OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 02:11:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Escape Hatch  (Read 3150 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« on: July 27, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »

The recent bull**** in Ireland has made me realize something. Protestantism has a real blessing-the ability to leave. You don't have to deal with a hierarchy or pastor when it's corrupt and self-serving and refuses to let justice be done, to show love. You can kick the dust off your shoes and not have any earthly connection to whatever pig in a cassock (or suit and tie) who laid his sick hands on your child or monk who's scamming money from people or the money-whore bishops or denominational leaders or church boards who hide them from accountability.

You can leave the church, you can leave the denomination, you can even form a house church like Christians used to when satan stirred up evil against them. Thank God for the freedom to break off ties. I wish the EO and RC had that kind of safety hatch because trust is becoming a mighty thin commodity these days.  Undecided

When Sodom and Gomorra have come inside the church, Love (not Pride) gives them a way out.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 07:16:49 AM »

Unfortunately, most people leave their (Protestant) churches because "they don't sing the old hymns anymore" "all they sing is the old hymns" "the pastor preaches boring sermons" "I don't like red carpets".

I'm not sure how running away and abandoning a problem will help solve it. There's nothing to prevent even worse things happening when one strikes off on his own.

Jesus did warn us about wolves amongst us (Matthew 7). He also preached and prayed for unity (John 17).
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:17:08 AM »

Certainly a double-edged sword!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »

While you have the "freedom" to leave (and why can't you "leave" the RCC and the EOC/OOC again?), don't you think that more than 20 churches of one denomination in one town is a really sad result? Until I came to Orthodoxy, I thought that splinter, independent churches were awesome. Now, I see them as people who refuse to work together and start a new church out of pride. THEY know how to do it the right way, and no other church within spitting distance does.

I really don't see it as a positive thing, honestly.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:26:49 AM »

Very much so, but how can one stay in the wolf den and expect to be fed? I'm beginning to think the Essenes were on to something staying from the Temple.
Unfortunately, most people leave their (Protestant) churches because "they don't sing the old hymns anymore" "all they sing is the old hymns" "the pastor preaches boring sermons" "I don't like red carpets".
Yes, I call them, "idiots."

I'm not sure how running away and abandoning a problem will help solve it.
Assuming it's solvable. Are the various abuse situations solvable? I'm beginning to doubt.
There's nothing to prevent even worse things happening when one strikes off on his own.
Then you keep going.
Jesus did warn us about wolves amongst us (Matthew 7). He also preached and prayed for unity (John 17).
Unity with officials who care more about saving face than the safety of the flock? How?
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:31:11 AM »

I think in America we have more freedom of religious choice than many other countries in the world.  I'm not sure it's just at Orthodox vs Protestant thing.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »

(and why can't you "leave" the RCC and the EOC/OOC again?),
You can leave, but you're risking your soul according to their doctrine.

don't you think that more than 20 churches of one denomination in one town is a really sad result?
Very sad. I'm not defending 90% of church splits (the ones over petty crap), just the ones that resulted from getting away from abusers (if any of these exist).
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »

I think in America we have more freedom of religious choice than many other countries in the world.  I'm not sure it's just at Orthodox vs Protestant thing.
Sure. But at least Protestantism allows it theologically.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 07:37:52 AM »

In the last five minutes of history, perhaps. They were all burning each other at the stake ten minutes ago.

You kinda need to accept religious pluralism when you've allowed your confession to splinter to such a degree that anything else would make you look incredibly stupid.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »

I think in America we have more freedom of religious choice than many other countries in the world.  I'm not sure it's just at Orthodox vs Protestant thing.

In the last five minutes of history, perhaps. They were all burning each other at the stake ten minutes ago.

You kinda need to accept religious pluralism when you've allowed your confession to splinter to such a degree that anything else would make you look incredibly stupid.

Yes, historically most people didn't get to choose.  If the Lord of the manor was a Protestant then all the vassals under him were too.  The average Joe couldn't just get mad at the pastor and decide he wanted to be something else - he'd probably get his head lopped off for his troubles instead.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:41:30 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 07:52:36 AM »

There do seem to seem to have always been princes of a certain tolerance for what ever reason.

Regardless, I suppose this just points to what a blessing it is to live in this time and place. I'm sure God had special mercy on those who could not go anywhere.

Thank God for doctrinal innovation?
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »

There do seem to seem to have always been princes of a certain tolerance for what ever reason.

Regardless, I suppose this just points to what a blessing it is to live in this time and place. I'm sure God had special mercy on those who could not go anywhere.

Thank God for doctrinal innovation?

And yet cuius regio eius religio is a principle of international law.

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »

There's nothing to prevent even worse things happening when one strikes off on his own.
Then you keep going.
And where does one go when "everybody else is wrong"?
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 08:29:16 AM »

Then you keep going.
Nowhere-and hope this doesn't mean the gates of hell have triumphed.
Obviously hasn't led to you being "Australian, therefore Anglican."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:30:25 AM by Volnutt » Logged
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »

I think you have raised a very difficult issue.

Let's not talk about the sort of people who get called 'spiritual gypsies', who never settle in any church for long but are constantly moving on to a different church after a short sojourn. Their reasons are not usually taken seriously.

But there are times when one feels strongly constrained to leave a church, and I think there are four principles - probably rather more than these four! - which command our thought.

1. As far as I am aware, the NT never counsels people to leave their local church, despite the heresy, immorality and tyranny we see depicted in such letters as Corinthians, John, Revelation 2-3. So I think the basic, foremost principle is to stay if one can find a way of doing so.

2. I suspect it is sometimes right to leave over doctrinal issues, but the problem is deciding which doctrines are so important and fundamental as to justify a breach of fellowship if they are abandoned or denied, and which would be better tolerated on the basis of the principle in my previous paragraph. Matters like the Trinity, the humanity and deity of Christ, the way of salvation are probably sufficiently non-negotiable as to justify separation. What of infant/believers baptism? inerrancy, predestination, a second blessing, spiritual gifts, female pastors? People separate over these: maybe even over eschatology. Here we are moving into greyer areas, and I suspect that what is non-negotiable for one person will be open to compromise for another. Deciding is not easy for a person of strong views or tender conscience.

3. Then there are splits over personal matters. People were not counselled to leave Diotrephes' church in the NT and start another in the same town. Yet I confess that my wife and I have indeed left a church over just such an issue: one man founded a church near where we live, some years before we arrived in the town, and we decided we ought to worship there if we could. When we, and perhaps a good third of the congregation, left en masse, it was not over the man's doctrines, but over how he ran the church. To liken him to Diotrephes would probably insult neither of them. He ran the church unilaterally, by decree, brooked no contradiction, and was callous to people who were hurt or troubled by his words and deeds - a bully and tyrant driven to lord it over God's flock. The 'church' seemed not Christ-centred, but centred on its founder and leader - a society for admiring him, with a religious flavour. We left. Were we wrong? I hope not, and we still attend a church at the other side of town, which we migrated to over twenty years ago after the exodus from the one I have described.

4. Finally, there are cultural reasons why people leave. Someone earlier gave the constant choice of hymn or song type as a reason. It sounds trivial; maybe it is. But what if the style of worship is perpetually such as one comes away snarling and irritated every Sunday? Is it better to leave and find somewhere more congenial? If, for example, it were a diet of the kind of singing one found grating and irritating - old fashioned hymns full of thees and thous, or mindless, shallow ditties of recent composure, or loud thumping music, or whatever - what is one to do? Happily I don't face this problem, but I know many do. Of course, it may not be the songs, but other aspects of the perceived style, such as irreverent informality or the hide-bound respectability of a bygone century.

In short, the basic principle I would urge on people is to worship in or as near as possible to their neighbourhood. We should never break fellowship for trivial, fickle reasons. But some leave with deep sorrow and much heart-searching. I do not feel I can say they are always wrong.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:11:35 AM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 09:28:03 AM »

You make some good points. I definitely wrestle with #1. Mostly I'm thinking of extreme cases of #3 (such as undealt with abuse, sexual or otherwise). This, it seems to me, is something the leaders of the RCC and the Orthodox Churches have shown themselves to be unable and/or unwilling to deal with and it makes me wonder if it should trump all considerations of theology as I consider converting to Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:28:58 AM by Volnutt » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »

(and why can't you "leave" the RCC and the EOC/OOC again?),
You can leave, but you're risking your soul according to their doctrine.

This.

I have an issue with this statement:  according to their doctrine...

It seems to me that folks jump around looking for a "church" that fits their own personal likes/dislikes....and whose doctrine fits in with their lifestyle.

Some would prefer to go to church wearing flip flops, singing and clapping their hands during service, and getting a loud boisterous feel good sermon.

Well folks, that's not a Liturgy....that's a Pep Rally!

People let their bodies pick their faith, not their souls.

According to their doctrine!

Sure, join a church that states everyone is already saved and everyone who proclaims their belief in Christ is heading for heaven!  Yippy!  I can do what I want, say what I want, be as lazy, careless, selfish as I want....and while my lips say I believe in Christ....I am SAVED!  Allelujah!

Please.

Lets take a history student for example.  They are interested and love American history.  They want to get to know it better.  Experience it better. 
Are they going to go the Museum of Modern Art to learn about it?  No.  They are going to head back to the "old" places....they go visit the reinactments, they go to Valley Forge, they marvel how people used live and govern themselves.  They pour over the old documents and they buy a feather quill at the gift shop to bring some of that nastalgic feeling home with them.

If you yearn for the True Church of God, you don't go visit the newly founded so called church around the corner.  You go back to the roots.  You read about and visit the original Church - the Orthodox Church.

Yes, it has it's "rules" such as fasting, dressing modestly, praying, helping others, being nice to others, loving God and living a Christ-like life.  However, you are not condemened if you forget to pray, or don't keep the fast.  This is between you and God.  Not you and the Church.

Escape hatch?  You need and escape hatch? 

What we need an escape hatch from is this world, with all it's corruption, lies, and games.  Our Escape Hatch is the Church.

Get to know it, get to love it....and there's no better place to be either in this world or the next.

Granted, not all Orthodox Churches or clergy are perfect.  If you happen upon a rotten apple, try to get it out of the barrel before it spoils the other apples.  However, if you've gone to the bishop, and are worried the bishop is corrupt, as well.....go to another Orthodox Church.  You've got plenty to choose from.

There is nothing to stop you from going to another Orthodox Church, except yourself and your worries.

You may find corruption everywhere in this world.  The Church is not of this world....but, the people in it are.

Don't leave the Church because you've encountered some bad apples.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »

You make some good points. I definitely wrestle with #1. Mostly I'm thinking of extreme cases of #3 (such as undealt with abuse, sexual or otherwise). This, it seems to me, is something the leaders of the RCC and the Orthodox Churches have shown themselves to be unable and/or unwilling to deal with and it makes me wonder if it should trump all considerations of theology as I consider converting to Orthodoxy.

I cannot speak for the RC, but, why do you say the Orthodox Church is unwilling to deal with abuse?

Again, keep in mind.... one church and one Bishop....do not constitute the Church.

I've heard of misbehaviour, but, it certainly is not running rampant throughout the Orthodox Church.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »

I cannot speak for the RC, but, why do you say the Orthodox Church is unwilling to deal with abuse?

Again, keep in mind.... one church and one Bishop....do not constitute the Church.

I've heard of misbehaviour, but, it certainly is not running rampant throughout the Orthodox Church.

How many times in recent memory have bishops and abbots all across the globe been caught with their hands in the coffers? How many sex abuse cases are there? Not as many as the RC but definitely in the triple digits at least. Spend some time looking through pokrov.org They say right there on the site, they have never seen Church leaders adequately handle an abuse case. In fact in advocacy circles it's practically axiomatic-[i]do not go to Church authorities first. Do not meet with them alone.[/i] Yes, Orthodoxy's woes are on a smaller scale, but things do seem to be just as rotten. Just ask some of our Russian or Greek about how wonderful their hierarchies are too.

Sure, join a church that states everyone is already saved and everyone who proclaims their belief in Christ is heading for heaven!  Yippy!  I can do what I want, say what I want, be as lazy, careless, selfish as I want....and while my lips say I believe in Christ....I am SAVED!  Allelujah!
Really? This old saw? Classic Protestant theology has always maintained that a faith which produces no works is a false faith. Antinomianism has only in the past couple of decades crept in from the fringe via Zane Hodges and Charles Stanley and it's still a far minority view among people with two or more brain cells.

Lets take a history student for example.  They are interested and love American history.  They want to get to know it better.  Experience it better. 
Are they going to go the Museum of Modern Art to learn about it?  No.  They are going to head back to the "old" places....they go visit the reinactments, they go to Valley Forge, they marvel how people used live and govern themselves.  They pour over the old documents and they buy a feather quill at the gift shop to bring some of that nastalgic feeling home with them.

If you yearn for the True Church of God, you don't go visit the newly founded so called church around the corner.  You go back to the roots.  You read about and visit the original Church - the Orthodox Church.
Yes, some idea of an invisible Church would be needed here, but if the Orthodox Church is completely corrupt then I'm choosing that over the idea that Christ lied about His Church enduring.

Granted, not all Orthodox Churches or clergy are perfect.  If you happen upon a rotten apple, try to get it out of the barrel before it spoils the other apples.  However, if you've gone to the bishop, and are worried the bishop is corrupt, as well.....go to another Orthodox Church.  You've got plenty to choose from.

There is nothing to stop you from going to another Orthodox Church, except yourself and your worries.
I hope you're right. I rather have my doubts though.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »

scandal and human failings are in every Christian tradition on earth.  If that is your primary criteria for joining any church you will have a hard time indeed.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »

scandal and human failings are in every Christian tradition on earth.  If that is your primary criteria for joining any church you will have a hard time indeed.
Exactly. But Orthodox theology assumes the Church is one visible organization. If that organization becomes intolerable, where are we to turn? The only recourse is "staying home," which is sinful-but I don't believe God would put anyone in a situation where they have to sin.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »

scandal and human failings are in every Christian tradition on earth.  If that is your primary criteria for joining any church you will have a hard time indeed.
Exactly. But Orthodox theology assumes the Church is one visible organization. If that organization becomes intolerable, where are we to turn? The only recourse is "staying home," which is sinful-but I don't believe God would put anyone in a situation where they have to sin.

so are you saying that if one parish priest or one bishop is a scoundrel then the whole Orthodox church unworthy?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:50:46 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »

What? I want examples. How would staying in a "completely corrupt" Orthodox church FORCE us to sin?

And by the way, this reminds me of a story of a woman at our last church. She had a tumultuous relationship with the pastor (I think he was controlling certain aspects of her life or something), and when she wanted to leave, someone told her, "But if you leave, who's going to pray for him to change and actually stand up to him?"

Now, I don't know if I quite agree with that, but in theory, there is a point to it. We make up the church. So if we so-called "good" people leave the "corrupt" true Church without influencing it and praying for the imperfect clergy, what's left? We'll start our own churches and the cycle will repeat again. The splinters keep happening and happening. There is no church that is "happily settled" and at the end of the line. People keep creating and creating and moving and breaking off and creating. (And I'm not just even talking about within churches; I am talking about denominations in general)

Where is the unity in that? Where is the striving in that?

Question, do you think that we are all in the Orthodox Church or choosing the Orthodox Church because we like to be trapped?

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

scandal and human failings are in every Christian tradition on earth.  If that is your primary criteria for joining any church you will have a hard time indeed.

so are you saying that if one parish priest or one bishop is a scoundrel then the whole Orthodox church unworthy?
No, when almost all of them are to the extent that one can't even let them near their children.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:42 PM »

What? I want examples. How would staying in a "completely corrupt" Orthodox church FORCE us to sin?
When the only alternative left is not going to church at all and breaking the command in Hebrews to assemble together.

And by the way, this reminds me of a story of a woman at our last church. She had a tumultuous relationship with the pastor (I think he was controlling certain aspects of her life or something), and when she wanted to leave, someone told her, "But if you leave, who's going to pray for him to change and actually stand up to him?"

Now, I don't know if I quite agree with that, but in theory, there is a point to it. We make up the church. So if we so-called "good" people leave the "corrupt" true Church without influencing it and praying for the imperfect clergy, what's left? We'll start our own churches and the cycle will repeat again. The splinters keep happening and happening. There is no church that is "happily settled" and at the end of the line. People keep creating and creating and moving and breaking off and creating. (And I'm not just even talking about within churches; I am talking about denominations in general)

Where is the unity in that? Where is the striving in that?
I'm not saying splintering should be done lightly and I'm not saying it will lead to some kind of perfect Church (which can't exist). I'm just it's sometimes a necessary evil but in Orthodoxy it's forbidden.

Question, do you think that we are all in the Orthodox Church or choosing the Orthodox Church because we like to be trapped?
Certainly not. You just chose to accept it as a necessary part of the package. I'm not sure I can do that.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »

Intolerable? By who's standard? You don't get to judge the Church and neither do any of us. Why are you the arbiter of what is or isn't tolerable? You are called to be a part of it and participate in it no matter what; that is reality. Just because it doesn't fit your sensibilities you can't throw it away. We all are error, clergy included. That doesn't make the Church any less. It should only humble us further.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:23:24 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 12:28:54 PM »

Intolerable? By who's standard? You don't get to judge the Church and neither do any of us. Why are you the arbiter of what is or isn't tolerable? You are called to be a part of it and participate in it no matter what; that is reality. Just because it doesn't fit your sensibilities you can't throw it away. We all are error, clergy included. That doesn't make the Church any less. It should only humble us further.
I'm not talking about doctrinal errors, I'm talking about rampant sexual and financial scandals. Who can grow in Christ in such an environment?
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:35 PM »

I'm not talking about doctrinal errors, I'm talking about rampant sexual and financial scandals. Who can grow in Christ in such an environment?

Is the environment better outside the Church? If we did church all alone with just our Bible, don't we have just as much vileness inside ourselves? I mean I sympathize with where you're coming from but the actions of hierarches can't change how and why we worship. We're not there to validate them and they don't validate us, however, the Apostles set the Church up a certain way. That way included using fallible, sinful humans as leaders. We can't become disillusioned when people, even Bishops/Priests, act like people.

This is almost like Donatism which said a Priests sinfulness effects the sacraments he performs. That was condemned as heresy. The moral worthiness of a Bishop/Priest has nothing to do with the validity of the Church.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:58 PM »

How many sex abuse cases are there? Not as many as the RC but definitely in the triple digits at least. Spend some time looking through pokrov.org They say right there on the site, they have never seen Church leaders adequately handle an abuse case. In fact in advocacy circles it's practically axiomatic-[i]do not go to Church authorities first. Do not meet with them alone.[/i] Yes, Orthodoxy's woes are on a smaller scale, but things do seem to be just as rotten. Just ask some of our Russian or Greek about how wonderful their hierarchies are too.
Why do you believe pokrov.org a credible source of information?
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »

On the contrary, true Orthodox ecclesiology is Eucharistic, not organizational. The local assembly, gathered around their bishop, is the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. It would be better to speak about the Orthodox Communion than the "Orthodox Church." For the Church is manifested on the local level, each one around its bishop complete and full, lacking nothing. Churches, then, are in communion with one another for mutual support on the external level. The organizational aspect does not constitute the ontology of the Church.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »

On the contrary, true Orthodox ecclesiology is Eucharistic, not organizational. The local assembly, gathered around their bishop, is the One Holy Catholic & Apostolic Church. It would be better to speak about the Orthodox Communion than the "Orthodox Church." For the Church is manifested on the local level, each one around its bishop complete and full, lacking nothing. Churches, then, are in communion with one another for mutual support on the external level. The organizational aspect does not constitute the ontology of the Church.

Good point. I didn't think about that.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »

Classic Protestant theology

It's an oxymoron.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »

Haven't read much of the Lives of the Saints yet, eh? Wink

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »

You're doing a good job complaining in this thread. Do you think you'd be unable to keep at it, at an even higher frequency, if your Orthodox bishop protects abusers or commits other crimes? Read church history. People did not give up Orthodoxy even when the emperor and the patriarch were heretics. They even organized mobs and riots--regrettable, but they didn't have legal recourse back then. Bishops were deposed by force, emperors were torn apart in the streets. Nowadays we have nasty lawsuits, angry telephone calls, protests, etc--all pretty effective. Also today, there's a lot of trumped-up hype to make people angry and, therefore useless. God will not leave the Church without good bishops. It's His Church, and he's jealous of it. There have been times when many bad bishops nearly destroyed the Church, but then they suddenly died. The Church is saved by God, who has and probably will again, help her through the timely deaths of her misguiding bishops.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 02:31:44 PM »

This is said by someone who is clearly outside of the Orthodox church.  Yes, I know you're still an inquirer, but this statement makes it pretty obvious.  I don't know what you're talking about.  You seem to be seeing a boogie man behind every tree.  I entered the Orthodox church in the OCA during the financial scandal... I still didn't find it as bad as the nightmare you seem to think it was.  Yes, it was unfortunate, yes it was sad and disappointing.  But I belong to a local parish and on a Sunday morning it just didn't come up during Liturgy and rarely effected my daily life as an Orthodox christian.... unless I went hunting for it on the internet.  Did I want Met. Herman gone - you bet.  Did I want the scandal to go away - of course.  But, I never once felt that because of this unfortunate blip on the radar that the whole church was filled with "rampant sexual and financial scandals".   I recommend you stay away from places like pokrov.org ... they may serve a useful service to a point... but they are also there to  sensationalize.  
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 02:36:24 PM »

For the record, with all the people who have been telling me that I have "freedom in Christ" for the past 5 or 6 years, I feel like I'm truly free in Christ now. I don't need an "escape hatch." That's what the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are, even when the Church looks like it's a mess.

(Hopefully this mindset will continue for the rest of my life! Wink )

--
--
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »

How many times in recent memory have bishops and abbots all across the globe been caught with their hands in the coffers? How many sex abuse cases are there? Not as many as the RC but definitely in the triple digits at least. Spend some time looking through pokrov.org They say right there on the site, they have never seen Church leaders adequately handle an abuse case. In fact in advocacy circles it's practically axiomatic-[i]do not go to Church authorities first. Do not meet with them alone.[/i] Yes, Orthodoxy's woes are on a smaller scale, but things do seem to be just as rotten. Just ask some of our Russian or Greek about how wonderful their hierarchies are too.

Really? This old saw? Classic Protestant theology has always maintained that a faith which produces no works is a false faith. Antinomianism has only in the past couple of decades crept in from the fringe via Zane Hodges and Charles Stanley and it's still a far minority view among people with two or more brain cells.

Yes, some idea of an invisible Church would be needed here, but if the Orthodox Church is completely corrupt then I'm choosing that over the idea that Christ lied about His Church enduring.

I hope you're right. I rather have my doubts though.

Why do you judge the clergy more harshly than yourself? See to becoming a saint yourself, then maybe those who aren't saints will follow your example. Until you can accept the blame for your neighbor's sin because of your lack of virtue, you have no business pointing at his sins. In the Orthodox Church, there is an established order for dealing with clergy who create scandal. A priest is corrected by his bishop, and a bishop by the synod of bishops. If someone is victimized or if someone knows of an incident, they seek justice. But general moral indignation is not, I don't think, profitable for anyone. Lots of morally indignant people ended up being condemned by Christ.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

Volunutt.  You seem to be trusting in princes and sons of men.  I want to encourage you trust in God and in His Church.  He does not abandon us and He has left us this glorious and wonderful gift of the Orthodox church. It is there to care for us and bring us to salvation.  Part of that is dealing with the mess that is the human condition, there is no way around that bit.  But the Church always rights Herself.   Instead of reading from pokrov.org, read about the lives of saints who suffered cruelly under church leaders.  See how they clung to the Truth and helped bring the Church back from error.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:41:26 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »

Volunutt.  You seem to be trusting in princes and sons of men.  I want to encourage you trust in God and in His Church.  He does not abandon us and He has left us this glorious and wonderful gift of the Orthodox church. It is there to care for us and bring us to salvation.  Part of that is dealing with the mess that is the human condition, there is no way around that bit.  But the Church always rights Herself.   Instead of reading from pokrov.org, read about the lives of saints who suffered cruelly under church leaders.  See how they clung to the Truth and helped bring the Church back from error.

I was so torn up in jurisdictional/calendar debates and always reading polemical websites, but once I did what PM suggests above (reading the lives of the Saints) a lot of that became of no interest to me. 

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 02:47:30 PM »

I agree to some extent about Pokrov. Do you know any of the people personally or the stories behind what's happened? Don't stress yourself out (not that you shouldn't report abuse where it happens. Of course you should.) about it. There are some vague accusations and some things that are questionable (putting a priest who had a supposedly consensual affair on a website for VICTIMS?).

Don't dwell on that too much or else you are going to drive yourself crazy. Been there.

PS Have you attended a service yet? (Sorry, I really don't know.) Maybe try that first before accusing a list of names of soiling the Church as a whole?

--
--
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »

The argument concerning the scandals and not being able to grow spiritually is a Non sequitur as the same can be said for any Protestant denomination. From Jimmy Swaggart's "I have sinned!" act to Ergun Caner knowingly fabricating his "islamic extremist" past.

Every stripe and color of Christian has sinned in a multitude of ways. Remember, Christianity started out with a scandal (Judas betraying the Lord).

You dont join (or not join) a church because of what the people have done, but by the truth it teaches.

The Church is not a country club for saints, but a hospital for sinners.

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »

Historically, when the leadership has been corrupt, men like St. Maximus the confessor resisted, even accepted excommunication, but didn't go off and form their own new church. Many times, communities refuse to obey or commune corrupt hierarchs and enter into de-facto schism because of this. Often times this is only temporary (see majority of ROCOR).

But ROCOR didn't start a new church.

Trying to escape humans acting human by starting your own little dualist heresy (crappy humans down there, saints up here) isn't the answer. It's also why I could never be an anabaptist.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 03:38:32 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »

I'd say that in the Orthodox Church you "protest" by changing parish, or diocese, or, in the case of the West, even jurisdictions.

If you know that a priest or bishop is acting abusevely, but not criminally (in which case you should be calling the police if you have proof), then the first thing is to think how would you deal with it if it were your father or your mother. Would you simply "divorce" from them? Or would try to find an arrangement in which the relation still exists although not in an ideal form? Of course, it all depends on the kind of abuse. This is sufficient to understand why so many people cover up even crimes for priests or bishops. Let's say you find out one of your parents had committed a crime. If you found out that your grandfather touched your kid-nephew 20 years ago would you send him to a retirement house far from kids or would you really deliver him to the cops to be sent to a prison and probably he himself be molested there? Would you really denounce him/her with indifference? Or would you try to put him/her in a position that crime was no longer committed and bury the incident?

I'm not justifying it, but just trying to show the depth of the moral storm that happens inside the people who have to make the right choice about it. I know that if I were the authority supervising the criminal I would take the tough measures.

But back to the non-criminal abuses. Are we to advise kids to leave their parents because they are rude, stubborn or sing old songs? Are we to tell kids to leave their parents because their parents don't leave up to the nobility of this calling (again, not criminal, but maybe bossy, maybe ignorant, maybe didn't really want to be in that position).

If the problem is too undealable, yes, the person changes parishes, not religion. The reason we can't change parishes that often and Protestants can, is because here in the Americas you have many Roman, Baptist, Assemblies of God etc churches in most cities and towns, while, in those cities that do have Orthodox parishes, chances are you have just one or two. You can't change parishes because mostly there aren't any other. I suspect that in Orthodox countries people changing parishes is something more common than here in the Americas.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:43:10 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Seraphim Rose
President of Democracy

Faith: [Eastern] Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

2000 Years of Ninjas Wailing on Guitar

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

I think another response to the OP might be this: what are the fruits of separating from the mother church? Harmony, or more disunity? When we leave the mother church, it is not the same as leaving a mother and father and cleaving to a wife. Leaving the "corrupt" church behind is not part of "growing up" as a Christian. It is more like a divorce, tearing asunder what God has knit together. Leaving the mother church makes reconciliation much more difficult. (Please understand, there is only one Church -- Orthodoxy -- so the idea of "mother church" is flawed, unless it is Orthodoxy that we mean by that term.)

In my youth, I witnessed 3 splits in the Protestant church community my family belonged to. Which of those branches was pure and holy? Forgiveness and repentance are the only means of holiness. Chasing some ideal of purity is no such means. That ideal of purity, I am now beginning to question even as satanic. That spirit is a cruel master that enslaves and destroys souls through compulsive religiosity. One thing I certainly do not miss from my Pre-Catholic days as an Evangelical was a terror of being contaminated by the world.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 07:06:44 PM by Seraphim Rose » Logged

It ain't who you know. It's what who you know know.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of our lord and savior jesus christ!

The recent bull**** in Ireland has made me realize something. Protestantism has a real blessing-the ability to leave. You don't have to deal with a hierarchy or pastor when it's corrupt and self-serving and refuses to let justice be done, to show love. You can kick the dust off your shoes and not have any earthly connection to whatever pig in a cassock (or suit and tie) who laid his sick hands on your child or monk who's scamming money from people or the money-whore bishops or denominational leaders or church boards who hide them from accountability.

I think you are reading it backwards.  Protestantism allows people to walk away, but real life doesn't.  Just because you leave a problem doesn't make it go away, if anything in time in only exasperates the situation worse!  Further, in real life we can't walk away or abandon or problems, the only way to really do that is suicide Sad  No, God forces us in our existence to accept our limits in reality and so the seeming flaws and problems within our Churches are just a manifestation of this same principle. As in all events of our lives, God is really in all control, so when things get the harshest and make the least sense, these are the moments when we can't run away but rather in God's Grace but stand there in prayer, and even sometimes run towards to flames to help extinguish them in Love.

really you are just rephrasing the question, "why do bad things happen to good people?" and we know the answer is that "who knows? its up to God in all things and to God we must turn in all things."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »

Cry I need to apologize to you guys. I've been terrible in this thread. You all make such good points and all I've done was lash out in anger.

I'll try to take your advice. Please pray for me.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »

Yes, but this is a result of the last five minutes of history, not some kind of theological advantage deeply embedded in protestantism: cf. Calvin's Geneva.

This idea that many conservative and theologically-aware protestants have (I class you amongst them as a compliment) that we all confess the Nicene Creed so we're all spiritually okay really did not exist until five minutes ago, historically. Not only that, as you know, I have challenged you in other threads as to how much many modern protestants really confess the Nicene faith and will continue to do so because I truly believe many of them do not.

I truly do not recognise the God of Calvin (or, perhaps more correctly: the Calvinists) as the God of my Fathers, and yet I don't believe Calvin would have been afraid to recite the Nicene Creed. Leaving aside ecclesiology and the Lord's promises that the Spirit will guide his church, do you really believe I would be doing myself no spiritual damage by leaving the Holy Tables of Orthodoxy to worship at Calvin's altar? For ecclesiology, if you find the Orthodox take on it so troubling, but the inescapable bottom line is this: doctrine matters.

Cry I need to apologize to you guys. I've been terrible in this thread. You all make such good points and all I've done was lash out in anger.

I echo Asteriktos' point re sincerity and will add that a person who is willing to continually examine himself and make apology makes not only the better interlocutor but the better Christian.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:24:22 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »

Don't sweat it, generally people around here aren't going to hold it against anyone for disagreeing, even vehemently at times. One of the things I like about this forum is that, while many people (myself included) will get into arguments and even mud-slinging on some threads, sincerity is still prized and goes a long way. Smiley

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Seraphim Rose
President of Democracy

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:08 PM »

Don't sweat it, generally people around here aren't going to hold it against anyone for disagreeing, even vehemently at times. One of the things I like about this forum is that, while many people (myself included) will get into arguments and even mud-slinging on some threads, sincerity is still prized and goes a long way. Smiley

I think the invectives and polemics around here kick *ss. There is a kind of dispassionate zeal that is utterly refreshing in this world of political correctness vs. fundamentalism.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »

Yes, but this is a result of the last five minutes of history, not some kind of theological advantage deeply embedded in protestantism: cf. Calvin's Geneva.

This idea that many conservative and theologically-aware protestants have (I class you amongst them as a compliment) that we all confess the Nicene Creed so we're all spiritually okay really did not exist until five minutes ago, historically. Not only that, as you know, I have challenged you in other threads as to how much many modern protestants really confess the Nicene faith and will continue to do so because I truly believe many of them do not.

I truly do not recognise the God of Calvin (or, perhaps more correctly: the Calvinists) as the God of my Fathers, and yet I don't believe Calvin would have been afraid to recite the Nicene Creed. Leaving aside ecclesiology and the Lord's promises that the Spirit will guide his church, do you really believe I would be doing myself no spiritual damage by leaving the Holy Tables of Orthodoxy to worship at Calvin's altar? For ecclesiology, if you find the Orthodox take on it so troubling, but the inescapable bottom line is this: doctrine matters.
Yes, the the falseness in much of Protestant theology is still something I'm trying to come to grips with. And no, I don't think you'd be doing yourself no damage. Actually, part of me still holds out hope Orthodoxy could be the best without being the only. laugh *sigh*...

I echo Asteriktos' point re sincerity and will add that a person who is willing to continually examine himself and make apology makes not only the better interlocutor but the better Christian.
Thanks.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »

It's easier once you're in the Church, trust me.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »

Volnutt, nothing personal on my side, either. I am coming from where you come from, so I feel just as strongly about it. Your doubts and misgivings are nothing to discount, as if you are coming in to the Church, you should come into it with full willingness and acceptance.

As a humble catechumen, I will say a prayer for you as well. It's not easy to make a decision when you're bombarded with all this information. Reading about the scandals certainly put a damper on my Orthodox zeal. Reading the Church Fathers about spiritual matters and staying away from polemics for the time being has helped a lot.

--
--
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »

greetings in that divine and most precious name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Considering the situation within the Catholic Church its completely understandable, there is a good deal to get rightfully get upset about. It must be extremely trying on folks' faith and endurance to be able to stay focused in such circumstances. But getting all Protestant about things is really how we got into these kinds of messes in the first place.  My opinion of sincere Protestants is that when they choose in any era to leave the Church then some of the brightest and most pious folks leave and in so doing leave behind those worst that they were upset about.  Rather, they should stick it out in faith of the Divine Mysteries/Sacraments and allow God in His Grace and time to heal all the wounds and either bring any scoundrels to repentance or drive them away, but the good folks shouldn't be the first to start packing that is backwards. 

While in Orthodox we may not be currently dealing with crises of similar proportion as to what has been happening in the Catholic Church, still we have plenty of our own gripe.  The key is to take in prayer, and not to get discouraged, as the Apostle Paul told us, "We must not grow weary while doing good."

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2011, 06:32:22 AM »

It's easier once you're in the Church, trust me.

and

Volnutt, nothing personal on my side, either. I am coming from where you come from, so I feel just as strongly about it. Your doubts and misgivings are nothing to discount, as if you are coming in to the Church, you should come into it with full willingness and acceptance.

As a humble catechumen, I will say a prayer for you as well. It's not easy to make a decision when you're bombarded with all this information. Reading about the scandals certainly put a damper on my Orthodox zeal. Reading the Church Fathers about spiritual matters and staying away from polemics for the time being has helped a lot.

what they said. 

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2011, 08:32:25 AM »

You can leave the local church if the pastor is abusive, but then others are left to face his abuse.

Within the Orthodox Church, if the priest is doing something abusive, then he can be removed by the Bishop. The local body is not broken and the universal body continues onward.

If that can't happen, you can always change parishes (assuming your town has more than one orthodox parish).

Trust me, I understand what you're talking about because I've lived through problems with a pastor. But the idea that we can "just leave" doesn't work either, because you're still going to a church in that area. In my case, the pastor (and others) from the church I was leaving called the church they found out I was attending. Even when I moved out of the state they called some of the churches in the area I was moving to in order to "warn" them about me. So if your pastor is especially vengeful then there is no leaving the problem - it'll follow you around.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

Trust me, I understand what you're talking about because I've lived through problems with a pastor. But the idea that we can "just leave" doesn't work either, because you're still going to a church in that area. In my case, the pastor (and others) from the church I was leaving called the church they found out I was attending. Even when I moved out of the state they called some of the churches in the area I was moving to in order to "warn" them about me. So if your pastor is especially vengeful then there is no leaving the problem - it'll follow you around.

Shocked Shocked  Good grief!  That's is awful.  Doesn't sound very pastoral either.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »

Then there are exceptions:
Does anyone think I should just ask FrChris permission to access the private fora even though I haven't even been here for two weeks? I guess it couldn't hurt to try.
So... should I? I just want to get advice from more experienced posters on OC.net so I don't look like a complete fool for asking him prematurely. But, I assume 'one month' means 'one month'. I was just wondering if there were any exceptions.

I heard a story about someone who was here 3 weeks and asked FrChris to join the private fora. FrChris showed up at his house and murdered his entire family.

How did you hear about that event? I thought all the witnesses had 'disappeared'.... Wink

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2011, 09:07:39 AM »

You can leave the church, you can leave the denomination, you can even form a house church like Christians used to when satan stirred up evil against them. Thank God for the freedom to break off ties. I wish the EO and RC had that kind of safety hatch because trust is becoming a mighty thin commodity these days.  Undecided

When Sodom and Gomorra have come inside the church, Love (not Pride) gives them a way out.
When a number of prominent evangelists were exposed, and the denomination to which they belonged attempted to discipline them, they simply left and continued on as business as usual.

Accountability is Apostolic.  The failure of the Vatican to exercise it doesn't change that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53:54 PM »

Then you keep going.
La petite eglise, the communion of one (sometimes literrally: someone I knew ran into a former Episopalian priest who was at least honest enough to recognize that no one believed as he did.  He would have daily mass and commune himself).

theo philosopher
Elder

Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:50 PM »

Shocked Shocked  Good grief!  That's is awful.  Doesn't sound very pastoral either.

Oh that's the lighter side of it too. It was actually far worse than that (it eventually led to me losing a scholarship at a Baptist college, even witha  4.2 GPA [honors courses counted, it was still a 4.0 scale]).

But on the other side, my parent's pastor is a wonderful man. He's extremely humble, he's very loving, he's generous, and has a true heart for God. Whereas many pastors I know want their congregations to help them, this pastor will go and help build a fence for a member who needs help or mow the grass for an elderly member (or send one of his sons to do it, or find someone who can do it if he can't). So it's not like all Protestant pastors are horrible. Smiley

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »

You can leave the local church if the pastor is abusive, but then others are left to face his abuse.

Within the Orthodox Church, if the priest is doing something abusive, then he can be removed by the Bishop. The local body is not broken and the universal body continues onward.

If that can't happen, you can always change parishes (assuming your town has more than one orthodox parish).

Yeah, that is pretty bad.  Sad
PrincessMommy
High Elder

OCA

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »

Oh that's the lighter side of it too. It was actually far worse than that (it eventually led to me losing a scholarship at a Baptist college, even witha  4.2 GPA [honors courses counted, it was still a 4.0 scale]).

But on the other side, my parent's pastor is a wonderful man. He's extremely humble, he's very loving, he's generous, and has a true heart for God. Whereas many pastors I know want their congregations to help them, this pastor will go and help build a fence for a member who needs help or mow the grass for an elderly member (or send one of his sons to do it, or find someone who can do it if he can't). So it's not like all Protestant pastors are horrible. Smiley

I agree.  I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly as well in my day...but your experience is quite the extreme.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:56 PM »

Then you keep going.
La petite eglise, the communion of one (sometimes literrally: someone I knew ran into a former Episopalian priest who was at least honest enough to recognize that no one believed as he did.  He would have daily mass and commune himself).
Exactly. In another thread, our friend, David Young, described a church he attended at one time that had been founded by one man. David Young and his wife had the good sense to leave when the problems became apparent.

I will admit, though, it's hard to learn to submit to another's authority and not seek one's own way. Sometimes it's hard to discern whether there really is a problem which is not of one's own doing or whether the problem is simply pride and arrogance.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2011, 04:50:32 PM »

Oh that's the lighter side of it too. It was actually far worse than that (it eventually led to me losing a scholarship at a Baptist college, even witha  4.2 GPA [honors courses counted, it was still a 4.0 scale]).

Your high school wasn't big on math?

I lulz at these ridiculous steps taken in suburbia or reclaimed urban schools.

I went to school in the sticks. Even those hillbillies knew on a 4.0 scale you couldn't get a grade above it.

Honors. lulz.

Our silly backwoods school I bet produced more National Merit Finalists than the closest "prestigious" school per class graduated.

EDIT: Oh that and violent criminals and meth addicts. Balance and all that.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:51:36 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »

My high school also went above the 4.0 GPA as well, weighted of course with AP/Honors courses. I had a friend of mine back in the day who tried too hard to get a 5.0.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

Oh that's the lighter side of it too. It was actually far worse than that (it eventually led to me losing a scholarship at a Baptist college, even witha  4.2 GPA [honors courses counted, it was still a 4.0 scale]).

I went to school in the sticks. Even those hillbillies knew on a 4.0 scale you couldn't get a grade above it.

Honors. lulz.

Our silly backwoods school I bet produced more National Merit Finalists than the closest "prestigious" school per class graduated.

And violent, meth addicted, National Merit Finalists?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »

Honors. lulz.

And violent, meth addicted, National Merit Finalists?

That would be my soul mate.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »

She'll spend all your money on battery acid, cough syrup, and books by Noam Chomsky.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »

She'll spend all your money on battery acid, cough syrup, and books by Noam Chomsky.

*ZING* Awesome! Well played.

Seraphim Rose
President of Democracy

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:58 PM »

Then you keep going.

"Wherever me, myself, and I are gathered..."

FountainPen
Is not wasting any more of her ink
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2011, 01:48:53 PM »

A lot of you make extremely good points in this thread. As i read through the replies, i thought about the various scandles that happened in the church i attended and other churches local to us that also had major scandles both financial and sexual. The church down the road from us (Elim) had both the pastors in a 'special' relationship with each other which broke up one of their marriages and seriously damaged the others' marriage. They are both still in their positions in the same church even today but the church went from 700, pretty sizable for some parts of the UK, to 50 or so members and is struggling to grow beyond that number even now.

Both of these churches call ahead to the new church a person goes to, which is considered a loving thing to do. Mainly to help prevent a person becoming a 'spiritual butterfly' and secondly, so that the Churches In Unity can keep tabs on people who go from one church to another causing trouble or leaving with business unfinished from their last church. It's a terrible thing to have happen because the new pastor tends to believe what the last pastor is telling them, no matter what the evidence is to suggest otherwise.

I wanted to provide support for the fact that this does happen.

I can also see what's being said about priests, bishops and pastors being fallllible human beings and it's not about how perfect the leaderships Christian lives are because we're all being saved. On one hand there are the abuses and scandles that see protestants leaving their churches and i did that, i can empathise, i left after my leader left because of a major injustice done to them by the other leaders in the church. On the other hand though, there are people in congragations who seek to control their (good and decent) church leaders for no other reason than personal gain sometimes status, power or both.

I'm thinking the way that Orthodoxy is structured, this wouldn't happen in your churches?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:53:23 PM by FountainPen » Logged

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. Mark Twain
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »

Then you keep going.
Exactly. In another thread, our friend, David Young, described a church he attended at one time that had been founded by one man. David Young and his wife had the good sense to leave when the problems became apparent.

I will admit, though, it's hard to learn to submit to another's authority and not seek one's own way. Sometimes it's hard to discern whether there really is a problem which is not of one's own doing or whether the problem is simply pride and arrogance.

And the beauty of the Orthodox church is that those that we are asked to submit ourselves to also submit to others.  Mutuality and whatnot. 
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »

I don't really hear that very much.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »

I'm thinking the way that Orthodoxy is structured, this wouldn't happen in your churches?

I think such things still do happen, but we have better mechanisms for correcting them.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: