Author Topic: Converts, candy and fiction... any other converts confused?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
Re: Converts, candy and fiction... any other converts confused?
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »
Don't worry, trick or treating will be a thing of the past soon, or a rare novelty act, like caroling. Parents are getting increasingly paranoid and protective and have started imposing simulations of the activity on their kids, at earlier and earlier hours. Kids near me were made to settle for a "Trunk or Treat" where the parents formed a circle of trunks in the parking lot of the school and the poor little wretches were compelled to go from trunk to trunk collecting candy. This is the pathetic, miserable, sniveling future of our country.
Wow.

Only had 6 kids stop by for candy, all of whom before 8pm.

I remember when parents really got into it, turning their houses into haunted tours and acting out whoever they dressed up as. It was an awesome event as a kid.

Chicago, Ohio, and Michigan still have that stuff.  Even in Chicago, people will make pretty elaborate hunted porches if they just have apartments.   I can't speak about Halloween alarmism though.  I thought when I was a kid in the early 90s that was the height, and everyone still had loads of fun without incident, and I lived in the Detroit area where Devils Night actually was something of an issue.

Halloween alarmist myths we have all heard:
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/halloween/a/Is-Halloween-Candy-Tampering-A-Myth.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:16:46 PM by William T »

Online NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 09:13:39 PM »
Eight here, and none after 9. My buddies and I used to be out until 11 with pillowcases.
Quote from: Pope Francis
Thank God he said I was a politician because Aristotle defined the human person as 'animal politicus.' So at least I am a human person.

Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 12:03:28 AM »
Don't worry, trick or treating will be a thing of the past soon, or a rare novelty act, like caroling. Parents are getting increasingly paranoid and protective and have started imposing simulations of the activity on their kids, at earlier and earlier hours. Kids near me were made to settle for a "Trunk or Treat" where the parents formed a circle of trunks in the parking lot of the school and the poor little wretches were compelled to go from trunk to trunk collecting candy. This is the pathetic, miserable, sniveling future of our country.

It was only a matter of time before helicopter parenting became that extreme.

Please.  I haven't heard anyone getting their kids' candy X-rayed as in the late'80s, early '90s.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 12:09:35 AM »
Do they still pass out the paper to children to take home to their parents about strangers who hand out superman fake tattoos laced with PCP and LSD?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 12:14:32 AM »

Please.  I haven't heard anyone getting their kids' candy X-rayed as in the late'80s, early '90s.
You haven't heard about it because it is no longer an oddity. Its mainstream now.

http://www.today.com/parents/paranoid-parents-x-ray-halloween-candy-crazy-or-smart-1C7398127
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2015, 12:44:11 AM »
This is it:
http://www.halloween-website.com/blue_star.htm

Our school used to hand that flyer out every year

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 12:47:38 AM »

You haven't heard about it because it is no longer an oddity. Its mainstream now.

http://www.today.com/parents/paranoid-parents-x-ray-halloween-candy-crazy-or-smart-1C7398127

Kids are more likely to die from getting hit by a car on Halloween night than being poisoned by the Texas Lucifer worship group.  What a bunch of wusses.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
    • Blog
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 12:49:28 AM »
Do they still pass out the paper to children to take home to their parents about strangers who hand out superman fake tattoos laced with PCP and LSD?

That was a scare tactic announced every year at the local IFB church.  Rather, bring your kids to blow snot in a bucket of water and apples here in the church parking lot so they can all get sick.  Candy corn will be handed out.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2015, 12:58:11 AM »
Our whole public school system handed them out, and it was announced on our local news.  It was a widespread thing I think.  If I remember correct, the public school handed them out, our Catholic school may not have.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:00:14 AM by William T »

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
(I'm guessing you're part of NanoWrimo from the avatar, by the way. Hope the keys keep clicking away all November long for you, brave soul! I've attempted but never made it very far, myself.)

If you want to write, just write, IMO. Don't tie it to gimmicks like NaNoWriMo. Commit to something measurable and consistent, e.g. at least one paragraph a day. Even if it's crap, that's part of the process. I'm starting my third novel now.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Wow.

I remember when parents really got into it, turning their houses into haunted tours and acting out whoever they dressed up as. It was an awesome event as a kid.

Last year, I don't remember anyone coming by, so I didn't bother with candy this year.  When the doorbell rang and I opened and saw a little girl in a princess costume, I wanted to weep.

Our street gets mostly passed over because the front end is grumpy old people and the back a dead end with a church and an old plantation home that people in this town really seem to believe has haints. You'd think that would serve as a Halloween attraction, but nope, which is just as well because the lady who owns it is super religious and convinced Halloween really is the Devil's Christmas.

Anyway, we go over to my father-in-law's neighborhood, and pass out candy to hundreds of kids while ours walk the loop.

The police block the neighborhood off and just about the entire town has free reign of a five- or six street area until 8 p.m., when the cops shut it all down for everybody who doesn't live in the subdivision. I've always felt that was excessively early, but this is an area that still gets swept up in Facebook panics about Muslims poisoning Coca-Cola, so maybe it's for the best.

Anyway, most of the folks who live in that neighborhood seem to enjoy it, and my kids get free candy and to spend time with their grandpa, so I'm OK with it.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
(I'm guessing you're part of NanoWrimo from the avatar, by the way. Hope the keys keep clicking away all November long for you, brave soul! I've attempted but never made it very far, myself.)

If you want to write, just write, IMO. Don't tie it to gimmicks like NaNoWriMo. Commit to something measurable and consistent, e.g. at least one paragraph a day. Even if it's crap, that's part of the process. I'm starting my third novel now.

NaNoWriMo is measurable and consistent - 50K in 30 days, 1667 words a day - so there's enough workable crap before collapse. It also offers a support network, pro tips and tools that can help with publication. An aspiring writer can do a lot worse than tackle NaNo, like going it alone.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
There was a lady sitting behind us muttering through the service about the priest being wrong.

Pews.....sign of a bad parish.

That comment about sitting and pews is neither constructive nor funny. Or true.

Offline Thomas

• Archon
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
I am locking and closing this topic as "Halloween" is over and the discussion is rapidly deteriorating awauy from the original request.

Thomas
Convert Issues Moderator.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 06:33:45 PM by Thomas »
Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas