OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 10:04:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Curious Case of Erasmus of Arcadia  (Read 1760 times) Average Rating: 0
Stephanos Nikolaos

Faith: Pre-Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Currently OCA

Hosanna in the highest!

« on: July 26, 2011, 06:09:48 PM »

Something I have always found interesting is the whole Erasmus of Arcadia-John Wesley ordination topic.

The account goes something like this.

"By 1763, Wesley was desperate to obtain ordination for some of his lay preachers and when bishop after bishop refused, he took the dubious expedient -against the council of all his close friends and associates-of asking one Erasmus, who claimed to be bishop of Arcadia in Crete, to do the job. Erasmus knew no English, but agreed." - (English Spirituality in the Age of Wesley)

As far as I understand it, Orthodox Christians (and I agree), that John Wesley lost his place in the succession because he didn't operate as an Orthodox Christian. Correct me if I am wrong.

But I am interested in knowing more about this topic such as... Why would an Orthodox Bishop ordain an Anglican? What is the Orthodox view of Erasmus of Arcadia in general?

Nicholas.

“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.” +Luke 6:27-29
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:15:38 PM »

There were a number of bishops coming to England seeking alms.  Was simony involved? Perhaps.  Attempt to bring the West back into Orthodoxy? Perhaps.

The "consecration" would be void, as the canons require three bishops, the only exception being allowed if the Holy Synod of the Church (in this case, the Ecumenical Patriarchate) validated it according to the circumstances.

then there is the problem that Wesley wasn't chrismated.

With such irregularities, Wesley would have no part in the Orthodox episcopate, and hence Apostolic Succession.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 06:18:24 PM »

I don't know more about this than I've read online, but I've seen arguments that Erasmus wasn't an Orthodox bishop.  Though as ialmisry pointed out, even if he was a bishop (even if he was the Pat. of Constantinople), it wouldn't matter anyway.

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:20:38 PM »

Is there such a thing as 'ordination of desire'? Cool

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »

Is there such a thing as 'ordination of desire'? Cool

That one can be ordained simply by desiring it? No. There must be an actual laying on of hands and canonical regularity. Also, it's not magic. A bishop is not obligated to allow his clergy to concelebrate with a priest whose ordination hew doubts.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags: John Wesley Methodism Apostolic succession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: