OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 08:26:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Share your liturgical mishap stories here!  (Read 20818 times) Average Rating: 0
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #270 on: April 11, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »

From what I understand, he was fine, waiting in line with his mother, and turned around and expelled what little food was in his stomach onto the floor in front of the Baptist couple waiting behind them. After that, he was fine.

So he's an anti-ecumenist. 

We need to make that kid a forum member.

I heard that Mor Ephrem is addicted to cocaine. Pass it on.

Awed by the beauty of perceptivity
And the exceeding sassiness of your commentary
OC.net stood amazed and cried to thee
Oh most wise Kelly
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »

may God bring healing to father john and his kidneys.

i deliberately have a church song ring tone, in case of forgetting to switch my phone off.
one day my phone went off while the bishop was reading the gospel and i was in the front row!
i turned it within 3 or 4 seconds, and during coffee after liturgy apologised to the bishop for the mistake.

he hadn't noticed!
thank God for recordable ring tones and clergy with impressive levels of concentration!
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:53 AM »

Yesterday morning as I was about to read from the Acts of the Apostles, my tongue strangely stumbled on the word "acts" and came out as "attacks"  Embarrassed. It must not have been clearly evident to the congregation as nothing was said later.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »

Yesterday morning as I was about to read from the Acts of the Apostles, my tongue strangely stumbled on the word "acts" and came out as "attacks"  Embarrassed. It must not have been clearly evident to the congregation as nothing was said later.

Cheesy Glad you made it through.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2014, 11:12:05 AM »

They are well known for cutting off ears!
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »

If your parish buys one of those fancy hand carved Biers, make sure to take measurements of your Epitaphios to make sure that it will fit into the Bier. The Priest before me ordered a Bier from Greece, but it is too small for our Epitaphios. Also make sure that it is not too heavy and that it can get through the door for the procession.

Fr. John W. Morris
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #276 on: May 09, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »

It would be funny, but also sad if the Epitaphios and Bier do not fit through the doors. They would have to be brought in, each separately, and I don't think that even a Cathedral would have a large enough complement of priests for THAT.
isaelie

« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:58 PM »

fish n chips  police
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #278 on: June 08, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »

I really messed us up at Kneeling Vespers earlier today. I did have some help from my priest, though. Things started out OK, but suddenly our priest announced: "The Evening Prokeimenon!" when we chanters were about to sing "O Lord, I have cried..." Two things immediately went through my mind: first, I had misarranged the pages in my binder (I have the whole service printed out with appropriate music in its correct place), but some quick checking showed that that was not the case; secondly, our priest had suddenly decided to do a major abbreviation - he does occasionally make some cuts, but this seemed extreme. We chanters paused for several seconds as I was hoping to hear the priest correct himself, but I heard nothing. I was likely in such a panic mode that my ability to hear anything completely disappeared, as Fr D did tell me later that he said (in a somewhat lower volume) "Not that, sing the Psalms". So anyway, we launched into the Prokeimenon, and Fr D simply picked it up at that point and carried on with the First Kneeling Prayer. He wasn't the least bit upset as he was (I'm sure) appreciative of the unexpected shortening of the service.  Wink Cheesy. Since no one else had a printed copy of the service, no mention of this calamity was raised during coffee hour.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #279 on: June 08, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

Since no one else had a printed copy of the service, no mention of this calamity was raised during coffee hour.

But now the whole internet knows, and will know unto ages of ages!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »

Since no one else had a printed copy of the service, no mention of this calamity was raised during coffee hour.

But now the whole internet knows, and will know unto ages of ages!
Still OK. We don't have internet here .  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #281 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:10 AM »

I was serving behind the altar today at a very small service in my church. There was my Priest, the Deacon, and me behind the altar, and the Presbytera was singing alone. Near the end of the Orthros, Presbytera suddenly stops mid-hymn and shouts, “OH MY GOD”. The three of us behind the altar look out at her, and she’s practically climbing the walls freaking out.

“There’s a scorpion! Or something! I don’t know! EW!”

Father, the deacon and I all come out and look around to find the bug, but we come up with nothing. Eventually, Presbytera calms down and says, “Let’s just keep going.”

She starts over again, but this time she gets about ten seconds into it before she’s shouting again, but much louder, “OH OH OH THERE IT IS KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT”

We run out again and spot a little house centipede running around on the music stand. Father grabs the Great Horologion that she had sitting on the stand and smacks the bug onto the floor. It starts crawling towards my feet, so I stomp it flat.

As we return to the altar to finish Orthros, the deacon, a jolly old man in his late 70s, leans over to me and whispers, “And people say that church is boring!” laugh
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2014, 07:34:31 AM »

^Old deacons are the best!  Cheesy

CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »

I was serving behind the altar today at a very small service in my church. There was my Priest, the Deacon, and me behind the altar, and the Presbytera was singing alone. Near the end of the Orthros, Presbytera suddenly stops mid-hymn and shouts, “OH MY GOD”. The three of us behind the altar look out at her, and she’s practically climbing the walls freaking out.

Father, the deacon and I all come out and look around to find the bug, but we come up with nothing. Eventually, Presbytera calms down and says, “Let’s just keep going.”

She starts over again, but this time she gets about ten seconds into it before she’s shouting again, but much louder, “OH OH OH THERE IT IS KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT”

We run out again and spot a little house centipede running around on the music stand. Father grabs the Great Horologion that she had sitting on the stand and smacks the bug onto the floor. It starts crawling towards my feet, so I stomp it flat.

As we return to the altar to finish Orthros, the deacon, a jolly old man in his late 70s, leans over to me and whispers, “And people say that church is boring!” laugh

I just got out of 6am liturgy, I'm sitting in a tiny local coffee shop, and that story makes my day even better!

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »

Almost a year ago I was vested. Chanting and what not. Really feeling this Saturday liturgy. Attendance is rising as I spread the word about Saturdays. Chanting Psalm 150(our communion hymn). Everything is going well. I almost forgot to take communion. "Run" into the altar to tell father. Both priests were there. Uber embarrassing. Basically no Body left. Only a few crumbs(we receive the Body separate from Blood as per the Coptic standard) left. Father took the crumbs and placed them on the Spoon with the Blood in it. Received both together. Basically had communion the way EVERY OTHER ORTHODOX CHURCH DOES IT(save for a few). Heart racing. Go sit down outside and cool off.

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »

Not exactly a mishap, but still funny:

Seeing as I'm employed as the 7 am Mass cantor for a Roman Catholic parish, I don't worry too much about service music- I just grab my SEP for the introit, and the usual hymnal for the offertory and communion (we're one of those 'we'll eventually be chanting the whole thing' parishes where the priest is traditional, but scared of being seen as such, the organist and I are traditionalists and sneak in as much chant as we can, and the other cantor (and my old mentor- good voice, poor taste in hymns) is practically married to Haugen-Haas-Schutte tunes out of a Glory and Praise hymnal. Now, this was when a visiting priest was here, so the organist and I tried to take Father's absence as an opportunity to break out the Graduale Romanum from the back. Just as I started the introit, the priest signalled "stop", walked up a side aisle instead of the main one, and stopped the procession to walk up to me and ask in a stage whisper, looking genuinely confused. "Why are you singing some kind of chant for the Gathering Song? I didn't get sent accidentally to a Latin Mass parish, did I?"  Roll Eyes

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2014, 12:25:55 AM »

^I'm not sure if you meant that to be funny or sad...
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2014, 02:42:31 AM »

I didn't know that the situation is that bad for American RCs. I'd probably have walked out of the church or something. The priest should be defrocked.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »

I didn't know that the situation is that bad for American RCs. I'd probably have walked out of the church or something. The priest should be defrocked.

He was probably trying to avoid being defrocked.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #289 on: July 05, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »

I really messed us up at Kneeling Vespers earlier today. I did have some help from my priest, though. Things started out OK, but suddenly our priest announced: "The Evening Prokeimenon!" when we chanters were about to sing "O Lord, I have cried..." Two things immediately went through my mind: first, I had misarranged the pages in my binder (I have the whole service printed out with appropriate music in its correct place), but some quick checking showed that that was not the case; secondly, our priest had suddenly decided to do a major abbreviation - he does occasionally make some cuts, but this seemed extreme. We chanters paused for several seconds as I was hoping to hear the priest correct himself, but I heard nothing. I was likely in such a panic mode that my ability to hear anything completely disappeared, as Fr D did tell me later that he said (in a somewhat lower volume) "Not that, sing the Psalms". So anyway, we launched into the Prokeimenon, and Fr D simply picked it up at that point and carried on with the First Kneeling Prayer. He wasn't the least bit upset as he was (I'm sure) appreciative of the unexpected shortening of the service.  Wink Cheesy. Since no one else had a printed copy of the service, no mention of this calamity was raised during coffee hour.

I've been dragged into the choir for two hierarchical liturgies and and both of them the bishop did something unexpected to the rite that sent the choir director and then the rest of of us frantically turning pages trying to figure out where he was.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #290 on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:39 AM »

We had a bishop visit recently, and he was moving from the chair to stand in front of the altar, only he was moving a little faster than people expected. The altar servers had to rush with the candles to keep up with him.  Smiley

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #291 on: July 05, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »

We had a bishop visit recently, and he was moving from the chair to stand in front of the altar, only he was moving a little faster than people expected. The altar servers had to rush with the candles to keep up with him.  Smiley

Keeps them on their toes!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #292 on: September 07, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »

This morning, we had a bit of a train wreck. The chanters started singing something, only stopped after a few seconds - it must have been the wrong thing. Then the choir started, but they stopped right after that too. Then the chanters stared up at the choir, and there was a pause while nobody sang anything. Then Father just started chanting whatever he was supposed to chant next, and we proceeded as normal. Smiley

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #293 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »

St. Seraphim of Sarov would not harm a mosquito.

Is outrage! The poor centipede.

That is funny.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #294 on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »

What was there with the small print?
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #295 on: September 07, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »

What was there with the small print?

St. Seraphim of Sarov would not harm a mosquito.

Is outrage! The poor centipede.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2014, 07:18:07 PM »

Ooh. Appropriate for Hyperdox Herman as well, methinks.
Tags: altar accidents bloopers 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: