Author Topic: Share your liturgical mishap stories here!  (Read 73411 times)

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
Re: Share your liturgical mishap stories here!
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »
I had to later get a new sticharion, as I suppose that the one that I burnt became unusable.

Never seen a sticharion that didn't have burnt holes somewhere, unless it was brand new.

Are people exceptionally clumsy in your part of the world?

Racism!!
Mor no doubt showed great restraint in not making a Pollack joke.

One of my favorite inconsequential but human moments to happen in a liturgy involved an altar boy walking out of the altar, holding something in his hands and presenting it to his mother. It was a bloody tooth, freshly loosed from its gummy prison.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2015, 12:07:18 AM »
I had to later get a new sticharion, as I suppose that the one that I burnt became unusable.

Never seen a sticharion that didn't have burnt holes somewhere, unless it was brand new.

Racism!!

One of my favorite inconsequential but human moments to happen in a liturgy involved an altar boy walking out of the altar, holding something in his hands and presenting it to his mother. It was a bloody tooth, freshly loosed from its gummy prison.

Wow! That is a loaded issue.

In that case, would the little altar boy have to put aside his vestment and stay with his mother due to his issue of blood? Would he be permitted to receive communion?
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2015, 12:14:28 AM »

Racism!!

In that case, would the little altar boy have to put aside his vestment and stay with his mother due to his issue of blood? Would he be permitted to receive communion?
I have no recollection of how it played out, and at this point I ain't asking.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2015, 02:08:35 AM »

Racism!!

I hope not...I would not want to go to a parish where that was the case.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #364 on: March 08, 2015, 02:29:32 AM »

Racism!!

"What's good for the goose is good for the gander."
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #365 on: March 08, 2015, 09:13:14 PM »

Racism!!

"What's good for the goose is good for the gander."
To be fair, I have never asked anyone in the communion line if they've recently had an issue of blood.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #366 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
That can easily be remedied starting with the Presanctified Liturgy this week.
God bless!

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #367 on: March 09, 2015, 09:38:27 AM »

Are you answering the first question or the second?

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #368 on: March 09, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »

Racism!!

I would not want to go to a parish where that wasn't.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #369 on: March 09, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
I'm simply stating that ai would not want to go to a parish where for example someone with intermittent oral bleeding, stomach ulcers et cetera was deprived communion on the same basis as women in their cycle, which for that matter is a pious tradition related to Jewish purity law to which I cannot object, but I would view it in the same light as the case of nocturnal pollution for men, and be inclined to not rigidly enforce it.  The benefits of continual confession and repentance are real and maintaining that cycle in those who are able to do it, especially those who come for confession at the vigil service, should be a priority.  But for those who piously folllow this custom I applaud them.

But there is a world of difference between that and any number of internal "issues of blood" that the Eucharist can help fix.  Ulcers?  Gum disease?  God forbid that any with a history of those problems should be deprived the sacrament.  Because taken to an extreme, we might as well stop communing patients in the hospital who have for example abdominal intubation to handle the blood flows as their organs heal from surgery.

I say this with the utmost respect for Holy Tradition.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:12:05 PM by wgw »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #370 on: March 09, 2015, 03:36:34 PM »
Seems a little arbitrary that you "cannot object to" the case of women but "would not want to go to a parish ..." in other cases.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #371 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:00 PM »
I can't object to an ancient practice but I can object to anyone proposing it be extended to various diseases involving bleeding, which I can find no basis for in the Pedalion.  Specifically ulcers; my mother was aided in her complete recovery from them by the Eucharist.  I myself have suffered a minor maxillofacial injury which results in occasional bloody gums as it is repaired and that has not stopped my priest from communing me and this Eucharist has aided my recovery.

What is more, I would also make a point of not going to a parish that was vocal about not communing women in their periods.  Fortunately I do not believe such a parish exists as that would be rather indiscreet.  And what is more, if that pious tradition were phased out, like the ban on seeing Jewish physicians, for example, I would be thoroughly untroubled by it.

There is a distinction between Holy Tradition and traditions, as Metropolitan Kallistos Ware of your Patriarchate has stressed, and I feel this is important to bear in mind. 

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
I misunderstood you, wgw.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »
No problem, my posts are admittedly verbose, and make use of a peculiar archaic syntax I cannot seem to rid myself of. 

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2015, 06:08:29 PM »
Funny little kerfluffle at the beginning of the Little Entrance this week. The chanters were singing one thing, and then the priest and deacon walked out of the doors across the way, singing something entirely different. Total trainwreck for about thirty seconds. At last they got it sorted out, and everyone joined the priest and deacon on the correct song from then on. Who says Lenten services can't make you smile? ;) :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
That sounds like it would be very easy to do, and it's happened to the choir/priests when i was attending as well

Also, im afraid im going to spill the Gifts because I was taught to kiss the Chalice after communing, and I know it isnt the norm everywhere.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
This isn't really a liturgical mishap, but a little girl in front of me had her hair lit on fire by her sister. She was probably 5yrs old. The parents didn't notice it at first, so I leaned up and and patted it out. I think she was more freaked out that a stranger started patting her head than she was by the fire. Lots of people behind me were freaking out. It was a jolly good time!

#onlyinorthodoxy
God bless!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #377 on: April 13, 2015, 11:48:50 PM »
I think she was more freaked out that a stranger started patting her head than she was by the fire.

When you patted my head the first time, I was freaked out too.  Then I was exhilarated.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #378 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:47 PM »
You aren't  the first person to express such emotions at my touch.  :P
God bless!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #379 on: April 14, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
I knew Pascha couldn't pass without an almost-immolation story.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:10:51 PM by Agabus »

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »
Easter procession. The head is finishing the last circle but they can't reach the doors because people that do not go and just stand and watch (Tradition or at least tradition) block the way. After a few minutes of standing and doing nothing all can hear the rector "Please move, we won't start the service if don't enter the church". And after a few more minutes we moved.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #381 on: April 15, 2015, 01:12:52 PM »
Lol, that happened at my parish too.  People already eating eggs and having a laugh....hey it was past midnight, so Pascha, amirite?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #382 on: April 27, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
not mine but still:

Last sunday, hierarchical DL, bishop in his speech mentioned my grandmother (as she contributed to building the church). He looked at her waiting for some reaction but she didn't hear that being busy gossiping with her friend. He just sighed and changed the topic.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #383 on: April 27, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »
not mine but still:

Last sunday, hierarchical DL, bishop in his speech mentioned my grandmother (as she contributed to building the church). He looked at her waiting for some reaction but she didn't hear that being busy gossiping with her friend. He just sighed and changed the topic.

God bless her.  :)

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #384 on: April 27, 2015, 12:55:12 PM »
not mine but still:

God bless her.  :)

God bless priests that she had contact with. And that would make 2/3 of 2 dioceses.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #385 on: April 27, 2015, 04:32:49 PM »
not mine but still:

I remember something similar but with 2 bishops as the protagonists, fortunately not at church, but during a formal supper after the service. The rector of the parish which hosted the bishops and the supper wanted to toast in honor of these two hierarchs (one Polish and one Serbian) but in the same time they were talking and sending something to each other via bluetooth.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline NoahB

• The Just Noah
  • King Charles II did nothing wrong
  • Faith: Anglican Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Province of America
« Reply #386 on: April 30, 2015, 02:19:01 PM »
This happened in the Anglican church. I wasn't there, but my priest told me about it. There was a certain parish that didn't have a building and was meeting in a Presbyterian church. The Presbyterians had just bought a new carpet for this rather large sanctuary, and it was installed the day before the Anglican celebrated Holy Communion. Now, the priest of this particular Anglican congregation liked incense-- he said that it just wasn't a proper Mass without a glory cloud of incense floating above the congregation. His son was the thurifer. During the procession to the Altar, the thurifer tripped over his cassock (which was too big for him) and the thurible opened, casting coals all over the brand new carpet. The priest pulled up his surplice, cassock, and chasuble and started doing a jig towards the altar, putting out the coals as quickly as possible. He wasn't fast enough, unfortunately, and they ended up having to pay for repairs. I don't think the Presbyterians allowed them back. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:19:51 PM by NoahB »
"God became man, so that men might become gods." -- St. Athanasius

"His was the word that spake it,
He took the bread and brake it,
And what is word doth make it,
That I believe and take it." - Queen Elizabeth I

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #387 on: May 01, 2015, 08:39:29 AM »
This happened in the Anglican church. I wasn't there, but my priest told me about it. There was a certain parish that didn't have a building and was meeting in a Presbyterian church. The Presbyterians had just bought a new carpet for this rather large sanctuary, and it was installed the day before the Anglican celebrated Holy Communion. Now, the priest of this particular Anglican congregation liked incense-- he said that it just wasn't a proper Mass without a glory cloud of incense floating above the congregation. His son was the thurifer. During the procession to the Altar, the thurifer tripped over his cassock (which was too big for him) and the thurible opened, casting coals all over the brand new carpet. The priest pulled up his surplice, cassock, and chasuble and started doing a jig towards the altar, putting out the coals as quickly as possible. He wasn't fast enough, unfortunately, and they ended up having to pay for repairs. I don't think the Presbyterians allowed them back.
Sounds like it was predestined to happen.
God bless!

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »
This morning our little parish had our first Hierarchical Divine Liturgy. Because of the warm sunny day, the front doors were wide open. Somewhere in the middle a homeless man walked in and stood respectfully at the back for the remainder of the service. At the dismissal, the Bishop made a few personal remarks, including pointing out that it was his first visit to us (for a service). From the back we heard a booming voice: "It's my first visit here, too!"

Offline JTLoganville

• Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
Sounds like it was predestined to happen.

+5

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #390 on: May 03, 2015, 11:57:13 PM »
This morning our little parish had our first Hierarchical Divine Liturgy. Because of the warm sunny day, the front doors were wide open. Somewhere in the middle a homeless man walked in and stood respectfully at the back for the remainder of the service. At the dismissal, the Bishop made a few personal remarks, including pointing out that it was his first visit to us (for a service). From the back we heard a booming voice: "It's my first visit here, too!"

I love it.  :)

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #391 on: May 04, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
I myself love homeless people and the interactions they produce at church.  How we treat the, is crucial because it determines how,we treat the Lord, and one could be an angel in disguise.  Now here is a related incident that transpired in an Episcopal church in Atlanta as documented by one of their few remaining conservative clergyman, who has a slight crush on us like so many Anglicans:

http://creedalchristian.blogspot.com/2015/04/good-friday-homily-2015.html

Note the similarity.

Now I believe that liturgical disruptions of this sort are like the remarks made by children, and not actual mishaps, but blessings.  When they happen, they can reveal inner truths about the liturgy.  Of course pastoral care and catechesis of homeless people in Orthodoxy is a huge challenge; I'm of the view that many are mentally ill and we are obliged to just offer to baptize, Chrismate and communicate them, and add unction for good measure, and provide lots of food and love, and hope it's enough to hold them over until they might possibly return in better shape due to the effects of sacramental grace.  For the wandering sort we might regard it as somewhat of a viaticum.

But I digress.  My main point is I love the contributions the homeless can make to the liturgy.

What would be a mishap would be if one amassed into church high or completely out of their mind as it were and caused actual damage and disruption.  Which is a risk of an open doors approach to church.  But Imthink it's worth it for what we get from persons like this chap.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #392 on: May 04, 2015, 03:43:49 PM »
In my parish, the chanters often sing "Agni Parthene" while people receive Communion. This past Sunday, pretty much everybody was off key. They sang it again after liturgy, while the antidoron was being handed out, and everything was fine.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #393 on: May 04, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »
I myself love homeless people and the interactions they produce at church.  How we treat the, is crucial because it determines how,we treat the Lord, and one could be an angel in disguise.  Now here is a related incident that transpired in an Episcopal church in Atlanta as documented by one of their few remaining conservative clergyman, who has a slight crush on us like so many Anglicans:

http://creedalchristian.blogspot.com/2015/04/good-friday-homily-2015.html

Note the similarity.

Now I believe that liturgical disruptions of this sort are like the remarks made by children, and not actual mishaps, but blessings.  When they happen, they can reveal inner truths about the liturgy.  Of course pastoral care and catechesis of homeless people in Orthodoxy is a huge challenge; I'm of the view that many are mentally ill and we are obliged to just offer to baptize, Chrismate and communicate them, and add unction for good measure, and provide lots of food and love, and hope it's enough to hold them over until they might possibly return in better shape due to the effects of sacramental grace.  For the wandering sort we might regard it as somewhat of a viaticum.

But I digress.  My main point is I love the contributions the homeless can make to the liturgy.

What would be a mishap would be if one amassed into church high or completely out of their mind as it were and caused actual damage and disruption.  Which is a risk of an open doors approach to church.  But Imthink it's worth it for what we get from persons like this chap.
Thanks for the comments. Frank (as his name turned out to be) stayed for the reception afterwards - eating "enthusiastically"  :). He was friendly and polite, but still matched the usual and unfortunate stereotype of the homeless. Yes, he was homeless. He carries his tent around with him. We did give him permission to spend one night in our yard. I don't know if he took us up on that or not.

Offline wgw

• Taxiarches
« Reply #394 on: May 04, 2015, 04:47:35 PM »
That was exceedingly kind of you.  God bless you and grant your bishops, Metropolitan and Patriarch John X of Antioch many years.  I love Antioch because like many Orthodox churches you take care of the homeless and are one of the leading denominations for converts, even as the persecution of Antiochians continues in Syria.

My first visit to an EO parish was a Holy Unction service at St. Nicholas Cathedral in Los Angeles.  There were many hipsters and impoverished persons oresent and all were anointed.  At the time I was unaware that the non Orthodox should not receive unction but I believe they may have done what many parishes do and annoint those known to them as Orthodox from the consecrated oil that has a drop of chrism in it IIRC and the others from blessed olive oil.  Or they may have fully anointed me.  Either way despite my unworthy approach the sacrament was efficacious and I was assisted in dealing with a profound crisis.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:48:04 PM by wgw »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:37 AM »
This isn't really a liturgical mishap, but more of an amusing anecdote. I was talking with my Roman Catholic father-in-law who was telling me that they got a new priest in his parish. He said that a lot of the parishioners are complaining about him because he treats the host so respectfully that it makes Mass go excessively long and they wish he would speed things up. It sounded funny to hear someone complaining about excessive reverence of the Body of Christ.
God bless!

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #396 on: August 03, 2015, 01:45:38 PM »
In my parish, the chanters often sing "Agni Parthene" while people receive Communion. This past Sunday, pretty much everybody was off key. They sang it again after liturgy, while the antidoron was being handed out, and everything was fine.

Agni Parthene is NOT a communion hymn and should not be sung then.  After the Liturgy, fine.  At least it is not as irritating as a man in our choir at church who sings whatever the hell he wants during the people's communion.  During the Nativity season, you can hear "O Holy Night" from the choir loft.  Cannot stand it.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
Ideally, that situation can be avoided by reading the prayers before communion after the appointed communion hymn. During communion itself, "Receive ye the Body" or the communion verse can be sung, but "concert" hymns are extraneous during the liturgy, even Agni Parthene, unfortunately  :'(.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #398 on: August 31, 2015, 11:46:16 AM »
...but "concert" hymns are extraneous during the liturgy...

There goes the Liturgy.  :P

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #399 on: September 02, 2015, 12:00:07 AM »

Agni Parthene is NOT a communion hymn and should not be sung then.  After the Liturgy, fine.  At least it is not as irritating as a man in our choir at church who sings whatever the hell he wants during the people's communion.  During the Nativity season, you can hear "O Holy Night" from the choir loft.  Cannot stand it.
Lol, and he's still in the choir?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #400 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:14 AM »
This would qualify IMO . After venerating the relics:
https://www.facebook.com/957712930913196/videos/1052493154768506/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:03:42 AM by augustin717 »
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #401 on: September 02, 2015, 12:16:16 AM »
This would qualify IMO . After venerating the relics:
https://www.facebook.com/957712930913196/videos/1052493154768506/

Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace and microphones to all men.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #402 on: April 01, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
Reviving the thread.

Tonight, during Presanctified Liturgy, I was chosen to read the passage from the Genesis, how the Noah's ark stucked in Ararat mountains because the flood had ended and so on.

I began chanted the prokimenon and I realised I was chanting the same prokimenon week ago, and then saw the title "Friday of the second week" and that in the reading Noah is even before the flood (that's a difference, isn't it? ;) ) and I said "That's not the proper fragment!" (I chant and read from the kliros, that in our basement church is not so separate place), firstly the members of the choir (priests and seminary alumns) didn't believe me, finally they stareted looking for the proper day and week in the second book - they couldn't use the first one, as in the same time the choir and I were chanting the prokimenon. So, we ended the psalm, the priest from the altar said "wisdom" and we still didn't have the proper fragment, I shouted "Genesis reading" but it was a chaos...

After a few whiles of silent the guys managed to find the proper reading.

So, the sticheras were also from the previous week ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #403 on: April 01, 2016, 02:13:45 PM »
The calendar disputes are really serious in Poland...

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #404 on: April 01, 2016, 08:26:53 PM »
What is the name of this platform in the middle of the nave where the bishop will stand sometimes? I kicked it very hard last Wednesday and tripped on the carpet with a burning candle in my hand while the lights were off.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)