Author Topic: Opinion on Stained Glass Windows in Eastern Orthodox Churches?  (Read 444 times)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
  • Saint Peter of Moscow, Pray for Us!
  • Faith: Outside the Church
  • Jurisdiction: None, unfortunately. Hopefully soon.
Here's an interesting question.

Where I go to University, there is a Greek Orthodox Church which has stained glass windows of the Saints, and while I think they are really beautiful, particularly in terms of the vibrant colors that are made present through the light, which I think is a beautiful metaphor for how Christ impacts our lives - but I know some of my friends really don't like it.

What are your thoughts, particularly in jurisdictions where they can be prevalent, like the Carpatho-Russian diocese or ROCOR? Do they conflict with the painted iconography in the Church, or not? Can they be used as icons?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 03:58:23 PM by LivenotoneviL »
Jesus:you are the reincarnation of Elijah you can trust me I'm jesus!

LivenotoneviL: yeah right get behind me satan

Exposed demon: oh no my cover is blown!

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church. And may God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of Christ.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: Opinion on Stained Glass Windows in Eastern Orthodox Churches?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 04:10:43 PM »
Here's an interesting question.

Where I go to University, there is a Greek Orthodox Church which has stained glass windows of the Saints, and while I think they are really beautiful, particularly in terms of the vibrant colors that are made present through the light, which I think is a beautiful metaphor for how Christ impacts our lives - but I know some of my friends really don't like it.

What are your thoughts, particularly in jurisdictions where they can be prevalent, like the Carpatho-Russian diocese or ROCOR? Do they conflict with the painted iconography in the Church, or not? Can they be used as icons?

I think they are one of the best forms of icons, and should be used more extensively in future Orthodox churches.   They have one downside and that is they become dark at night.  One could hypothetically use spotlights to backlight them, but that would be expensive and troublesome.

In Los Angeles, the Coptic Church of St. Mary and Athanasius has two identically sized chapels on two levels, with a two story, elevator-equipped narthex.  I think an ideal design would follow in this plan, with the upper level chapel used for services in daylight like typical Sunday liturgies, and the lower level used for Vespers, the Paschal liturgy and so on.  The upper level would make more extensive use of stained glass windows to admit light from the sides of the building, whereas the lower level would rely more on natural light and, like the chapel at St. Anthony’s in Arizona, be lit exclusively or primarily by candles, oil lamos and vigil lamps at night.

I am also a huge fan of iconography painted on the exterior of the church, and the use of electric lights, which in the case of new churches could in some cases be colored or feature sophisticated LED lighting, to illuminate them for dramatic effect.

Btw if anyone is interested I will share some of my sketches for new Orthodox churches.  The designs are highly traditional; the sole extent where there might be some departure involves areas like the configuration of the church or abbey or the use of stained glass windows.  I also have some sketches of planned conversions of certain mosques in Constantinople to churches, including the Blue Mosque, which I pray will some day by some miracle be a Church of the Holy Dormition.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
I think it's not something contradicting the frecoes, but rather fullfilling them. At my parish there is e.g a beautfil stained glass icon on the right window presenting the resurrection of Lazarus (with the beginning of the troparion) and Christ laying in the tomb - these icons are not present in the frescoes of the church.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 04:35:46 PM »
Very likely, in the Orthodox diaspora, the stained glass came with the church building when it was purchased or rented from another denomination.  It makes no sense to remove them, unless they affirm some heresy, when they could be covered.  It'd be better for the parish to raise funds to build an Orthodox church instead.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:36:03 PM by Sharbel »
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 05:23:04 PM »
A problem with iconography on stained glass windows is that when viewed from the outside, the icon is backwards. So, for instance, an icon showing the crucifixion would have the good thief on the left side instead of the right.

One purpose of icons is to correctly teach through images. The icons are not there just to entertain us with pretty colors. There is meaning assigned to the placement of depicted items.  So, you would expect to see a holy hierarch holding the gospels in his left hand, and blessing with his right hand.  A reverse image would show him blessing with the left hand!  And, since canonical iconography also includes lettering identifying the icon, what about the names spelled backwards?  Backwards spelling and incantation is used in occult rituals.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 05:24:46 PM »
A problem with iconography on stained glass windows is that when viewed from the outside, the icon is backwards. So, for instance, an icon showing the crucifixion would have the good thief on the left side instead of the right.

One purpose of icons is to correctly teach through images. The icons are not there just to entertain us with pretty colors. There is meaning assigned to the placement of depicted items.  So, you would expect to see a holy hierarch holding the gospels in his left hand, and blessing with his right hand.  A reverse image would show him blessing with the left hand!  And, since canonical iconography also includes lettering identifying the icon, what about the names spelled backwards?  Backwards spelling and incantation is used in occult rituals.
I don't know how it's done, but in much church the stained glass windows outside are quite dark, the icons of them are not seen.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »

I don't know how it's done, but in much church the stained glass windows outside are quite dark, the icons of them are not seen.

At night time, stained glass windows can be seen quite brightly when the lights of the church are on.

May God one day unite me with the Holy Orthodox Catholic Church. And may God forgive me for my consistent sins of the flesh and any blasphemous and carnal desire, as well as forgive me whenever I act prideful, against the desire of Christ.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 06:16:50 PM »

I shouldn’t worry about that, because stained glass windows are not canonical icons of the sort that are venerated, but are part of the decorative artwork of the church.  What is more, the problem you cite would only really be an issue if the church interior was brightly lit, at night.  Otherwise, during the day, the stained glass windows aren’t as easy to see from the outside.  There are also workarounds to the problems you cite, such as using iconographic subjects that are reversible, or engaging in some careful glasswork so that, in the case of the Holy Hierarch, the orientation would appear to be correct when viewed from either side, but in my view they are uneccessary, since stained glass windows require backlighting to be seen clearly, and that means that during the day, they will be primarily visible from the inside.

As far as the issue of occult rituals is concerned, I categorically refuse to accuse the large number of Orthodox churches that have stained glass windows of engaging in the occult.  What is more, candles , incense, and flowers are also used in occult rituals, very heavily; should we therefore ban them? 
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 06:22:06 PM »

At night time, stained glass windows can be seen quite brightly when the lights of the church are on.

For which I presented an architectural solution; also, such brightness requires the church to have electric lighting on at full power.  If one used candles, oil lamps amd vigil lamps only, like the Catholikon at St. Anthony’s monastery, this problem literally disappears.

Stained glass windows are clearly visible only when brightly backlit.   For nighttime services, I dislike bright electric lighting immensely; it just doesn’t look good, it’s almost a waste.  Once one has experienced the beauty of a liturgy in a darkened church, one will not want to go back to the abuse of electric lighting, except for emergency lights to facilitate ease of evacuation in the event of a fire, earthquake, et cetera.

Offline Sharbel

• Glory to God in all things!
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Denver
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 06:33:49 PM »

Brightly?  No.  The windows are usually far from the church lights and they are not that bright.  And even if the icons can be seen dimly, so what?  What if the icons are flipped when seen from outside for a few hours a week?  How damaging can it be?
Sanctus Deus
ܩܕܝܫܐ ܐܢ̱ܬ ܠܐ ܡܝܘܬܐ
Άγιος ο Θεός

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »

Brightly?  No.  The windows are usually far from the church lights and they are not that bright.  And even if the icons can be seen dimly, so what?  What if the icons are flipped when seen from outside for a few hours a week?  How damaging can it be?

If you do crank up the electric lights in the church to full power, at night, which I object to as I think nighttime services should rely on candlelight and vigil lamps, and oil lamps, it will backlight the stained glass windows with dramatic effect.  But the solution is easy: just don’t do that.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
I don't have time to find better pictures, but I want to show how it works in my church:
Here, inside, you see the icon:

Outside the same icon on the window it's dark:

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »
My parish has lots of stained glass windows, mostly with icons of saints.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »
I don't have time to find better pictures, but I want to show how it works in my church:
Here, inside, you see the icon:

Outside the same icon on the window it's dark:

That is so beautiful.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 10:43:47 PM »

If you do crank up the electric lights in the church to full power, at night, which I object to as I think nighttime services should rely on candlelight and vigil lamps, and oil lamps, it will backlight the stained glass windows with dramatic effect.  But the solution is easy: just don’t do that.

I'm talking from experience with Roman Catholic churches; I haven't been to the downtown area where that Greek Orthodox Church is at night. I don't like walking around the middle of an urban area when it's dark out.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 12:38:09 AM »
I think that many of the forms of religious art sometimes hop right across jurisdictional lines because people like pretty things.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:04 AM »

I'm talking from experience with Roman Catholic churches; I haven't been to the downtown area where that Greek Orthodox Church is at night. I don't like walking around the middle of an urban area when it's dark out.

I ain't scared of no Greeks!
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 06:15:34 AM »

One purpose of icons is to correctly teach through images. The icons are not there just to entertain us with pretty colors. There is meaning assigned to the placement of depicted items.  So, you would expect to see a holy hierarch holding the gospels in his left hand, and blessing with his right hand.  A reverse image would show him blessing with the left hand!  And, since canonical iconography also includes lettering identifying the icon, what about the names spelled backwards?

Nobody looks at stained glass windows from the outside expecting to be instructed by them. Most stained glass windows are not really viewable from the outside anyway.

Backwards spelling and incantation is used in occult rituals.

Only in 80’s Satanic panic “reports” and metal records.

Also, technically, the Divine Liturgy is an occult ritual.
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • I was almost normal once, but I got better.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2018, 06:39:28 AM »

I would expect people to have at least a smidgen of common sense and recognise the reverse side of a work of art or craft when they see it. Just because both sides can be visible doesn't mean that it doesn't matter which side you look at. Otherwise it would be perfectly acceptable to wear our clothes inside out too.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 06:58:32 AM »

One purpose of icons is to correctly teach through images. The icons are not there just to entertain us with pretty colors. There is meaning assigned to the placement of depicted items.  So, you would expect to see a holy hierarch holding the gospels in his left hand, and blessing with his right hand.  A reverse image would show him blessing with the left hand!  And, since canonical iconography also includes lettering identifying the icon, what about the names spelled backwards?

Nobody looks at stained glass windows from the outside expecting to be instructed by them. Most stained glass windows are not really viewable from the outside anyway.

Backwards spelling and incantation is used in occult rituals.

I would expect people to have at least a smidgen of common sense and recognise the reverse side of a work of art or craft when they see it. Just because both sides can be visible doesn't mean that it doesn't matter which side you look at. Otherwise it would be perfectly acceptable to wear our clothes inside out too.

Thank you for your contributions here, I feel obliged to +100000000 you.

Online LivenotoneviL

• A Hopeful Sinner
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »

:o :o :o

I see what you are trying to say, as in the Divine Liturgy an invocation of the Supernatural occurs, and a miracle happens, but nonetheless, I think there's a massive difference. The "occult" usually has negative connotations, whose invocation of the supernatural - from a Christian perspective - is the invocation of demons rather than God, usually for the benefit of a person's material life or selfish benefit rather than spiritual progress, or Theosis.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 03:09:26 PM by LivenotoneviL »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 03:34:31 PM »

:o :o :o

I see what you are trying to say, as in the Divine Liturgy an invocation of the Supernatural occurs, and a miracle happens, but nonetheless, I think there's a massive difference. The "occult" usually has negative connotations, whose invocation of the supernatural - from a Christian perspective - is the invocation of demons rather than God, usually for the benefit of a person's material life or selfish benefit rather than spiritual progress, or Theosis.
I think he's using the idea of "mystery". In a weird and excessively denotative way, but that's it...
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 04:29:59 PM »
I think because of the popularity of Christianity it is easy to lose track of the fact that the eucharist is a sacred mystery uniting us with God, reserved for initiates (the baptized), and much of which we now perform openly- and which therefore seems quotidian and humdrum, if we're not careful- was jealously guarded in the first centuries of the Church. So I don't think I'm being unduly denotative- Western esotericism is a project desperately trying, and failing, to capture this mystery spirit. Everything they're looking for- insofar as they are looking for something profound and majestic- is in the divine liturgy, though we Christians unfortunately fail to appreciate it. All the summonings and statue animations of neoplatonist theurgy pale compared to the awesomeness of God uniting himself to us in his body and blood, but they are reaching for the same thing. St Dionysius the Areopagite clearly senses this parallel.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 04:36:08 PM by Iconodule »
When a time revolts against eternity, the only thing to set against it is genuine eternity itself, and not some other time which has already roused, and not without reason, a violent reaction against itself.
- Berdyaev

If you would like a private forum for non-polemical topics, comment here.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 04:37:01 PM »
"I will not speak of the Mystery to Thine enemies..."
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 05:08:05 PM »

I’ve often wondered what exactly this promise imposes on us today, particularly in the context of evangelization, and given the extent to which our liturgy is now public and accessible to the public.

Personally, I have felt as though based on this promise I should not discuss supernatural or miraculous occurrences during any part of the liturgy of the Church, past or present, third party accounts or first hand experiences, with anyone who is apostate or a heathen.  I once inadvertantly commented, on another forum, about something related to the Eucharist, and then it became evident this person had some seriously dark beliefs.  I also feel its a bit pointless to discuss things such as myrhh streaming icons or the ability of the sign of the cross to dispel demons with hardened rationalist Protestants, because they won’t believe it, and if anything it might harden their hearts against our faith.  Regarding first hand experiences, I usually only discuss those in person with known Orthodox or enquirers who I am certain are not enemies, but who rather are attracted by these aspects of our faith.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »
I think because of the popularity of Christianity it is easy to lose track of the fact that the eucharist is a sacred mystery uniting us with God, reserved for initiates (the baptized), and much of which we now perform openly- and which therefore seems quotidian and humdrum, if we're not careful- was jealously guarded in the first centuries of the Church. So I don't think I'm being unduly denotative- Western esotericism is a project desperately trying, and failing, to capture this mystery spirit. Everything they're looking for- insofar as they are looking for something profound and majestic- is in the divine liturgy, though we Christians unfortunately fail to appreciate it. All the summonings and statue animations of neoplatonist theurgy pale compared to the awesomeness of God uniting himself to us in his body and blood, but they are reaching for the same thing. St Dionysius the Areopagite clearly senses this parallel.
I guess you're right.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 05:55:36 PM »

I’ve often wondered what exactly this promise imposes on us today

Liars still go to hell.

Offline Sethrak

• Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
Stained Glass Windows in Eastern Orthodox Churches ~ all that I've seen are well done, beautiful and appropriate ```