OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:38:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consecration of Church? (Biloxi, MS)  (Read 399 times) Average Rating: 0
Anna.T
Bond-slave to Christ Jesus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox - Glory to God!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »

Our priest is going to consecrate a new Church in Biloxi, MS tomorrow. Several people talked about going, and I was hoping to go with them. But now they have changed their minds.

So I'm wondering several things - is anyone familiar with this, and is it something special to participate in? I have just been baptized Smiley  and I could use the gifts given me to go there.

Is it a rarity? If it's special and something I may not see again, maybe I should go?

I don't think I will know anyone but my priest - probably if you are all posting in Liturgy forum you have a Church and no one here will be going to this Church? Smiley  But that's ok, I meet people easily. Smiley

Thanks if anyone can offer any insight that will help me make up my mind. I need to decide so I can sleep soon - it's a couple/few hour drive for me.

Thanks!

Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »

Why not go? These things don't happen every day.  Smiley
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:42:21 PM »

Consecrating a church is similar to baptism - just as you were received into Holy Orthodoxy, the new church in Biloxi, MS will be received by the Bishop.

If you can go, go for it.
Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Smiley 

That leaves me not sure what do to about the whole "wearing white" thing, but if this is such an opportunity, I don't think I want to miss it. Smiley

Thanks so much for the input. I think I'll turn in so I can get up early enough to go!

God bless!!!

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Smiley 

That leaves me not sure what do to about the whole "wearing white" thing, but if this is such an opportunity, I don't think I want to miss it. Smiley

Thanks so much for the input. I think I'll turn in so I can get up early enough to go!

God bless!!!

You don't have to wear white - regular church attire is appropriate.

If you go, share the details with us....
Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 02:53:44 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

I did end up not going. I had planned to, but as I was going to sleep my husband texted me. And plans ended up changing.

I did find out about a Church within very easy driving distance that has a wonderful reputation for its iconography and mosaics. Though I can't tell that it is an active Church anymore, or is anything more than a museum of sorts.

I still plan to go soon. It's outside Mobile, AL and is/was a Greek Church built by the Malbis family. A search of Malbis Greek Orthodox Church turns up all kinds of links and articles, but none actually to the Church, so ... it seems a good place to visit for the icons anyway. Smiley

And I'll watch for another Church consecration. There has been one other one within the past few years close to here. Hopefully there will be more since Orthodoxy seems to be growing here. Smiley

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 04:34:15 PM »

And I'll watch for another Church consecration. There has been one other one within the past few years close to here. Hopefully there will be more since Orthodoxy seems to be growing here. Smiley
If you're up to a bit of a road trip, we're hoping to have our bishop to consecrate our altar and building in late April. (If you didn't honeymoon in Niagara Falls, you might want to plant a bug in hubby's ear  Wink Wink Wink.) Not a bad time to visit the Niagara Region on the Canadian side. Fruit trees should be just coming into blossom and all the usual spring flowers will be in full bloom. Stay tuned for updates!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »

I was blessed to be able to see the consecration of my church a couple years ago. Very beautiful. Still makes me mist up thinking about it.
Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »

If you're up to a bit of a road trip, we're hoping to have our bishop to consecrate our altar and building in late April. (If you didn't honeymoon in Niagara Falls, you might want to plant a bug in hubby's ear  Wink Wink Wink.) Not a bad time to visit the Niagara Region on the Canadian side. Fruit trees should be just coming into blossom and all the usual spring flowers will be in full bloom. Stay tuned for updates!

We honeymooned in Santa Barbara - well, up and down the California coast, to be honest. Smiley

He called as I was reading your post, and said "Sure!"  LOL, if I'm in a position to do that, we might. It sounds wonderful. I've never been around there at all.

I have a bit of a dumb question - any idea if one would need a passport to go to the Canada side? I've only been out of the country once. I walked to Mexico! And back then it was no problem getting back in. If hubby needs a passport it might take time - he is an immigrant, and he also changed his name after he got his citizenship, so government things can take extra time for us.

That sounds wonderful though. And if I could make things work out, I might actually be able to go somewhere "just for fun". Smiley

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:56:46 PM »

I'm pretty sure you do need a passport to go from the U.S. to Canada. When I went there in 1992, I'm not sure we used them. I know I showed my driver's license, but I didn't even have a passport. I think they've changed the rules since then and you do need one.
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »

The simple answer is "yes". But there's always a story behind that, right? Canadian law does NOT require US citizens to present a passport (source). You, as a foreign visitor, won't be allowed to enter Canada unless you can leave the country. That means that since our border officers know that your US passport will be need to return to the US, you may be denied entry without one.
Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 02:32:07 AM »

I thought I had heard that the rules were changed. I went into Mexico in 2003, I believe. They only asked for my driver's license to come back in, and I had my daughter as well, and did not show anything for her.

But I thought they were now requiring passports for all entry. I didn't know if Canada would be different, or why it would be.

Thanks for the heads up. Smiley

genesisone
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 12:19:22 PM »

I thought I had heard that the rules were changed. I went into Mexico in 2003, I believe. They only asked for my driver's license to come back in, and I had my daughter as well, and did not show anything for her.

But I thought they were now requiring passports for all entry. I didn't know if Canada would be different, or why it would be.

Thanks for the heads up. Smiley
Yes. The US rule that requires passports for entry (in general even for US citizens as I understand it) changed about five years ago. My son was married in US in November of 2009 so that was when we had to get passports.

However, border crossing is usually still very simple unless you've been redflagged for some reason - previous border infraction, criminal record (including DUI), etc. Last time I crossed into US I and the friend in the car with me were asked only two questions: Citizenship? Carrying any alcohol or firearms? - Have a good day. Equally easy for the return home.
Bob2

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 12:33:58 PM »

enhanced drivers licenses are also accepted
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

enhanced drivers licenses are also accepted
Yes, quite right. Also Nexus cards can be obtained for frequent travellers. But these can be used only for land (and water?) crossings.

But the point is, don't let a simple little thing like a border keep you from enjoying fellowship, hospitality, and the consecration of a church  Cheesy !
NanaDeborah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

Just to be on the safe side you might want to check it out.  You can get a passport card cheaper than a regular book if you are only traveling by land or sea.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.
Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 01:37:35 PM »

Thanks so much for all of the helpful info. The last time I checked, the cost of a passport and the time it might take seemed quite an obstacle.

We will keep looking into it. Neither of us have any reason to redflag anything - the worst thing on my record is a parking lot scrape 20+ years ago, lol. My husband did immigrate as a child and changed his name as an adult, so that might slightly complicate things, but maybe not. All of his paperwork has been changed to his new name, though his immigration form still bears both names.

Who knows ... right now he's having to work out of state just to pay bills, but if we can both get decent jobs he can come home, and we could save enough to travel by next spring maybe. Maybe. Smiley  That would be so nice.

Father described the ceremony when he came back, making me wish even more I could have gone. Though he did say it was absolutely packed and barely any place to stand, LOL, and I think they had 7 or 9 priests there? I've never seen that many priests in one place, LOL, and of course the bishop would have been there (who I've also never seen).

It makes me wonder what it would have been like - if people ask for blessings? Maybe not in such a situation - that would likely take hours. Wink

Thanks again for the info. I'm going to work on this and see if I can make it happen, God willing. Smiley

Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »

Oh, the card is perfect. It will allow land travel to US and Canada, for 10 years is only $55, and cheaper to renew.

Much as I dream of visiting Greece and other places, if I can ever afford to do so (LOL) I suppose a passport will be the least of my concerns. Smiley  The card will do fine if we can make it up to Niagra. Smiley

Thanks again!

NanaDeborah
Elder

Faith: Orthodox catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 01:52:00 PM »

You can pay a little extra for expedited processing. Or if you live near a Passport Office you could make an appointment and drive, much faster that way. 

Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.
Anna.T
OC.net guru

Κύριε, ἐλέησον!

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »

You can pay a little extra for expedited processing. Or if you live near a Passport Office you could make an appointment and drive, much faster that way. 

Thanks for that info. I will probably need to wait and make sure it's more likely a "go" before investing in it. That will be helpful, thank you. Smiley

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: