Author Topic: "Arise O God, into the ark of thy holiness..."  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
"Arise O God, into the ark of thy holiness..."
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:43:47 PM »
At least I hope I'm remembering this Psalm phrase correctly.  It is from around 2/3 the way through the third set of Psalm readings in the 18th Kathisma during the Presanctified Liturgy.

At this phrase, the priest moves the Holy Gifts from the altar to the Table of Oblation (or vice versa - someone correct me if I'm wrong).  At the same moment, (in my parish) the reader pauses while the priest does this and the congregation prostrates.  Then the reader resumes.

Does anyone else do this?  Is this a Slavic or Greek practice (or other)?  Where does it say to do this (which Typicon) or is it some pious practice that our rector happens to like such that we do it.  The Bishop visited this week during Presanctified and the reader (who happens to be the choir director - he prefers to take over this) just blazed on through.  I guess our Bishop doesn't do this practice or like it or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:44:13 PM by Elisha »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Re: "Arise O God, into the ark of thy holiness..."
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:08:35 PM »
Psalm 131/132, v. 7-9:

7 We will go unto His tabernacles {or tents}, (and) we will worship in (that) place where His feet rest
8 Arise, Lord, into Your rest, You and the ark of Your holiness
9 Your priests will clothe themselves in righteousness, and your saints shall rejoice

That's my rough translation from the Septuagint text.

As for the tradition of moving the gifts at that particular point: I've seen it practiced by some and not practiced by others.  It seems like a particularly good point to do so, but the action isn't tied to the place - the transfer of the gifts to the Prothesis / Preparation table is a necessary act, but was developed independently of the particular verse of the Psalm, which is included in the service because it is a part of the historic set of Psalms of Ascent (the traditional psalms read / sung by pilgrims as they climbed Mt Zion to enter Jerusalem for feasts).  So neither party (the one who moves at that verse, and the one who does not) is more correct in their practice than the other.

As for the tradition of kneeling and being silent when the gifts are transferred: this is an ingrained custom of the Presanctified Liturgy which is completely appropriate.  It is tied to the action and not to the psalm, and is repeated when the gifts are brought from the Table of Preparation to the Altar at the Great Entrance.  It is also appropriate considering the season: Lent is a period of increased prostrations, kneeling during the services, and the practice of quiet (both of the body and of the soul).

I hope this helps.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."" Isaac Asimov

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:10:46 PM »
We do it at our parish and it is Antiochian.  When Bishop BASIL visited us a few years ago, we stopped. If we weren't supposed to, I'm sure he would have let us known.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »
Psalm 131/132, v. 7-9:

7 We will go unto His tabernacles {or tents}, (and) we will worship in (that) place where His feet rest
8 Arise, Lord, into Your rest, You and the ark of Your holiness
9 Your priests will clothe themselves in righteousness, and your saints shall rejoice

That's my rough translation from the Septuagint text.

As for the tradition of moving the gifts at that particular point: I've seen it practiced by some and not practiced by others.  It seems like a particularly good point to do so, but the action isn't tied to the place - the transfer of the gifts to the Prothesis / Preparation table is a necessary act, but was developed independently of the particular verse of the Psalm, which is included in the service because it is a part of the historic set of Psalms of Ascent (the traditional psalms read / sung by pilgrims as they climbed Mt Zion to enter Jerusalem for feasts).  So neither party (the one who moves at that verse, and the one who does not) is more correct in their practice than the other.

As for the tradition of kneeling and being silent when the gifts are transferred: this is an ingrained custom of the Presanctified Liturgy which is completely appropriate.  It is tied to the action and not to the psalm, and is repeated when the gifts are brought from the Table of Preparation to the Altar at the Great Entrance.  It is also appropriate considering the season: Lent is a period of increased prostrations, kneeling during the services, and the practice of quiet (both of the body and of the soul).

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Fr. George.  Still...are you saying it just developed organically and is not even mentioned (Holy Gifts transfer at that point in the Psalm) in any Typicon or rubrics book?  Commentary by authors/scholars on the Liturgy?

I think the Psalter we generally use to read from is HTM.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
We do it at our parish and it is Antiochian.  When Bishop BASIL visited us a few years ago, we stopped. If we weren't supposed to, I'm sure he would have let us known.

Are you saying you just happened to not do it on a Bishop visit or that you didn't do it on that occasion because of some communication but otherwise have always done it?  Just trying to clarify.

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »
^Bishop BASIL is pretty on top of things when it comes to liturgy.  We did stop, as the rubrics indicated and waited for the procession to finish before resuming the psalm.  I'm just saying that if Bishop BASIL would have wanted us to continue, he would have given us a look from his throne.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 04:02:48 PM »
^Bishop BASIL is pretty on top of things when it comes to liturgy.  We did stop, as the rubrics indicated and waited for the procession to finish before resuming the psalm.  I'm just saying that if Bishop BASIL would have wanted us to continue, he would have given us a look from his throne.

Gotcha, thanks.

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:57 PM »
This time of year again....

Was about to start a new thread since I had forgotten that I had posted it, but found my last year's thread.

So again....do you do this at your parish?  Any ROCOR parish's do it?  And since I don't believe Fr. George answered this, where does it say to kneel and pause the Psalm reading (jurisdiction rubrics book?  Typicon?  Elsewhere?)?

Offline scamandrius

• Last of the Romans
  • Merarches
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 05:00:51 PM »

Was about to start a new thread since I had forgotten that I had posted it, but found my last year's thread.

So again....do you do this at your parish?  Any ROCOR parish's do it?  And since I don't believe Fr. George answered this, where does it say to kneel and pause the Psalm reading (jurisdiction rubrics book?  Typicon?  Elsewhere?)?

We still do that.

I cannot find a note in the Typikon, but in the Liturgikon I own (published 1989 by the Antiochian Archdiocese of North America) on p. 343 it instructs the people to kneel after "Arise, O Lord..."  Once the diskos has been placed on the prothesis table, all rise and the reader continues with "Thy priests shall be clothed..."

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 05:34:25 AM »
We (Polish Church) kneel (without prostrations) during the whole 3rd set of the psalms during the Presanctified Liturgy.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

Offline age234

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 09:48:44 AM »

i have not seen this done at Rocor or Greek parishes. It may be a practice peculiar to just a few certain jurisdictions.

The Antiochian liturgikon explicitly instructs the reader to stop and kneel. However it gives a variant option where the Gifts are kept on the Prothesis from the beginning.

So, it would seem this action is tied to the location of the pyx (tabernacle). If it's on the altar, the gifts are transferred to the prothesis and we kneel; but if it's already on the prothesis table, there is no transfer and thus no kneeling.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:49:18 AM by age234 »