Author Topic: Deacons giving Communion? (and sub too)  (Read 202 times)

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Eastern America
Deacons giving Communion? (and sub too)
« on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:07 PM »
So, I've recently started attending a new parish, and the Deacon and sub deacon are, in addition to the priest, administering Communion.

Is this the norm, or wrong, or just something I've never seen before?

I'm used to a single priest giving communion, or two if the parish has them and the need.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
Re: Deacons giving Communion? (and sub too)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 12:03:03 AM »
Deacons can help give communion if there are a lot of people. Deacons can also take communion to the sick. I've never heard of subdeacons giving out communion.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • This is where I choose to tread
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 12:03:42 AM »
I would echo what AL said.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 12:04:00 AM »
I've seen a deacon give communion on a very busy Sunday when only one priest is present (we usually have two).  I have not seen a subdeacon do it.  If the priest blesses it, why not?

Do you have a lot of people communing?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »
Ahh, okay. And we do have a lot of people communing, which make sense why there would be multiple people, i just never saw it besides. A priest before.

Thank you all.

Also as for the subdeacon, after this week it won't matter because he will be ordained to the diaconate this coming Sunday.

Offline Bob2

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »
What jurisdiction is your new parish? I guessing it's not Serbian or ROCOR.  Yes, deacons are allowed to give communion, but my understanding is that historically they were primarily an extraordinary distributer of communion, primarily to the sick. I personally don't like it... but I am willing to admit that it is because 99% of my experience is in ROCOR and we don't do it. It is not a cause for scandal. Now subdeacons, that sounds very strange to me I've never seen that or read of that of that.

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
What jurisdiction is your new parish? I guessing it's not Serbian or ROCOR.  Yes, deacons are allowed to give communion, but my understanding is that historically they were primarily an extraordinary distributer of communion, primarily to the sick. I personally don't like it... but I am willing to admit that it is because 99% of my experience is in ROCOR and we don't do it. It is not a cause for scandal. Now subdeacons, that sounds very strange to me I've never seen that or read of that of that.

I'll say it isn't Serb or ROCOR and leave it at that here, lest someone finds out the parish I attend.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
I've never heard of subdeacons giving out communion.

And they shouldn't.  Nor should sub-deacons ever chant the petitions of the litany.  I've seen both, unfortunately, in the Antiochian Archdiocese in America.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »

And they shouldn't.  Nor should sub-deacons ever chant the petitions of the litany.  I've seen both, unfortunately, in the Antiochian Archdiocese in America.

I haven't seen them give communion, but I know a sub-deacon friend of mine has chanted petitions before.  His dad is a venerable old priest from the old country and he himself is an expert in Byzantine chant.  I have no idea of his basis for chanting petitions...just that I'm not comfortable with it.  I think he's only done it a couple of times before.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 12:05:26 PM »
AFAIK deacons giving Communion is a Greek thing. And the only one instance of ubdeacons doing that I've heard was among EP slavic dioceses.

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »

I haven't seen them give communion, but I know a sub-deacon friend of mine has chanted petitions before.  His dad is a venerable old priest from the old country and he himself is an expert in Byzantine chant.  I have no idea of his basis for chanting petitions...just that I'm not comfortable with it.  I think he's only done it a couple of times before.

Bishop BASIL of DOWAMA (Antiochian) has said, in a letter, to all priests, deacons, subdeacons and chanters that subdeacons are not permitted to do this despite how prevalent the practice has become.  I'll see if I can find it and post it.
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene