Author Topic: doxology sandwich  (Read 228 times)

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
doxology sandwich
« on: August 25, 2018, 12:01:18 PM »
I'm noticed occasionally in Church services the doxology is split up, like this:
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit...
[A different prayer inserted in the middle]
… both now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Does anyone know the purpose of splitting it up like this?
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
Re: doxology sandwich
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
This is the signal that a series of hymns, (stichera, troparia)  is coming to conclusion.  Depending on the service and the number of hymns specified the Doxology may or may not be split.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 01:19:19 PM »
This is one of those moments when the Byzantine Rite becomes so delightfully rich in ornamentation that no word other than Byzantine would do it justice (detractors might accuse us of being Baroque or even Rococco, but the difference is our layers of ornate liturgical charm are rich in theological substance, as opposed to being merely decorative).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 01:28:47 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about an actual sandwich.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline platypus

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
Thanks, everyone!

I'm sorry to disappoint :laugh:
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Online Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
I'm noticed occasionally in Church services the doxology is split up, like this:

Are you referring to the Great Doxology that we sing at the end of Orthros?

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »

Indeed.  For a gourmand and amateur liturgiologist like myself, a Doxology Sandwich sounds pretty good.

One nice thing about the Orthodox Church is the tasty food we often have after the Divine Liturgy.  No sir, no Protestant-minimalist stale Costco Muffins and Instant Coffee for the Orthodox!

The best coffee in the world can be had at Oriental Orthodox parishes; Ethiopian Coffee is the stuff of legend, but if one craves a coffee like Turkish coffee, but smoother, stronger and more refined, St. Ephrem’s Syriac Orthodox Cathedral in Burbank is worth a visit.

Then, after the Qurbono and coffee that is surely a product of Heaven, one can then drive a short distance to DuPars, the greatest coffee shop in the known universe (they had, and I assume/hope, they still have, a location on Ventura Boulevard in addition to their storied Farmers’ Market location.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline platypus

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

Are you referring to the Great Doxology that we sing at the end of Orthros?

No, I'm talking about the small doxology. An example is from Great Compline, in between the Prayer of Mannasses and the Psalms:

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
Lord have mercy on us; for we have hoped in Thee, be not angry with us greatly, neither remember our iniquities; but look upon us now as Thou art compassionate, and deliver us from our enemies, for Thou art our God, and we, Thy people; all are the works of Thy hands, and we call upon Thy name.
Both now and ever and unto ages. Amen.