Author Topic: How we miss out on the most important thing - The Liturgy!  (Read 229 times)

Offline ElisabethConvent

• Catalogue of Saint Elisabeth Convent
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: MP
"...The next thing that we should think about is that the words of our main service, our main Sacrament, our main prayer are meaningless for us, or we make them meaningless. Every supplication and every prayer is the prayer of the entire Church. It is our prayer that goes out of the mouth of the priest and the choir, this is our common prayer. I’d like to remind you once more: we all celebrate the Eucharist..."

source: http://catalogueofstelisabethconvent.blogspot.com.by/2016/05/how-we-miss-out-on-most-important-thing.html

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Re: How we miss out on the most important thing - The Liturgy!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
Which is why I do not understand prayer beads during Liturgy.

Offline benjohn146

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

I use the prayer rope at the Divine Liturgy. Every time that a moveable hymn, chant, or prayer is sung in Greek (I don't understand Greek yet) and that the book provided by my parish don't cover these parts, I keep my focus, my mind and my heart toward God by using the Prayer rope. Once the part that I cannot understand is passed, I go back to the liturgy.

Instead of drifting away, I keep my focus on God while I cannot understand what is going on, thus the Prayer rope.
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:57:09 AM »

I do not understand the issue.  Many priests have them while celebrating the Liturgy.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline ElisabethConvent

• Catalogue of Saint Elisabeth Convent
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: MP
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:20:51 AM »
Prayer beads can serve as a reminder to pray during services(or as stated above if a person does not understand the words) but ultimatley if a person comes to church, especially during liturgy the prayer needs to be with the church as a whole. As for individual prayer we have the rest of the time when we are not in church such as evening and morning prayers and basically at all other times as Ap.Paul sais "Pray without ceasing"(1 Thessalonians 5:17)

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »

I use the prayer rope at the Divine Liturgy. Every time that a moveable hymn, chant, or prayer is sung in Greek (I don't understand Greek yet) and that the book provided by my parish don't cover these parts, I keep my focus, my mind and my heart toward God by using the Prayer rope. Once the part that I cannot understand is passed, I go back to the liturgy.

Instead of drifting away, I keep my focus on God while I cannot understand what is going on, thus the Prayer rope.

In case I did not say it, Thank You!
Never would have thought if it, as our Liturgy is in English.

Priest or layman with beads, AFAIK, are not listening to The Liturgy, reflecting on what was just sung.
Ben John makes sense!  (Doesn't happen often around here, so thanks again, Ben).  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:53:49 PM by LenInSebastopol »