Author Topic: Hymnography to pray for others  (Read 97 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Hymnography to pray for others
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
When I want to pray for my own general welfare, I pray the Canon to the Guardian Angel. Is there any hymn I should pray for other people? Yesterday some friends were in trouble so I just prayed this same canon, but putting some little parts in the plural.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:37:06 PM by RaphaCam »
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Re: Hymnography to pray for others
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 08:52:57 AM »
There are various short prayers (however, I have them only in Serbian in my prayerbooks) for other people: family, friends, enemies, compatriots, people who asked us for prayers etc. They're included into the morning prayers, and/or to the prayeres before the Eucharist, or into the section "other prayers"/"prayers for various occassions".
There is a nice interecessory prayer, that I have also in my Serbian prayerbook.

If it's a certain person, you can say troparion or even the canon to her/his patron saint.
There are also special canons and akathists for various situations (illnesses, alcoholism, depression etc.) in different languages, even in the Internet, you have to try with Google.
The paraklesis canon to the Theotokos I think it's good not only for an individual, but in geenral for people needing a spiritual or physical help.

Another, very simple option, is just saying the Jesus prayer in modified way: Jesus Christ, Son of the God, have mercy on x/them/him etc.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)