OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:57:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Procession with full body of a Saint
Procession with relics of Saint - 0 (0%)
Full Body of Saint taken in procession - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Procession of the Holy Relics of Saints  (Read 126 times) Average Rating: 0
efrasios

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: RC with great admiration for Orthodoxy

« on: September 04, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »

Christos Anesti,

Friends I am a great one for Saints and for relics, I love to venerate relics, icons and pray to and learn about the Saints.  I am very interested in the processions where the full body of the Saint is processed and venerated.  For example St. Gerasimos in Kefalonia & St. Dionysious in Zakynthos (just to name two from the Greek islands) are carried around the town on their Saints days and I am moved very much by seeings these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uisr1nFxZoI Here is an example of one of these beautiful ceremonies.  I love how the sick (of mind and body, spirit etc.) lie down so that the Saint can be carried over them to bless and intercede for them and their intentions.  I am so moved by these processions and ceremonies/

I was wondering if somebody might be able to provide me information/ a list of Saints that are processed like this, I only know of/have seen Greeks do this but I know that is not the case. I am especially interested to know if anyone can tell me of any female Nun Saints who are processed in this way. I know there are thousands of relics in Churches all over the Orthodox world, which are often taken in processions but I am refering to the body of a Saint in this case.

I am RC and "we" don't tend to have this custom, I personally think it is beautiful and so moving and being such a lover of the Saints- the relics are just so special and seeing the Saint through the glass as they s processed through the Church/town to me is beautiful.  I have venerated Saints before but I would love to be present at one of these ceremonies one day and was wondering if anyone knew or could tell me about any Saints they know this is the case for...as I say especially interested to know of any female Saints that are processed like this.

I am really hoping to go to Greece (and Russia and other Orthodox countries) to see and share in these beautiful traditions....living in England we miss out on these things!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »

In Russia, they carry the relics of St. Artemy of Verkola around the compound on his feastday. If the whole body is available, it is carried. The same thing is done at the Holy Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra in Sergiev Posad. If only parts of the body are available, then the parts are carried in procession, such as the Head of St. John Chrysostom.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »

in the coptic church, any relics the church has are processed around the church every evening vespers service before the church new year.
we get to kiss the boxes of relics as they go round.
new years' eve is this wednesday evening! (10th september)
:-)
if you would like me to help you locate your nearest coptic church, please send a personal message.

we don't have any full body relics of saints in uk as far as i know.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:07:58 PM »

I am RC and "we" don't tend to have this custom, I personally think it is beautiful and so moving and being such a lover of the Saints- the relics are just so special and seeing the Saint through the glass as they s processed through the Church/town to me is beautiful.  I have venerated Saints before but I would love to be present at one of these ceremonies one day and was wondering if anyone knew or could tell me about any Saints they know this is the case for...as I say especially interested to know of any female Saints that are processed like this.
You used to! Unfortunate that it is no longer so widespread, but I'm sure you can still see it in isolated pockets of Catholicism. I wish I could give you reading materials, as I know I have read/heard about it, I just don't remember where! My friend said he had a layover in Milan and had time to go see St. Ambrose. He was surprised when he got to the cathedral that the pilgrims were separated from him by about 15ft. He asked some of the attendants if there was any way to venerate him but they all seemed confused by the idea of veneration.  Huh  Tongue

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

Luther would be pleased.  police

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: