Poll

Is the Kathisma at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts Sung or Read at your parish?

Sung
1 (16.7%)
Read
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Kathisma 18 at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts- Sung or Read?  (Read 250 times)

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
Christ is Risen!

I know that this may be a little too late, now with Bright Week already progressing, but I noticed that OCA parishes sing the kathisma at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts (usually Kathisma 18 "Unto the Lord in mine affliction did I cry/In my distress I cried to the Lord"), along with some parishes of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA, but ROCOR and MP parishes in Russia read it instead. Is there a reason behind this difference in practices? Are there some editions of the Typikon that call for singing it, or is singing the kathisma a Carpatho-Rusyn tradition that crept into OCA/Patriarchal Parishes from the Rusyn parishioners that joined the Metropolia after leaving the Greek Catholics (Rusyn Greek Catholics, as well as ACROD have a very strong tradition of congregational singing, singing even those parts of the services that would normally be read by the reader)?

Thank you!

Offline JTLoganville

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
Re: Kathisma 18 at the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts- Sung or Read?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
I do not know what their Typika specify; but practice I have observed is that the Kathisma is spoken in the AOA (while almost everybody stands for the "sitting Psalms"); and that it is chanted in the Serbian parishes (with almost everyone sitting).

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
Just one thing do clarify: by "reading" do you mean the psalms being spoken r a bit chanted (a kind of melorecitation)?
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »
I've always chanted it.  Not sure if this is correct, but my priest hasn't thrown a book at me for it yet.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
OCA parish read/chanted, not sung.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
I've always chanted it.  Not sure if this is correct, but my priest hasn't thrown a book at me for it yet.

I think I know what you mean, but given the question that Dominika is asking...

Just one thing do clarify: by "reading" do you mean the psalms being spoken r a bit chanted (a kind of melorecitation)?

In our parish when we say "read" it mean plain chanted, and if anything is said to "chanted" it means that it is sung

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »
By reading, I mean chanting in the traditional manner used for the Hours/Six Psalms or Scripture Readings (recitative chanting on one note).

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
By reading, I mean chanting in the traditional manner used for the Hours/Six Psalms or Scripture Readings (recitative chanting on one note).

OK, I've asked, because, indeed, here in Polish Orthodox Church we use "reading" for the recitative chanting, but some certains prayers are just really read (i. e. said), e.g. the prayers before the Communion, prayers on the kneeling Vespers on the Pentecost Sunday, some prayers during the minor blessing of the water etc.

Moreover, there are different melodies for the OT Readings, for NT readings and for psalms/prayers, even there are more differentations (e.g six psalms, but unfortunately it's almost forgotten here).

So, here in Poland the kathisma 18th is read (recitative chant), however in slower manner than other psalms - that's what I've been learnt to do, since at least a few times I read this kathisma during the Lenten Liturgies.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)