OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:28:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodbye to Catholic Ireland-Priests will to go to jail rather than break the...  (Read 1112 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: July 25, 2011, 02:55:04 AM »

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Priests-will-to-go-to-jail-rather-than-break-the-seal-of-the-confessional-125842888.html

Priests will to go to jail rather than break the seal of the confessional
Say seal of confession means they cannot disclose wrongdoings
By CATHY HAYES,IrishCentral Staff Writer

A founding member of the Association of Catholic Priests has said he would he would rather choose to serve time in prison rather than break the seal of confession.

In the wake of the Cloyne report the Irish government stated that priests who fail to report child abuse disclosed to them during confession, to the relevant authorities could face up to five years in prison...

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »

I'm pretty sure this was happing in Louisiana too.

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:44 AM »

The justice system has other means of getting prosecutions, surely, than investigating what was said to priests, especially since an oral confession heard years ago is on pretty soggy ground for admissibility, or so it seems to me.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »

Just out of curiosity, do Eastern Orthodox priests hold themselves to the same standard,  I.e. the seal of the confessional? Or would they report a confession of crime to the police?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
GJason

Faith: Roman Catholic becoming Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »

If the Priest refused to "break the seal of confession," then how would the police or anyone know what - if anything had been confessed to him in the first place?

Are the confessionals all bugged now or something?

"Merely to hear the word of God saves no one and is instead a condemnation. After hearing, one must do." - Blessed Theophylact
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »

Just out of curiosity, do Eastern Orthodox priests hold themselves to the same standard,  I.e. the seal of the confessional? Or would they report a confession of crime to the police?

There is, as I understand it, a variance of opinion here. However, an Orthodox priest is not required to give absolution when he hears a confession. He may withhold it until such time as the penitent turns himself in to the police. Orthodox confession is also not anonymous or necessarily formulaic. There is time for counsel and conversation. The priest has to answer to God as a witness for the penitent's repentance, and this, I think, would include how the penitent made things right with those he offended--victims, society, etc.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:40:26 PM »

I think this post from our own Fr. Chris should help answer your question.

Nothing told to Christ in Confession and witnessed by me can be divulged. Full stop.

However, there is always the counseling after the confession. Yes, if/when criminal activity is confessed, I do my best to reinforce to the penitent the importance of being repentant, part of which is setting the record straight.

Yes, I've driven children to stores to apologize to the store owner for stealing something, but it's the child who does all the talking; I say nothing.

If a person confesses something criminal to me that would be such as murder, child molestation, etc I would do all I could to help the penitent go to the legal authorities and help the victim or family have peace of mind. Thank God nothing like that has occurred yet....I have enough trouble with 'incense getting in my eyes' when hearing the pain caused to my parishioners from "every day" sins, and nothing as demonic as violent crime.

But, nothing said in Confession can be divulged. Ever.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »

Thanks, Peter.  (I wasn't asking to be provocative, just honestly was not sure.  Smiley )

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 01:31:27 AM »

Thanks, Peter.  (I wasn't asking to be provocative, just honestly was not sure.  Smiley )
I didn't take your sincere inquiry as an attempt to provoke. Smiley
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:03 AM »

In my understanding if the seal of confession is broken there can be jail time in after life. Anhow that is bad news for Ireland.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:06:57 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 03:53:32 AM »

In my understanding if the seal of confession is broken there can be jail time in after life.
Where did you hear this? Huh
pasadi97
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:21:53 AM »

Fr Cleopa or some other writtings.I don't remember exactly, just the idea i remember.
Tags: confession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: