OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:16:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mono(mia)physite/eastern orthodox  (Read 2904 times) Average Rating: 0
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 01:02:05 PM »

I think that citing miracles as "proof" that one faith is wrong and another is right is just unscholarly. I think it is a sign of desperation. What if I cited the miracles performed by our Teacher Dioscoros and Patr. St Severus as "proof" I am right and you guys are wrong? What makes your miracles any more verifiable/valid than mine?

Personally, I do not cite them as proof. There are plenty of other proofs which are totally non-miraculous, which I can site--such as the ecumenical councils themselves, which is my "proof" just as yours is the writings of your saints and your councils. I would be interested in an exposition that was historical, detailed, and unbiased, where a non-polemical discussion could take place, but I won't hold my breath since we have different ways of seeing things in the first place and are both convinced of our rightness.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians

Partisangirl
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

Personally, I do not cite them as proof. There are plenty of other proofs which are totally non-miraculous, which I can site--such as the ecumenical councils themselves, which is my "proof" just as yours is the writings of your saints and your councils. I would be interested in an exposition that was historical, detailed, and unbiased, where a non-polemical discussion could take place, but I won't hold my breath since we have different ways of seeing things in the first place and are both convinced of our rightness.
I personally don't cite the writings of my Saints as "proof" I am right either. I have studied Chalcedon and have come to the conclusion that it was deeply flawed, which is why I don't think I could ever join the EO communion. However, I appreciate the fact that you seem to see things more reasonably than many of your co-religionists do. But, thanks for sharing your thoughts nonetheless.

Peace and blessings,
Severian
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:07:31 PM by Severian » Logged

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (i.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

On hiatus from posting. PM me if you wish to contact me. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact

NOTE: Some of my older posts may not reflect my current views
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 01:13:05 PM »

I found Abbot Daniil's account:

http://www.holyfire.org/eng/doc_Daniil.htm#hol

It dates to 1106-1107, a time when the Catholics, not the Turks, were in control of Jerusalem.  I tried finding the above described "miracle" which discredits the Armenians, but to no avail.

Try again.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2011, 02:21:50 PM »

I found Abbot Daniil's account:

http://www.holyfire.org/eng/doc_Daniil.htm#hol

It dates to 1106-1107, a time when the Catholics, not the Turks, were in control of Jerusalem.  I tried finding the above described "miracle" which discredits the Armenians, but to no avail.

Try again.

Why do you take an adversarial tone with me? I was trying to be helpful to YOUR question. I apologize for misremembering.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »

Please forgive my tone.  In the private forum we've been getting a lot of stuff like this thrown at us lately, and it's getting to me.

Sorry.   Smiley

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »

Please forgive my tone.  In the private forum we've been getting a lot of stuff like this thrown at us lately, and it's getting to me.

Sorry.   Smiley

May God forgive us all! And may He enlighten good-willed, knowledgeable folks to work on overcoming our divisions in an Orthodox way. Our holy fathers on both sides did not resort to name calling and were magnanimous even in the face of hostility. If we can chip away the crusty calculus of centuries of polemics and suspicion, we may be able to better view the heart of the matter. I speak not at you, Salpy, but at the general debate, which I find all too often to be far too shallow.

Tags: Chalcedon 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: