OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:25:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Town Clerk Quits Over Opposition to Gay Marriage  (Read 4454 times) Average Rating: 0
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 12:21:35 AM »

IIRC you live in England no? If not my bad.
No. I live in a country where we elect our head of state, rather then leave it to a genetic lottery.

Here you going dissing the Royal Family again. I am going to ask nicely, stop doing that.

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 12:21:36 AM »

No. I live in a country where we elect our head of state, rather then leave it to a genetic lottery.
jealous that you lost out?
Not in the least. We won.

I'm going to chuckle to myself.  Cheesy

Forgive my sins.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:07 AM »

Good. If she can't do her job she should quit. Hope the door didn't hit her. If she needs a job, there's a KFC near me hiring.
Is that what they did with all those clerks who issued certificates to gay couples in San Francisco?
They were doing thier job, the issued certificates in accordance with thier superiors' interpretation of the law as it was at the time. Funny, I've never heard of a "Christian" official resigning because they couldn't bring them selves to issue marriage certificates to divorced persons, but then heterosexual proclivities are always forgiveable aren't they?
Actually this is the second case someone has resigned over this issue.
In that case good and good.
“I believe that there is a higher law than the law of the land. It is the law of God in the Bible.  In Acts 5:29, it states, ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’”

“The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.  Deuteronomy 10:12 says, ‘…What does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.’”

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/07/ny-broome-county-clerk-resigns-over-same-sex-marriage-cites-biblical-law.html

Good and Good indeed.
If that is the case, why didn't they resign the first time they were required to sign a certificate for a divorced person?
What's it to you?  You have the get.
When in doubt always reach for ad hom'
What ad hom'? You apostacized from the Church that has a prohibition against the divorce, for the Law of the Pharisees that doesn't. All facts, no?

So what position are you in to worry about a clerk's beliefs about the remarriage of the divorced, when you don't recognize such a prohibition yourself?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »

What prohibition against divorce? The Eastern Orthodox Church permits remarriage after divorce, as does the Episcopal Church.

Huh

Or is Isa arguing from the image of perfection that seems to exist only in his mind?   Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:03 AM »

Good. If she can't do her job she should quit. Hope the door didn't hit her. If she needs a job, there's a KFC near me hiring.
Is that what they did with all those clerks who issued certificates to gay couples in San Francisco?
They were doing thier job, the issued certificates in accordance with thier superiors' interpretation of the law as it was at the time. Funny, I've never heard of a "Christian" official resigning because they couldn't bring them selves to issue marriage certificates to divorced persons, but then heterosexual proclivities are always forgiveable aren't they?
“I believe that there is a higher law than the law of the land. It is the law of God in the Bible.  In Acts 5:29, it states, ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’”

“The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.  Deuteronomy 10:12 says, ‘…What does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.’”

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/07/ny-broome-county-clerk-resigns-over-same-sex-marriage-cites-biblical-law.html

Good and Good indeed.
If that is the case, why didn't they resign the first time they were required to sign a certificate for a divorced person?
What ad hom'? You apostacized from the Church that has a prohibition against the divorce, for the Law of the Pharisees that doesn't. All facts, no?

So what position are you in to worry about a clerk's beliefs about the remarriage of the divorced, when you don't recognize such a prohibition yourself?
i was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of refusaing to sign liceses for same sex couples, while not refusing to do the same for a divorced person.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »

What prohibition against divorce? The Eastern Orthodox Church permits remarriage after divorce, as does the Episcopal Church.

Huh

Or is Isa arguing from the image of perfection that seems to exist only in his mind?   Tongue
No, but Talliot seems to be.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:34 AM »

Good and Good indeed.

i was just trying to point out the hypocrisy of refusaing to sign liceses for same sex couples, while not refusing to do the same for a divorced person.
That presumes that they have a problem with remarrying a divorced person. Many (most?) Protestants do not.   Now, that a deficiency in their sectarian theology, but that's also a different question than they one you are taking them to task for.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2011, 10:13:06 AM »

Bottom line: same sex marriage is legal in New York. If this person couldn't or wouldn't carry out the duties of the position it's a good thing that she resigned. Now someone who can do the job can step in.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »

Bottom line: same sex marriage is legal in New York. If this person couldn't or wouldn't carry out the duties of the position it's a good thing that she resigned. Now someone who can do the job can step in.

Bottom(er) line: Legality doesn't equal morality. If she truly believes it to be immoral to be required to perform certain job functions, she should quit. She did.

I'm going to need this.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »

Does it actually state on a marriage certificate that one of the parties is a divorcee?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »

Bottom(er) line: Legality doesn't equal morality. If she truly believes it to be immoral to be required to perform certain job functions, she should quit. She did.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Was not slavery legal only 150 years ago in this country? How would folks like Tallitot justify that?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »

This is a little bit different than signing divorce papers.

Look at it this way... The Orthodox Church allows up to 3 divorces, and even 1 divorce should be avoided at all costs. But it is not the job of the Town Clerk to investigate and judge the state of the divorce.

However, the Orthodox Church does not allow homosexual marriage (or homosexual relationships) under any circumstances, at anytime, or anywhere.

Now, I know this woman isn't Orthodox. But I'm just trying to illustrate a point. There is a big difference between divorces and homosexual marriage. Traditionally, Christianity has permitted divorces as a last resort. But it has never, ever allowed homosexual relationships.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »

Took the words right out of my mouth. Was not slavery legal only 150 years ago in this country? How would folks like Tallitot justify that?
Like Thomas Jefferson, no doubt: blame the British Monarchy.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »

Does it actually state on a marriage certificate that one of the parties is a divorcee?

In IL IIRC you have to swear you have never been married, or are divorced and have to produce the divorce decree.  Basically Talliot either wants the clerk to not recognize any divorce (which would be applicable only if she were in submission to the Vatican, and even then to get an annullment you first have to get a divorce), or empower herself to second guess the judge who entered the divorce decree.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »

Bottom line: same sex marriage is legal in New York. If this person couldn't or wouldn't carry out the duties of the position it's a good thing that she resigned.

So much for the ban on ex post facto.  It wasn't in her job description when she was hired.  It's been changed midterm.
Now someone who can do the job can step in.
Yes.  Many regimes depend on such people.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »

Given your dislike of genetic lotteries, one has to wonder why you converted to a religion where one's status as a member of the Chosen People is, in the vast majority of cases, decided by genetic lottery.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »

Wow!   After Christians, Muslims form the largest religious grouping in the UK.

Presumably this court ruling will now bar all Muslims from becoming either foster parents or adoptive parents..... unless they are willing to state in front of adoption panels that they have renounced the Muslim teaching on homosexuality.

Iimagine when Muslims are told in court that they are forbidden to adopt Muslim children!!!  Hope the British judges have their homes bombproofed!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 12:31:34 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »

Good observation.

I wonder if they will dare to oppose Islam.

...they don't "turn the other cheek".

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »

I could probably think of immoral things done in 50% of work places, and which Orthodox would have to directly be involved in (or even supplying the immoral service)... are people going to quit being lawyers, chefs, or even bookstore workers because someone might do something immoral?
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2011, 01:22:46 PM »

I could probably think of immoral things done in 50% of work places, and which Orthodox would have to directly be involved in (or even supplying the immoral service)... are people going to quit being lawyers, chefs, or even bookstore workers because someone might do something immoral?

Might? Probably not. But required? I'd be surprised otherwise.

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2011, 01:25:20 PM »

You'd be suprised if they wouldn't quit?
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2011, 01:26:18 PM »

You'd be suprised if they wouldn't quit?

I'd be surprised, if they didn't refuse to perform said immoral conduct.

I'm going to need this.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »

Given your dislike of genetic lotteries, one has to wonder why you converted to a religion where one's status as a member of the Chosen People is, in the vast majority of cases, decided by genetic lottery.
LOL. PWND.

Btw, I won that genetic lottery.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:52:33 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »

Just heard on the radio that a suit has been filed, saying that the NY legislature violated its procedures and the open meetings law (the same sort of thing that the left used to stop the law in WI on unions, ultimately without success).

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »

Everyone else is doing it ....
I'd like to think most Orthodox Christians whose work contradicts the teachings they believe would get out of that position. Aren't we taught that our faith is more important than a job or monetary certainty? Thank God for the example of Martyr Cornelius the Centurion.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »

LOL. PWND.

But not entirely, or I wouldn't have been able to join.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »

I'd like to think most Orthodox Christians whose work contradicts the teachings they believe would get out of that position. Aren't we taught that our faith is more important than a job or monetary certainty? Thank God for the example of Martyr Cornelius the Centurion.
Don't count on it. I knew a woman who was very active in GO parish, her family had belonged for several generations, etc. She ran a video store and would personally order the X-rated videos she rented. She saw nothing wrong with this since "they would only rent them somewhere else".

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2011, 02:41:10 PM »

Don't count on it. I knew a woman who was very active in GO parish, her family had belonged for several generations, etc. She ran a video store and would personally order the X-rated videos she rented. She saw nothing wrong with this since "they would only rent them somewhere else".

What's your point? That there are people who don't live by the faith they pretend to profess or otherwise reason out their failures.

Stop the surprises... can't take it... must... take... artificial sugar....

I'm going to need this.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »

Here you going dissing the Royal Family again. I am going to ask nicely, stop doing that.
I was only refering to monarchies in general, I don't believe I mentioned any one by name.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:42:57 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »

What's your point? That there are most people who don't live by the faith they pretend to profess or otherwise reason out their failures.

Fixxxed.  Cool
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »

What's your point? That most people don't live by the faith they pretend to profess or otherwise reason out their failures.

Fixxxed.  Cool

Which, like I said, is a perfectly good reason for anyone to continue to not live by that faith.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2011, 02:47:04 PM »

What's your point? That there are most people who don't live by the faith they pretend to profess or otherwise reason out their failures.

Fixxxed.  Cool

So true... so true...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:49:18 PM by Azurestone » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »

A nice earthquake dumping SF and Hollywood into the sea, and global warming putting NYC under a mile of water could help.
Yes, I'm sure G-d'd getting ready to killhundreds of thousands of ppl to make you happy.  Roll Eyes

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »

I was only refering to monarchies in general, I don't believe I mentioned any one by name.
How about the Davidic?

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »

The Davidic monarchy hasn't ruled in ceturies.

Like I said before-this woman decided she couldn't do her job, she quit. Good move. I hope other clerks who feel the same way quit. It would be a shame if someone's special; day was ruined by a low level functionary who thought it was thier place to impose thier personal religious beliefs on the public.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »

LOL. PWND.

But not entirely, or I wouldn't have been able to join.
According to tannaitic law a proselyte has no share in the land of Israel and is unable to say in his prayers 'Our God and God of our fathers'.The son or daughter of a proselyte was known as a proselyte, the epithet disappearing only when the 'proselyte' was the offspring of a native Jewish mother.
http://books.google.com/books?id=MA-4VX5gWS4C&pg=PA944&dq=Talmud+proselyte+God+of++our+fathers+their+fathers+Israel&hl=en&ei=yr0tTp_kI6-HsALczPSmCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Talmud%20proselyte%20God%20of%20%20our%20fathers%20their%20fathers%20Israel&f=false
When such proselyte prays by himself he uses the words, The God of the fathers of Israel. And when he is in the synagogue he uses the words, The God of your fathers. But if his mother be of Israel he says, The God of our fathers.
http://books.google.com/books?id=pX6Q6C7wV2wC&pg=PA326&dq=Talmud+proselyte+God+of++our+fathers+their+fathers+Israel&hl=en&ei=4L4tTsjKE8HksQL_0ITmBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2011, 03:12:54 PM »

The Davidic monarchy hasn't ruled in ceturies.
Belief in the eventual coming of the mashiach is a basic and fundamental part of traditional Judaism. It is part of Rambam's 13 Principles of Faith, the minimum requirements of Jewish belief. In the Shemoneh Esrei prayer, recited three times daily, we pray for all of the elements of the coming of the mashiach: ingathering of the exiles; restoration of the religious courts of justice; an end of wickedness, sin and heresy; reward to the righteous; rebuilding of Jerusalem; restoration of the line of King David; and restoration of Temple service.

Like I said before-this woman decided she couldn't do her job, she quit. Good move. I hope other clerks who feel the same way quit. It would be a shame if someone's special; day was ruined by a low level functionary who thought it was thier place to impose thier personal religious beliefs on the public.
And you will feel the same way if the law is overturned for violation of the open meetings law, the suit now in court, and clerks who support the law as it stands now resign rather than have to refuse licenses to gay couples?

She didn't decide she couldn't do her job.  Her job was changed so she couldn't do it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:15:15 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2011, 03:16:24 PM »

A nice earthquake dumping SF and Hollywood into the sea, and global warming putting NYC under a mile of water could help.
Yes, I'm sure G-d'd getting ready to killhundreds of thousands of ppl to make you happy.  Roll Eyes
My happiness, sadness or indifference has no bearing on the matter.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2011, 03:23:44 PM »

It's only been one day since gay weddings have officially been able to commence in New York state after a historic vote allowed the Marriage Equality bill to pass legislative hurdles in June. Already, though, opponents of the bill have filed a lawsuit in the state court saying that "New York's Senate violated its own procedures and the state's open meetings law when it approved the bill on June 24,"....The group also claims, among other things, that Gov. [Andrew] Cuomo and the Senate ignored the constitutionally mandated three-day waiting period before a bill can be acted upon and that lawmakers approved the legislation in exchange for campaign contributions from Bloomberg and other high profile "Wall Street financiers."
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2011/07/gay-marriage-opponents-suing-new-york-state/40364/

Lord willing, this will be CA and ME all over again.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »

I'd like to say, if you came here to bach the Royal Family, stop (You know who I'm talking too).  police

Forgive my sins.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »

I'd like to say, if you came here to bach the Royal Family, stop (You know who I'm talking too).  police

Bach, what about Bach??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzR9bhei_o

No one is bashing the Royal Family. We are having a tangential discussion.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »

Which "royal" family? There's a plethora of them around the world>

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:23 PM »

Which "royal" family? There's a plethora of them around the world>
There are 4-7 continents around the world, but in English, when you say "the Continent," you have one in mind.  So too "the Royal Family," particularly when capitalized.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

FYI:  In New York, the uniform state license application asks the marital status of the parties; if the applicants indicate that one or both are divorced, then the Clerk is obligated to obtain additional information regarding the status of the prior marriage(s) prior to issuing a license.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

One has to wonder how other Jews in his synagogue embrace his homosexuality too.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: