OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:26:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New York Town Clerk Quits Over Opposition to Gay Marriage  (Read 4583 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« on: July 24, 2011, 02:22:15 PM »

New York Town Clerk Quits Over Opposition to Gay Marriage

A town clerk in western New York says she's resigning over her religious opposition to gay marriage.

Laura Fotusky submitted a letter of resignation to the town board in Barker on Monday, saying her religious beliefs prevent her from signing a marriage certificate for a gay couple, as she'd be required to do as a municipal clerk. The letter was published on the website of the Christian lobbying group New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »

Wow!  Good for her!  That took courage.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »

Glory be to God!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »

Glory to God!
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »

What does a civil marriage certificate have to do with the sacrament of marriage as observed by the Church? Nothing. I can't see anyone or anything stopping gay civil marriages from growing more and more acceptable in our society. A civil marriage has nothing to do with religion, so let them have it, I say. Then all of this nonsense can simmer down to silence (hopefully). Gays can enjoy their civil legal marriages, and Christians can enjoy their sacramental marriages. 

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 06:13:27 PM »

Glory to God! Many years!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 06:30:25 PM »

What does a civil marriage certificate have to do with the sacrament of marriage as observed by the Church? Nothing.

Everything.

The State can either protect and promote marriage as the institution the Church knows and this country held from its founding, or the State can attack it from all sides, like it is.

I can't see anyone or anything stopping gay civil marriages from growing more and more acceptable in our society.
A nice earthquake dumping SF and Hollywood into the sea, and global warming putting NYC under a mile of water could help.

A civil marriage has nothing to do with religion, so let them have it, I say.
It has everyting to do with society, and the Church is in the world, even if not of the world.

Then all of this nonsense can simmer down to silence (hopefully).

LOL.  Boy are you dreaming.

The first lesbian couple to get "married" (and then broke up less than a year later, with orders of protection, after living together over a decade. Btw, NY has had gay divorce for a while, having divorced a MA or Quebec couple years ago IIRC.  Same thing here in IL.  The first gay civil unions were July 2, but the first gay divorces were filed July 1) said that they couldn't accept civil unions because married "means society accepts us and people have to accept us as a married couple."  And you don't think that they are going to ram that acceptance down any disagreeing throats? LOL.

Gays can enjoy their civil legal marriages, and Christians can enjoy their sacramental marriages. 
And gays can force Christians out of foster care and adoption, and force explicit gay sex material into the school curriculum.  It has already happened.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »

Wow, somebody believes whatever he hears on the talk shows...  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »

LOL.  Boy are you dreaming.

Yes, I suppose I am. I dare to dream of a world where people live and let live and don't get their knickers in a knot over who legally resides with whom.  Smiley

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:40:48 PM »

I don't have television.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 07:48:35 PM »

Wouldn't know.  I don't watch talk shows.
Though it does seem someone has his head in the sand, or up darker regions. Shocked

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

LOL.  Boy are you dreaming.

Yes, I suppose I am. I dare to dream of a world where people live and let live and don't get their knickers in a knot over who legally resides with whom.  Smiley
Well, the Mormons do come from NY

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 07:56:05 PM »

What does a civil marriage certificate have to do with the sacrament of marriage as observed by the Church? Nothing. I can't see anyone or anything stopping gay civil marriages from growing more and more acceptable in our society. A civil marriage has nothing to do with religion, so let them have it, I say. Then all of this nonsense can simmer down to silence (hopefully). Gays can enjoy their civil legal marriages, and Christians can enjoy their sacramental marriages.

I heard a nearly identical argument about 3 years ago, only substitute civil unions for marriages.  No silence followed.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 08:01:23 PM »

This sums it up.

What a ridiculous decision by the woman.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »

This sums it up.

What a ridiculous decision by the woman.
Yes. How dare she not follow orders of the New Order.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »

Yes, because gay weddings are exactly the same as the people who did the Holocaust. (An argument coming from a divorced man, incidentally.) Roll Eyes He does know that the Nazis executed a lot of gay people, doesn't he? Or does he just not care?

Tongue

By the way, gay divorces are different from the high divorce rate among straight people how, exactly?
 Huh

« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:19:42 PM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »

And the acceptance of gay marriage actually hurts society then benefits one.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »

I don't have television.

Sorry, biro. I thought that was meant for me. Whether it was or not, for the record, I do not watch talk shows.  laugh

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:21 PM »

It wasn't you, Stavros. Sorry.  Smiley

spcasuncoast.org
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »

I agree with this on a personal level, because I see both as two completely separate entities. As long as they don't mess with our right to refuse to honor or perform those marriages as the church...I do not see the state as the political arm of the church, so aside from a moral argument, I can't say that a state can't decide to grant civil marriages to whomever.

Plus, I know that it's not kosher to rank sins, and I don't like to, but if you worked for the CIA, FBI, any government agency, you'd probably have some bigger sins to confess to God than just signing a gay civil marriage certificate!

These are our choices as we enter the workplace in the public sector, and if she feels like she can't sign gay marriage licenses, good for her that she resigned. At least they won't have to be dealing with an employee who just sits there and says "no" every time someone hands her a certificate. And she made her stand. Win-win.

Edited to add: Having this stand does not mean that I accept gay marriage, by the way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:28:16 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2011, 08:27:20 PM »

Yes, because gay weddings are exactly the same as the people who did the Holocaust.

More like the ones who brough down the Roman Empire, though the Third Reich had enough in common with them (brides of the Fuehrer, etc.)

(An argument coming from a divorced man, incidentally.) Roll Eyes
Exactly. I know from experience how screwing up family law is not just a private issue. police

He does know that the Nazis executed a lot of gay people, doesn't he? Or does he just not care?
Yes, he knew, having been to a number of concentration camps amongst other things.  And they executed a lot of communists too.  Doesn't make me sympathetic to the Stalinists.

Tongue
Tongue

By the way, gay divorces are different from the high divorce rate among straight people how, exactly?
 Huh
for one thing, heterosexuals had heterosexual marriage before they had heterosexual divorce, unlike the gay variety.

IIRC in Scandinavia the "marriage" rate amongst gay falls far short of the heterosexual, already dismal, and outdo the heterosexuals in divorce.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 08:34:00 PM by ialmisry » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »

I agree with this on a personal level, because I see both as two completely separate entities.

It doesn't matter how you see it, no offense. Besides how God sees it, there is also the problem of how acts in society, and in the law.

As long as they don't mess with our right to refuse to honor or perform those marriages as the church...I do not see the state as the political arm of the church, so aside from a moral argument, I can't say that a state can't decide to grant civil marriages to whomever.
I can't wait for polygamy being legalized.

Plus, I know that it's not kosher to rank sins, and I don't like to, but if you worked for the CIA, FBI, any government agency, you'd probably have some bigger sins to confess to God than just signing a gay civil marriage certificate!
Do remember that the next terrorist plot that is thwarted.

But besides that, since she wasn't working for the CIA, FBI etc... what is the relevance of the observation?

These are our choices as we enter the workplace in the public sector, and if she feels like she can't sign gay marriage licenses, good for her that she resigned. At least they won't have to be dealing with an employee who just sits there and says "no" every time someone hands her a certificate. And she made her stand. Win-win.
I agree. Didn't see any of the SF clerks make a similar stand when told to stop issuing the marriage license to gay couples.  Nor the clerks in Cook County under similar circumstances.

Edited to add: Having this stand does not mean that I accept gay marriage, by the way.
Evil only needs good men to do nothing.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »

I am concerned about evil, and BTW, I am trying to head in the FBI, CIA direction, so I know what I am getting into. I am not dogging them. I am preparing myself for the inevitability that I will probably commit sins in the name of my career, and questioning whether I want to go ahead.

And IS there a way to make the anti-gay marriage argument without the slippery slope, moral argument? Just wondering. And no, I don't want polygamy to be legal either.

Like I've said in other posts, I think there are bigger fish to fry and I think it should be a state decision. If my state opened a vote on it, I would vote a "no." (And, no, it's not about "h8," people!) Simple as that. I don't agree with a federal marriage amendment.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »

And IS there a way to make the anti-gay marriage argument without the slippery slope, moral argument? Just wondering. And no, I don't want polygamy to be legal either.

Gay marriage loses sight/redefines the meaning of marriage. For proponents of gay marriage, marriage is reduced to a recognised union between two individuals. However, marriage is necessarily much more than this. Marriage is the union of a man and a woman, not only for their own love for one another, but also in order to create and raise new life. Marriage, then, is literally the foundation upon which society is built, i.e. many families together create a state for the mutual support and protection of one another. An erosion of marriage is a destruction of society and the state, with no mention of the moral and religious implications.

I'm going to need this.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »

I am concerned about evil, and BTW, I am trying to head in the FBI, CIA direction, so I know what I am getting into. I am not dogging them. I am preparing myself for the inevitability that I will probably commit sins in the name of my career, and questioning whether I want to go ahead.
Any career has its temptations.  Even monasticism.

Like I've said in other posts, I think there are bigger fish to fry and I think it should be a state decision. If my state opened a vote on it, I would vote a "no." (And, no, it's not about "h8," people!) Simple as that. I don't agree with a federal marriage amendment.
Given the court decision in CA heading for SCOTUS, no other choice.

Btw, IIRC no state has voted in this change, and when put to a vote, even HI, CA, and ME rejected it.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »

I agree with this on a personal level, because I see both as two completely separate entities. As long as they don't mess with our right to refuse to honor or perform those marriages as the church...I do not see the state as the political arm of the church, so aside from a moral argument, I can't say that a state can't decide to grant civil marriages to whomever.

The problem is that once there is gay marriage, it won't be long (if it doesn't immediately happen), before private businesses are forced to recognize them and give benefits to homosexual "husbands" or "wives" of their workers, even if the entire board of directors and C.E.O./President, and 99% of shareholders are opposed on religious grounds, because the business isn't a religious entity that qualifies for an exception.  The recognition of so-called gay marriage, by the government, will impact society in many ways as courts require various types of acceptance of gay marriage by non-governmental entities. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 10:27:57 PM »

Good. If she can't do her job she should quit. Hope the door didn't hit her. If she needs a job, there's a KFC near me hiring.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:32:45 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 10:33:11 PM »

Good. If she can't do her job she should quit. Hope the door didn't hit her.

You're right. She shouldn't be doing a bad job when it comes to marriage certificates.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »

Good. If she can't do her job she should quit. Hope the door didn't hit her. If she needs a job, there's a KFC near me hiring.
Is that what they did with all those clerks who issued certificates to gay couples in San Francisco?

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »

Is that what they did with all those clerks who issued certificates to gay couples in San Francisco?
They were doing thier job, the issued certificates in accordance with thier superiors' interpretation of the law as it was at the time. Funny, I've never heard of a "Christian" official resigning because they couldn't bring them selves to issue marriage certificates to divorced persons, but then heterosexual proclivities are always forgiveable aren't they?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:50:12 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »

I think we need to ask how England has a KFC.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »

They were doing thier job, the issued certificates in accordance with thier superiors' interpretation of the law as it was at the time. Funny, I've never heard of a "Christian" official resigning because they couldn't bring them selves to issue marriage certificates to divorced persons, but then heterosexual proclivities are always forgiveable aren't they?
Actually this is the second case someone has resigned over this issue.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:23 PM »

I'm sorry but that staement makes no sense to me.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »

I'm sorry but that staement makes no sense to me.
IIRC you live in England no? If not my bad.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 10:55:01 PM »

In that case good and good.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:55:41 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 10:55:37 PM »

“I believe that there is a higher law than the law of the land. It is the law of God in the Bible.  In Acts 5:29, it states, ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’”

“The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.  Deuteronomy 10:12 says, ‘…What does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.’”

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/07/ny-broome-county-clerk-resigns-over-same-sex-marriage-cites-biblical-law.html

Good and Good indeed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 10:56:18 PM by Aposphet » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 11:00:42 PM »

“I believe that there is a higher law than the law of the land. It is the law of God in the Bible.  In Acts 5:29, it states, ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’”

“The Bible clearly teaches that God created marriage between male and female as a divine gift that preserves families and cultures. Since I love and follow Him, I cannot put my signature on something that is against God.  Deuteronomy 10:12 says, ‘…What does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways, to love Him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and soul, and to observe the Lord’s commands and decrees that I am giving you today for your own good.’”

http://www.towleroad.com/2011/07/ny-broome-county-clerk-resigns-over-same-sex-marriage-cites-biblical-law.html

Good and Good indeed.
If that is the case, why didn't they resign the first time they were required to sign a certificate for a divorced person?

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:31 PM »

No. I live in a country where we elect our head of state, rather then leave it to a genetic lottery.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 11:02:43 PM »

Nope its very very real

Christian foster couple lose 'homosexuality views' case
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »

They were doing thier job, the issued certificates in accordance with thier superiors' interpretation of the law as it was at the time.
So just following orders, as I noted above.
Funny, I've never heard of a "Christian" official resigning because they couldn't bring them selves to issue marriage certificates to divorced persons, but then heterosexual proclivities are always forgiveable aren't they?
That's now a proclivity the gays share: as I noted above, gay divorce preceeded gay "marriage"/civil union in both IL and NY.

And the issue of a divorcee depends on the circumstances, at least for Christians.  For Muslims and yourself, all a woman would need would be a get. For a gay "marriage," all the facts one needs are evident: or should be. In IL we had a court case where the woman turned out to be a transexual, who counts (at the time at least) as being the same sex he started with: he had claimed that the clerk issuing a marriage certificate recognized him as a she.  The Appellate Court didn't buy it.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 11:07:10 PM »

No. I live in a country where we elect our head of state, rather then leave it to a genetic lottery.
jealous that you lost out?

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

Good and Good indeed.
If that is the case, why didn't they resign the first time they were required to sign a certificate for a divorced person?
What's it to you?  You have the get.

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:53 PM »

Good and Good indeed.
What's it to you?  You have the get.
When in doubt always reach for ad hom'

Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »

jealous that you lost out?
Not in the least. We won.

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »

New York Town Clerk Quits Over Opposition to Gay Marriage

A town clerk in western New York says she's resigning over her religious opposition to gay marriage.

Laura Fotusky submitted a letter of resignation to the town board in Barker on Monday, saying her religious beliefs prevent her from signing a marriage certificate for a gay couple, as she'd be required to do as a municipal clerk. The letter was published on the website of the Christian lobbying group New Yorkers for Constitutional Freedoms...

Forgive my sins.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: