OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:21:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheists/Non-Christians continue to prove Christianity "right".  (Read 966 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 23, 2011, 11:12:15 PM »

After various recent events in the world, and seeing the reactions of self-proclaimed atheists, and others who have made anti-Christian statements, I believe they are showing us to be more and more right. Not necessarily in a factual sense, but in the way that the pagans proved the Christians to be right. They show that we have far more compassion and love for our fellow human beings than they do.

When it was announced that Amy Winehouse had died due to their unfortunate drug usage, I witnessed comments on other forums and websites by atheists who made rehab jokes, and drug-use jokes about her, not to mention calling her various names, such as an "attention whore", calling her "Crackhouse"...

Oh, and not to mention the anti-Christian comments being made about the shooter from Norway.

You know... This is one of the reasons why the Pagans failed to keep down Christianity, because the Christians were recognized as being more compassionate than the Romans themselves, and the people eventually turned against persecution of the Christians because of their compassion.

Compare those kinds of comments from non-Christians with those from Christian websites, and you can easily see what the true religion of peace is, and what Christianity truly is about.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:26:37 PM »

There are "pagans" who are wise and compassionate, and "pagans" who are not so wise and compassionate. You're probably encountering those who are not so wise and compassionate.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:35:29 PM »

I'm glad that, when I was an agnostic/atheist, I was never attacked for expressing my sincere best wishes for a Christian who had died and for his family. Oh wait, I was attacked.

Well at least it wasn't a Christian who attacked me. Oh wait, it was a Christian.

At least he wasn't Orthodox. Oh wait, he was.

At least it wasn't on this forum. Oh wait, it was.

At least he was just some random poster. Oh wait, it was a Global moderator who did it.

(Btw, I was then, and still am, a friend with that [former] Global Moderator... my point is just that sometimes people don't react the way you might hope they would)
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:40:33 PM »

Oh Lord, please grant this "compassion" to everyone for each other, everywhere, and shower those who reject it with your un-dying love!  Amen!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 11:42:50 PM »

I'm glad that, when I was an agnostic/atheist, I was never attacked for expressing my sincere best wishes for a Christian who had died and for his family. Oh wait, I was attacked.

Well at least it wasn't a Christian who attacked me. Oh wait, it was a Christian.

At least he wasn't Orthodox. Oh wait, he was.

At least it wasn't on this forum. Oh wait, it was.

At least he was just some random poster. Oh wait, it was a Global moderator who did it.

(Btw, I was then, and still am, a friend with that [former] Global Moderator... my point is just that sometimes people don't react the way you might hope they would)

Dear Asterikos, Only Christ was able to show love and compassion for His fellow man 100% of the time.  The rest of us are human, and very much so.  Please forgive whoever offended you, he can't help his humanity.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:43:36 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 11:44:18 PM »

My point is NOT that only Christians are compassionate. My point is that Christians have traditionally shown more compassion than the rest of the world. This doesn't mean the rest of the world is incapable of compassion, and it doesn't mean a Christian is incapable of not showing compassion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »

Oh Lord, please grant this "compassion" to everyone for each other, everywhere, and shower those who reject it with your un-dying love!  Amen!

Amen.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 03:02:35 AM »

Well atheists have no objective ground to treat humans anymore than a disease of the dust.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

Actually I've known many atheists who were pretty "normal" and "moral" people.

The problem with atheists is not always how they live or their morality (of course sometimes this is the case).

The problem is Atheism is really satanic/gnostic.

Any atheist will tell you that they "follow their own will".   

Lucifer put himself over god, by doing his own will.
Master witch and mason Aliester Crowley is famous for saying "Do what thy wilt shall be the whole of the law".

Atheism re-enacts what Lucifer did in Isaiah 14.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:43:46 PM »

The problem with atheists is not always how they live or their morality (of course sometimes this is the case).

The problem is Atheism is really satanic/gnostic.

Any atheist will tell you that they "follow their own will".  

Lucifer put himself over god, by doing his own will.
Master witch and mason Aliester Crowley is famous for saying "Do what thy wilt shall be the whole of the law".

Atheism re-enacts what Lucifer did in Isaiah 14.
Crowley was only repeating an ancient Christian idea, often traced to St. Augustine: "Dilige et quod vis fac", "Habe caritatem et quod vis fac", both meaning something like "Love/Have charity, and do what you will".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:44:17 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »

I like Crowley cause he has a cool song. amirite?

Also, I find it interesting that the title of this thread is what it is, yet I find many of the comments making me more sympathetic towards atheism.  police
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 02:06:43 PM »

I like Crowley cause he has a cool song. amirite?
I don't think Crowley wrote songs (he was more of a wordsmith), but Ozzie did:

"Mr. Crowley, what went wrong in your head?
Oh, Mr. Crowley, did you talk with the dead?
Your life style to me seemed so tragic
With the thrill of it all
You fooled all the people with magic
You waited on Satan's call
Mr. Charming, did you think you were pure
Mr. Alarming, in nocturnal rapport
Uncovering things that were sacred manifest on this Earth
Conceived in the eye of a secret
And they scattered the afterbirth
(Solo)
Mr. Crowley, won't you ride my white horse
Oh, Mr. Crowley, it's symbolic of course
Approaching a time that is classic
I hear maidens call
Approaching a time that is drastic
Standing with their backs to the wall
Was it polemically sent
I wanna know what you meant
I wanna know
I wanna know what you meant"

I think Ozzie displays a surprising level of spiritual sophistication in this song. From a Hindu perspective, Crowley might be seen as a guru of demons. (Even demons need teachers.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 02:26:36 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »

I didn't mean that Crowley wrote the song Mr. Crowley Cheesy
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »

I'd say one of the big problems, is that many/most of them accept Darwinian Evolution. Therefore, in cases like with Amy Winehouse, they would simply say that it is "Strongest Survive" playing out, and that she had it coming to her. Whereas the natural Christian response would be love, compassion and prayer.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »

I'd say one of the big problems, is that many/most of them accept Darwinian Evolution. Therefore, in cases like with Amy Winehouse, they would simply say that it is "Strongest Survive" playing out, and that she had it coming to her. Whereas the natural Christian response would be love, compassion and prayer.

It's because of dumb statements like these that I said the following earlier:

"I find it interesting that the title of this thread is what it is, yet I find many of the comments making me more sympathetic towards atheism"

Keep going, by all means!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 03:47:26 PM »

It's because of dumb statements like these that I said the following earlier:

"I find it interesting that the title of this thread is what it is, yet I find many of the comments making me more sympathetic towards atheism"

Keep going, by all means!

My statement is true though, you absolutely cannot doubt that. Darwinian Evolution inevitably leads one to hold a "survival of the fittest" attitude. This also leads towards a lack of compassion due to some sense of "karma".

How do you explain that it is most atheists (who believe in evolution) that are making these disgusting comments about her and making these insults to her?

Nowhere have I implied that all Atheists hold to Darwinian Evolution (or even Social Darwinism), but my point is that Christians, inevitably, cannot hold to absolute Darwinian Evolution, and are actually called to compassion, no matter what the circumstances. Atheists answer to no real underlying call for compassion, other than what is prescribed by their social views. For many of them, those social views are dominated by Social Darwinism, which will lead them to having less compassion for self-destructive humans.

I'm not saying, nor did I ever say that they don't have any compassion at all. We can see that they do indeed have compassion for tragedies like the Norway attacks. But the fact remains that they have no obligation to feel compassion for a woman like Amy Winehouse, who was absolutely overcome with addiction and died as a result of said addiction.

Or you can take this as an example... Imagine a situation where someone decides to start shooting at police, subsequently, that person is shot an killed. An atheist who holds to Social Darwinism will inevitably not show much compassion for the shooter, whereas the Christian is called to love and pray for even the shooter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:52:28 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »

That's not the argument I'm making. I am saying that atheists have no reason to be moral.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 04:00:30 PM »

Actually I would argue that darwinian evolution, upon one's acceptance of such, would delve more into the realm of eugenics.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »

Actually I would argue that darwinian evolution, upon one's acceptance of such, would delve more into the realm of eugenics.

Yes, but I didn't want to open up that can of worms, lol...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »

And quite the can of worms they are. Next let's see if Asteriktos will be so sophristically inclined to explain away the worms.  Wink

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: