OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:17:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE LIGHT of HAILE SELASSIE I  (Read 3018 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« on: July 23, 2011, 09:26:58 PM »

I am so thankful for the legacy and light of His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia! The corrupt powers of this fallen world continually try to suppress knowledge and understanding of this wonderful King. But by the power of God, Haile Selassie's light penetrates the dark corners of our world, enlightening minds and uplifting hearts. The words of His Majesty provide guidance and wisdom in these tribulation times of injustice, sin, and oppression. They illuminate the issues of social justice, world peace, divine morality, spiritual strength, and the brotherhood of man. But most importantly, the life, example, and teachings of Haile Selassie point to the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus Christ and to the true Christian Faith of the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

The teachings and example of His Majesty saved me from the perversions and heresies of Western Protestantism. Through His Majesty’s life and words, my eyes, mind, and heart were opened to discover the Light and Truth of the ancient and mystical Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Faith. Because of his faithfulness to Christ and His Church, I and countless others were led to the redeeming waters of Holy Baptism.

As with all truly righteous people of history, the devil tries to diminish their memory, assail their character, and pervert their meaning. Sadly today, there are some who speak evil things about our King, while others have erroneously elevated H.I.M. to the status of God Himself. But on this anniversary of his birth, let us not fall prey to Satan’s lies. Let us honor Haile Selassie by promoting the words he spoke and by emulating the example he left for the world. And His Imperial Majesty had no greater love and passion than that all people should come to receive Jesus Christ through Baptism into His True Church.

It is my personal prayer and hope that His Imperial Majesty Emperor Haile Selassie will one day be recognized as a Saint by our Ethiopian Orthodox Church. But whether or not that happens, I have no doubt that His Majesty is now with Our Lord, interceding on behalf of the Orthodox faithful and on behalf of the entire world. 

May his prayers be with us; may his words be magnified; and my his memory be ever eternal!

Selam, -GMK-

“This age, above all ages, is a period in history when it should be our prime duty to preach the Gospel of Grace to all our fellow men and women. The love shown in Christ by our God to mankind should constrain all of us who are followers of and disciples of Christ to do all in our power to see to it that the message of Salvation is carried to those of our fellows for whom Christ the Savior was crucified, but who have not had the benefit of hearing the Good News.”
-H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I-

“Let us arise and labor to lead our brothers and sisters to our Savior Jesus Christ, Who alone can give life in its fullest sense.” -H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I-

“We in Ethiopia have one of the oldest versions of the Bible. But however old the version may be, or in whatever language it may be written, the Word remains one and the same. It transcends all boundaries of empires and all conceptions of race. It is eternal.”  -H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I-

“Today man sees all his hopes and aspirations crumble before him. He is perplexed and knows not whither he is drifting. But he must realize that the solution to his present difficulties and guidance for his future action is the Bible. Unless he accepts with clear conscience the Bible and it great message, he cannot hope for salvation. For myself, I glory in the Bible.”

“It is our firm belief that only what the Lord wills shall be done. We should be careful that the results thus achieved by mankind should not meet with the fate of the Tower of Babel, the handiwork of those people of old which came to pieces in their hands.”  -H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I-

“It is our conviction that all the activities of the children of men which are not guided by the Spirit and counsel of God will bear no lasting fruit.” -H.I.M. Emperor Haile Selassie I-

“However wise or however mighty a person may be, he is like a ship without a rudder if he is without God.”

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:33:58 AM »

Haile-lujah...Hallelujah  Smiley

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Amen Amen.

jah, Rastafari!

kedmawi kedmawi negus I!

folks can't understand how much HIM is a testimony in the flesh and blood of the surety of the promises of God in the earth.  God promised that little man David that his posterity would reign over the descendants of Israel as long as the sun and moon continue their course, and HIM birth represents the perpetuation of that promise.  If that one promise of God has been manifested over thousands of years, surely the promises God makes to each of us individually are equally in full force for Eternity!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »

He was a great Christian man. Definitely one of my heroes  Smiley.
tesfa mariam

Faith: orthodox tewahdo
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:24:30 PM »

What did you mean by Jah rastefari.. i think jah means something like a creator. but i don't understant the whole "jah rastefari"?
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:21:06 AM »

Blessed.. Blessed.. Blessed..

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »

Well Ras is a title of Ethopian nobility I know that much. I believe Tafari was the Emperor's birth name. If I remember rightly Jah Rastafari was co-opted by the Rastafarian faith out of it's original context.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
tesfa mariam

Faith: orthodox tewahdo
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »

Yes! I should know
 that. I know amharic but I never paused to think the words separately. Ras tefery was haileselases name before crowned king. Thank u.
Arnaud

Jurisdiction: None for now.. not yet chrismated and not yet a catechumen in church either.. it's been years I have been catechumenizing myself so to speak.. in doing research again and again.. hopefully one day I will be chrismated in one of the Oriental Orthodox Churches.. or who knows maybe in one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches.. but right now miaphysite christology seems right to me..

God is VERY GREAT and I am very small

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »

JAH is another form of YAH (with the latin sound 'J' which replaced the 'Y'), which is an abbreviation of the Holy Name God revealed on Mount Sinaï : YHWH (Ie. YAHWEH). Ras is an Ethiopian title, equivalent to a Duke in the civilian hierarchy, and a Field Marshal in military terms. Ras literally means Head. Teferi was one of the birth names of H.I.M. Haile Selassie 1st, and means someone or something (in this case someone) that is feared ; which inspires fear, awe, or danger.

Before being crowned Negus (King), then Negusa Negast (King of kings), Ras Teferi Mekonnen was a little already known by the press as one of the Ethiopian delegations that came in the West to discuss and cooperate on various matters, and then, after, as being the heir of the kingdom of Abbyssinia.

For a reason that I'm ignoring, even after becoming King of kings (Emperor) of Ethiopia, the black people in the West who saw him as the returned Christ have continued to call him Ras Teferi in addition to his new titles and his new regnal name Haile Selassie I. They put JAH before Ras Teferi and began shouting JAH ! Ras Tafar-I ! (Tafar-I as pronounced by them, not 'Teferi'). This is their 'Alleluia Glory to God !' if you want..

They also put JAH before a lot of names, nouns, JAH this.. JAH that.. probably in order to express the unity of God in His creation..

Although, with no doubts, originally used to express their confession of H.I.M. Haile Selassie I as the Almighty, the returned Christ, this motto is now used by many, who not necessarily hold this confession, because of its meaning  = JAH (Ie. God) the Head that is feared/inspires awe.. seen ?

Biblically speaking, the use of 'JAH Rastafari', word by word according to its meaning, would be correct.. However, I personally avoid its use because of its general association to the belief that H.I.M. Haile Selassie I (once Ras Teferi) would be God..

Mo'a Ambessa ze imnegede Yehuda !
The Lion of the tribe of Judah has conquered !
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 03:48:13 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

Jah is an English attempt at a transliteration of the Hebrew "Yah" which itself is said to be a shortened form of "Yahweh" though in truth this word "Yahweh" may never have existed in the time of the Hebrew scriptures, Yahweh is an attempt and trying to form an English pronunciation of the unpronounceable name of God in Hebrew, which the copyists chose to replace variously with "LORD" in the Scriptures.

In the Olde English many of the "y"s of other languages were transposed to "j"s and so "Yah" became "Jah" (or "Jahoviah") just as "Ieyesus Kiristos" became "Jesus Christ" its just the particular way original English pronounces these "y" sounds.

In the Rastafari culture, to ascribe the title of "Jah" has several intertwined layers of meanings, on the surface view when applied to HIM Haile Selassie pre-Coronation title and name of Ras Tafari it is to ascribe in various ways the divinity in connection with the Davidic Monarchy.  For some, HIM is considered the very incarnation of the Father, for some HIM is the return of Jesus Christ on the Earth, for others HIM is considered an entirely different deity altogether from Western Christianity based on an abhorrence to the histories of slavery and colonialism.  For folks like myself, the title of Jah Rastafari is to connect the Divine Godhead which cooperates in Grace through the Divine Theocratic Monarchy of the Solomonic Emperors of Ethiopia.  As the Revised Constitution of 1955 elaborated, "By virtue of His Imperial Blood, as well as by the anointing which He has received, the person of the Emperor is sacred, His dignity is inviolable and His Powers indisputable. He is consequently entitled to all the honors due to Him in accordance with tradition." Those folks like myself then do not necessarily believe that HIM is God of himself, rather that God operates THROUGH the personality of HIM as a living saint, similar to the theology of Holy See of Saint Peter and the Vicar of Christ teachings of the Papacy.  I know folks will jump on the "this is not Orthodox" bandwagon but I can only testify and witness to you what Rastafari culture is.

There are other levels of the title "Jah" for example other Rastafari brothers, generally Elders or at least folks who serve as community leaders, are also titled "Jah" as in "Jah Pidow" or my good friend "Jah Faith" etc etc.. In this context, the title is meant to acknowledge that God cooperates within human persons, and that God dwells inside the hearts of those we meet, and so to call them "Jah" attached to their names is not to say that each of these are God of themselves, rather that our God is ever-present in those folks we meet and know.  In this sense also, I use the title "Jah Rasfafari" for the Emperor as I also call my friend "Jah Faith" not because they are God so much as with God.

When folks then chant "Jah, Rasfafari" it is not necessarily then to "worship" the Emperor, but then to worship God who acts in all our lives at every level. It is to affirm that Jah, the Creator, the Father, was there is Ras Tafari just as he is there with Jah Faith just as he is here with me.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

I think the "Y"-sound in "Yahweh" become "J" because, in German, the letter "J" is pronounced with an "Y"-sound. So, in German, "Jehovah" would be pronounced "Yehovah" (which is pretty close to "Yahweh/Yahveh"). The English probably adopted the German spelling, without taking into account the differences in German pronunciation.

It's not strange for "JAH" to be made part of someone's name. The Hebrews did it all the time: ELI-JAH (Elijah; actually, "Eli-yah" in Hebrew); ISA-JAH (Isaiah; "Yesha-yah" in Hebrew); and so on.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:59:24 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:51 PM »

greetings in that divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I think the "Y"-sound in "Yahweh" become "J" because, in German, the letter "J" is pronounced with an "Y"-sound. So, in German, "Jehovah" would be pronounced "Yehovah" (which is pretty close to "Yahweh/Yahveh"). The English probably adopted the German spelling, without taking into account the differences in German pronunciation.

It's not strange for "JAH" to be made part of someone's name. The Hebrews did it all the time: ELI-JAH (Elijah; actually, "Eli-yah" in Hebrew); ISA-JAH (Isaiah; "Yesha-yah" in Hebrew); and so on.

The German "j" is a bit like an extremely harsh almost glotalized "y" isn't it? So that really the Germans would be attempting a transliteration of the Semitic languages but their own tongues and accents limited them to have a "j"ish sounding "y" and the English who had a more pronounced and long "j" sound would have then in their misreadings really exaggerated so much that it went from a glotalized German "y" to a full on "j" as in "jar"?

Also there is no "j" pronounced in Hebrew, it is always the "y" and interestingly, in Ethiopian Amharic is one of the few, indigenous Semitic "j" sounds as most other Semitic tongues have only the "y" or the "ia" ..

That is an interesting point about the English adopting misunderstandings of Germanic spellings, I had never really taken that into consideration but it is indeed quite assumable. 

Stay Blessed,
habte selassie

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

A great & Holy man beloved by both Pope Kyrollos VI & Pope Shenouda III

Memory eternal

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:14:01 PM »

greetings in that divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The German "j" is a bit like an extremely harsh almost glotalized "y" isn't it?
I think you're thinking of the German "ch", as in "Ich bin gut", where the "ch" sound (at least in southern German dialects, I believe) is a harsh "ch" as in Hebrew or Scottish. The "Y" sound in German, symbolized by the "J" letter, is quite like the English "Y" sound: the German for "yes", "Ja", is pronounced pretty much like "Ya" would be pronounced in English.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »

Bishop Antonious Markos of the Coptic Church speaks about Haile Selassie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdAPw_Q8O7E&feature=share

Selam
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:30:35 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »

A video of HIM (of blessed memory) and Pope Saint Kyrillos VI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujn3vH0k_Hw

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Tags: rastafari HIM Haile Selassie Rasta 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: