OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 09:11:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CCW in Bars and Eateries allowed in my State now  (Read 592 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: July 23, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »

The prayer thread about shooting in one's neighborhood sparked my memory of another thread that went down a path to a few of us discussing CCW in a serious manner within the context of Christianity.

The folks who seemed to have "real" experience from their posts were as I recall were Cognomen, Punch, and of course me.

Ohio recently extended CCW to bars and eateries, if you don't drink any alcohol. Since I don't, I could carry in a bar.

Just seems a bit jarring to consider nowadays.

I used to drink in places where people pretty much openly carried (illegally of course), but that was a long time ago.

Outside the "Christian" aspect of carrying in a bar, do you think allowing carrying in a bar makes sense? Seems like an environment where stupidity happens frequently and thankfully I steer clear of it. But sometimes, it hard to avoid. And you are in a bar with a firearm. Seems a bit dicey given the close proximity of by-standers and the like.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »

I think if you are going to carry in any close in space you need to be VERY cautious.  I have been in a good number of bars and there are NO good lines of fire in there.  In addition, you also have to take into account over-penetration.  We have done tests involving phone books and different calibers (not the best or most scientific, but close enough).  The only caliber I would really trust would be a .38 Special, preferably with expanding bullets.  Haven't tested the .40 or the 9mm yet. 

There are only certain times when I would carry in a bar - many bars are restaurants as well as bars and I usually don't drink, and if I am playing pool.  I generally drink when I play pool because you can't carry anyway, but if I could I would probably just skip the drinking and keep the gun.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:06:17 AM »

I tend to avoid places that would increase the probability of me needing a firearm.  Bars surely fit that bill.  However, the liquor store that I used to frequent had a manager that encouraged people to carry, even if it was against the law to do so concealed.  He had a bad guy's pistol in his face one too many times.  The bartender at the bar next door to me carries a Glock on his hip while he is at work.  Same issue as above.  Concealed carry is illegal in bars in this state.  Open carry is not, at least as I understand the law.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:27:08 AM »

I think if you are going to carry in any close in space you need to be VERY cautious.  I have been in a good number of bars and there are NO good lines of fire in there.  In addition, you also have to take into account over-penetration.  We have done tests involving phone books and different calibers (not the best or most scientific, but close enough).  The only caliber I would really trust would be a .38 Special, preferably with expanding bullets.  Haven't tested the .40 or the 9mm yet. 

There are options.  The Glaser Safety Slug was designed for this purpose.  Best shot out of a revolver, or as the round in the chamber in an autoloader.  They do not feed very well, but they do not penetrate.  Other frangible bullets would also work.  In .40 Short and Weak (S&W), the Winchester Ranger 135 grain load was designed for use by Customs agents in airports and other crowded areas.  Also, keep in mind that Air Marshals use the .357 SIG.  Airplanes do not like bullets, so you may want to see what load the Air Marshals use and get a .357 SIG barrel for that .40.  Whatever you do, don't use the loads that Thomas tested!

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:47 AM »

First off, congrats.  It's always good to have an additional option, whether you use it or not.

Seems like an environment where stupidity happens frequently and thankfully I steer clear of it. But sometimes, it hard to avoid. And you are in a bar with a firearm. Seems a bit dicey given the close proximity of by-standers and the like.

I find it a bit dicey as well.  I don't drink either, so it's been an option for me, but I frequently choose not to.  It really depends on the situation.  Typically, if I carry to a bar, I wish I didn't, and if I don't, I wish I did.  I have no idea if that's due to bad judgment or being an annoyingly neurotic person.

Haven't tested the .40 or the 9mm yet.

They work.  I personally moved from the .40 to 9mm's and .45's (unless I have to carry something else).  As Punch mentioned, the .357 Sig is a hot round.  I'm not a fan of the new gun the FAM's use though; very difficult for quick follow-up shots.  It has increased times for their qualifying courses.   I bought the anti-9mm hype for awhile, but for capacity, ease of use, price, etc. it gets the job done in most situations.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:06:32 PM »

Does the law also include restaurants that serve alcohol, or just drinks-only bars?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
theo philosopher
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:26:02 AM »

The restaurants I get. The bar, I don't get. It just doesn't lend itself to the idea that the patron will be of sound judgment when it comes time for him to use his weapon, or he may misinterpret a situation. I know the law says that so long as the patron isn't drinking, but he's in a bar...

As for testing the .40, if I had my CCW it's what I would carry. I have a .40 Springfield XD snub, less recoil than my old 9mm, but superior firepower and accuracy.

“Wherefore, then, death approaches, gulps down the bait of the body, and is pierced by the hook of the divinity. Then, having tasted of the sinless and life-giving body, it is destroyed and gives up all those whom it had swallowed down of old." - St. John of Damascus
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:45 AM »

If I lived there, the bars would lose my business. I'd be afraid to wind up next to someone who can't hold his liquor. If he doesn't like the song I pick on the jukebox, then- it was nice knowing you!  Lips Sealed (Blam)

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »

If I lived there, the bars would lose my business. I'd be afraid to wind up next to someone who can't hold his liquor. If he doesn't like the song I pick on the jukebox, then- it was nice knowing you!  Lips Sealed (Blam)

News flash - the guys like that are carrying anyway, law or no law.  The law allows decent people a fighting chance when one of these guys does go off his rocker (all too common around here).  Kind of like in my state where "No Guns" signs only apply to those that actually follow the law.  That is why I call these places "kill zones" since the only people with guns are the law breakers.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »

The prayer thread about shooting in one's neighborhood sparked my memory of another thread that went down a path to a few of us discussing CCW in a serious manner within the context of Christianity.

The folks who seemed to have "real" experience from their posts were as I recall were Cognomen, Punch, and of course me.

Ohio recently extended CCW to bars and eateries, if you don't drink any alcohol. Since I don't, I could carry in a bar.

Just seems a bit jarring to consider nowadays.

I used to drink in places where people pretty much openly carried (illegally of course), but that was a long time ago.

Outside the "Christian" aspect of carrying in a bar, do you think allowing carrying in a bar makes sense? Seems like an environment where stupidity happens frequently and thankfully I steer clear of it. But sometimes, it hard to avoid. And you are in a bar with a firearm. Seems a bit dicey given the close proximity of by-standers and the like.

Well, coming from the safest state of the union (must be:we're the only one without CCW  Roll Eyes), and never having touched a gun, let alone firing one, I'd be more interested in what the actual stats are: is there an increase of gun violence in bars?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »

News flash - the guys like that are carrying anyway, law or no law.  The law allows decent people a fighting chance when one of these guys does go off his rocker (all too common around here).  Kind of like in my state where "No Guns" signs only apply to those that actually follow the law.  That is why I call these places "kill zones" since the only people with guns are the law breakers.

If I'm reading this correctly I'm with Punch. A troublemaker drinking in some bar who wants to carry will whether the law allows it or not. This is just for those who'd feel safer with a gun so they can have one. I'm not sure if I see a whole lot of angry, drunken gun fights on the horizon because of this. The guys who do it do it already. Arizona actually dropped their CCW program from what my uncle told me. Now anyone can carry concealed without registration or mandated training. In this day and age that's surprising.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: