OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 01:08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 27244 times) Average Rating: 0
vamrat and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »

This

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »

I've never got around to Pirates!

Recently I've been trying to play old PC games that I never got to either because A) I was too young B) Was never a PC gamer, since I only played on consoles

I just started playing XCOM: UFO Defense, but Pirates! has always been on my radar for sometime now.

Certainly worth it!

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »

I forgot to put Sonic the Hedgehog on my list. Shocked

It should be around 5.

Forgive my sins.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

Oh. Sonic? So you were one of those kids? *turns head slowlly away in condemnation*

Tongue

Only hog I liked was Boss Hog!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:23:25 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:04 PM »

Oh. Sonic? So you were one of those kids? *turns head slowlly away in condemnation*

Tongue

Only hog I liked was Boss Hog!

I love Sonic games. I have my Sonic shirt and hat (and a hat and shoes with Shadow on them). I even have a Shadow-themed bedspread. Lips Sealed

Forgive my sins.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2012, 01:23:38 PM »

Why does this not surprise me?  Undecided
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »

The other day, I beat "The Testament of Sherlock Holmes." Oh boy, was it a good game! I loved it!  laugh

Today I'm playing "The Adventures of Tin Tin." Also, I'm still a big fan of "Carcassonne."

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
A Slice Of Life

Jurisdiction: Uncharted Waters.

« Reply #322 on: November 23, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »

Final Fantasy 7

Age of Empires II

Resident Evil series

And

Mortal Kombat.

Ermac, The thinking mans choice.

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #323 on: November 23, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

Wow, those are some vintage games.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:54:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"Se vogliamo che tutto rimanga come è, bisogna che tutto cambi."
-G.T di Lampedusa

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
A Slice Of Life

« Reply #324 on: November 23, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »

Wow, those are some vintage games.

Yup, I'm afraid Skyrim, Black ops, Fifa and whatever just don't cut it for me these days.. Sure the graphics are nice but the element of having fun has long since gone from the gaming industry, its sadly turned into one big money hungry monster with an appetite to boot.

I seen people on the internet watching footage of RE6 before it was released, it struck me a bit pointless and sad... that people have gotten to a stage where they'd rather sit and watch someone else play a game before it is released than have the experience themselves.... its another nail in the coffin of the ever voeyeristic social media drenched modern age.

choy
Archon

« Reply #325 on: November 23, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »

Just downloaded X-Com from Steam.  I loved the original game when I was in college.  I guess that is the mark that I am old, when my choice of cartoons and video games is something I enjoyed 15-25 years ago  Grin
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2012, 11:37:44 PM »

I got Dishonored. Expecting it to be good as Bethesda games are of the highest quality.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #327 on: November 23, 2012, 11:44:16 PM »

Yup, I'm afraid Skyrim, Black ops, Fifa and whatever just don't cut it for me these days.. Sure the graphics are nice but the element of having fun has long since gone from the gaming industry, its sadly turned into one big money hungry monster with an appetite to boot.

Be careful. This probably all sounds logical to you, but it's a symptom of that most dreaded of diseases: getting old. Pretty soon you'll be complaining about how music these days isn't as meaningful and actors aren't as sophisticated as they were back when you were young. This process will ultimately end with you using slang 40 years out of date and berating kids with stories about how you used to walk to school five miles away through three feet of snow.  police
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2012, 12:01:33 AM »

I'm afraid Skyrim, Black ops, Fifa and whatever just don't cut it for me these days.. Sure the graphics are nice but the element of having fun has long since gone from the gaming industry, its sadly turned into one big money hungry monster with an appetite to boot.

I'm sorry. I think your taste for gaming is very sub-par.

A Slice Of Life

« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »

Be careful. This probably all sounds logical to you, but it's a symptom of that most dreaded of diseases: getting old. Pretty soon you'll be complaining about how music these days isn't as meaningful and actors aren't as sophisticated as they were back when you were young. This process will ultimately end with you using slang 40 years out of date and berating kids with stories about how you used to walk to school five miles away through three feet of snow.  police

Asteriktos,

I do not doubt your wisdom for a minute, as i must admit I've been feeling this way since the turn of the millennium...Games, Music, Films you name it, its all lost a certain shine about it.

I think it was the young woman Amy MacDonald who saved me from Musical oblivion but everything else is just a remix of something before. The countless horrors and films from the 80's and 90's that have been remade shows a distinct lack of imagination. Skinny jeans, lady Gaga, reality tv and social media '' PASS ''

So i think we can safely say i have the getting old disease. Not to worry though life has a natural forward momentum about it, so bring it on.  laugh
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:05:54 AM by A Slice Of Life » Logged

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #330 on: November 25, 2012, 02:40:36 PM »

Anyone been playing Hitman Absolution? Its pretty nice.

-G.T di Lampedusa

-Byron
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

I got Dishonored. Expecting it to be good as Bethesda games are of the highest quality.

Well I haven't been able to play it much because my brother and mom have been using the TV 24/7 recently (literally - I came downstairs last night and they were sleeping in front of it) and they physically attack me if I try to use it.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2012, 05:28:36 PM »

I am near the end of the game and it has been a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, its a good enough game on its own, but it is nothing like Hitman is supposed to be. I loved the openness of Blood Money and Contracts. You were given several targets/tasks and were free to complete them in any order you so choose (and disguises were actually useful). Absolution made the game into some linear, Splinter Cell clone where 90% of the objectives involved finding an exit or evading the police. Way too much stealth involved (earlier Hitman games were more about blending in with the environment/NPCs, not climbing through air ducts).

"Hello 47, your target is a large wooden door with a metal handle".

If you have never played Blood Money, check it out. The developers rectified the problems of the earlier games and made a masterpiece. Don't know what they were thinking with this most recent installment.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #333 on: November 25, 2012, 05:56:04 PM »

I didn't like Halo 4's story at all.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #334 on: November 25, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »

Crusader Kings II. Runs slow on my machine (although everything does atm; I think I need to do some maintenance), but still an absolute blast. Don't play Spanish, though, unless you like to name your own children or want to play 400 straight years of various Kings Alfonso.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »

I am near the end of the game and it has been a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, its a good enough game on its own, but it is nothing like Hitman is supposed to be. I loved the openness of Blood Money and Contracts. You were given several targets/tasks and were free to complete them in any order you so choose (and disguises were actually useful). Absolution made the game into some linear, Splinter Cell clone where 90% of the objectives involved finding an exit or evading the police. Way too much stealth involved (earlier Hitman games were more about blending in with the environment/NPCs, not climbing through air ducts).

"Hello 47, your target is a large wooden door with a metal handle".

If you have never played Blood Money, check it out. The developers rectified the problems of the earlier games and made a masterpiece. Don't know what they were thinking with this most recent installment.

I always liked Hitman 2: Silent Assasin.

-G.T di Lampedusa

-Byron
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2012, 05:24:47 PM »

The Walking Dead.  Finished the last episode of the season.  Horrible QA/customer service during the episode releases, awful coding, but a solid and emotionally wrenching story and voice acting.  Has anyone taken it through to the end?
choy
Archon

« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

I am so hooked on XCom: Enemy Unknown.  It is very faithful to the original, although there are certain elements from the original I miss.  I wish they just did a straight port of the original.  Although in today's world of gamers with instant gratification (why else would things that can be unlocked by completing things in a game be profitable as a "pay-to-unlock" feature?), I can understand why they streamlined the game and removed a lot of the micro-management aspects of the game.  Although I wish they still kept the original way of building a base (ie, you can build many bases around the world) including building defenses for your base and have aliens actually attack your base.

The new game is great, but still pales in comparisson to the original which was trully a deep game.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »

There is a game for X Box that's based on the show "NCIS." I got it two days ago, and so far I've earned about 20 achievements. It's not the toughest game I've ever played. I like mysteries, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
macclesfieldfan1990
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #339 on: November 26, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »

The Legend of Spyro, Dragon's Dogma, Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge, FIFA 13, and NCAA Football 13.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #340 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »

Cyrillic where do you find all the time?

I would usually laugh at people in this thread but you are younger, writing 93k word treatises on Byzantium, arguing in the Hague, arm wrestling women, partying it up, and speaking Dutch all at the same time.

Could you explain to me something about time management, especially if you feel every moment is a soul crushing burden?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:41:34 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #341 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »

Cyrillic where do you find all the time?

I would usually laugh at people in this thread but you are younger, writing 93k word treatises on Byzantium, arguing in the Hague, arm wrestling women, partying it up, and speaking Dutch all at the same time.

Could you explain to me something about time management, especially if you feel every moment is a soul crushing burden?

Thanks.

Haven't you seen how thin he (and all Dutchmen0 is (are)?  Quite obviously he bends the space time continuum around him to match his will.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #342 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »

I'd be more interested if he had a girlfriend too and how he manages his time.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:17 AM »

In a little more than 24 hours I will be playing Baldur's Gate : Enhanced Edition. Why in the world did they have to release an overhaul of the greatest game of all time so close to finals? This does not bode well.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #344 on: November 27, 2012, 01:41:29 AM »

I would usually laugh at people in this thread

You aren't too busy playing trivia in lesbian bars? Cool
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #345 on: November 27, 2012, 03:09:27 AM »

Why in the world did they have to release an overhaul of the greatest game of all time so close to finals? This does not bode well.

+1

This game needs nothing.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #346 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17:50 AM »

What should a company do after years of work, oodles of cash spent, months of build up, and finally releasing a new console? Possibly redesign and rerelease their old console a month later. Wha...?  Huh Please let this be fake...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:20:32 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #347 on: November 27, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »

What should a company do after years of work, oodles of cash spent, months of build up, and finally releasing a new console? Possibly redesign and rerelease their old console a month later.

And how iCrap is introduced?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #348 on: November 28, 2012, 12:41:19 AM »

Apparently the Wii redesign is legit, but it may be limited.

In other news, Microsoft sold 750,000 of the Xbox360 last week. Nintendo sold 400,000 of the WiiU.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:56 AM »

By the way, if anyone has finished the Walking Dead (or if any of you do not plan on playing it and so would not mind extreme spoilers), I've made a video of the final emotionally wrenching scene with my own background musical rendition: nai music concluded with Byzantine chant.  (Yeah, I'm something of a softie.  Don't blame an Arab.)  The heightened emotional tone likely wouldn't make much sense and seem over the top if you've not played through the entire game as it works its way through and invests emotions in the growing parental relationship between the protagonist and the girl who becomes his ward, both of whom have been professionally and superbly voice-acted throughout.  If you have played it through and know what I'm talking about, then I hope it does some justice to the scene without tipping the scales much over to the side of melodrama (1:42 to 1:52 was unavoidable; apologies there).  I think I was lucky in that much musical phrasing in the recording seems to follow well with the lines of alternating dialogue.  A rating or comment would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_oIKuZqpg
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:29:49 AM by SamB » Logged
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #350 on: November 28, 2012, 05:51:59 AM »

I have a question about that game, if you happen to know. There is a Walking Dead game set to be released at the end of December... do you know if that is just a collection of the 5 parts that were downloadable, or if it's an entirely new/different game?
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #351 on: November 28, 2012, 06:06:11 AM »

There is a second season being made, but that's not until next year.  The only thing before then I can imagine being done is Telltale preparing a CD containing all the episodes for PC players like myself, (it makes sense as that would make it a Christmas holiday release), badly needed by the way since with TWD and for the first time, they've stopped making available to us as individual downloads separate install files for each episode to keep on our computers. (We were forced to use their awfully bugged, badly coded, save-game demolishing download system--the inverse relationship between the quality of the game's content and that of its coding vis a vis savegames, facilitation of downloads and installations, and choice continuation--add to that customer service, communication, and QA--was phenomenal.)

But perhaps you've heard something I've not?  Where did you get the information?

By the way, have you played it yet, Asterikos?  I'd recommend the PC if not, simply because you have the ability to back up your save games in case anything happens.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:13:06 AM by SamB » Logged
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #352 on: November 28, 2012, 06:29:15 AM »

I've not played it yet, but I plan on getting it. I'll make sure my PC can handle it and go from there  Cool  Regarding the game I was speaking of, apparently it's perhaps slated for 2013, but here's the gamespot page for it.
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #353 on: November 28, 2012, 07:27:46 AM »

Ah.  No, that's an FPS game.  Telltale's is entirely different: story-driven drama relying mostly on dialogue choices, but they too are planning a 2013 release for the second season of their game.

I guess you'll have to save that video link for watching once you've finished the entire thing, then.  My advice for trouble-free gameplay: download all the episodes before playing anything (so that the patches are all applied and the risk for savegame quirks are minimised), then after a playthrough of each episode, back up your save games along with the very critical prefs.prof file.  Best of luck.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #354 on: December 06, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »

Finished BG and BG II, now ID but it's boring in comparison to them (especially BG I which seems to be most nuanced game I've ever played).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Nicene
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #355 on: December 06, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »

Baulders gate and Icewind dale?

Thank you.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #356 on: December 06, 2012, 03:17:11 PM »

Ah.  No, that's an FPS game.  Telltale's is entirely different: story-driven drama relying mostly on dialogue choices, but they too are planning a 2013 release for the second season of their game.

I guess you'll have to save that video link for watching once you've finished the entire thing, then.  My advice for trouble-free gameplay: download all the episodes before playing anything (so that the patches are all applied and the risk for savegame quirks are minimised), then after a playthrough of each episode, back up your save games along with the very critical prefs.prof file.  Best of luck.

My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, and I thank you!
Nephi
Archon

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #357 on: December 06, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »

Finished BG and BG II, now ID but it's boring in comparison to them (especially BG I which seems to be most nuanced game I've ever played).

By ID do you mean Icewind Dale? If so, then I agree. While I enjoy a good hack-and-slash it just can't compete with the BG series.

If you haven't already, give Planescape: Torment a try next if you want something more like BG.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
Nicene
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #358 on: December 06, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »

The Second icewind dale is much better than the first, reccomend it over the first any day.

Thank you.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2012, 04:00:56 PM »

If you haven't already, give Planescape: Torment a try next if you want something more like BG.

It's on the list after ID II.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: