Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 132176 times)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #1531 on: May 31, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
What Remains of Edith Finch
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1532 on: May 31, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »
40 of the Most Ridiculous Examples of Video Game Logic

That Age of Empires II one took me back to the days of my (late) youth.
"The bed is too short to stretch out on, the blanket too narrow to wrap around you." (Isa. 28:20)

"For because they wronged the simple, they shall be slain; and an inquisition shall ruin the ungodly." (Prov. 1:32 LXX)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1533 on: June 09, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
Uncharted 4

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1534 on: June 15, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »
The Elder Scrolls Online expansion, Morrowind. It's good so far.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1535 on: June 19, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »

Watched a Let's Player in his mid-20s play Super Mario World for the first time in his life. Pretty painful to see, but hard to look away.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1536 on: June 19, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
spectating, but...
getting a very intermittent narrative tour of NieR:Automata
just finished episode 3 of Telltale's Batman

A little Gwent and Hearthstone

"Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that."  ~me

Taking a hiatus.  Pray for me, a sinner.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1537 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Syberia 3.

Offline ilyazhito

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1538 on: June 22, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »
What is that game?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1539 on: June 22, 2017, 07:28:30 PM »
A game about a woman who searches a Russia-like place for an army of robots. :)
It's the third in a series by designer Benoit Sokal.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1540 on: July 19, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »
Lego Worlds

Pros:
Lego minifigs, sets, bricks, etc. = great nostalgia
Using automobiles, boats, mounts, jetpack, & grappling hook can be fun
Constructing things is fun, sometimes, kinda
Better than Minecraft
Decent amount of content for a game they released at $30

Cons:
Starts to get boring after a couple hours
Affected narration gets old fast
Limited (size) maps
Lack of info and instruction
Controls can be very wonky and difficult to use as intended (I have it on PS4 & I've heard it's even worse on PC)
Not as good as Dragon Quest: Builders
Supposed to be an exploration-based game, but that part of the game just isn't enjoyable enough

6.5/10
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:33:16 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1541 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »

"Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator is a game where you play as a Dad and your goal is to meet and romance other hot Dads."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #1542 on: July 20, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »

"Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator is a game where you play as a Dad and your goal is to meet and romance other hot Dads."

I see Sr. Vassa has found a new sponsor.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1543 on: July 29, 2017, 03:01:42 AM »
Anyone know where I can get a DOS game called (I think) 'Nags'? It was a freeware/shareware thing I played in the early 90s (don't know when it was made) where you'd place bets and then watch 'horses' race across the screen. I'd love to play it again some time just for nostalgia, but haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:02:03 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #1544 on: July 29, 2017, 03:13:32 AM »
Anyone know where I can get a DOS game called (I think) 'Nags'? It was a freeware/shareware thing I played in the early 90s (don't know when it was made) where you'd place bets and then watch 'horses' race across the screen. I'd love to play it again some time just for nostalgia, but haven't seen it.

Google is your friend. There seems to be some sites from where it can be downloaded. No idea though whether it's a good idea as there might be spyware etc.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:15:44 AM by Alpo »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1545 on: July 29, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »
Thanks :) I could have swore I searched on some of the individual sites it's pointing towards. I may have to use this "Google" thing more!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1546 on: August 05, 2017, 12:55:32 AM »
Playing Dragon Quest 8 on the New 2DS. I've watched a Let's Play of the game a couple times over the last few years, but I haven't played it since the PS2 days (I had no interest in playing the mobile version since they removed the voice acting and symphonic music from it). It feels... pretty much the same as it did back then. It's not a game that gets hurt a lot by being on a much smaller screen. Every once in a while the music and voice acting sound thin or tinny but in general it's fine. They seem to have increased the gold and xp you get from battles, which helps move things along. The action is on the top screen and info/map on the bottom, which works well in most situations. The menu system and inventory management is, in traditional Dragon Quest fashion, convoluted and frustrating at times. Overall still a great JRPG and a lot of fun if you're ok with turn-based battles and simplistic stories.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1547 on: August 05, 2017, 01:18:27 PM »
Spectated various chunks of Yakuza 0.

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
« Reply #1548 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »
Playing Dragon Quest 8 on the New 2DS. I've watched a Let's Play of the game a couple times over the last few years, but I haven't played it since the PS2 days (I had no interest in playing the mobile version since they removed the voice acting and symphonic music from it). It feels... pretty much the same as it did back then. It's not a game that gets hurt a lot by being on a much smaller screen. Every once in a while the music and voice acting sound thin or tinny but in general it's fine. They seem to have increased the gold and xp you get from battles, which helps move things along. The action is on the top screen and info/map on the bottom, which works well in most situations. The menu system and inventory management is, in traditional Dragon Quest fashion, convoluted and frustrating at times. Overall still a great JRPG and a lot of fun if you're ok with turn-based battles and simplistic stories.
Nice.  My son just traded in a console + games to get a new 2DS; I'll have to tell him about this one.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1549 on: August 07, 2017, 11:29:21 PM »
Nice.  My son just traded in a console + games to get a new 2DS; I'll have to tell him about this one.

+1

The hinge on the new 2ds seems a bit weak, or at least on mine was, but otherwise has been enjoyable :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1550 on: August 10, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »
Here you go, Nothing, a card game just for you. However, this kickstarter is gonna end in less than 24 hours and doesn't have nearly enough funding, so get on it if you want this to see the light of day (yo).

Trading Rappers...The Dopest Card Game Ever 

8)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #1551 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:29 AM »
Galactic Civilizations III
God bless!

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1552 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »
Began a tour of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice last night.   :o

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #1553 on: August 16, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »
Going back to Conan:Exiles now, since the new biome is apparently VERY well received.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1554 on: August 19, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »
Fire Emblem Awakening

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1555 on: August 22, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »

What do you think of it?

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1556 on: August 22, 2017, 10:33:46 AM »
An Oculus Rift is arriving today.  I may be a veritable widow soon.   :laugh:

We've had the opportunity to take one for a spin, and I will say that videos of what people are seeing is so not what you actually see/experience.  It's pretty incredible technology.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1557 on: August 26, 2017, 09:18:43 PM »
Fire Emblem Awakening

I must be missing something, because everyone seems to love this game, but after 20 hours playing it it has seemed quite boring. Though the only other Fire Emblem game I played was on the Gamecube, and I remember disliking that one as well, so maybe this series just isn't for me.

Re: VR, I'd love to try it, but haven't had the chance yet. I know a lot of people knock Bethesda doing Fallout and Skyrim in VR, but that's one of the things I'm waiting on to see how it turns out.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1558 on: August 26, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »

What do you think of it?

Sorry, I missed this until just now; blame inefficient board perusal skills.  :D  I've only seen the intro so far, BUT it looked incredibly good, and like it would be a creepy bittersweet experience; it's a little intimidating, but I'm trusting my curator.

The VR is crazy.  I'll want to put stuff down on a table that isn't actually there, because my brain tells me it is there.  And swinging bridges over forever-deep ravines...yeah no thanks.  Or maybe I'm just really impressionable.   8)  Skyrim would be pretty cool to see in VR; it's a cozy game.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1559 on: August 30, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »

What do you think of it?

Sorry, I missed this until just now; blame inefficient board perusal skills.  :D  I've only seen the intro so far, BUT it looked incredibly good, and like it would be a creepy bittersweet experience; it's a little intimidating, but I'm trusting my curator.

The VR is crazy.  I'll want to put stuff down on a table that isn't actually there, because my brain tells me it is there.  And swinging bridges over forever-deep ravines...yeah no thanks.  Or maybe I'm just really impressionable.   8)  Skyrim would be pretty cool to see in VR; it's a cozy game.

+1  I watched the first ~10 minutes of Hellblade, and it seemed like a game some would have to be in a certain mood for, like it was kind of a depressing (or oppressive) atmosphere. Would like to try it at some point though.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1560 on: August 30, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
I can't believe Bethesda is doing paid horse armor dlc again. Seriously? And I don't buy for a second that it's meant as self-deprecating humor. If it was that they'd be giving it away for free, not charging whatever absurd amount they are ($2.50? $3?)  Apparently there's a ton of other problems with it as well. Guess when you take a look at the money GTAV online, Minecraft, etc. are ringing out of their players, they gotta try to get in on that somehow.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:05:29 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1561 on: September 04, 2017, 01:07:58 AM »
Just downloaded "What Remains of Edith Finch." It's a really weird adventure game. You have to search a house and find out what happened to the title character. Filled with bizarre visions.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #1562 on: September 05, 2017, 12:31:02 AM »
Microsoft Minesweeper. It's a fun excersize.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:31:23 AM by mcarmichael »
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Physician, heal thyself." - Ancient proverb

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1563 on: September 09, 2017, 10:57:15 PM »
There's a rumor that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 might be 4x the size of Witcher 3 (+DLCs). I hope not...

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1564 on: September 16, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »
"We Become What We Behold"  I didn't want to cooperate with it.  :(

Getting back into Hearthstone and Terraria a bit.

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #1565 on: September 16, 2017, 07:46:47 PM »
There's a rumor that the world of Cyberpunk 2077 might be 4x the size of Witcher 3 (+DLCs). I hope not...
Whoa I didn't know the same devs of W3 are making that game, awesome.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1566 on: September 20, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »
Guess I'm not playing either Skyrim or Fallout 4 in VR. I don't have any VR equipment at this point, but I do have the base hardware to make either PSVR or VIVE work, so buying a bit more equipment was just a matter of having games worth playing. From early reports it sounds like Skyrim and F4 just aren't going to be all that enticing though. Star Trek is multiplayer (mostly) which doesn't suit me, and the games which I've heard are decent (Resident Evil, Doom) just aren't my type of game. Besides that, I have no idea whether I'd be among those who get sick from VR. Not that I was eager to throw money at Bethesda anyway, after their Creation Club nonsense this month. I can wait till 2020 when Elder Scrolls 6 comes out...  8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:39:30 AM by Asteriktos »

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. Gregory Palamas, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #1567 on: September 22, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »
Alright my fellow nerds, how is Divinity: Original Sin 2, worth the hype? Note I don't play RPGs or MMOs, but I'm curious on how much freedom there is in the game.
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1568 on: September 22, 2017, 02:28:55 PM »
Alright my fellow nerds, how is Divinity: Original Sin 2, worth the hype? Note I don't play RPGs or MMOs, but I'm curious on how much freedom there is in the game.

I'm not sure, though I've been listening on and off to the CohhCarnage playthrough of it on Twitch, so that might be something worth watching to get an idea about it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1569 on: September 23, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
The Horizon: Zero Dawn DLC is apparently $20. Gonna be quite the bummer if it doesn't have some significant meat to it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1570 on: September 27, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »
I completely missed all the stuff that went on with the Sons of Kojima, until I got caught up on it last night. They and the snort burnell channels were just too vindictive and manipulative to subscribe to (or even care about for the most part), but I found the drama with them and DSP hard to completely ignore. Was kinda strange the way it all came tumbling down though.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1571 on: September 29, 2017, 08:51:42 PM »
Forgot to pick up my copy of FIFA 18 today. I'll go tomorrow when I get up.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1572 on: September 30, 2017, 04:07:12 PM »
And here it is. About to take it home and test it out.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fJKPC

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1573 on: October 03, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Red Dead Redemption 2 Trailer: RAGE Engine Tech Upgrades Analysed!

"rounded doorknobs" definitely should become a meme

I wasn't a huge fan of the first Red Dead Redemption (I admit my heresy), but this is looking pretty good.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the irregardless one
« Reply #1574 on: October 11, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »
NP: Dragon Quest IV (2DS)

Wasn't sure if I'd ever like the more painterly aesthetic (I had previously only played the original NES version), but after a dozen hours playing I don't even notice it now.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:44:59 PM by Asteriktos »