Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 205936 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #945 on: January 28, 2014, 12:36:17 AM »
I've been replaying a couple old games (again).  On the PS3 I'm just now getting around to a lot of the added content for Skyrim. I also have been playing some Civ IV here and there. Just won a space race earlier tonight. Those sneaky Romans attacked me like 5 turns before I launched my spaceship, but I managed to survive, probably mainly due to several other civs declaring war on them shortly after they declared war on me.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #946 on: February 03, 2014, 02:40:55 AM »
I've had Rome: Total War for years, but I was already heavy into Medieval II when I first bought it so I never gave it a fair try. I just got it free for Steam recently and decided to give it a go again, and I've had a good deal of vanilla fun.

Deciding on whether or not to continue this game to conquer the world for Rome. 8)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 02:41:31 AM by Nephi »

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #947 on: February 03, 2014, 02:55:42 AM »
The Last of Us, FF V
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #948 on: February 03, 2014, 05:55:37 AM »
When will someone, just one, start growing up here on this forum and play NFS Rivals with me? :(:(:(
“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #949 on: February 03, 2014, 06:33:33 AM »
My roommate and I just spent the last few hours in a multiplayer game of Crusader Kings 2. I'm surprised how well he's taken to it after he abandoned Europa Universalis IV because he thought it too complicated.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #950 on: February 19, 2014, 11:45:53 PM »
Does TwitchPlaysPokemon count? Well, it should.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #951 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:01 AM »
Does TwitchPlaysPokemon count? Well, it should.

My students love it. It is pretty hilarious.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #952 on: February 21, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »
Has anyone else played the Rome Total Realism mod for RTW?  I have been tooling around with it.  Not bad at all.  And the Egyptians are not a millenium out of date...lol!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #953 on: February 22, 2014, 01:26:04 AM »
Started playing War Thunder. It's a free-to-play world war II airplane fighter. Quite realistic and fun.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 01:30:48 AM by IoanC »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #954 on: February 22, 2014, 03:09:02 AM »
Started playing War Thunder. It's a free-to-play world war II airplane fighter. Quite realistic and fun.

I play that too

but they recently made the grind much much longer i am glad i am not a new player... or else i would not play lol
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #955 on: February 22, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
Got a chance to play the elder scrolls beta recently.

Sigh...
Thank you.

Offline WeldeMikael

• High Elder
« Reply #956 on: February 22, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »
Has anyone else played the Rome Total Realism mod for RTW?  I have been tooling around with it.  Not bad at all.  And the Egyptians are not a millenium out of date...lol!

I suggest you play Roma Surrectum 2 (mod). Best one for RTW.

Offline ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #957 on: February 27, 2014, 01:48:12 AM »
I've been playing "Cthulhu Saves the World" on and off. Pretty funny game.

However, I recently made the decision to return to WoW. I'm having a great time. My fiance, however, is not ecstatic.
Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #958 on: February 27, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
Got a chance to play the elder scrolls beta recently.

Sigh...
I got my 4th beta invite. I love the game. Already bought the imperial edition.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #959 on: February 27, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
I'm on the beta session of ESO too! Can't wait for Friday. :)

Just recently, I got a set of old Sherlock Holmes mystery games for the PC. Started to play 'The Mystery of the Mummy.' It's fun.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #960 on: February 27, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »

Just recently, I got a set of old Sherlock Holmes mystery games for the PC. Started to play 'The Mystery of the Mummy.' It's fun.

Have you reached the rotating room yet? I can't figure that one out.
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #961 on: February 27, 2014, 10:49:35 AM »

No, I only just started. I'm in the first room in the museum, with the sarcophagi.  :) Looking forward to a lot of good puzzles!

Offline Ansgar

• Archon
  • Keep your mind in hell and do not despair
« Reply #962 on: February 27, 2014, 10:51:27 AM »

No, I only just started. I'm in the first room in the museum, with the sarcophagi.  :) Looking forward to a lot of good puzzles!

They are good. I just can't figure that one out.  :P
Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #963 on: February 27, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
I see nothing wrong with sneaking a peek at a walkthrough. Games are to be enjoyed, and I've been known to use a little extra help in order to complete a tough process.

;)

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcSs/SHMysteryMummy.htm

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #964 on: February 27, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »

Hey biro, Im playing Daggerfall, if you are too, hunt me down. My u/n is primuspilushb

PP
Gregory the Great

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #965 on: February 27, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »
I see nothing wrong with sneaking a peek at a walkthrough.

It's like asking a friend for help in a tough spot. It's just that said friend happens to know everything about the game.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #966 on: February 27, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
Did any of you guys ever play Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy?

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #967 on: February 27, 2014, 09:45:40 PM »

I'll be playing the Friday beta, too. I'm really not big on MMOs, but with graduation looming a few betas will look good on my resume.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Ουρουγουανός
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #968 on: February 27, 2014, 09:51:33 PM »
Count me in as well. I missed the last beta session but I figure I'll take this one out for a spin.
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #969 on: March 05, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
Just got an iPad and am exploring a lot of new mobile games. I've played a few roguelikes (Dungelot, 100 Rogues) and also the RTS Auralux, the psychedelic flight sim Melodive, and this game Primal Flame where you swipe around a match trying not to be eaten by evil flowers.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #970 on: March 05, 2014, 04:45:15 PM »
Just got an iPad and am exploring a lot of new mobile games. I've played a few roguelikes (Dungelot, 100 Rogues) and also the RTS Auralux, the psychedelic flight sim Melodive, and this game Primal Flame where you swipe around a match trying not to be eaten by evil flowers.

Dude, I was given an iPad sorta against my will, let me know what I should do with it. Really, I finally made peace with the Kindle app with a few tweaks.

But it inhabits a zone which makes little sense between my computer and phone.

So if you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

We can take this elsewhere if people care about the derail, but I am going to see if I can't get it working with a networked drive to use its Airplay features as a media controller. That's about all I got.

Spelltower. But who I want to play with has an Android phone and they won't pair. Oh well.

I tried some games for it, but really my 3DS XL demolishes it. Maybe it has a decent app for playing Go? Been thinking about picking that back up.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #971 on: March 05, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »

Dude, I was given an iPad sorta against my will, let me know what I should do with it. Really, I finally made peace with the Kindle app with a few tweaks.

We can take this elsewhere if people care about the derail, but I am going to see if I can't get it working with a networked drive to use its Airplay features as a media controller. That's about all I got.

Spelltower. But who I want to play with has an Android phone and they won't pair. Oh well.

I tried some games for it, but really my 3DS XL demolishes it. Maybe it has a decent app for playing Go? Been thinking about picking that back up.

The main reason I got the iPad was for my work, where it actually makes sense. As a gaming platform, I actually am really enjoying it for all the retro or retro-style games which are available on the app store, as well as the weirder experimental stuff which makes the most of the touch screen. How is Spelltower? I've been looking at more social games.

Re: Go, I haven't played it in a while- last I played, I was roughly 15 kyu on the Kiseido Go server, which I'm told is fairly accurate by real-world standards. I couldn't seem to progress to a higher skill level and was a bit frustrated. But I'd love to start playing that again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:02:03 PM by Iconodule »
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #972 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »

The main reason I got the iPad was for my work, where it actually makes sense. As a gaming platform, I actually am really enjoying it for all the retro or retro-style games which are available on the app store, as well as the weirder experimental stuff which makes the most of the touch screen. How is Spelltower? I've been looking at more social games.

Re: Go, I haven't played it in a while- last I played, I was roughly 15 kyu on the Kiseido Go server, which I'm told is fairly accurate by real-world standards. I couldn't seem to progress to a higher skill level and was a bit frustrated. But I'd love to start playing that again.

Do you like so called German style board games? There have been some attempts to port them over to the iOS to play via the device, network, and internet. Since I don't do facebook and all that, I haven't gotten into them, but there are a few look promising:

http://videogamegeek.com/iphone

I dunno, the iOS games have shown a lotta flash to me but that is it, no substance or staying power. I haven't tried many, cause I am not paying for anything I can't demo. In terms of retro gaming, if I want to go that route, there is the Wii and the 3DS.

Can you list what you have liked?

Spelltower is OK, but like I said I can't pair it with my would be partner due to the fact they are using Android and it sounds like there are problems playing it even with other iOS devices. The 3DS pairs trivially and excellently and would be awesome in Japan I guess. I might get carted off hanging around playgrounds hoping to hook up with school children.

There are some iOS clients for the various Go servers. I might have to revisit that hobby. The iPad would be a method of developing an entire method of Go instruction. On my KoreanTV channel or whatever I get through AppleTV, there are like 3 subchannels devoted to Go matches and instructions. Pay content only.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #973 on: March 05, 2014, 06:33:05 PM »

I dunno, the iOS games have shown a lotta flash to me but that is it, no substance or staying power. I haven't tried many, cause I am not paying for anything I can't demo. In terms of retro gaming, if I want to go that route, there is the Wii and the 3DS.

Most of the good stuff I've played has either been free or $.99. Though there are some "free" games that demand money for the game to be enjoyable- I avoid those.

A list of stuff... I don't know if I've gone far enough to feel comfortable putting out a list. I really enjoy the roguelike games I've played.

I also really like Pakkuman's Defense which is a combination of Pac Man and tower defense games. You can play it free online here: http://tametick.com/pd/ I notice a lot of indie developers coming out with these games that build on old school concepts in interesting, original ways.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #974 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:53 PM »

Most of the good stuff I've played has either been free or $.99. Though there are some "free" games that demand money for the game to be enjoyable- I avoid those.

A list of stuff... I don't know if I've gone far enough to feel comfortable putting out a list. I really enjoy the roguelike games I've played.

I also really like Pakkuman's Defense which is a combination of Pac Man and tower defense games. You can play it free online here: http://tametick.com/pd/ I notice a lot of indie developers coming out with these games that build on old school concepts in interesting, original ways.

Pardon the stupid, but what is a "roguelike" game?

And forget anything that has ads. You have to be kidding me. I can't stand ads. It blows my mind whenever I use someone else's phone or computer by how monetized everything is.

If they manage to break adblock, I am done with the internet. So yes, people there is hope outside my death for you yet.

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #975 on: March 05, 2014, 08:35:57 PM »
Anyone else here excited about this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQA7SmHZaII

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #976 on: March 06, 2014, 12:16:05 PM »

Basically, they involve roaming around randomly generated terrain (usually dungeons) killing monsters and collecting items until your likely or inevitable death, after which you have to start a new game. There may or may not be a central quest / endpoint to the game.

And forget anything that has ads. You have to be kidding me. I can't stand ads. It blows my mind whenever I use someone else's phone or computer by how monetized everything is.

I was thinking more about games that pester you for in-app purchases, without which the game is nigh unplayable. A good example is the Dungeon Keeper port which is a total disgrace.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #977 on: March 08, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #978 on: March 10, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »
Anyone else here excited about this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQA7SmHZaII
Might be another failed Alien game....I hope Im wrong.

PP
Gregory the Great

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #979 on: March 10, 2014, 02:54:20 PM »

Basically, they involve roaming around randomly generated terrain (usually dungeons) killing monsters and collecting items until your likely or inevitable death, after which you have to start a new game. There may or may not be a central quest / endpoint to the game.

I have to say that I haven't enjoyed roguelikes on iOS/Android too much. PC ones, even simpler ones, just end up being more enjoyable for some reason.

A good example is the Dungeon Keeper port which is a total disgrace.

Absolutely a disgrace. Having loved the Dungeon Keeper games for years, I was excited to see Dungeon Keeper released since another game I liked, Majesty, had a decent iOS/Android port. Needless to say that excitement died quickly. Nerd3 did a good summary of how poor the in-app purchases are in Dungeon Keeper, here (warning: language).

Intentionally making a game less fun just so players have to pay to make it as fun as it should've been originally is just a horrendous practice that I hope will eventually die out.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #980 on: March 10, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis. I got stuck during the Mystery of the Mummy and decided to just skip to another game. I'll go back to the other game later. :)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #981 on: March 15, 2014, 12:00:59 AM »
Gonna try to start up a new game of GTAV and hopefully get through it without getting bored. When are they going to release some new content for the main (non-online) game... or have they done so and I just didn't notice?

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #982 on: April 12, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »
Civilization:Beyond Earth

This gon be great...

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #983 on: April 12, 2014, 02:13:59 PM »
Civilization:Beyond Earth

This gon be great...

Pretty much a new Alpha Centauri? Awesome.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #984 on: April 12, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will take humanity to space this fall

This fall on Linux, Mac and Windows PC for $49.99, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will take the strategy game beyond the confines of its home turf to an alien world that players will colonize and where they will forge a new future of humanity.

Polygon spoke with four of the upcoming game's developers to learn about the game, the challenges a new venture like this poses for those creating it and how escaping Earth's gravitational pull will change the long running series...

Offline ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #985 on: April 13, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »
Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #986 on: April 15, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »
Heroes of Might and Magic III
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #987 on: April 16, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »
Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will take humanity to space this fall

This fall on Linux, Mac and Windows PC for $49.99, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will take the strategy game beyond the confines of its home turf to an alien world that players will colonize and where they will forge a new future of humanity.

Polygon spoke with four of the upcoming game's developers to learn about the game, the challenges a new venture like this poses for those creating it and how escaping Earth's gravitational pull will change the long running series...

Hey!  It's Alpha Centauri II!
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #988 on: April 16, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
Company of Heroes II.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #989 on: April 23, 2014, 03:21:27 AM »
New Dragon Age content was released. Maybe I'm just going crazy here, but some of those graphics look like they're a half dozen years old; I was sort of expecting very nice looking, next-gen looking stuff. Not that I have (or will have any time soon) a next gen console, and I'll probabky pre-order this... I guess I just had higher expectations.