Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 136089 times)

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #900 on: January 02, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
Alright, you all got me interested.  I got CK2 last night and am trying desperately to make head or tails of it.  I started out last night playing that Serbian county that is the son of the Duke.  (I read that playing counties is a good way to start off learning.)  Will probably try again tonight but using Rascia as a starting place as it is a Serbian county not part of the main state, yet not related, so I can hopefully push a claim into the main body at some point.

Hello,

The serbs, it is almost pointless to play unless you love serbia x1000

The Byzantines will simply take you out as the Serbian lands are De Jure Byzantine Empire (as you can see in the icon to click on bottom right, of de jure empires), this means the Byzantines have a casus belli (cb) to declare war for one county per war. you can still become a serbian vassal of the Byzantines, but remember the Emperor of Byzantines has a free revoke Duke title ability which incurs no tyranny modifier on the emperor.

Another thing, playing as a count is much harder after this new patch, as levies are reduced. Generally when playing a count you will need either an ally or mercenaries to take another county. there are some cheap mercenaries on bottom of mercenary tab usually (just dont click the boat one on accident). I would instead recommend playing a duke or higher if you are new. Another method of expansion is by marriage, but generally as a count you will only be able to marry dukes and their heirs mostly.

IReland used to be called "tutorial Island" since generally you are left alone from the rest of the world, as long as you play on the 1066 start date. but again levies are reduced, so it would be hard to take any places without allying with other ireland counts or to use mercenaries. You can expand via marriage well in that location as well

I will tell you how to expand by marriage.

Have your heir, or any son of yours, and go to their profile. click the two rings next to their picture to look for potential marriages or betrothals. If you marry your male son to a female duke, or king, or count, or any such thing in a regular marriage, their children will be of your dynasty. If it is your heir you will inherit those lands as well.

For example, you are Emperor of Byzantines. The Kingdom of Kiev is ruled by an unmarried child queen. You betroth your heir to the Queen. Once they come of age, they have a regular marriage. You die, and you then play as your heir, the new Emperor of Byzantium and King of Kiev, (although ruled by the Queen of Kiev). You have a son, which is of your dynasty as it is a regular marriage. You die, and your wife dies, you are then now playing as an Emperor of Byzantium and King of Kiev, ruling both under the Byzantine title.

Generally I do not do this with my heir, since it is kind of cheaty to expand in such huge ways unless I am playing small counts or dukes. Instead I usually marry my non-heir sons to queens just to expand my dynasty, but I will not inherit those lands or rule them, but a member of my dynasty will (and thus they are forever an ally to call to war)

Similarly you can use daughters and to matrilinerally marry a son of a king who is not the heir. Then, you can kill the heir of that kingdom and thus make your daughter's husband the heir as they might be next in line to the throne. Their children will be of your dynasty

I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #901 on: January 02, 2014, 07:29:39 PM »
You chose a hard ruler. Byzantines will eventually attack you  ;D

Ugh.  Well, not a lot of time invested.  I can always move to Norway or Ireland.  I'd like something Orthodox, so maybe Novgorod or some Russian count?

If Byzantines are too big to play, yes I would play in the north if you want to play Orthodox in those russian lands. The only problem is, (if play 1066) is all of those dukes are mostly of the Rurik dynasty, so whenever you go to war with any of them you will start a big family war as you call your family to war and the enemy calls the same family to war... and they must pick and choose who to fight... 

Russians are quite fun and challenging, but when the mongols come you will probably be destroyed or vassalized by doom stacks which do not take attrition. only pro players can defeat mongols, and even then by cheap tactics

(It reminds me of playing Georgia... I was surrounded by mongols to the north and illkhanate to the south as the Byzantines could not hold them back... I turned out to go from King of Georgia to count of some mountain region, vassal of the Khan... how depressing)

another thing you can do is try a catholic country for now, and if you really want you can convert to orthodox. just search characters and invite a landless orthodox man or women to your court, and have them educate your heir. generally they might get an event which changes the child's religion to the religion of the educator. but be careful not to change the culture of your heir, since that will really make your vassals mad once your heir becomes king. (and also sadly destroy all the cultural specific miltiary buildings and be forced to rebuild them in the castles)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #902 on: January 03, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
I have been playing with Lubeck a lot recently.  I kind of enjoy them as a county.  At some point I might try the Duchy in the Peloponnese.  It looks interesting.  That or Brandenburg as it would let me do all the stuff I am trying with Lubeck, but with a duchy and the HRE behind me. 

What I am doing is Vassalizing to the Danes ASAP, before they invade me.  Unfortunately, using them as allies has been kind of sketchy.  I have married daughters to Skane and marry Danish princesses, etc on a few occasions, but then when I tried to take Mecklenburg/Wismar no one comes to my aid.  They join me in the war, but I don't see troops rolling up.  Usually I start out with either Maria or that other Norwegian girl as they are at good baby-making ages right off the bat and put me in good with Harald Hardrada. 

I am using the legacy of Rome DLC so whatever patch that has.  It opens up the retinues, which have been next to near useless as I never have enough retinue cap.

When is it a good time to start expanding?  Should I wait for the next generation and just use the first as time to build up wealth and family alliances?  The problem I have been having is that the Pomeranians always gobble up my Baltic States and they are a lot harder to face than the Oborodites or whatever they are called.  I almost think I should try to take Mecklenburg and Rostock asap before the Poms come in?  But I never have the manpower to do it.

I did start a game as Rostock at a later year (3rd Crusades, I think, or Alexiad).  My poor daughter.  I married her off to my cousin's son to try and get Mecklenburg.  Since the duke was imprisoned he seemed ok to letting me pull a matrilineal marriage with his heir.  Then the bloke died so I was able to marry her off to his brother (yeah, this is getting sick) but they just wouldn't make babies!  (At this point I gave up.  I still have the save, just have tried again from a previous era. I really want to build the duchy from Lubeck, but have just had such a hard time getting started.  Darn Pommeranians!)
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #903 on: January 03, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
Hello,

The serbs, it is almost pointless to play unless you love serbia x1000

The Byzantines will simply take you out as the Serbian lands are De Jure Byzantine Empire (as you can see in the icon to click on bottom right, of de jure empires), this means the Byzantines have a casus belli (cb) to declare war for one county per war. you can still become a serbian vassal of the Byzantines, but remember the Emperor of Byzantines has a free revoke Duke title ability which incurs no tyranny modifier on the emperor.

Fortunately, in my game (yes, I'm playing with Serbia ;))) Byzantines are too much involved into interior problems and fighting with Muslims jihadists to be absorber in my kingdom (I haven't manager to ruler Duklja playing with Rashka, but due to invading Wallachia with holy war with Cumania - again, it was weak because of other wars - I won the title of the Serbian king ;D).

So it's not so bad choice, as it's small and at least easy to control. Just need to have luck ;)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #904 on: January 03, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
I conquered Hungary and Croatia, Serbia and Kiev and even defeated the Byzantine juggernaut in one defensive war, so it is possible.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:52:47 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #905 on: January 05, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors cut.

7 dollars on steam, wanted to play it for ages, haven't regretted it.
Thank you.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #906 on: January 05, 2014, 04:59:47 AM »
hello i will give more advice another time i need to sleep

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #907 on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »
None. Cannot understand the fascination with them. But each to his own poison. I 'd sooner read a poorly written book.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #908 on: January 05, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
None. Cannot understand the fascination with them. But each to his own poison. I 'd sooner read a poorly written book.

that is good idea video games are no good for soul

but it is fun to recreate the roman empire and make the pope your court jester...

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #909 on: January 05, 2014, 05:25:42 PM »
I have been playing with Lubeck a lot recently.  I kind of enjoy them as a county.  At some point I might try the Duchy in the Peloponnese.  It looks interesting.  That or Brandenburg as it would let me do all the stuff I am trying with Lubeck, but with a duchy and the HRE behind me. 

What I am doing is Vassalizing to the Danes ASAP, before they invade me.  Unfortunately, using them as allies has been kind of sketchy.  I have married daughters to Skane and marry Danish princesses, etc on a few occasions, but then when I tried to take Mecklenburg/Wismar no one comes to my aid.  They join me in the war, but I don't see troops rolling up.  Usually I start out with either Maria or that other Norwegian girl as they are at good baby-making ages right off the bat and put me in good with Harald Hardrada. 

I am using the legacy of Rome DLC so whatever patch that has.  It opens up the retinues, which have been next to near useless as I never have enough retinue cap.

When is it a good time to start expanding?  Should I wait for the next generation and just use the first as time to build up wealth and family alliances?  The problem I have been having is that the Pomeranians always gobble up my Baltic States and they are a lot harder to face than the Oborodites or whatever they are called.  I almost think I should try to take Mecklenburg and Rostock asap before the Poms come in?  But I never have the manpower to do it.

I did start a game as Rostock at a later year (3rd Crusades, I think, or Alexiad).  My poor daughter.  I married her off to my cousin's son to try and get Mecklenburg.  Since the duke was imprisoned he seemed ok to letting me pull a matrilineal marriage with his heir.  Then the bloke died so I was able to marry her off to his brother (yeah, this is getting sick) but they just wouldn't make babies!  (At this point I gave up.  I still have the save, just have tried again from a previous era. I really want to build the duchy from Lubeck, but have just had such a hard time getting started.  Darn Pommeranians!)

hello,

since i just got back from work now i am ehre again,k but i am too tired to help you. perhaps you can post a screen shot of your current lubeck game and i can give advice

you can do so by clicking prtscn and pasting it on Microsoft Paint, saving, and uploading it to imgur .com and posting here. or perhaps you click f12, and when you leave steam ... well it is complicated. also you can try the crusader kings 2 paradox forum for advice as well, they are more helpful than me and say things in better grammar and yadayadayad than me

but i will come back tonight to give advice. a shame about your poor daughter

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #910 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »

hello,

since i just got back from work now i am ehre again,k but i am too tired to help you. perhaps you can post a screen shot of your current lubeck game and i can give advice

you can do so by clicking prtscn and pasting it on Microsoft Paint, saving, and uploading it to imgur .com and posting here. or perhaps you click f12, and when you leave steam ... well it is complicated. also you can try the crusader kings 2 paradox forum for advice as well, they are more helpful than me and say things in better grammar and yadayadayad than me

I have started and restared Lubeck approximately 274,236 times at my last count.  In each game, if you push single player, click on Lubeck and push the play button, you will have a general idea of where I am at 20 years or so into the game!

Over the weekend I took a CK2 hiatus as I have been dreaming about marrying my unborn daughters to various German and Danish prinicpalities, instead playing World of Tanks/Warplanes and Star Wars Old Republic.  I tend to take breaks when video games infect my sleep.  I won't be able to get on much for the next couple of days (Christmas Eve tonight + relationship anniversary tomorrow) but Wed or Thurs I will give Lubeck another shot and try to record what I do. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #911 on: January 06, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
The worst is when you lay in bed at night and can't fall asleep because you're brain is thinking to hard about how to beat some level of some stupid video game.  Then your wife asks why you keep tossing and turning and if something is on your mind that you want to talk about.  Then you have to come up with some other excuse because if you tell her that you are thinking about a video game, she will stab you to death in your sleep.

I run into that problem often.
God bless!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #912 on: January 06, 2014, 03:59:39 PM »
The worst is when you lay in bed at night and can't fall asleep because you're brain is thinking to hard about how to beat some level of some stupid video game.  Then your wife asks why you keep tossing and turning and if something is on your mind that you want to talk about.  Then you have to come up with some other excuse because if you tell her that you are thinking about a video game, she will stab you to death in your sleep.

I'm somewhat suprised you still have a wife. How do you do that? You could write some self-help book about combining video games and a relationships. Millions of men would be eternally grateful.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #913 on: January 06, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »

I'm somewhat suprised you still have a wife. How do you do that? You could write some self-help book about combining video games and a relationships. Millions of men would be eternally grateful.
I'm pretty sure my wife wonders this as well.  Without sounding braggadocious, I daresay that I am an 8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10 nerdom. I play lots of video games, I am into a weirdo Christian cult called Orthodoxy, I incessantly paint fantasy and wargaming miniatures when I'm not playing video games, and I enjoy only movies that she absolutely cannot stand.

On second thought, you should probably have my wife write a book on how to put up with guys who are bound and determined to embarrass them at any given moment.
God bless!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #914 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure my wife wonders this as well.  Without sounding braggadocious, I daresay that I am an 8 or 9 on a scale of 1-10 nerdom. I play lots of video games, I am into a weirdo Christian cult called Orthodoxy, I incessantly paint fantasy and wargaming miniatures when I'm not playing video games, and I enjoy only movies that she absolutely cannot stand.

On second thought, you should probably have my wife write a book on how to put up with guys who are bound and determined to embarrass them at any given moment.

You and I shall talk at some point.

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Je suis Janusz Korwin-Mikke
  • Faith: I'm a Vegan
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to ROCOR
« Reply #915 on: January 06, 2014, 04:45:46 PM »
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #916 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:09 PM »

Some day, when I am bored, I will photograph my collection so you can appreciate the countless number of hours I spend lovingly painting my "little men" as my wife refers to them. No double entendre intended.  ;D
God bless!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #917 on: January 06, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »

Some day, when I am bored, I will photograph my collection so you can appreciate the countless number of hours I spend lovingly painting my "little men" as my wife refers to them. No double entendre intended.  ;D

Yeah, she calls them "Your Toys". If I had a decent camera I would photog mine. Otherwise, I am stuck having my bro take pics (pretty decent ones) with the only draw back being that his camera was an antique during some of the wars depicted...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #918 on: January 06, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
I incessantly paint fantasy and wargaming miniatures

I tried to find on youtube the 7th season DS9 scene in which O'Brien and Bashir are arguing about their model of the Alamo, and Worf and Dax are talking about them, but I could not find it.  :-\  Please accept this to make up for it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:54:03 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #919 on: January 06, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »

I run into this problem more often than I'd like to admit.  I feel like my brain is infected.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #920 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »

I run into this problem more often than I'd like to admit.  I feel like my brain is infected.

Now imagine if, instead of trying to to figure out how to beat some level, you're trying to figure out exactly which line of the 10,000 lines of code in your level is causing a problem. And the code is due in two days.

It's a good thing I'm not married- I'd drive a wife to monasticism :D
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #921 on: January 07, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »

Now imagine if, instead of trying to to figure out how to beat some level, you're trying to figure out exactly which line of the 10,000 lines of code in your level is causing a problem. And the code is due in two days.

It's a good thing I'm not married- I'd drive a wife to monasticism :D

and I am on the forum complaining WHY IS THIS SO BROKEN THIS COMPANY IS TERRIBLE THESE DEVS ARE TERRIBLE DO THEY EVEN TEST THEIR GAMES? UGH

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #922 on: January 07, 2014, 12:55:13 AM »

hello,

I have started and restared Lubeck approximately 274,236 times at my last count.  In each game, if you push single player, click on Lubeck and push the play button, you will have a general idea of where I am at 20 years or so into the game!

Over the weekend I took a CK2 hiatus as I have been dreaming about marrying my unborn daughters to various German and Danish prinicpalities, instead playing World of Tanks/Warplanes and Star Wars Old Republic.  I tend to take breaks when video games infect my sleep.  I won't be able to get on much for the next couple of days (Christmas Eve tonight + relationship anniversary tomorrow) but Wed or Thurs I will give Lubeck another shot and try to record what I do. 

hello I am here

to tell you things

first though, I will start up the game and play 20 years to see where you might be.

before that first thing though,

I must tell you not to play world of warplanes, and instead play "Warthunder" another free to play plane fighter game. IT is much better graphics, better sound, more realistic, and yadayadayada... oh wait.. 1.37... *(DONT ASK)(

brb for advices

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #923 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:17 AM »

hello,

Ok, i misred your post now i understand it.

First, as Lubeck, how weird it is under Denmark de jure. But anyway, personally I would not become a vassal of Denmark, but rather the Unholy Pretender Empire, since it is more stable and has more room for expansion. then again denmark is weaker and perhjaps you could become king of denmark one day. but as a pomeranian? that is just nonsense! ;)

I would turn german if was a vassal of HRE, or turn Danish if under Denmark, and not stay pomeranian. (mean, educate your heir with a courtier who is german/danish, if you have none invite one under list of characters just keep clicking german/danish ones and see if you might be able to invite them with a money to persuade)

boy, all I got to say is lubeck is very difficult... I tried to stay indipendent but get killed right away by denmark or the pagans

you are playing the 1066 date one yes?

I am trying to think of a way to become king of Pomerania from that start, since I don't think it makes sense for a Pomeranian to become king of denmark

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #924 on: January 07, 2014, 02:55:18 AM »
if you are playing 1066 start date, your are playing this man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budivoj

as you can see in game, your father is Saint Gottschalk, who was leader of the tribe of the Obotrites to the east.

It says on the wikipedia, that Budivoj allied with those in Saxony.

Ok,

I have NEW ADVICE FOR YOU FOR AN INTERESTING GAME:

Before you unpause, find this man:

Ordolf of Saxony who is holder of the titles Duke of Saxony, Count of Ostfriesland, Count of Celle, Count of Luneburg, Count of Gottingen

Enter diplomacy with him, and click to arrange a marriage. Select yourself as your side of the marriage, and select Hedwig, daughter of deceased Duke Bernhard II and sister of Duke Ordolf of Saxony

She is 31 years old, so might be too old to have children if you are unlucky. but it does not matter, as if you have no children you can stil play as your brother once you die. You need this marriage for help to reclaim your father's lands!

Before you unpause still, swear fealty to the Holy Roman Emperor. That way, you can call Duke Ordolf to wars.

Unpause and wait for the marriage and the fealty to kick in.

Now, save the game.

Declare war on that heathen Krutoj who has killed your Saintly Father in an barbaric coup and stolen his lands and yours. BUT DO NOT CALL TO WAR YOUR ALLY IN SAXONY YET! Also, use the cussi belli of Claim Obotrites, of your own claim, not your brother's claim.

If you dare attack Krutoj, do not fall for the same trap the historical Budivoj (who you are playing as) did. Do not attack the pagan with your army, since slavics in this game get big boost in battles when fighting on their own land. Also, slavic lands always make your troops take attrition, (this was implimented so pagans are not steamrolled at start of game so easily)

The historical Budivoj attacked Krutoj, but Krutoj made him fall in a trap as he left the castle undefended. Once Budivoj took the castle, Krutoj swooped in with his troops and besieged them, trapping them in the castle. they were eventually all killed/starved to death.

you do not want to follow this path.

So, LET KRUTOJ bring his army to your lands, and let him besiege Lubeck. Also do not raise your troops, keep them in the castle.

NOW, finally call to arms your new Brother in Law, Duke Ordolf of Saxony.

Remember to save before you call him to arms.

Duke Ordolf will now raise his 2,000 troops, form them up, and head for Lubeck to attack the army of the besieging pagans. If Duke Ordolf and his army defeat the pagans, it is only am atter of time you will reclaim your lands as they do all the work for you, as defeating their army will put you to 75% positive warscore, and thus only need a few holdings to finish him off. (you can help the duke and put your 100 troops with his army to help take those lands)

If Duke Ordolf and his army fail and are destroyed, you are dead meat. Reload the save at that point, until the duke wins the battle. (he should... despite being outnumbered slightly,,, since the first time i tried it worked, although second it did not... perhaps let Krutoj sit on you for a while perhaps he will lose some men besieging you but probably not unless he assaults)

If all goes according to plan, you will take back your rightful lands, and christanize the pagans who were ungrateful to your father and his holiness. At this point, make plans to take the rest of the de jure kingdom of pommerania, as that is a nice objective to have unless you want to sit being a duke all your life to a german emperor. (by the way, do not become german as i adviced, since this way it is more fun and historical)

Once you take all the lands of Pomerania (oh by the way, when you take your first reclaimed lands, have that as your main title and possibly move your capital, since your current capital is not your historical capital as far as I can tell, at least of your father's)

... once your take all of Pomerania, start to think about becoming indipendent from the holy roman empire. This is extremely difficult, since the Emperor is very powerful.

To have a successful indipendence, you need to get probably at least half of the Holy Roman Empire to either be in your faction to become indipendent (which will probably not happen since they are de jure part of the empire and german and love the Emperor for his elective succession) or to have your independence faction revolt when the Emperor is in the midst of a civil war over something else. Make a faction by going to the intrique screen, and click factions. if there is already an indipendence faction, do not join it since the AI are really stupid with factions and declare war when they do not have enough power half the time.

Wait until there is no indipendence faction, and then create one when you are King of Pomerania. Use your spymaster to "scheme" on the most powerful dukes, or king vassals by putting it on their capital. There is a small chance each day that your spymaster will be able to persuade that vassal to join your faction if you have appropriate leverage against that vassal (it will be part of the event that pops up, just click one besides the "ask politely" since it does not usually work)

If your spymaster persuades that vassal to join the faction, then go to the next biggest vassal and do the same to him. This requieres a really good spymaster by the way , so try to find one by searching characters, filter only catholics, only unlanded, and perhaps only male. look for best intrique people in the entire world who are catholic, and see if any are somewhat favorable to you and dislike their current liege enough to accept an invintation to join your court (perhaps can be persuaded with a little gold as well, but do not bother trying to invite people who are already a spymaster elsewhere since they will love their liege for giving them the job)

once you get a very large faction, such as with power of 150% of your liege or more, you can start the revolt. Also, it might not be easy at all to make a large faction, since the emperor will also be trying to make those vassals leave your faction, and will automatically do so if they are at 95+ relations. (by the way, you cannot persuade a person of, I think 75 relations or higher with their liege to join a faction)

one way to make vassals dislike the emperor is to have the emperor excommunicated. this is very difficult, since sadly the pope usually loves everyone, even if they are cynical and full of sin. but even so, you might be able to persuade the Pope to excommunicate the emperor one day if he has negative relations with the Pope. (you can see the relations by clicking the "opinions" button on bottom right, and then click the Emperor's capital, and then put your cursor over Rome and it will say in a tooltip what the Pope thinks of the Emperor, you can only have him excommunicate if he has some negative opinion, and you have positive opinion with the pope)

I recommend modifying your game to make cynical a more ugly sin for the Church (since currently it gives, what, -10 church opinion? or is it 15? but i would have it at 20 since piety adds 20 opinion, which an emperor gets so much of within a few weeks it is quite broken), I can show you how to do that some time.

anyway, again, you can try having the faction revolt during another faction revolt as well since the emperor will be weaker and probably wont have troops to tackle both factions easily. (also save up money for mercenaries... lots of money...)

key to indipendence revolts is to not allow the emperor to control any lands of the faction who is revolting. if the emperor does not take any of the lands of your vassals, each week or month or so the warscore on your side will increase. eventually even if you never attack the emperor at all besides defending all the lands of your faction revolt, you will win the war. so make sure your faction members succeed in defending themselves completetly in order to win the war, if any piece of thier land is taken by the emperor , retake it so you get that ticking war score back in your favor

gosh... you should just post in crusader kings 2 forum i spend an hour writing this....

one more thing.. if you somehow become indipendent, be prepared for war from the danish, since lubeck is de jure denmark. try to take all of the duchy of holstein from denmark when your indipendent

another thing, two counties of the duchy of holstein is under the Emperor's fealty. they are prince-bishoprics. that means the only way you can take them is by fabricating claims on them. do so, while vassal of HRE, and if you want after you take them give the bishop the county again. doing so he will be your vassal instead though so when you go indipendent it will go with you. this means of course going to war against your ally of Saxony, since really you are fighting for who gets to be the liege of those bishops.

so you better marry some powerful people who can defeat that old ally.

this may take 100 or 200 years or more.

have fun.

If you succeed in everything, you will be King of independent Pomerania, which is a pathetic kingdom which is no more powerful than large dukedoms , but at least you succeeded where the historical man did not, and christianized those pagans. who knows, maybe you can go crusading or something or bring Christianity to lithuania!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:21:34 AM by Gunnarr »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #925 on: January 07, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »
Thanks a lot for the thorough answer!  I will give this a run and see how far I can go.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #926 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »
Thanks a lot for the thorough answer!  I will give this a run and see how far I can go.

I am going to try it too, since I am bored of making europe Muslim

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #927 on: January 07, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
oh, and try to declare war then the obotrites declare war on those other pagans on the east so they fight two fronts if possible

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #928 on: January 07, 2014, 06:33:10 PM »
oh im so stupid

you know what, just borrow 300 gold from the jewish money lenders

then just get some mercenaries you will win the war every time then

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #929 on: January 07, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
oh im so stupid

How do you borrow money?

I just played five times and absolutely no luck.  I get in, marry Hildgred or whatever the Duke of Saxony's chick is called, and then go to war after a bit.  First time my Count died, so I restart, then Odo dies so I have no useful allies.  Next the Oborites just swear fealty to Pommerania right off the bat and are gone.  Then I finally get things right, Odo gets beat by the Oborites and I lose, restart and then Odo goes full ADHD-retard and goes to war with Hamburg and I am left butt in the wind with 200 vs 2000.  Final attempt Odo beats the Oborites, then goes off and fights Hamburg and I don't have enough men to beseige Wismar and the war ends inconclusively.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #930 on: January 07, 2014, 08:04:05 PM »
oh im so stupid

How do you borrow money?

I just played five times and absolutely no luck.  I get in, marry Hildgred or whatever the Duke of Saxony's chick is called, and then go to war after a bit.  First time my Count died, so I restart, then Odo dies so I have no useful allies.  Next the Oborites just swear fealty to Pommerania right off the bat and are gone.  Then I finally get things right, Odo gets beat by the Oborites and I lose, restart and then Odo goes full ADHD-retard and goes to war with Hamburg and I am left butt in the wind with 200 vs 2000.  Final attempt Odo beats the Oborites, then goes off and fights Hamburg and I don't have enough men to beseige Wismar and the war ends inconclusively.

yes i tried and kept losing, i must have been really lucky first run, but in this new way you win every time.

go to intrique tab, and look under "decisions" and scroll down to borrow from jewish moneylenders

then, hire The Swiss Company under the mercenary tab of the military tab. (the one that costs 150 upfront)

then once they gain some morale, move them away from the border and declare war. then call ally to war. kill their army, and hopefully he will surrender after you take some provinces before anyone else declares war and takes pieces of him.

I noticed after winning, there is not high enough crown authority to revoke his titles as he is a pagan. you might banish him, for 40 vassal negative opinion, but think not a good idea since you will probably wantto change succession to elective, and then eventually primogeniture

instead of banishing, he will probably try revolting against you, just defeat him again and he will be imprisoned, and you can revoke one of his titles for free for being a traitor

rest i would wait either for higher crown authority, or to fabricate claims using diplomat, or to use intrique plot to revoke one of his counties
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:08:15 PM by Gunnarr »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #931 on: January 08, 2014, 05:00:00 AM »
I hope it is going well for you. Right now I have become King of Pomerania, taken fully the duchy of Hostein, and now fully the duchy of prussia, and independent of the HRE.

My vassals are, in the duchy of Hostein, each county ruled by a bishop, and those bishops ruled by an archbishop. In prussia, the same. One duchy of Pomerania is given to a kinsman, and the rest is under my personal domain besides the small walkable island I gave to the Knight's Templar, since they got stuck in England without any boats so could not walk to jerusalem...

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #932 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »
I got reinvited to the Elder Scrolls Beta...my weekend is ruined :)

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #933 on: January 10, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
I´ve not played anything for a long time, until I now came across need for speed rivals. Love NFS and racing games!!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 10:12:00 AM by Jovan »
“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #934 on: January 11, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
Dragon Age 3 art...

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #935 on: January 14, 2014, 10:14:13 AM »
Dragon Age 3 art...

Im hoping it is less linear. I would have liked Dragon Age if I didn't feel forced.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Jovan

• High Elder
« Reply #936 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp0rz9FX8FM

Who´s gonna hit the road with me? :D
“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #937 on: January 14, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »
I got reinvited to the Elder Scrolls Beta...my weekend is ruined :)

PP

I did, too, but I couldn't get in probably because there was server overload.  :-[ I'll just have to wait til April when the game comes out.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #938 on: January 14, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
They destroyed the Elders Scrolls series and you're happy that you're in the beta...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #939 on: January 14, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »
They destroyed the Elders Scrolls series...

How so?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #940 on: January 14, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
They destroyed the Elders Scrolls series and you're happy that you're in the beta...

I loved Skyrim. To each his own.  :laugh:
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #941 on: January 14, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
I hope it is going well for you. Right now I have become King of Pomerania, taken fully the duchy of Hostein, and now fully the duchy of prussia, and independent of the HRE.

My vassals are, in the duchy of Hostein, each county ruled by a bishop, and those bishops ruled by an archbishop. In prussia, the same. One duchy of Pomerania is given to a kinsman, and the rest is under my personal domain besides the small walkable island I gave to the Knight's Templar, since they got stuck in England without any boats so could not walk to jerusalem...

lol So lots of stuff happened on my game. First, the Orthodox Church doesn't exist anymore. Gasp! The Gnostic heresy of Bogomilism, as well as Nestorianism has taken over the Byzantine Empire and the Slavic lands respectively. There is only a single Orthodox county in the whole world. Secondly, as the Duke of Swabia, in Austria; I had finally managed to declare independence from the Kingdom of East Francia, afterward I swore fealty to the Byzantine Empire. Now in Catholic Europe, there is Gnostic Bogomilism starting to crop up because I swore fealty. I had a rebellion crop up and I had no money to fend it off, so I changed to the Emir of Azerbaijan in the Middle East. When I last left off, the Byzantine Empire was almost nowhere to be found it was so butchered up. I think the funniest thing so far is that the Arabian Empire isn't in Arabia. It's in Khazar and Mongolian land. It is now 1160 c.e., I wonder what my game will continue after I import it to EU4...

How so?

I agree. Skyrim was too much hype. I liked Oblivion.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:50:53 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #942 on: January 14, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »

lol So lots of stuff happened on my game. First, the Orthodox Church doesn't exist anymore. Gasp! The Gnostic heresy of Bogomilism, as well as Nestorianism has taken over the Byzantine Empire and the Slavic lands respectively. There is only a single Orthodox county in the whole world. Secondly, as the Duke of Swabia, in Austria; I had finally managed to declare independence from the Kingdom of East Francia, afterward I swore fealty to the Byzantine Empire. Now in Catholic Europe, there is Gnostic Bogomilism starting to crop up because I swore fealty. I had a rebellion crop up and I had no money to fend it off, so I changed to the Emir of Azerbaijan in the Middle East. When I last left off, the Byzantine Empire was almost nowhere to be found it was so butchered up. I think the funniest thing so far is that the Arabian Empire isn't in Arabia. It's in Khazar and Mongolian land. It is now 1160 c.e., I wonder what my game will continue after I import it to EU4...

I have tried a number of things since my many misadventures in Lubeck.  For starts, I found that you can adjust the years instead of using bookmarks.   :-[  Click that two or three times and I have Wismar, Lubeck, and Rostock under Henrik.  Very nice.  I played a while last night, got bored, and quit to get my 2x XP in Warplanes.  I may play elsewhere, or reload in Mecklenburg and see how far I can go before losing.  You are still independent at the start and I went under Denmark because I enjoy playing with them, but as has been noted, they are so darn unstable!  Might give it a go with the HRE or just play independent and see which one takes me first and then swear fealty. Before that I tried as Axum and got my bottom handed to me and then as Portugal.  No fun with Portugal.  You have a daughter as heir and your wife is already early 30's.  I got luck y and she managed to pop out three kids...all daughters.  Eventually the duke died and I was left with an heir who had no legitimate dynastic heirs.

How so?

I agree. Skyrim was too much hype. I liked Oblivion.

Morrowind, yo!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:25:03 PM by vamrat »

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
« Reply #943 on: January 14, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »

How so?

I hate mmorpgs. TES is supposed to be single player.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:50:45 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #944 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »
I've been with Elder Scrolls since the beginning and I've loved every one (Redguard was a bit much for me though).  There is a bit that has been lost, but I think far more has been gained. Then again, it could flop and Bethesda could do a mulligan on the lore. Just ask Square :)

PP
Gregory the Great