OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 07:37:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 33209 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2012, 12:48:20 PM »

Thanks, I'll try to download  the demo... and for now the game will be on the list to buy  Smiley

Now playing... Dragon Warrior 3!   Yay NES games!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »

Portal 2 is pretty great.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »

Alan Wake.

Not posting
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »

Just picked up Empire:Total War today. I think I owned it once before, but couldn't get into it. Maybe I'm bored enough now!

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2012, 06:48:13 PM »

Just finished playing the original Alan Wake, and downloaded the sequel, American Nightmare today.  Smiley

Not posting
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »

Finally finished Skyrim's main quest.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »

Finally finished Skyrim's main quest.

Congratulations!   Grin

Not posting
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »

Nope, still don't like playing Empire:Total War... blah Grin  (which is kinda weird, since I thought some of the others, especially Rome, were just the cat's pajamas)

Finished my 2nd play through of Skyrim a couple minutes ago. This one took about 139 hours, a few less than the first go around.

After I post this I'm gonna go start Dragon Age: Origins again. Now, which origin story to pick...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:11:22 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2012, 03:17:53 PM »

Trying to convince the wife unit to approve a transaction for Armored Core V Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »

Oh, the days when I had time to play video games.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »

Oh, the days when I had time to play video games.
There's always time Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

Anyone else planning on getting Risen 2: Dark Waters in May? I've been following it for about a year, and have noticed quite a bit of advertising for it lately...   it's a Pirate RPG... they'd have to try really hard to mess it up!   Cool

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »

It's raining cheese in Skyrim... exploding cheese...

http://youtu.be/JV5MNAVYDCk

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2012, 03:55:16 PM »

It's raining cheese in Skyrim... exploding cheese...

http://youtu.be/JV5MNAVYDCk

I'm hoping that in the next patch for the X Box, they let us weaponize everything. I would love to defeat a dragon using nothing but cheese.  Wink

Not posting
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »

I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic pretty frequently lately, I was in beta and early access. I have 1 level 50 Jedi Knight and several alts under level 20.
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »

I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic pretty frequently lately, I was in beta and early access. I have 1 level 50 Jedi Knight and several alts under level 20.

Is it really good?  Smiley

Not posting
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »

Proof that Benny Hinn is dragonborn?

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Skyrim Smiley I like to pretend that I'm Orthodox Rambo slaying crusaders and Ottomens, liberating Constantinople, saving Orthodox women and looking stylish the entire time with my awesome Dwarven helmet and legendary Nord Greatsword.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »

Skyrim Smiley I like to pretend that I'm Orthodox Rambo slaying crusaders and Ottomens, liberating Constantinople, saving Orthodox women and looking stylish the entire time with my awesome Dwarven helmet and legendary Nord Greatsword.
Im sure there's a mod for that Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2012, 03:32:04 PM »

If true, I will rage...

Next PlayStation to lock out used games

Buckle up, Sony enthusiasts. A tipster has told Kotaku that the PlayStation 4 is named "Orbis," and that it will feature an anti-used game system, offer no backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 titles, and ship in holiday 2013...

primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »

If true, I will rage...

Buckle up, Sony enthusiasts. A tipster has told Kotaku that the PlayStation 4 is named "Orbis," and that it will feature an anti-used game system, offer no backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3 titles, and ship in holiday 2013...
I very seriously doubt that.

I think that developers will do what EA did. If you buy a used copy, to play online, you have to purchase the online pass (like Battlefield 3).

PP

Gregory the Great

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2012, 06:08:03 PM »

Very, I love it...
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »

If true, I will rage...

If true, it will sadly be that time to write Sony off completely. There was a period- around 2005- when I thought Sony could do no wrong. They've spent the last 7 years doing their level best to prove how mistaken I was.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »

If true, I will rage...

If true, it will sadly be that time to write Sony off completely. There was a period- around 2005- when I thought Sony could do no wrong. They've spent the last 7 years doing their level best to prove how mistaken I was.

I learned in 2005 how terrible Sony was... They destroyed one of the best games ever... But today Bioware has surpassed SWG with SWTOR and I'm enjoying TOR far more than I did SWG. Even with some idiots hating on it.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2012, 11:56:36 PM »

If true, I will rage...

If this is true, I will never buy a PS4, and it's a shame. I really was thinking about doing so when they eventually release it.

The no backwards compatibility thing doesn't tick me off as much (though I am angry about that, too) as the no used games thing. Seriously.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2012, 01:45:41 AM »

If true, I will rage...

I think that developers will do what EA did. If you buy a used copy, to play online, you have to purchase the online pass (like Battlefield 3).

PP

It is possible that what will actually happen is Sony will make it impossible for the PS4 to read previous play station games, and then they will create a marketplace where previous PlayStation games can be downloaded, splitting the profit between themselves and the developers.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »

If true, I will rage...

PP

It is possible that what will actually happen is Sony will make it impossible for the PS4 to read previous play station games, and then they will create a marketplace where previous PlayStation games can be downloaded, splitting the profit between themselves and the developers.
Yeah, they're doing that now so I'd imagine they'd rocket up that because they're making tons of cash on games like Final Fantasy Legends, Shadow of the Colossus, etc.

PP

Gregory the Great

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »

If true, I will rage...

PP

What primarily irks me (especially as someone who is working toward a degree in game design) is the mindset that the developer is somehow owed for each and every time a game changes hands- as if they are "losing money" because someone decided to pick up a game for $5 that happens to be previously owned. Let's take this approach to any other form of intellectual property- imagine Stephen King (or, more likely, his publisher) doing everything possible to shut down used book stores or Marvel Comics doing their level best to drive comic books stores (who mainly exist for back-issues) out of business and complaining that they don't see any profit off that copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 that sold for $1 million, or a traditional artist complaining that after selling his painting to a collector for $5,000 he didn't see any money from that same collector reselling the artwork to someone else. On the one hand game developers complain about piracy hurting their profits, then on the other they have an overblown sense of entitlement when it comes to their IP.

By all means, code classic games for your new system- the life span of cartridges and disks is limited by how well the original owner takes care of them, and there will always be demand for Super Mario Bros 3 and Final Fantasy VII that cannot be met by the used game market because of that (though SMB3 would need to be bought new unless you wish to shell out cash for a pristine NES)- but that's no reason to not make your system backwards compatible. Backwards compatibility encourages customer loyalty- if I can play my game library on the new system I am more likely to buy the new system and buy new games for that new system. If I can't play my old game library on your new system then I have no incentive to prefer your brand over your competitor's- if I'm just going to have another system taking up space on my home entertainment center why should I not prefer the new X-box or Wii-U over the PS4 and keep my PS3 alongside your competitor's system? Why should I prefer to buy your system AND have to rebuy my game library to play them on your system?

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »

I just started playing "Catherine," a really weird Japanese mystery.

Not posting
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »

So, since the new Playstation is coming out, I bet that the companies like Microsoft and Nintendo are also going to release their next console soon to compete. I'm curious about what the next generation xbox 360 is going to be like.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »

So, since the new Playstation is coming out, I bet that the companies like Microsoft and Nintendo are also going to release their next console soon to compete. I'm curious about what the next generation xbox 360 is going to be like.

Nintendo's comes out this December Smiley   Only two games I'm looking forward to so far are Lego City Stories and Dragon Quest X

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »

Sony won't block used games, says analyst

A widely reported leak from an un-named industry source about the next iteration of the PlayStation came from "a monkey", according to well-known industry analyst Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Securities. The suggestions that the next PlayStation will block used games is just as unlikely as when it was suggested in 2005 that the PlayStation 3 would block sales of used games following a patent application, Pachter said in a statement released to industry news site GamesIndustry International...

FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »

Sony won't block used games, says analyst

A widely reported leak from an un-named industry source about the next iteration of the PlayStation came from "a monkey", according to well-known industry analyst Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Securities. The suggestions that the next PlayStation will block used games is just as unlikely as when it was suggested in 2005 that the PlayStation 3 would block sales of used games following a patent application, Pachter said in a statement released to industry news site GamesIndustry International...

Good news. But....

As well as a consumer backlash, Pachter indicated that GameStop--who he sees as the biggest potential loser in this scenario--would simply refuse to carry the console. This refusal would naturally hurt sales of the platform, he said.

In a battle between GameStop and the consoles, I see the store as being on the losing side- they are fast losing good will and reputation in the gaming community and their biggest competitors in the used games market, Best Buy and Amazon, are too big to fight. GameStop consistently over-prices their used games, if the choice is between a five dollar difference new and used, I'd take the new. Really, the only reason I've ever gone to GameStop is that they are usually easier to get to- they fit conveniently in small shopping centers and thus are everywhere, while other places that sell video games are big box retailers and are usually a 15-20 minute drive.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »

I hope the game industry crashes.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »

Very, I love it...

I played SWTOR during beta and early release, but as of last month I really haven't had anyone to play with and lost interest in gaming for a while, so I canceled my subscription.  It was a really great game so I might get back into it.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2012, 01:42:26 PM »

Elephant Quest! It's a cute little game on Kongregate.  Wink

Not posting
biro
Site Supporter
Toumarches

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2012, 12:00:21 AM »

Playstation 4 next year?

I'm an X Box-atarian myself, but I thought people might like to know about the Playstation stuff. Just saw this on the CNN site.

Not posting
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »

Assuming it's true, this delivers the lulz...

Wii U 'not up to the same level' as PS3, Xbox 360 - Developers

Yesterday reports emerged that the Wii U might be heading to shops on November 18; however, more information about Nintendo's next console also emerged that might be less pleasing to the Nintendo faithful. Speaking to GamesIndustry International, a number of anonymous developers compared the new console in unfavourable terms to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, suggesting it didn't have the graphical horsepower to compete with either, despite being able to output HD video...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »

Ok, I said it delivers the lulz, and it is funny that even after all this time Nintendo still (possibly) can't match their competitors... but it's also sort of a bummer. I was a Nintendo kid/guy growing up (first NES over Sega, then N64 over PS). And I'm still unsure as to whether Dragon Quest X will be exclusive to Ninendo or not...

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »

I have an X-container myself, but I sure do miss the Zelda games from Nintendo.

Zelda violin duet

I'm going to need this.
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #130 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:34 PM »

Back when Final Fantasy XIII came out, I traded in my copy of Tales of Vesperia to get help pay for it. One of the worst gaming mistakes I've ever made.

Yesterday, I corrected this mistake.

And I also bought Swat Kats: Radical Squadron for the SNES. Never played it before, but Swat Kats was one of my favorite shows growing up.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
primuspilus
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: April 05, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »

FF XIII is a horrible game. A beautiful, horrible game.

Gregory the Great

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #132 on: April 05, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »

I didn't feel like I had the same freedom in FFXIII like in previous ones.

I'm going to need this.
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2012, 09:05:01 PM »

I didn't feel like I had the same freedom in FFXIII like in previous ones.

First of all, I agree with primuspilus about FFXIII.

As for you Aindriú, I believe at least some of that can be accounted for by how linear the game was.

I miss the days of FFIV and VI, personally, though I did like FFXII.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

Anyone here play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I can't tell whether to get it or not. There seems to be disagreements among the reviews I've watched on youtube. For example, the gamespot reviewer says the open world is fairly generic, while the IGN reviewer said it was great; the gamespot reviewer talked about the story/quests as though they were repetitive, while the IGN reviewer talked as if they were great; etc. Which is it? All the reviews I've seen say that the battles are terrific, but the thing is, I don't like that more action oriented style of combat that it seems to have.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: