Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 198557 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • the frozen tundra of lambeau field
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #855 on: November 28, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
Gamestop should stock more used games on their website. Or more new ones for that matter. This is truth.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #856 on: November 29, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »
Counter Strike Global Offensive.
Steam ID? Let's play.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline WeldeMikael

• High Elder
« Reply #857 on: November 29, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
Later, I am not playing it for now. (I was just explaining what CS:GO stands for)

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #858 on: November 30, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
Finished Medal of Honor Warfighter and Hitman Absolution a while ago when Origin and Steam gave me good deals. Now, I am starting Need for Speed Most Wanted 2012 and Battlefield 3. Thought I was done with games, but Origin gave me another 70% off or so deal.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:59:14 AM by IoanC »

Offline ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #859 on: December 02, 2013, 11:05:33 PM »
So, I just purchased Brave New World for Civ V. Now I feel like I have to learn everything over again  :D
Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #860 on: December 04, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
I cant go into details concerning a certain MMO in Beta stage except to say that I was a beta tester last weekend and I look forward to doing it again....you can guess which one.

In other news, Asteriktos, I love the Garak/Ziyal avatar you've got now....I love DS9.

PP
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:57:10 AM by primuspilus »
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #861 on: December 04, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »
The crazy thing is that wasn't meant to be Garak. Apparently it's supposed to be Damar. Now what kind of twisted (mirror?) universe are we living in when Damar hooks up with Ziyal? Is outrage! I use it assuming, as you did, that it's "just plain old Garak" in it.  :)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #862 on: December 04, 2013, 10:15:19 PM »
So, I just purchased Brave New World for Civ V. Now I feel like I have to learn everything over again  :D

People are going to rant about Civ 5 but I played the heck out of that game.  Currently not installed for my own health and that of my marriage.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #863 on: December 04, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »
There's not much left to rant about. I do look forward to the next attempt, hopefully in 2014 or 2015.

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
« Reply #864 on: December 05, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »
A link between worlds. I wasn't a fan of the original a Link to the past but I loved this game and near about everything in it, nintendo needs to make more zeldas like this and not baby us and treat us like idiots like they did in skyward sword.

Also Super Mario 3D world.
Thank you.

Offline ThatOneGuy92

« Reply #865 on: December 06, 2013, 12:50:25 AM »

People are going to rant about Civ 5 but I played the heck out of that game.  Currently not installed for my own health and that of my marriage.

Yeah, I'm going to have to cut back. My girlfriend isn't terribly fond of the time Civ V obliges me.
Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #866 on: December 06, 2013, 05:41:46 AM »
Sleeping Dogs. The fighting mechanics are a little funny, but I'm getting better. Plus it reminds me a little of Shenmue, my favorite game ever.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #867 on: December 06, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
The crazy thing is that wasn't meant to be Garak. Apparently it's supposed to be Damar. Now what kind of twisted (mirror?) universe are we living in when Damar hooks up with Ziyal? Is outrage! I use it assuming, as you did, that it's "just plain old Garak" in it.  :)
Plain old Romulan assassinating super death-dealing awesome uniform making Garak :)

In other news, Im getting Payday 2 tonight on Steam.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #868 on: December 06, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
Sleeping Dogs. The fighting mechanics are a little funny, but I'm getting better. Plus it reminds me a little of Shenmue, my favorite game ever.

Same here. Playing it on PC is kind of annoying as the mouse clicks sometimes don't register. It might just be my mouse though. :-\

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #869 on: December 06, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
So I downloaded Craft the World off steam - terribly addicting and only in alpha stage - my dwarves are drowning themselves!

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #870 on: December 09, 2013, 12:45:50 AM »
Asteriktos, I just found an eBay auction that you posted. I knew you like Dragon Warrior, but I didn't realize it was quite this much. ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #871 on: December 09, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
Asteriktos, I just found an eBay auction that you posted. I knew you like Dragon Warrior, but I didn't realize it was quite this much. ;)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #872 on: December 09, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »
Save us.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #873 on: December 09, 2013, 02:06:16 AM »
Who sing unto thee.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #874 on: December 11, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
According to ye e-mail I have received tonight, the Elder Scrolls Online will be out April 4 of next year for PC and Mac. It will be out in June for X Box and Sony.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #875 on: December 23, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Crusader Kings II is 75% off . . . I can get the complete collection for 20 bucks.  Is it worth it?  How likely am I to play hundreds of hours of it?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #876 on: December 23, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
Crusader Kings II is 75% off . . . I can get the complete collection for 20 bucks.  Is it worth it?  How likely am I to play hundreds of hours of it?
How have I not heard of this game?  It looks fantastic.
God bless!

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #877 on: December 23, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
World of Warplanes came out not long ago.  Anyone else playing?  I have been on World of Tanks for a couple years now.  WoWP is pretty addicting but is a bit faster paced than WoT.  Also, you can reset it to Imperial Measurements which is nice.  In tanks you are stuck with KPH and Meters for range. 
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #878 on: December 23, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
How have I not heard of this game?  It looks fantastic.

I'm very tempted but I'm concerned for my spiritual wellbeing. 

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #879 on: December 24, 2013, 02:48:35 AM »
Just started playing Skyrim for the first time ever recently, and I've already put about 55 hours into it. Much better than I anticipated.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #880 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
World of Warplanes came out not long ago.  Anyone else playing?  I have been on World of Tanks for a couple years now.  WoWP is pretty addicting but is a bit faster paced than WoT.  Also, you can reset it to Imperial Measurements which is nice.  In tanks you are stuck with KPH and Meters for range. 

I much prefer Warthunder for flying planes

I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #881 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
Crusader Kings II is 75% off . . . I can get the complete collection for 20 bucks.  Is it worth it?  How likely am I to play hundreds of hours of it?

See my post on previous page

EDIT!!!

oh its in the other video game thread, please read this:

Hello. I am a CK2 Champ

My opinion on CK2 at the current time:

After the latest main patch with alongside the dlc "Sons of Abraham" levies (that is, the troops you raise from each holding) was nerfed (that is, to be reduced or... made less effective) but they forgot to also lower the troops at the start game from events, such as some Scandinavian rulers have a large number of troops at the start date from the DLC Old Gods. Another example was the event troops of King Harold II and William.  This has not yet been fixed, so the game is very unbalanced at the moment, so I would not play it until they release patch 2.02, which is currently in beta phase.  Personally I have not played CKII ever since the "Sons of Abraham" dlc for various reasons, mostly bugs but also I dislike the nerf to levies, I would have prefered they nerfed retinues. Also Anti-popes were quite broken, and still are not properly implemented in any sort of historical way which just frustrates me.

To tell if the 2.02 patch is released, just go to this forum:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?551-Crusader-Kings-II
and wait for a sticky saying that 2.02 is released.

Now, about dlcs. I would recommend buying ALL the dlcs, except possibly the unit packs and the music and that guff since it does not add anything but graphics and music and such things.

The Sons of Abraham DLC is the newest DLC. It added cardinals to the Pope so it has some kind of election process. Also a bunch of other less important things. Sadly also they limited the number of theocratic vassals you may appoint (Sometimes I liked to play as a Emperor with all my vassals being Prince-Archbishops and Prince-Bishops under them. ;p) I think they may make it moddable though

The DLC before this one is:

The Old Gods

Created new Start Date which is in like 880 or something rather than 1066. Makes playing pagans possible. Lots of events. Viking raids stuff like that. Sadly they did not do something about the Patriarch Photios and Patriarch Ignatius scandal. Such as reinstate Patriarch Photios. Between those start dates you cannot change the date, so you cant play in between 880 (or whatever start date I cant remember) and 1066. but anyway, in all other dates past 1066 you can change the date even by the day when on the ruler selection screen by clicking the arrows at the top. So you could start the exact day a certain king of yours you liked ascended to the throne or something. I like using it mostly for the crusader states. but that has nothing to do with this DLC

next was... was it?

Legacy of Rome

This was mostly a Byzantine dlc which added patriarchtes  besides just the PAtriarchate of Constantinople, but further it allows you to build RETINUES which is very important for defending your country from faction revolts (factions were added n the patch which introduced this dlc and also very effective in waging war. A good retinue army can slice through levy armies like butter. Only thing is they are expensive to reinforce. The Patriarch boundaries are still kind of screwed up in the game, such as if you create the Kingdom of Anatolia, there is a Patriarch of Anatolia which is complete nonsense.

The DLC before this was... I believe  was

The Republic? (might be heir of rome was earlier I don't remember)
This dlc made playing Merchant States possible lots of events and all kinds of things with playing the merchant states. Latetly they were nerfed a lot compared to when first released, so they are not very exciting to play anymore since you also have a limit of trading posts you can create. This might by the only DLC I would say to you that you might be able to think of skipping.

Before that was

SWORD OF ISLAM

Must buy dlc, since it allows you to play ISlamic countries. Islam is currently kind of messed up though, always has been since the introduction of DECADENCE. Decadence in this game is from a Muslim's dynasty gaining decadence from the number of living male family members and their current title. This is really broken, since in order to not gain decadence you have to kill every single male of your dynasty except you and your son. Once your son becomes ruler, you should imprison your brothers and kill them (at the same time, make sure you have no distant male relatives anywhere else in the world). It is a pain to play muslims since you have to always manage your family so closely to prevent decedence which if left unchecked makes war extremely difficult (very low morale troops and low attack I believe) to win against anyone especially christians.

I would buy all these major dlcs except maybe the Republic. but DO NOT BUY MEDITERRANEAN PORTRAITS WHATEVER YOU DO. It makes people look like muppets, and all greek people like ... I don't even know. Russian portraits are not that great either. Some of the earlier portraits such as mongol is good.

Update: the patch mentioned is out and those complaints I had are no longer existant

my hours played on CKII is too high for me to tell you without damning myself
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:31:19 PM by Gunnarr »

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #882 on: December 26, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »
wait a second.. where is my huge post about crusader kings II...

WHERE HAS IT GONE

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #883 on: December 26, 2013, 10:30:33 PM »

WHERE HAS IT GONE

Were you thinking of the post you made in another thread on video games?

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #884 on: December 26, 2013, 10:31:41 PM »

WHERE HAS IT GONE

Were you thinking of the post you made in another thread on video games?

yes how confusing to have two threads of videos games! thank you

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #885 on: December 26, 2013, 10:44:04 PM »
Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #886 on: December 29, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25527786

Free stuff for when you have nothing else to do!  :)

Classic 70s and 80s video games are now online for free at the Internet Archive.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #887 on: December 31, 2013, 11:17:41 AM »
Alright, you all got me interested.  I got CK2 last night and am trying desperately to make head or tails of it.  I started out last night playing that Serbian county that is the son of the Duke.  (I read that playing counties is a good way to start off learning.)  Will probably try again tonight but using Rascia as a starting place as it is a Serbian county not part of the main state, yet not related, so I can hopefully push a claim into the main body at some point.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline WeldeMikael

• High Elder
« Reply #888 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
You chose a hard ruler. Byzantines will eventually attack you  ;D

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #889 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »
You chose a hard ruler. Byzantines will eventually attack you  ;D

Ugh.  Well, not a lot of time invested.  I can always move to Norway or Ireland.  I'd like something Orthodox, so maybe Novgorod or some Russian count?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #890 on: December 31, 2013, 12:20:39 PM »
I'm still making my way through 'Final Fantasy 13 pt. 2.'

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #891 on: January 01, 2014, 05:43:06 PM »
So, is it common to suck this bad at CK2?  I have been playing as single Counties (specifically Lubeck) and I can't even get Wismar before those darn Pomeranians eat up everything.  Let along Rostock.  I'm thinking I might have to start out at Brandenburg or some Danish holding if I want to get anywhere in that region.  I have a better grasp on how the game works so I might go back to the Serbs and give them another run.

Offline WeldeMikael

• High Elder
« Reply #892 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
At the beginning, yes, you need time to grasp the basics and opportunities. You just have to play to learn.

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #893 on: January 01, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »
Why not try Castille to begin with?

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #894 on: January 01, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »
The Last of Us. And thanks to the steam holiday sale, my backlog grows ever bigger.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #895 on: January 02, 2014, 09:32:28 AM »
So, is it common to suck this bad at CK2?  I have been playing as single Counties (specifically Lubeck) and I can't even get Wismar before those darn Pomeranians eat up everything.  Let along Rostock.  I'm thinking I might have to start out at Brandenburg or some Danish holding if I want to get anywhere in that region.  I have a better grasp on how the game works so I might go back to the Serbs and give them another run.
They are hungry little fellas.

God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #896 on: January 02, 2014, 09:37:58 AM »
^ That could very justifiably be cross-posted in the Cuteness Overload thread.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #897 on: January 02, 2014, 04:01:48 PM »
Still playing Skyrim (70+ hours so far, thank you winter break between semesters), but now also playing Eternal Sonata. Both on 360.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #898 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:47 PM »
Alright, you all got me interested.  I got CK2 last night and am trying desperately to make head or tails of it.  I started out last night playing that Serbian county that is the son of the Duke.  (I read that playing counties is a good way to start off learning.)  Will probably try again tonight but using Rascia as a starting place as it is a Serbian county not part of the main state, yet not related, so I can hopefully push a claim into the main body at some point.

I haven't played as Orthodox yet. I am a Catholic Count under the Holy Roman Empire. I was taught that it's probably easier to start as something large rather than something small. Of course, when you are larger there is more internal conflict however.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:24:19 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #899 on: January 02, 2014, 05:25:30 PM »
I just kicked Saren's butt quite nicely in Mass Effect.

Now I'm working with Cerberus in Mass Effect 2.