OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 04:31:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 31455 times) Average Rating: 0
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #540 on: June 14, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »

One of my internet friends says it's the best one so far. I may get Legacy of Rome first, just because it's cheaper and I still have like 10 bucks left on this Amazon card.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #541 on: June 15, 2013, 02:02:11 AM »

rofffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffl

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #542 on: June 15, 2013, 06:57:29 AM »

Who doesn't have Internet service these days? And isn't the Sony a lot more expensive?

Fanboys....  Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #543 on: June 15, 2013, 07:16:40 AM »

I bought the Old Gods dlc. It's pretty nice.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #544 on: June 15, 2013, 01:42:10 PM »

I bought the Old Gods dlc. It's pretty nice.

I am going to buy it. Can't wait to convert some heathens!  Wink Grin

Nephi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #545 on: June 15, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »

Who doesn't have Internet service these days? And isn't the Sony a lot more expensive?

Fanboys....  Tongue

Isn't what more expensive? The PS4, PS+, or something else?
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #546 on: June 15, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »

Fanboys....  Tongue

This upcoming generation, the XBox One is going to be more expensive, by about $100, with Sony being about $50 more than the WiiU (all this depends on what packages one gets, but the pricing is about the same for comparable packages).

As for who doesn't have internet service these days- quite a lot of people still, actually. And not everyone who does have internet service has great internet service. Even in an online class devoted to video game design, I've been teamed with people out in the boonies who have to make do with dial-up 56k quality due to not having the cable lines, DSL lines, or even halfway decent 4G signals out where they live. Yet plenty of people out in these areas own consoles and keep up to date with the newer generations, based on their own "fanboyish" preferences.

I'm not a fanboy, either. I've had and enjoyed various consoles from the various publishers in each generation, without the need to have one of each (I'm content with one Nintendo to play Zelda games and one of the other two for more "hardcore" games- last generation I had first a Gamecube and Xbox- then my apartment got broken into and everything I owned stolen; afterwards I had a gamecube and PS2). This last generation, Sony really dropped the ball with both the PS3 and the different PSP units they tried to publish (though I do own a PSP- I decided to stop keeping up with the newer models once they went UMD free and I had no way of playing my old library on the 3000 and Vita). So far, it looks like Microsoft has really hurt itself in this upcoming generation, and might have to do some serious backpedaling and remodeling of the X-Box One if it wants to stay in the race- if there is even a race to be had. This generation might see the overall death of the dedicated console for at least a little while- I know that for me personally, neither Sony nor Microsoft are offering me anything that really makes me lean in the direction of buying either. I'll probably be content with my Steam account and get a Wii U once the new Zelda comes out.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #547 on: June 17, 2013, 09:39:58 AM »

Who's up for an erotic adventure?   Kiss
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #548 on: June 17, 2013, 10:10:21 AM »

None.  The labtop literally fell apart.  The bits still work, just outdated, but the casing is crumbling.  No more HP's for me if I can help it!

Debating on getting a new labtop (portability) or just get a desktop for the first time since 2004 (cheaper, or at least more performance for the price).  I want an AMD processor, a decent video card, quadcore processor (old one had an Intel i5 - at least want something newer, and more than 8gb of ram).  Now, can I do this for under $800?? 
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #549 on: June 17, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »

None.  The labtop literally fell apart.  The bits still work, just outdated, but the casing is crumbling.  No more HP's for me if I can help it!

Debating on getting a new labtop (portability) or just get a desktop for the first time since 2004 (cheaper, or at least more performance for the price).  I want an AMD processor, a decent video card, quadcore processor (old one had an Intel i5 - at least want something newer, and more than 8gb of ram).  Now, can I do this for under $800?? 

Depends on if you need a new copy of Windows and/or a new monitor/other peripherals.
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #550 on: June 17, 2013, 10:34:51 AM »

On my first playthrough of Fable II.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #551 on: June 17, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »

Depends on if you need a new copy of Windows and/or a new monitor/other peripherals.

Yes to all of the above.  I have a mouse, but that's it.  Would need speakers, keyboard, monitor, plus windows (unless I buy it at a place that automatically loads it...though Windows 7 would be preferable over Cool.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #552 on: June 17, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »

Yes to all of the above.  I have a mouse, but that's it.  Would need speakers, keyboard, monitor, plus windows (unless I buy it at a place that automatically loads it...though Windows 7 would be preferable over Cool.

Best I can do: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/17lUf
Total: $798.36 including shipping and rebates.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #553 on: June 17, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »

Uh...wow!  Thanks! 

Two things I have learned - if you need to buy something, mention it on OC.net, and if you are going to write that windows 7 would be preferable over 8 and use a ) put a space between 8 and ) lest you get "preferable over Cool.

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #554 on: June 17, 2013, 02:47:28 PM »

Battlefield4free. Why? Combination of learning life experience, IT and relaxation and needing a laugh. Some of the funny stuff that can happen in games is just ... GOD! Anyway, it's really bizarre to be in a computer game. In a way, it sort of opens you to a different reality, but it's also rather unnatural as in, "why is this person pretending to be in a virtual game?".

William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #555 on: June 17, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »

I played the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo last night. After the tutorial-in-a-tube you're given 45 minutes (excluding dialogue and using the menus) to explore Startville and the surrounding woods. The lore is a pretty standard Tolkien rip-off - you're in a tranquil, pastoral forest on the Western border of the huge map and in the far east an army of evildoers is advancing and destroying civilization. I imagine that as you progress in the game you get farther east and more involved in the war. There are elves, humans, fae (magical nature elves, basically) and gnomes (which basically fulfill the technologically-savvy-short-guy role that dwarves usually occupy). The world is HUGE. Absolutely enormous. I've heard it may be bigger than Skyrim.

There seem to be plenty of quests. In Startville (aka Gorhart) I was given quests to join a Warrior's Guild clone, continue the main quest, explore ruins for some apothecary's apprentice, retrieve a doubtful young monk who left the monastery, and find a way to heal some wounded fae. Pretty standard and short enough to not be monotonous. No complaints though I've heard from others the fetch questing gets really tedious later in the game.

The gameplay was average. Combat is more or less press x till the enemy is dead but your character does really cartoonish lunges and rolls so it's a bit more interesting than, say, Elder Scrolls style combat. Every time you level up you increase both some side skill (like blacksmithing or persuasion) and your chosen combat style, which is either might, finesse or sorcery per the usual stereotypical RPG roles.

Another thing that needs to be noted is that this game is more or less a cartoon version of Dragon Age. They've got the minimap, linearity, pretty much identical menus, and they even stole the Mass Effect conversation wheel (likely because it is also published by EA). I also kept getting told I was unlocking items for use in Mass Effect 3. The art is even similar (the inside of the monastery chapel reminded me a lot of Dragon Age chantries). The open world sets it apart, though, and makes me want to try it out more. I probably will in a year or two when it costs $5 at the bottom of the bargain bin.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #556 on: June 17, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »

Thanks for the review. I have had this on a list of games-to-buy for some time now, but as a very low priority. I had planned on buying it and was following it on gamespot pre-release, but what I saw of the combat just turned me off a lot. I guess I just like "boring" styles of combat, e.g. I preferred DA:O to DA2, I enjoy turn-based combat, etc. Maybe I'll get bored enough eventually to buy it, but your thoughts certainly keep it down the list for now.  Actually at this point I'm more interested in seeing what happens with the IP, who it gets sold to, if they'll make another one, etc...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #557 on: June 17, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »

2013 Essential Facts About the Computer and Video Game Industry (PDF)

Some interesting stats:
- 58% of Americans play video games
- The average age of a game player is 30
- 45% of gamers are women; there are far more adult women playing video games than under-17 boys
- Strategy and RPG games are only 8.8% of total game market, but 52.9% of the computer gaming market
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #558 on: June 17, 2013, 07:59:17 PM »

Thanks for the review. I have had this on a list of games-to-buy for some time now, but as a very low priority. I had planned on buying it and was following it on gamespot pre-release, but what I saw of the combat just turned me off a lot. I guess I just like "boring" styles of combat, e.g. I preferred DA:O to DA2, I enjoy turn-based combat, etc. Maybe I'll get bored enough eventually to buy it, but your thoughts certainly keep it down the list for now.  Actually at this point I'm more interested in seeing what happens with the IP, who it gets sold to, if they'll make another one, etc...

It definitely has promise but not enough for me to put it higher on my list than other RPGs I've been meaning to try (The Witcher 2 and Dragon's Dogma). Plus presumably eventually EA will release an edition with all the DLC items and the two expansion packs at a quarter the price it's going for now.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #559 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »

The Last Of Us is the greatest game of this generation.

if you disagree, you are wrong.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #560 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »

- Strategy and RPG games are only 8.8% of total game market, but 52.9% of the computer gaming market

Elite gaming class(es) right here.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #561 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »

Actually, that would be Fallout: New Vegas.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #562 on: June 17, 2013, 08:54:34 PM »

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

uhm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #563 on: June 17, 2013, 09:59:05 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but I game a lot less than when I was a kid.

I used to marathon for like 14 hours a day playing video games, but these days I don't even have the attention span to play even more than 5 minutes.

I've been wholly bored of games for years now. It would have to take a game, like The Last Of Us, to really capture my attention for me to care.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #564 on: June 17, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »

I tend to play much less these days... I usually buy maybe 2 games a year, though they're the type that you can get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of, and which age pretty well.
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #565 on: June 17, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but I game a lot less than when I was a kid.

I used to marathon for like 14 hours a day playing video games, but these days I don't even have the attention span to play even more than 5 minutes.

I've been wholly bored of games for years now. It would have to take a game, like The Last Of Us, to really capture my attention for me to care.

I've been that way for a long time. I got into the terrible habit of getting to end-game and then not finishing it... I'm trying to break this habit by forcing myself to finish games before starting new ones.

Although lack of interest is a different issue altogether.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #566 on: June 19, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »

Microsoft pulls a 180, rescinds Xbox One connection mandate

Microsoft backtracked today on its much-derided policy that would have required Xbox One gamers to connect their consoles to the Internet once a day to prevent game piracy.

Microsoft faced a huge backlash when it announced the policy, just before the  E3 video game conference earlier this month. Then, the company said it would allow gamers to play offline for up to 24 hours on a primary console, or 1 hour if they were logged onto a separate console accessing their library of titles. At that point, offline gaming would have been disabled until players re-establish a Web connection...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #567 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »

You are both wrong.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #568 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:23 PM »

Unfortunately some of them are too young to have played the greatest game ever (at least when initially released).

(Just kidding. Mostly.)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:42:06 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #569 on: June 19, 2013, 07:53:57 PM »

I never couldn't get through the 3rd level.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #570 on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:54 PM »

Microsoft backtracked today on its much-derided policy that would have required Xbox One gamers to connect their consoles to the Internet once a day to prevent game piracy.

Microsoft faced a huge backlash when it announced the policy, just before the  E3 video game conference earlier this month. Then, the company said it would allow gamers to play offline for up to 24 hours on a primary console, or 1 hour if they were logged onto a separate console accessing their library of titles. At that point, offline gaming would have been disabled until players re-establish a Web connection...

Ok, now they're saying that for this to take effect you need to do an update whenever you buy the console... so you need to have a net connection for at least that one download... *shakes head*
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #571 on: June 19, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »

Strangest gaming concept...

Street Cleaning Simulator vs. Towing Simulator

Has anyone actually played either of these?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:28:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #572 on: June 19, 2013, 11:43:14 PM »

So you could? Jk. Wink
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #573 on: June 19, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »

You and Nick have very different yet remarkable talents for finding the strangest stuff on the internet.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #574 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »

You and Nick have very different yet remarkable talents for finding the strangest stuff on the internet.

Have you read the amazon reviews? Not as epic as other insane ironic review pile ons, but you might want to take a look.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #575 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:24 PM »

Have you read the amazon reviews? Not as epic as other insane ironic review pile ons, but you might want to take a look.

Let's put it this way, the Street Cleaning Simulator reviews are no Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Hutzler-571-Banana-Slicer/dp/B0047E0EII

When the top review for a banana slicer gets 471 comments, you know the internet just happened.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:57:53 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #576 on: June 19, 2013, 11:59:33 PM »

Let's put it this way, the Street Cleaning Simulator reviews are no Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer reviews:

When the top review for a banana slicer gets 471 comments, you know the internet just happened.

Cheesy Those are great...
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #577 on: June 20, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »

One of my favorite short ones:

3,474 of 3,760 people found the following review helpful
 Kirk Cameron's banana slicer, August 7, 2012
By Noah
If God does not exist, then how is it that a banana fits so perfectly in this banana slicer? CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OO5L1UKIU6H8/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0047E0EII&nodeID=284507&store=kitchen

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #578 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:20 AM »

One of my favorite short ones:

3,474 of 3,760 people found the following review helpful
 Kirk Cameron's banana slicer, August 7, 2012
By Noah
If God does not exist, then how is it that a banana fits so perfectly in this banana slicer? CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OO5L1UKIU6H8/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0047E0EII&nodeID=284507&store=kitchen

Then like a perfect one-two, you get a comment on that review which is one of the best long format "reviews":

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3OO5L1UKIU6H8/ref=cm_cr_rev_detmd_pl?ie=UTF8&asin=B001F5STWU&cdForum=FxZICWE2UTJBTM&cdMsgID=Mx37NKJ9BJYHWFP&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx2HRREY1E7UQSJ#Mx37NKJ9BJYHWFP

Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #579 on: June 20, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »

Being popular in Fable II is kind of frustrating at times, like when you're trying to steal from a house you just broke into only to turn around and see an entire crowd of villagers applauding you...
Nephi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #580 on: June 21, 2013, 01:15:46 AM »

This website, HowLongtoBeat.com, is a great website to see 1) how long it took others to finish a game, 2) see how long it takes you to finish your game, and 3) to catalogue your current, backlogged, and completed games.

I say this as I just beat Fable II at about 24 hours, or so says my Raptr account, and added it as completed. Thought others might find it useful as well.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #581 on: June 21, 2013, 01:20:25 AM »

So you could? Jk. Wink

Hahaha.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #582 on: June 21, 2013, 01:39:13 AM »

Ok, now they're saying that for this to take effect you need to do an update whenever you buy the console... so you need to have a net connection for at least that one download... *shakes head*

And? It's not a big deal.

The current 360 allows digital downloads, but requires you to be connected to play unless its on the console you bought it on. If you are disconnected from the Internet, you have 10 minutes of free play till it forces you to stop and you either have to reconnect or exit to the dashboard.

Also, to play any disk games installed on the 360, you have to have the disk in for an initial check.

I'd much rather that they just announced "no disks" than have this half and half thing. I get most of my titles from digital downloads already for the 360.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #583 on: June 21, 2013, 01:42:15 AM »

Very crafty, Devon.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #584 on: June 26, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »

Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

When Sony announced that PlayStation 4 would be priced at $399 to an uproar of applause from the audience at its E3 press conference, it secured a critical edge over the Xbox One. But the advantage came at a cost: the PlayStation 4 camera (formerly known as the PlayStation 4 Eye). According to multiple sources, in the months leading up to E3, Sony nixed plans to include the camera add-on with every system and shave $100 off its originally planned price of $499. Most importantly, it did so quietly, informing its retail partners only of the removal of the camera, not specifying the lower price so as not to tip its hand to Microsoft.

But in its efforts to undercut the Xbox One, Sony has damned the accessory to a future of fragmented consumer adoption and inconsistent software support. The decision has also rendered a major design element of the DualShock 4 controller — the built-in LED Move tracker — largely useless...
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: