OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 12:05:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 36113 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #495 on: June 10, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »

... but now console gaming is really pointless.

Unless you prefer it, then it's not Smiley

Large Marge sent me...
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #496 on: June 10, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »

I might start playing... I just won a Play Station 3 in a sweepstakes.

Proverbs 22:7
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #497 on: June 10, 2013, 03:40:19 PM »

So the Xbox One is coming out this November I hear. I'm probably not going to buy one unless a friend gets tired of it and sells one to me for a cheaper price. Console gaming is really a rip-off, seeing that their one console per every 5 or so years can't keep up with the rapidly expanding PC technology that becomes more advanced every week. It was cool back in the 80s and 90s, but now console gaming is really pointless.

Because everybody has a PC that can game at that level, right?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #498 on: June 10, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »

These new consoles are quickly besting computers.

The Xbox One did I think.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #499 on: June 10, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »

So the Xbox One is coming out this November I hear. I'm probably not going to buy one unless a friend gets tired of it and sells one to me for a cheaper price. Console gaming is really a rip-off, seeing that their one console per every 5 or so years can't keep up with the rapidly expanding PC technology that becomes more advanced every week. It was cool back in the 80s and 90s, but now console gaming is really pointless.

Because everybody has a PC that can game at that level, right?

You can build one that outpaces even the newest consoles for just a couple hundred dollars more.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #500 on: June 10, 2013, 03:46:41 PM »

This CKII is intriguing me.  Do you get to choose how much of the DLC to use?  That pagan expansion and the one where the Aztecs invade Europe (Huh) seem a bit stupid, but otherwise, sounds like an interesting game.  I used to play a lot of Hearts of Iron, so am somewhat familiar with paradox games.

The pagan expansion is awesome! I haven't tried the Aztec one. Yes you can choose which to use before the game starts up.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #501 on: June 10, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

The new patch (still beta) added the Roman culture (basically Roman emperors names) with the Hellenic faith.

But still, you can't re-create the Roman Empire.

Actually you can, just not with the Hellenic Faith. You have to mend the schism, and then conquer pretty much all of Spain, North Africa and Italy. Then you can recreate the Roman Empire, which changes your capital to Rome, changes your title and gives you a Reconquest Casus Belli on all nations within the original borders of the Empire (France, England etc...). I've only done it once and I don't think I played too long after.
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #502 on: June 10, 2013, 03:54:19 PM »

Sorry for my english, I was saying that with the Hellenic faith you can't recreate the Roman Empire  Grin

But actually, with the 867's frontiers, it is even easier to mend the schism and create Roman Empire.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:56:47 PM by WeldeMikael » Logged
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #503 on: June 10, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »

I've managed to found the Russian Empire in 1038 now with the new DLC. It's currently 1061, and I pretty much have all of Russia conquered (except 1 county), almost all of Finland (except 1 county) and about 30 counties away from having Russia (the current borders, not my own, that's about 50 counties away) entirely converted to Orthodoxy.

The only pagans I can conquer now are in Norway and Sweden, but I can swoop down between the Caspian & Aral seas to hit Persia, but they're almost equal in size (militarily) to me, despite that I'm much larger. I also want to fabricate some claims on Poland to strengthen my manpower and focus some of my Empire away from where the Mongols will come from (so I can maintain some strength to help fight them back).
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #504 on: June 10, 2013, 04:06:50 PM »

Check on the paradox forum, some have posted decent strategies on how to contain mongol threat with limited losses.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:07:10 PM by WeldeMikael » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #505 on: June 10, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

EA just showed some of Dragon Age 3...

The good: Morrigan. Open world. They're taking their time to perfect it... but...

The bad: ...maybe a little too much time to perfect it. It's not coming until the Fall of 2014. Wait, wut?

Large Marge sent me...
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #506 on: June 10, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »

To add--at the moment DA3 was the only game I considered a "must buy" for the next gen consoles (that I know about, anyway), so at least this'll give me an extra year before buying a new console. Looks like I need to focus on a new graphics card this Christmas though, 'cause I see lots of PC games in my future...

Cities in Motion 2
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
Total War: Rome 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Star Trek: Supremacy

Large Marge sent me...
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #507 on: June 10, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

The good: Morrigan. Open world. They're taking their time to perfect it... but...

The bad: ...maybe a little too much time to perfect it. It's not coming until the Fall of 2014. Wait, wut?

Is DA3 like DA or DA2 in terms of gameplay? Or neither?
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #508 on: June 10, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »

I think that was Flemmeth going by the voice.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #509 on: June 10, 2013, 04:46:18 PM »

I think that was Flemmeth going by the voice.

Could be, if it was in her younger days (going by the looks)... or she took over Morrigan's body like they mentioned in DA:O, and I agree that it sounded more like Flemeth, but it looked like Morrigan to me, and everyone is reporting Morrigan... guess we'll see!

Is DA3 like DA or DA2 in terms of gameplay? Or neither?

I haven't heard a ton about stuff like combat/magic... just that it was going to be larger (now open world), that they were looking at Skyrim while developing the game, that it would be in Orlais, and I think I read somewhere that you'd play as a ready-made human character, and not create your own character from scratch and play through an origin story like in DAO.

Large Marge sent me...
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #510 on: June 10, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEsgxlZqro

I'm glad to see there will be a new Blight (assuming that the dragon in the trailer is an Archdemon). Open world is good if they can pull it off. It'll be interesting to see that - Mass Effect got gradually more and more linear with each new game so hopefully this will be a new direction for BioWare.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #511 on: June 10, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpEsgxlZqro

I'm glad to see there will be a new Blight (assuming that the dragon in the trailer is an Archdemon). Open world is good if they can pull it off. It'll be interesting to see that - Mass Effect got gradually more and more linear with each new game so hopefully this will be a new direction for BioWare.

I think open world can be good, but I wished developers would let us do certain things, like have a linear story, but what you do outside of that in the open world can affect it. Like if I, for example, clear an area of enemies ahead of a quest, then the future quest in that area should have less enemies. Or like if you are fighting another nation/faction in a game, and you push back their territory in the open world, that should have a consequence in the campaign, like reducing the enemies to fight.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #512 on: June 11, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »

Playstation 4 - Holiday 2013 - $399

Large Marge sent me...
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

« Reply #513 on: June 11, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »

And most importantly - no restrictions on used games!

Just got my future purchase.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #514 on: June 11, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »

Though you will need to pony up for Online Multiplayer.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

« Reply #515 on: June 11, 2013, 10:21:47 AM »

Though you will need to pony up for Online Multiplayer.

I already do that with Xbox Live, so not a problem for me.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #516 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »

Just wondering how I'm going to get a bunch of money together in order to get the X Box One. There's a 'first day achievement' if you pre-order.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #517 on: June 11, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »

Meh. I'm not buying this generation of consoles.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #518 on: June 11, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »

I'm stoked for it, Xbox One looks amazing. I've found I started enjoying gaming a lot more when I disconnect away from the online gaming communities (not talking multiplayer, but forums & discussions).

The whole expansion of the cloud idea and everything is just amazing. I know people are upset about the whole "Must connect to internet" thing, but I don't mind. If I don't have internet, usually that means I don't have power, also I won't usually play if I don't have internet, i'd rather read a book.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #519 on: June 11, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »

I have lots of consoles but they're all collecting dust anyway. I prefer PC gaming.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #520 on: June 11, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »

I have lots of consoles but they're all collecting dust anyway. I prefer PC gaming.

One more addition to the PC Gaming Master Race.

/Heil.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

« Reply #521 on: June 11, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »

Up until my late teens I had grown up on PC gaming and preferred it. Still do I guess, but I've since developed a taste for console gaming.

PC gaming definitely gets my nostalgia going, especially the mid-to-late 90's and early 2000's... Total Annihilation, Warcraft, Starcraft, Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, Nox, Baldur's Gate, etc. The golden era of PC gaming, IMO. There are still good games that come out, but not as often it seems.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #522 on: June 11, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »

I'm stoked for it, Xbox One looks amazing. I've found I started enjoying gaming a lot more when I disconnect away from the online gaming communities (not talking multiplayer, but forums & discussions).

The whole expansion of the cloud idea and everything is just amazing. I know people are upset about the whole "Must connect to internet" thing, but I don't mind. If I don't have internet, usually that means I don't have power, also I won't usually play if I don't have internet, i'd rather read a book.
have fun with your drm garbage

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #523 on: June 11, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »

One more addition to the PC Gaming Master Race.

/Heil.

damn straight

hey for 500 dollars i would rather just buy a new gfx card

ya dig?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #524 on: June 11, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »

Microsoft and Xbox is officially dead to me now, after reading about the Xbox One and seeing how much they are screwing over their customers now. Screw you Microsoft. I wasted like seven years of my life supporting them and playing their games. Now, I'm going over to the dark side--I'm going to switch over to the PS4.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #525 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:19 PM »

I know people are upset about the whole "Must connect to internet" thing, but I don't mind.

Because we still have to pay for Xbox Live, which is like $60 a year. With how much other crap they are charging us for, you'd think they'd at least go the Sony route and make it free.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #526 on: June 11, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »

Microsoft and Xbox is officially dead to me now, after reading about the Xbox One and seeing how much they are screwing over their customers now. Screw you Microsoft. I wasted like seven years of my life supporting them and playing their games. Now, I'm going over to the dark side--I'm going to switch over to the PS4.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #527 on: June 11, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »

fellow nerds

a new challenger approaches

bahahahahahahahahahahahahahdahosdhosdhfosdfsd

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #528 on: June 11, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »

for real though

battlefield 4

collapsing skyscrapers

in multiplayer

64 players.

believe

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #529 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »

I think the Wii U is a multi-hundred-million dollar attempt at trolling the gaming community. Seriously. Has to be.

Large Marge sent me...
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

« Reply #530 on: June 11, 2013, 07:07:54 PM »

I think the Wii U is a multi-hundred-million dollar attempt at trolling the gaming community. Seriously. Has to be.

Is it really an upgrade over the Wii? I honestly can't say I know much about it since it appeared on the scene with seemingly little buzz compared to the Xbox One and PS4.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:33 PM »

Is it really an upgrade over the Wii? I honestly can't say I know much about it since it appeared on the scene with seemingly little buzz compared to the Xbox One and PS4.

Upgrade over the Wii, yes. Better than the PS3 or 360? Only if you need to play Zelda and Mario in HD. Otherwise it's no better than the PS3/360, and perhaps even worse (especially at this point, since they've had so little game support). Either way it's not a next gen system, which is why I'm confused as to why they released it.  Which makes me sad, because I largely grew up on NES/SNES/N64... *shrugs*

Large Marge sent me...
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2013, 07:28:08 PM »

you shut up asteriktos

the wii u has gameplay innovations such as super mario in freaking 3d.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #533 on: June 11, 2013, 08:35:53 PM »

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

« Reply #534 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »

Upgrade over the Wii, yes. Better than the PS3 or 360? Only if you need to play Zelda and Mario in HD. Otherwise it's no better than the PS3/360, and perhaps even worse (especially at this point, since they've had so little game support). Either way it's not a next gen system, which is why I'm confused as to why they released it.  Which makes me sad, because I largely grew up on NES/SNES/N64... *shrugs*

Well, no surprise but I won't be getting Wii U either. I didn't get the Wii, and I only have a N64 because I received it free. Nintendo consoles after the SNES kind of aren't my thing. Their game libraries are just too lackluster for me...
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #535 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »

Ordered CK2 on Amazon. Should be here in a few weeks, since I ordered from the UK. Any mod recommendations?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

Just beat Devil Survivor 2... it took me hours of trying to finally beat the final boss. Glad that's done, I don't think I'll be doing NG+ anytime soon.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2013, 05:45:44 AM »

Ordered CK2 on Amazon. Should be here in a few weeks, since I ordered from the UK. Any mod recommendations?

Game of Thrones mod.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #538 on: June 14, 2013, 06:54:38 AM »

Game of Thrones mod.

Watch out for spoilers, though, don't choose the later bookmarks
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #539 on: June 14, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »

Did anyone buy the new pagan dlc?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Tags: Fun games 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: