Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 194107 times)

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #1665 on: May 31, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
My son got me hooked on Fortnite and I'm surprised at 1) how much I enjoy it and 2) the fact that he and his teen friends actually want me playing with them.  We are also taking a break from GoW insane level to replay casual and slowly going through Ark: Aberration (I really really want to like it as much as Island because I love the environment better, but I'm on the fence about it).

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #1666 on: May 31, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
Still hammering away at the first section of "Grim Fandango." It's entertaining. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Jackson02

• High Elder
  • Faith: Genuine Orthodox Church
  • Jurisdiction: Inquiring
« Reply #1667 on: May 31, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1668 on: June 03, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is currently 75% off (Steam), so I bought that. I remember buying the original back in the 90s but never playing it... hopefully I get further this time.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1669 on: June 03, 2018, 08:02:57 PM »
Detroit: Become Human

So having played through this myself and watched several more Let's Plays of it, I think I was unfair in how far I went in criticizing the story/play. It's not Fallout 4 bad. More like GTA 5 level stuff, which isn't exactly a great place to be with a corridor-world narrative-heavy game, but still, not nearly as bad as I previously said. For the game in general I'd give it a 7.5/10 rating maybe. It's also just as pretty as HZD and Uncharted 4, though with a more realistic and less colorful/swashbuckling art design.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 08:04:20 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1670 on: June 03, 2018, 09:10:08 PM »
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is currently 75% off (Steam), so I bought that. I remember buying the original back in the 90s but never playing it... hopefully I get further this time.

I played that too.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Jurisdiction: ruins of Constantinople, Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #1671 on: June 03, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »
Bad Piggies. I don't remember hating having to use the suction cups quite as much the first time  >:(  ;D
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #1672 on: June 03, 2018, 09:36:26 PM »
Hearthstone's dungeon run does not look like something that would amuse me...
About to kill rats some more.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1673 on: June 03, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
Just finished the first section in "Kingdom Come." It had very long cutscenes. I hope I get better at the swordfighting.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #1674 on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:53 AM »
Random thought: I would play the heck out of a game that combined Pokemon with Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline sonoftheright

• Frenetic Etchings
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, Eastern American Diocese
« Reply #1675 on: June 04, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »
There need to be more studios that are willing to dump resources into complex 2D simulation games. Prison Architect was a pretty interesting experiment. I'm still waiting for an engine that combines the graphics of Link to the Past with dynamic simulation elements that take advantage of the boons of contemporary hardware.

... on a completely unrelated note, any fellow programmers interested in starting a new project?  ;D

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1676 on: June 04, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
There need to be more studios that are willing to dump resources into complex 2D simulation games. Prison Architect was a pretty interesting experiment. I'm still waiting for an engine that combines the graphics of Link to the Past with dynamic simulation elements that take advantage of the boons of contemporary hardware.

... on a completely unrelated note, any fellow programmers interested in starting a new project?  ;D

I'm not a programmer, but I would be very interested in seeing that kind of thing!
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1677 on: June 09, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
Detroit *SPOILERS*

I'm watching Let's Plays of Detroit as they're uploaded, so I still have this game on my mind. This whole Markus = Jesus thing... I don't know what to make of it. There's just.... so much of it. Like should I be happy that someone is trying to do video game stories beyond the most basic, literal, straight-forward stuff? Or does the very obviousness, amount and ham-handedness of it destroy whatever merit there was in the intention?

Markus was the special one (prototype, a special creation, a unique gift), with his 'father' Carl (God) being the wise, tolerant, thoughtful old man, who just wanted what was best for everyone, but is tired of humans letting him down with their greed and hate. Then Markus is killed, perhaps even wrongly accused, and dies. He is resurrected, though still with a gash in his side, and must make his way through a hellish place before returning to the normal world. He has broken free of his (code/command) "walls," and must now find Jericho, where androids go when their 'walls fall.' He makes a journey to find this place by recognizing the proper 'signs,' takes a leap of faith, is baptised and comes out of the water and is reborn into his new life. In Jericho he comes down to the other androids 'from above,' and challenges them in their beliefs and their status quo. He eventually finds himself with an inner circle of three: North, the former prostitute (the western Mary Magdalene); Josh the idealistic one; and Simon Peter, the ostensible leader of the androids (after Markus); Simon can go lost for a time, but can also make his way back. Markus must lead his people to a better existence where they are not only 'free' to scratch out a short non-slave life in darkness (the OT law), but to also find the salvation of true freedom (NT grace). If this wasn't obvious enough, one of the tasks the player does while speaking to the people in Jericho is light fires in barrels--to 'bring light' to the place. Markus then goes out and chooses how to spread the message (pacifist, or not so much), can at various points sacrifice himself, make speeches, and so on. He has a seemingly magic miracle touch, where he can convert other androids just be touching and conversing with them, healing them of their 'blindness' and freeing them so they perceive reality. Other androids, seemingly like the Apostles, can sometimes do such conversions and sometimes not. There's even a potential Judas character with Connor.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:59:26 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #1678 on: June 09, 2018, 09:26:24 PM »
Raft, Stardew Valley, House Flipper.   ;D  just a little of each every now and then.  I end up glazed over pretty quickly because my life is already a constant barrage of stimuli.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1679 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:09 PM »
Nothing I've heard about David Cage makes me think he's actually smart enough to go into THAT much detail. You might be reading into it beyond the basic "sci-fi Jesus" trope that was moldy already by the 70s.

I guess it's better than nothing, though. Maybe.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1680 on: June 10, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »
Nothing I've heard about David Cage makes me think he's actually smart enough to go into THAT much detail. You might be reading into it beyond the basic "sci-fi Jesus" trope that was moldy already by the 70s.

I'm gonna have to look into this... it seems like a rabbit hole that'll be somewhat fun to go down.

Completely unrelated, but it's kinda relevant for this forum. The initials used for the game are DBH, which has caused me several times at places like reddit, upon seeing the initials, to reflexively wonder, "How do these people know David Bentley Hart, and what are they saying about him?" ..before realising that, of course, they mean the game.  8)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1681 on: June 10, 2018, 08:00:50 AM »
House Flipper

What's the one like? Is it like a business simulation/strategy game, or more of Sims-type thing?

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #1682 on: June 10, 2018, 02:17:51 PM »
House Flipper

What's the one like? Is it like a business simulation/strategy game, or more of Sims-type thing?
Oh gosh I'm not familiar enough with all the genres to say what it would fall into.  It's really just a putzing around game; you actually do all the tasks to fill work orders or fix up a house the sell to a buyer, but it's not like the Sims.  If you want a sandbox in that regard without any tedium, the Sims is actually probably better.  Or a proper design program (they're just expensive).

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1683 on: June 10, 2018, 04:48:22 PM »
I think I'm going to get the "Summerset" game of Elder Scrolls Online this week.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1684 on: June 10, 2018, 05:34:51 PM »

I'm gonna have to look into this... it seems like a rabbit hole that'll be somewhat fun to go down.

Completely unrelated, but it's kinda relevant for this forum. The initials used for the game are DBH, which has caused me several times at places like reddit, upon seeing the initials, to reflexively wonder, "How do these people know David Bentley Hart, and what are they saying about him?" ..before realising that, of course, they mean the game.  8)

There is only one proper conclusions...

David Bentley Hart is a ROBOT!

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1685 on: June 11, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »
House Flipper

Oh gosh I'm not familiar enough with all the genres to say what it would fall into.  It's really just a putzing around game; you actually do all the tasks to fill work orders or fix up a house the sell to a buyer, but it's not like the Sims.  If you want a sandbox in that regard without any tedium, the Sims is actually probably better.  Or a proper design program (they're just expensive).

I see, thanks :)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1686 on: June 11, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
There is only one proper conclusions...

David Bentley Hart is a ROBOT!

This would explain some things...

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1687 on: June 11, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
The reaction to the Bethesda news conference last night has been delightful.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1688 on: June 11, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

lol, what happened? People don't like the new Diablo?

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1689 on: June 11, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »

lol, what happened? People don't like the new Diablo?

The reaction is kinda split down the middle, especially after a follow-up interview Todd Howard gave today with more details. Half the people are in revolt, mostly because of the stuff said about Fallout 76, especially with the online requirement and being unable to play single player. Admittedly, I understand the frustration, and I kinda saw my own interest in the project wane the longer Todd Howard talked about it last night, and then especially with the interview. Some people are acting like it's the apocalypse though. The other half of the fan base were treating Howard like a deity-- "God Howard said that the..." and so on. Some of them--many, I hope--were just joking around, but nonetheless there was a definite feeling on Twitter last night that Bethesda had hit it out of the ballpark, because omg Howard said "f**k nazis," and they announced Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI, and ZOMG this is the most amazing E3 press conference everssss! It was partly funny because all we got for Starfield and ES6 was a 10 second teaser with a logo and a background. It's like, we already pretty much knew that they were being made, so their officially officially announcing it wasn't a huge deal (though Howard claims there were some clues in them... *shrugs*)   Part of the delight was just from seeing (jokes or not) the subversion of all the memes about how terrible Bethesda supposedly is. I don't think Howard oversells by lying to the same degree as Peter Molyneux or Sean Murray, nor do I think Bethesda is some garbage company as thought by many bro-commentators (and some thoughtful ones, like hbomberguy), but they clearly also have some major screw ups ($3 horse armor in 2017? screw right off, bethesda), so I enjoyed seeing the entire thing unfold, both detractors and supporters.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:24:11 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1690 on: June 11, 2018, 07:41:13 PM »
Ah, ok.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1691 on: June 11, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »
I don't really get people complaining about the "darker" tone of some of the The Last of Us 2 material. In the first game we had...

*SPOILERS*

... cannibals, crushing the skulls of people, mowing people down with guns, the frickin apocalypse, killing hundreds of people including some 'innocents,' the heroes acting like common thugs, your child dying in your arms, being told that your main character had done even more horrible things in the past, and, ya know, that attempted-rape-of-a-15-year-old-girl thing.

What did people expect from the 2nd one?  8)

Offline Sampson

• St. Sampson, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Chicago
« Reply #1692 on: June 22, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »
I don't really get people complaining about the "darker" tone of some of the The Last of Us 2 material. In the first game we had...

*SPOILERS*

... cannibals, crushing the skulls of people, mowing people down with guns, the frickin apocalypse, killing hundreds of people including some 'innocents,' the heroes acting like common thugs, your child dying in your arms, being told that your main character had done even more horrible things in the past, and, ya know, that attempted-rape-of-a-15-year-old-girl thing.

As terrible as all of that was, I don't remember seeing anything that bothered me as much as seeing those broken bones in the Paris Games Week footage, or the hanging entrails in the E3 footage.

I guess I should have expected it since it's pretty obvious they were going to try to "top" the first game, but they definitely went uh...above and beyond to say the least.

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God.
  • OC.net guru
  • 1539: Seal of Ivan IV
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #1693 on: June 22, 2018, 08:27:01 AM »
I don't really play video games! many are too violent for my Christian self!  :'(
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Christ is risen from the dead,
Trampling down death by death,
And upon those in the tombs
Bestowing life!- Paschal troparion

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1694 on: June 22, 2018, 10:33:43 AM »
I don't really play video games! many are too violent for my Christian self!  :'(

So presumably you don't read the parts of Scripture about driving tent posts through skulls, crushing skulls with a rock, beheading someone and carrying his head in to a party for all to see, cutting up your daughter into 12 parts and sending them to various bros, etc...?  ;)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1695 on: June 22, 2018, 10:36:02 AM »
ahhh but those sound like old testament things and were not jews anymore and also I haven't heard of most of these because I don't read the bible much!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:38:34 AM by Orthodox_Slav »
"Two Romes fell, a third stands, and there will not be a fourth one."-Philotheus of Pskov

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1696 on: June 22, 2018, 10:36:17 AM »

*SPOILERS*

As terrible as all of that was, I don't remember seeing anything that bothered me as much as seeing those broken bones in the Paris Games Week footage, or the hanging entrails in the E3 footage.

I guess I should have expected it since it's pretty obvious they were going to try to "top" the first game, but they definitely went uh...above and beyond to say the least.

I mean, I get that, I think. I still have a similar reaction to the Witcher 3 chop-a-dude-in-half combat animation. It's just so excessive (in its goofiness, not the gore), it kinda makes me eyeroll so hard I don't want to play the game. Ok, that's not the same, but still, I get ya.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:37:14 AM by Asteriktos »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1697 on: June 22, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
ahhh but those sound like old testament things and were not jews anymore and also I haven't heard of most of these because I don't read the bible much!

This one is much better, broski, keep it up :)

Offline Orthodox_Slav

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1698 on: June 22, 2018, 10:39:57 AM »

This one is much better, broski, keep it up :)

you know what I'm going to start reading the Holy Bible again I'm just being lazy and that's one of the 7 deadly sins!   :)

Offline Sampson

« Reply #1699 on: June 22, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »

*SPOILERS*

I mean, I get that, I think. I still have a similar reaction to the Witcher 3 chop-a-dude-in-half combat animation. It's just so excessive (in its goofiness, not the gore), it kinda makes me eyeroll so hard I don't want to play the game. Ok, that's not the same, but still, I get ya.
The only difference to me is that like you said, The Witcher combat looked pretty goofy with its "dismemberment" system.

Whereas Naughty Dog makes such high fidelity graphics/animation, their dismemberment looks wayyyyy less silly and way more stomach-churning to me . The torture scenes look like they'll be pretty hard for me to stomach honestly. I'll still probably give it a try because I'm curious what happened to Joel and really enjoyed the first game. But I'd definitely be lying if I said the visuals didn't give me a little pause.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #1700 on: June 22, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
Really excited about the upcoming release of Six Ages, the sequel to King of Dragon Pass. Pre-ordered it on the appstore.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1701 on: June 28, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
Six Ages- Ride Like the Wind is out. It is the follow-up to the amazing King of Dragon Pass from 1999, set in the same fantasy world (Glorantha) though at a different time and place. Glorantha was the world initially created for the RuneQuest roleplaying game, which took a lot of left turns away from the fantasy conventions established by Tolkien, D&D, etc. So it's populated by weird races like  duck people and scorpion men. More familiar races like dwarves and dragons appear but are decidedly weirder. The human cultures seem to take inspiration from Norse folklore, Siberian shamanism, and various African and American native cultures. The creators are clearly well-versed in global folklore and anthropology, which is part of what makes these games so quirky and fun. Like King of Dragon Pass, Six Ages is a strategy game where you guide a tribe over a lengthy period of time, managing diplomacy, trade, war, religion, magic, food, etc. There are lots of story arcs as well as random events where you are faced with a lot of choices, and it's rarely clear which choice is the best one at a given time. In between these events you are free to build, explore, conduct trade or diplomatic missions, raid, sacrifice, etc.

So far I find the game every bit as wonderful as King of Dragon Pass, with some of the mechanics smoothed out. As with the first game, every scene comes with beautiful art. To give you some sense of the flavor, here are some screenshots:

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1702 on: June 28, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »
Know if there's any plan to port it to something other than ios?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #1703 on: June 28, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »
They said it'll be on PC next year.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1704 on: June 28, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »
Cool, will put it on the list to watch out for.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1705 on: June 28, 2018, 03:09:05 PM »
Still into "Kingdom Come: Deliverance." It's an open-world, very complex RPG, somewhat like Skyrim and The Witcher. It's set in Bohemia during the Holy Roman Empire.

I just bought a horse. :)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1706 on: June 29, 2018, 01:04:16 PM »
HuniePop

First time playing this sort of game... er, I just wanted to enjoy the expert animations and voice acting.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • It's raw!
« Reply #1707 on: June 30, 2018, 01:41:33 AM »
Also picked up during the Steam Summer sale...

Firewatch
King of Dragon Pass
Grand Theft Auto V

Offline Sampson

« Reply #1708 on: July 04, 2018, 10:32:52 PM »
Detroit *SPOILERS*

I'm watching Let's Plays of Detroit as they're uploaded, so I still have this game on my mind. This whole Markus = Jesus thing... I don't know what to make of it. There's just.... so much of it. Like should I be happy that someone is trying to do video game stories beyond the most basic, literal, straight-forward stuff? Or does the very obviousness, amount and ham-handedness of it destroy whatever merit there was in the intention?

Markus was the special one (prototype, a special creation, a unique gift), with his 'father' Carl (God) being the wise, tolerant, thoughtful old man, who just wanted what was best for everyone, but is tired of humans letting him down with their greed and hate. Then Markus is killed, perhaps even wrongly accused, and dies. He is resurrected, though still with a gash in his side, and must make his way through a hellish place before returning to the normal world. He has broken free of his (code/command) "walls," and must now find Jericho, where androids go when their 'walls fall.' He makes a journey to find this place by recognizing the proper 'signs,' takes a leap of faith, is baptised and comes out of the water and is reborn into his new life. In Jericho he comes down to the other androids 'from above,' and challenges them in their beliefs and their status quo. He eventually finds himself with an inner circle of three: North, the former prostitute (the western Mary Magdalene); Josh the idealistic one; and Simon Peter, the ostensible leader of the androids (after Markus); Simon can go lost for a time, but can also make his way back. Markus must lead his people to a better existence where they are not only 'free' to scratch out a short non-slave life in darkness (the OT law), but to also find the salvation of true freedom (NT grace). If this wasn't obvious enough, one of the tasks the player does while speaking to the people in Jericho is light fires in barrels--to 'bring light' to the place. Markus then goes out and chooses how to spread the message (pacifist, or not so much), can at various points sacrifice himself, make speeches, and so on. He has a seemingly magic miracle touch, where he can convert other androids just be touching and conversing with them, healing them of their 'blindness' and freeing them so they perceive reality. Other androids, seemingly like the Apostles, can sometimes do such conversions and sometimes not. There's even a potential Judas character with Connor.
I scrolled past this post the first time I read this thread, and to the questions, I think the answer is yes, you should be happy that someone is trying to do something more, and no there is at least some merit even beneath the problems.

The reception to Detroit among some of the more critically-minded of the gaming press kind of frustrates me. On the one hand, we have critics who will (rather rightfully) criticize the lack of depth and meaning in many AAA games. On the other hand, we have critics lambasting Detroit for being too hamfisted. I get it, I too kind of rolled my eyes at certain parts like androids being at the "back of the bus." Cage definitely has a habit of getting really damn preachy, and Markus' story felt like the most obvious and preachy of the three storylines. If anything, I wish Cage would either stick to topics he's a little more familiar with (e.g., not race relations in Detroit, MI), or get more writers who understand the area/topics he wants to tackle.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather have the game exist than not exist. It's not as though it's the pinnacle of storytelling, but in our fractious world, someone very clearly and plainly posing the question of "what makes us human?" doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world to me. And at the very least, compared to what Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls were, he and Quantic Dream seem to be learning and growing.

And just from a gameplay perspective, I appreciated the depth that went into the flowchart. After I finished the game, I read what other people experienced, and in some cases it was just a little different than mine. But in some, it was pretty significantly different, and I was surprised at how different our experiences were. That's pretty cool honestly.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1709 on: July 04, 2018, 10:36:56 PM »
Still playing 'Kingdom Come.' Things are getting weird. I killed several bandits today. I'm on a couple quests, and sometimes, even when you have a horse, the bandits come up to you and just hack away.