Author Topic: What video games are everyone playing lately?  (Read 136400 times)

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
Re: What video games are everyone playing lately?
« Reply #1485 on: January 03, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
Just finished Final Fantasy XV after getting it the Thursday before Christmas. Quickest I've ever run through one of these games (not talking just the FF series, either, RPGs in general). It's got a few gameplay problems, but overall, very good game.

Where would this rank in the FF series, kind of feel out with this series a while back. No excuse for FFXII!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 02:20:33 PM by seekeroftruth777 »

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #1486 on: January 04, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
Just finished Final Fantasy XV after getting it the Thursday before Christmas. Quickest I've ever run through one of these games (not talking just the FF series, either, RPGs in general). It's got a few gameplay problems, but overall, very good game.

Where would this rank in the FF series, kind of feel out with this series a while back. No excuse for FFXII!
FF6. There is nothing greater. In the name of the Sabin, Shadow, and Celes amen.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #1487 on: January 06, 2017, 06:55:09 PM »

Hrm. Mine might be the wrong opinion to seek then. I really enjoyed FFXII, though I wish the gambit system had been a little better developed.

As a game I'd place it somewhere in the mid-tier (around X or VIII). Story-wise it's pretty good for a FF, though the plot itself isn't one of the best (but are any of the FF plots, really?), the characters are some of the best the series has seen. It doesn't do much character development through exposition and generally eschews those dark shadowy pasts or traumas the series loves, but really makes you feel as if the main characters are some of your best friends you've been hanging out with forever. As far as villains go, well, I can't compare without spoilers, but suffice to say that there is only one other FF villain I really felt needed killin' as much as this one.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1488 on: January 06, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »
Pillars of Eternity

Mass Effect

Pokemon Colosseum

Star Wars Battlefront II
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1489 on: January 06, 2017, 07:48:34 PM »
Dishonored 2. Incredible game. Take back what's yours!
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline seekeroftruth777

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #1490 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:40 PM »

FF6. There is nothing greater. In the name of the Sabin, Shadow, and Celes amen.

PP

FF6 is best of the whole series, ChronoTrigger the best RPG of all time.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #1491 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:15 PM »

PP

I have unfortunately never finished ChronoTrigger. And I've not yet played FFVI. It's better than VII and X? I also enjoyed FFI.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Avdima

• Elder
  • Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #1492 on: January 07, 2017, 12:21:18 AM »
Eternium: Mage and Minions.

Its an action RPG kinda like Diablo for Android, Windows Desktop and I think ioS.  Really fun but  a bit of a grind fest, and I am leveling up three characters at the same time so its taking me a while to level up.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #1493 on: January 07, 2017, 12:46:38 AM »
Dishonored 2. Incredible game. Take back what's yours!

I'm playing through this right now.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Rohzek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1494 on: January 07, 2017, 12:58:37 AM »

PP

I have unfortunately never finished ChronoTrigger. And I've not yet played FFVI. It's better than VII and X? I also enjoyed FFI.

Yeah. CT is best played on the DS imo due to the newly added ending. Not necessary tho. Let me also add that you should consider playing Chrono Cross once you beat CT. A lot of people didn't fully understand or like CC b/c they couldn't connect it to CT. The problem I think with most of them was that CC doesn't fully connect to CT until the latter 3rd of the game. Only then do you begin to realize how complex CT and CC were from the very get go in terms of plot.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 01:10:07 AM by Rohzek »
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #1495 on: January 07, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
I am playing bit Dungeon II and One Way Heroics.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1496 on: January 07, 2017, 07:13:36 PM »
Just got Steep. It looks fun.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #1497 on: January 10, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
Imbroglio. Excellent tactical roguelike.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #1498 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:58 AM »
Been back to my old Heroes of Might and Magic 3 :)
Hehe, I bought a copy from gog, when it was a promo, just for 2euro or something.

I used to play starcraft 2, but it was too stressful, so I decided to give start trek online a try, overall a very good gameplay, and many hours of free entertainment but its liberal agenda and few other things started to get under my skin.

So, I am back at SC2.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 09:09:04 AM by Vanhyo »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1499 on: February 14, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
Scrabble? ..
Learn meditation.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Übermensch
  • Jurisdiction: Nietzsche
« Reply #1500 on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Aren't video games sinful?
'Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil' (Exodus 23:2)

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #1501 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:04 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #1502 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »

Probably not.
Learn meditation.

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1503 on: February 14, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »

Are they?
maybe some games like call of duty and gta?

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #1504 on: February 14, 2017, 10:34:49 AM »

Are they?

So the problem is not their nature but their themes? Like any other entertainment medium?
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline beebert

• OC.net guru
« Reply #1505 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:30 AM »

Are they?

So the problem is not their nature but their themes? Like any other entertainment medium?
I would Guess But it is just my Guess.because some video games contain sinful themes like sexual or bloody themes. But video games in them Self are probably not sinful. Though in early christianity many of the great priests and theologians even considered Theatre to be sinful. But I Think that is a Little bit too legalistic. But maybe itr depends on what Theatre it is

Offline Vanhyo

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Layman in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church
« Reply #1506 on: February 14, 2017, 01:26:29 PM »
I would Guess But it is just my Guess.because some video games contain sinful themes like sexual or bloody themes. But video games in them Self are probably not sinful. Though in early christianity many of the great priests and theologians even considered Theatre to be sinful. But I Think that is a Little bit too legalistic. But maybe itr depends on what Theatre it is

This is how i understand it

If video games can help you out as a person, then they are useful, if they start to turn into a betrayal of Christ than you need to drop that game.

I think a great deal of discernment is required, to be able to observe the movement of your heart, on the one hand you don't want to be one of those lunatics who think everything is unclean and evil, St Paul rebukes these people very harshly, for example when muslims see a swine they get very offended, this is a state of extreme delusion. There is also the complete opposite case, which is of neglectance and sloppiness, this is also not good.

But if Christ is always at the top of your heart and your consciences is ok, then give thanks to the Lord for all the goods you are given.

I hope i am not wrong, but i think video games are good for me, when i come home from work, instead of thinking about troublesome things and fall into depression, i strategize my way to victory, pew pew :)

Offline HaydenTE

• OC.net guru
  • Always honest, occasionally correct.
  • Faith: Ukrainian Greek Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Saint Josaphat in Parma
« Reply #1507 on: February 14, 2017, 02:55:42 PM »
Only acceptable video game.
"For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?" - Mark 8:36 (DRA)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1508 on: February 20, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
I have the entire Witcher series (I've only played #3), the entire Risen series (played none), Middle Earth: Shadow of Morder (never played), and a dozen indie games, plus probably more, all sitting in my Steam account waiting for me. And what have I been playing? Civilization 1 and Railroad Tycoon 1 in DOSBox. ::) Although the RRT is starting to get a bit tedious--I'd forgotten how much micromanagement is necessary on harder difficulty settings. I'm mostly waiting around to get Horizon: Zero Dawn next week. Also, I've finally put together a not-horrible PC, which I've been working at since last June: i7 6700, 16gb, 240gb ssd/1tb hdd, gtx 1060

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1509 on: February 22, 2017, 07:50:56 PM »
I played Fallout 4 and The Last of Us a while back. I liked Fallout well enough I suppose, though the story ranged between meh and wtf. I'd not played previous Fallout games, which might have helped. With The Last of Us I didn't get more than a half dozen hours into; I liked what I saw of the story, but the gameplay just left me uninterested. Still, despite having about the same time to establish characters/story, the big early dramatic moment in The Last of Us had me getting misty eyed, while the big early dramatic moment Fallout 4 had me shrugging my shoulders.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1510 on: March 01, 2017, 08:12:08 PM »
I've played Horizon: Zero Dawn for about 7.5 hours, and so far so good.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine.
« Reply #1511 on: March 02, 2017, 03:22:59 AM »
Somebody already mentioned Google Doodles, but I have the absolute best time for the Dr. Who Doodle: (1:27)

I play it sometimes to kill time.
"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

"Guard your steps as you go to the house of God and draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools; for they do not know they are doing evil.
Do not be hasty in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God. For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few." - Ecclesiastes (NASB)

"Learn meditation." - Anonymous

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #1512 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Somebody already mentioned Google Doodles, but I have the absolute best time for the Dr. Who Doodle: (1:27)

I play it sometimes to kill time.

Pretty cool, though the tap sensitivity is pretty terrible on my iPhone. Reminds me of Monument Valley.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #1513 on: March 07, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #1515 on: March 15, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
Botanicula. It's gorgeous and very fun, and it's for sale for $.99 on the app store now.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #1516 on: March 15, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
Planning to get back to Starcraft 2.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1517 on: March 18, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn

I'd give it a 9.5/10...

[minor spoilers]

PROs
- great story; it was of the type where you can guess in broad strokes how it'll go, but finding out the details was interesting
- very polished and stable; only glitched on me ~3 times in 65+ hours, only crashed once (I suspect because of an update I hadn't installed)
- a solid 30 hours of gameplay if you stick to the main mission; I'd guess it'd be ~75+ for a completionist run
- nicely realised, immersive world; very beautiful at times; there were lots of tiny details to make the world building feel fleshed out
- UI was good for the most part, once you went into the options menu and turned it off (not really off) or to dynamic
- I actually cared about finding the collectibles... or the banuk figures and metal flowers anyway
- the combat was a lot of fun (most of the time)
- I laughed/smiled more at the NPCs in this game than in any I've played in a long time
- I liked the post-credits scene (some really disliked it)
- I loved Aloy as a character
- I liked how they established Aloy, Rost, and the Nora tribe in the beginning

CONs
- no way to make bulk purchases of resources
- 3/5ths of the plants were nearly useless to me the entire game (they were for antidotes/protections and I rarely needed them)
- very little crafting; what was present was fine, but it felt too limited
- several elements had a "my first video game" feeling to it
- facial animations/syncing wasn't always great
- Merchants calling out to you as though you've never met them, even though you've done business with them a half dozen times
- Like most games of this type, your inventory got filled with stuff you never used, and by the end you had way more money than you needed
- there was some story-telling through audio logs and info dumps; I was engaged enough to not care, but others might dislike it
- some odd animations (e.g., it would show someone walking away, and then cut directly to him facing you again)
- the ruins were amazing at first, but they became kinda mundane after a while; not enough there to reward exploration
- not enough weapons and armor; for 70% of the game you were mostly limited to the same weapons and armor (there were upgrades, but not enough to make it interesting)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:00:43 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1518 on: March 21, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
One of my favorite games to watch Let's Plays of is GTAV, and I'm on my 6th (I think) different person doing it, and I see one commonality across all of them... they all totally misunderstand what is going on in the early mission with Amanda and the Tennis Coach, and also the marital relationship of Michael and Amanda generally. Michael and Amanda are in what basically amounts to a dysfunctional but admittedly open marriage. They both sleep with other people, and they have rules in place in an attempt to keep things from blowing up completely. This is hinted at and at times outright said throughout the game. The problem in that mission isn't that Amanda was with someone, but rather where it was happening: Michael caught his wife and the guy in his house and in his bed (though, having found them there, he wasn't crazy about the fact that he'd been paying the guy besides). Yet every single Let's Player (all of them male, if that matters) spends the entire game looking at Amanda as 'the cheater' (along with more colorful language). One guy got quite indignant and ranted about it for several episodes, and talked like it was some real life relationship he was in. Anything after that initial start of the mission in the bedroom, which shows that Michael is part of, and knows about, this kind of activity, is ignored or at least not commented on. I've not yet heard one bad word about Michael, at least as far as his marriage goes, even though it's revealed later in the game that his cheating is what caused a bunch of problems to begin with. I really do wonder where the disconnect here is.

Is it because Michael is a playable protagonist, who the player directs and identifies with, and so the standards of judgment/consideration are different? Is it a confirmation bias thing where people 'hear what they want' and 'forget' contradictory info?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:08:18 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1519 on: March 24, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »
Horizon: Zero Dawn
[minor spoilers]

PROs
- very polished and stable; only glitched on me ~3 times in 65+ hours, only crashed once (I suspect because of an update I hadn't installed)

I forgot the bug in which a boar is stuck inside a tree trunk, which I've seen a few times.

- UI was good for the most part, once you went into the options menu and turned it off (not really off) or to dynamic

Meant HUD moreso than UI.

CONs

I forgot to mention the silly placement of the Full Heal potion, which is a half dozen slots away from the other healing potions in the favorites/items menu, making it a real pain to get to in the heat of battle.

- no way to make bulk purchases of resources

They fixed this, mostly, in an update.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1520 on: March 25, 2017, 08:40:59 PM »
I started to play 'This is the Police' today. You play a disgruntled police chief who sends officers out on cases. Anything can happen - you can close each case safely, or people can get hurt. It's weird, but I'm going to keep playing.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1521 on: March 29, 2017, 05:15:53 PM »
story... was of the type where you can guess in broad strokes how it'll go...

I take this back, because it was a dumb thing to say. Dumb.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1522 on: March 30, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »

I didn't like minecraft, but so far I like this one.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1523 on: April 07, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »
Gave Civ VI another shot. I installed a new graphics card, and there've been several updates/patches, since I last tried it. It crashed on me twice in about 3.5 hours, and the AI is still wonky.

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #1524 on: April 07, 2017, 09:25:26 PM »
I'm back to Starcraft 2.
Tree on the Americas' server.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #1525 on: April 08, 2017, 12:08:21 AM »
I would like to try World of Tanks.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #1526 on: May 26, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
Grand Theft Auto 5 sales top 80 million

Grand Theft Auto 5 has moved 80 million copies since its 2013 launch, Take-Two Interactive told investors today after yesterday's announcement that Red Dead Redemption 2 was being delayed into 2018...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #1527 on: May 26, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
I've been playing Song of the Deep and Syberia 3.

Offline Jackson02

• Lord have mercy on me a sinner
  • Jurisdiction: GOC-A
« Reply #1528 on: May 27, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »
Fantasy Life  8)
IC XC
NI KA

Offline RandomGalOnTheNet

• St. Theodota, pray for me!
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #1529 on: May 27, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
My son and I have enjoyed playing Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime and Borderlands (along with the usual Gears of War, Halo, etc)