Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 1215367 times)

Online Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #7380 on: August 10, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
I'm very happy that Greece has already snagged a medal at the Olympics. More would definitely be welcome, but even without any, at least the team won't go home empty-handed. We need all the feel-goods we can scrounge up right now.
I wish I could have seen that.  We do not have cable, so we have to rely on what the network shows, which includes wading through a ton of commercials. :-X

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Live slow, die whenever, become one with the Force
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7381 on: August 10, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
I'm very happy that Greece has already snagged a medal at the Olympics. More would definitely be welcome, but even without any, at least the team won't go home empty-handed. We need all the feel-goods we can scrounge up right now.
I wish I could have seen that.  We do not have cable, so we have to rely on what the network shows, which includes wading through a ton of commercials. :-X

Quite a few clips on YouTube already: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=anna+korakaki

PS: I usually watch the BBC live stream, on headphones. The TV gets hogged by the menfolk and their cricket.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:42:20 AM by Arachne »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #7382 on: August 14, 2016, 11:36:04 PM »
  USAIN BOLT!!!   
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/usain-bolt-wins-third-straight-000000005.html

IMO, one of the four greatest and most electrifying athletes of all time, along with Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, and Pele. And undeniably the most dominant sprinter in the history of track. Incredible!!!

Video of Usain Bolt winning his third straight Olympic Gold Medal in the 100 meter dash:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fgebre.menfeskidus%2Fvideos%2F10209460686461525%2F&show_text=0&width=560

Selam
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 11:44:04 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"God is a consuming fire. And His fire is love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Live slow, die whenever, become one with the Force
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #7383 on: August 15, 2016, 04:06:25 PM »
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #7384 on: September 01, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
Football starts today.

Toledo vs Arkansas State tomorrow.  Toledo and WMU are decent "group of five candidates" with BGSU and Northern Illinois having outside, but not impossible chances in.the MAC.

Notre Dame looks like it has a decent enough schedule with Michigan State, Stanford, and USC being the big tests.

The Big Ten is hopefully back to what it should be and improving every year.  I'm picking darkhorse MSU to win, mostly cause I love dantonio and I think OSU and Michigan are a year away from.being mega powers.  Either way, the east looks Like one of the toughest divisions in football, Penn state I think will be relevant again this year.  The West is improving as well, Wisc, Nebraska, and Iowa could all be 9-11 win programs, plus Lovie Smith is coaching Illinois, and Minnesota may be a dark horse.  Interesting stuff

• Merarches
« Reply #7385 on: September 02, 2016, 03:03:42 AM »
Football starts today.

Toledo vs Arkansas State tomorrow.  Toledo and WMU are decent "group of five candidates" with BGSU and Northern Illinois having outside, but not impossible chances in.the MAC.

Notre Dame looks like it has a decent enough schedule with Michigan State, Stanford, and USC being the big tests.

The Big Ten is hopefully back to what it should be and improving every year.  I'm picking darkhorse MSU to win, mostly cause I love dantonio and I think OSU and Michigan are a year away from.being mega powers.  Either way, the east looks Like one of the toughest divisions in football, Penn state I think will be relevant again this year.  The West is improving as well, Wisc, Nebraska, and Iowa could all be 9-11 win programs, plus Lovie Smith is coaching Illinois, and Minnesota may be a dark horse.  Interesting stuff

Happy days are here again!  :) :) :)

ROLL TIDE!!!!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Saxon

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #7386 on: September 16, 2016, 08:24:02 PM »
Football: Liverpool (I also keep an eye on Bayern)

Hockey: Toronto Maple Leafs

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7387 on: October 26, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWDTs2vCRMg

Preach It brother Leach!  I'm now rooting for WSU to win the Pac 12!  Beat Washigton, win the apple bowl (heck it'll probably help the Big10 out anyway).

Go Tribe!  O-H-I-O
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:21:13 PM by William T »

Offline TheTrisagion

• Delusional Overlord
  • Hoplitarches
  • And the cat is back again.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7388 on: October 26, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
The Cubs and the Indians. I'm happy both of those historically downtrodden teams have made it. It is nice to see new faces at the top. Now if only the Pirates make it next year...
The term planet earth is an innovation which has arisen in recent centuries with the error of heliocentrism.

If one wants to confess a pure doctrine of Orthodoxy, they should be careful not to refer to the earth as a planet, unlike the current Pope as well as Patriarch Kirill and Patriarch Bartholomew, who regularly speak in error when they refer to our planet earth.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7389 on: October 26, 2016, 07:21:37 PM »
Now if only the Pirates make it next year...

Those Cubs are gonna kill us :-\ We went 4-14 against them this year, and I'm not sure if it'll be any easier next year (we went 29-28 against the rest of the division, which is obviously not good enough, though still better than our overall record I guess)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7390 on: October 28, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
After thinking about it a couple days I'm more optimistic. I have no idea if Cutch will ever play at an All-Star level again, but even if he just rises to the level of 'solid,' the outfield could still be one of the better in the league; Bell will be up, having the same strengths (offense) and weaknesses (defense) that got Pedro a ticket out of town, but it might still be an upgrade; Jung Ho Kang will hopefully be healthy (and exonerated?); but in the end it'll come down to a rotation filled with guys big on potential but short on MLB experience (or with Cole as probable ace, not enough consistency yet). Also, hopefully with Sofield gone and someone new in we can stop having so many baserunning mistakes, and along with moving Cutch to a corner have a stronger outfield D.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7391 on: October 30, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »

Offline scamandrius

• Pray for our next president
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #7392 on: October 30, 2016, 10:13:11 PM »

Thank God Cleveland has the Indians and the Cavaliers.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #7394 on: November 05, 2016, 09:12:37 PM »

Your signature is quite appropriate for this picture.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7395 on: November 17, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • recovering zealot
  • Faith: ortho-gonnabe
  • Jurisdiction: goaa
« Reply #7396 on: November 17, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
Hockey would be more popular if the commish would just admit we hockey fans watch more for the hits and fights than the goals, dekes and saves. Every other sport you get in a fight and you're gone! Hockey? Nope, just chill in this box for 5 minutes...  ;)
Crist aras! So├żlice he aras! (on West Saxon Englisch)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #7397 on: November 22, 2016, 10:44:24 PM »
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7398 on: November 22, 2016, 11:55:56 PM »
Not sure about that there name, but I think the logo is awesome.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7399 on: November 23, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
Great pregame Ohio State - Michigan matchup this week with Toledo (9-2) and #14 Western Michigan on Friday.  Winner plays for the MAC title, Western is playing for a big time bowl bid.  This is the Frazier - Ali battle of the MAC.  Interestingly the MAC and the Big 10 both beat the top 2 contenders of the Big 12.  Ohio State beat Oklahoma, Central Michigan beat OK State (on a controversial, but AMAZING play).

PJ "Row the Boat" FLeck will be coach of the year and Corey Davis may receive some  Heisman votes.  Toledo's defense isn't quite as good as last year, but their rushing attack is still in top form with Hunt. 

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7400 on: November 26, 2016, 01:15:08 PM »
The biggest college football game of the year so far is today and... my local ABC station isn't showing it. Instead I get to watch Pitt vs. Syracuse. Wow. Much amazing. Yay. Hooray for football. I can't even watch it online, because it's blocked in this area... because they want me to watch Pitt vs. Syracuse.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7401 on: November 26, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »
The biggest college football game of the year so far is today and... my local ABC station isn't showing it. Instead I get to watch Pitt vs. Syracuse. Wow. Much amazing. Yay. Hooray for football. I can't even watch it online, because it's blocked in this area... because they want me to watch Pitt vs. Syracuse.

Too bad. It's a pretty damn good game. Now going into OT.  Both teams had better figure out how to score TDs.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7402 on: November 26, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
Wow.  First OT in the series between Michigan and Ohio State.  Great game.

Congrats, Ohio State!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7403 on: November 26, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
The consolation, I guess, is that the Pitt game turned out to be a slug-fest and at least wasn't boring. With less than a minute left the score is 76 (pit) to 61 (syr).

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #7404 on: November 26, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
The consolation, I guess, is that the Pitt game turned out to be a slug-fest and at least wasn't boring. With less than a minute left the score is 76 (pit) to 61 (syr).

Damn.  Never realized Syracuse had such a potent offense.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7405 on: December 03, 2016, 05:37:44 PM »
Navy lost, that means that Western Michigan is going to the Cotton Bowl!  Second MAC team.  Toledo, who beat two ranked teams, had a good chance to do so last year but choked on Northern Illinois and Western Michigan.

Is this Western as good as last years Toledo, or the Northern teams with Jordan Lynch?  That's an interesting question.  Fleck is undoubtedly a great coach, and he has been recruiting at the top of the MAC for the past four years (he took them from 1-11 to 13-0 in 4 years and his recruiting classes have been top 35 classes).  Zach Terell and Corey Davis are great players, both may receive a few Heisman votes. We'll see.  Maybe Western could give the MAC her first win in the big boy bowls, let's hope.  Who knows, maybe next year, where Western will be a stronger team (though probably not led by Fleck) and a stronger schedule, they play MSU and USC and a stronger MAC..if they run the schedule they could make the playoffs.

How good is the Big Ten?  Penn State and Wisconsin  are in the championship game.  That's 5 different teams who've made the championship game in the past 3 years.  That shows diversity.  I'm rooting for Wisconsin.  It gives OSU a better chance of getting in, I think Wisconsin has a better chance to win a playoff game in their own right over Penn State, and it gives the Big ten a better chance to get two teams in the playoffs.  Unfortunately, the Big Ten may not have any team as good as Alabama, who other than maybe Miami and USC is my most hated team of all time.  I do think Wisconsin could beat Clemson or Washington though.  I'm not sure if Penn State could do that.  Great year for Penn State though.  Truly one of the big surprises of the year.  Top 3 coaches of the year:  PJ Fleck, James Franklin, Mike Macintyre

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:45:35 PM by William T »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7406 on: December 03, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
They are 👏👏 Penn State 👏👏

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7407 on: December 03, 2016, 05:53:02 PM »
They are 👏👏 Penn State 👏👏

We'll see.  I'm not rooting against them.  This is going to be a fun game to watch.

That Big Ten East is about to get really really nasty.  Penn State and that team from Ann Arbor seem to be back to par, and MSU is going to be back to par next year as well.  That may be the toughest division in football now.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7408 on: December 04, 2016, 12:48:51 AM »
These past two Big Ten Championship games have been awesome.  Who would ever have thought Penn State would win the Big Ten this year?  I guess they're back. 

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #7409 on: December 04, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
Its enough College Football to run the numbers for sports betting.

• Merarches
« Reply #7410 on: December 05, 2016, 06:00:37 AM »
ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!

ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!   ROLL TIDE!

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7411 on: December 05, 2016, 07:20:00 PM »
Western Michigan is going to the Cotton Bowl vs Wisconsin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFv_PoZ2iP0

Do they have a chance?  Doubtful..Wisconsin always scares me.  I wish they would have drawn Florida, Louisville or someone like that.  But go Broncos.

Toledo has..... Troy (????)

Ohio State has to dispatch of Clemson in the semi final.  Hopefully Washington beats Alabama, that seems highly doubtful though.  Did Penn State get hosed?  Maybe, but I'm from Ohio, they're my Big Ten team, and I do think OSU is the better team and either them, Michigan, or even Wisconsin have a better chance of beating Alabama than Penn State does. 

The Big Ten and MAC have brutal bowl schedules again.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7412 on: December 14, 2016, 10:08:37 PM »
http://www.espn.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/117225/why-was-the-state-of-texas-so-bad-in-2016

I haven't felt this kind of Schadenfreude since Ohio State beat Alabama in the championship and the SEC tanked in the bowl season.

• Merarches
« Reply #7413 on: January 11, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
Well, that was a tough loss. Another incredible National Championship game between two great teams. Last year we edged them out, and this year Clemson edged us out. And as much as I hate to lose, I'm really OK with this. If we had to lose to someone, I'm glad it was to a first class Christian guy like Dabo Swinney (who also happens to be a former BAMA player and former BAMA assistant coach.) Clemson was the better team, and they deserved to win. But I'm still extremely proud of our team and all that they accomplished this year. I honestly didn't expect us to even get this far since we lost our Heisman Trophy running back and started a true freshman at QB. So this team exceeded my expectations. And I'm really proud of our senior class. They won three straight SEC Championships, made three straight appearances in the college football playoffs, and won a National Championship. Amazing.

So congrats to the Clemson Tigers. Great win for their program. It's not easy to defeat the mighty Crimson Tide. And I expect that we'll just keep on ROLLING. Saban has already put together another great recruiting class, and our freshman QB Jalen Hurts will only get better and better in the next few years. So I feel just fine. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the better team, regroup, and start working towards the future. And the future is bright!

:) ROLL TIDE! :)

Selam
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:14:24 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +