Author Topic: Post your favorite quotes!  (Read 31569 times)

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• Goths and rivetheads are entering the Kingdom of God before me
  • OC.net guru
  • Screwing up the Church since 2017
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
Re: Post your favorite quotes!
« Reply #405 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »
"Unfortunately, the models were right."
--Forecaster Blake
Too many theologists, not enough theologians.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #406 on: September 11, 2018, 05:28:19 PM »
Some of my favorite quotes from Ernest Hemingway:

Selam

"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #407 on: September 11, 2018, 05:45:34 PM »
What's a "Metaphysical Bible Dictionary?"
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #408 on: September 11, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
I like Hemingway a lot.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #409 on: September 11, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
What's a "Metaphysical Bible Dictionary?"

Well, it's definitely not an Orthodox publication. It's popular among many Rastafarians, and it does have some good stuff in it. It was composed by Charles Fillmore https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fillmore_(Unity_Church), who founded the Unity church (not to be confused with the Unitarian church.) But I would caution those who are not Orthodox to stay away from it.

https://www.amazon.com/Metaphysical-Dictionary-Charles-Fillmore-Reference/dp/0871590670/ref=pd_sbs_14_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0871590670&pd_rd_r=195b4e19-b616-11e8-8e51-357518f34f72&pd_rd_w=sh5Zy&pd_rd_wg=eoROp&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=0bb14103-7f67-4c21-9b0b-31f42dc047e7&pf_rd_r=59BKAQ5QJKWD3GDT200T&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=59BKAQ5QJKWD3GDT200T

Selam
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 07:05:09 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Briven

• Pray for me, please! Baseball loving Old Believer.
  • Elder
  • Господи Ісусе Христе Сыне Божїй помилѹй мѧ!
  • Faith: Old Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Belokrinitskaya Hierarchy
« Reply #410 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:16 PM »
It is impossible to convince the fool that there are pleasures superior to those we share with the rest of the animals.

- Nicolas Gomez Davila
“God,”
The words rumbled:
“There is much suffering,
But the church is alive. "

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness
Comes in the clothing of fortune.

St. Avvakum, pray for us!

St. Ambrose, pray for us!

I change my picture daily to reflect feast days. Ask me!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #411 on: September 13, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #412 on: September 14, 2018, 12:27:07 AM »
It is impossible to convince the fool that there are pleasures superior to those we share with the rest of the animals.

- Nicolas Gomez Davila

That's good ```

Offline Sethrak

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Etchmiadzin, Armenia
« Reply #413 on: September 14, 2018, 12:28:48 AM »
Coming together ~ that's a start ~ working together ~ that's progress ~ staying together ~ that's success ```

Henry Ford
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:29:23 AM by Sethrak »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #414 on: September 14, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »

Not from this book, but his For Whom the Bell Tolls had a lot of impact on me as a child for its portrayal of death. For some reason, the death of El Sordo was the part that haunted me the most.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

May the Blessed Light shine Forth

Offline RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Protokentarchos
  • Pavel Florensky and Sergei Bulgakov
  • Faith: Neo-Patristic Synthesis
  • Jurisdiction: The thrilling romance of Holy Orthodoxy
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
Who knew Nietzsche could be so honest?

"What does man actually know about himself, aside from how much of a loser he is?" - Friedrich Nietzsche
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »
Who knew Nietzsche could be so honest?

"What does man actually know about himself, aside from how much of a loser he is?" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Lol, i could see that on a poster in a college dorm.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »
"At the very moment the Knickerbockers first tested their new rules in Hoboken, slaves were picking cotton in Charleston. When the blue and the grey weren't slaughtering each other, they were throwing the ball around the blood-stained fields. When Jackie Robinson crossed the foul line, the country stopped to watch him. And when steel fell on Americans at Normandy and in Lower Manhattan, baseball stopped to honor them. History is made every day, with every step, every word, every pitch. For two hundred years, baseball has been carving its own way across time, through generations and war and struggle, becoming a part of the story of America.

On August 9, 1974, the Rangers walked off the Tigers on a single by Mike Hargrove in the 14th inning. The Giants' Ron Reed threw a six-hit shutout in Chicago. And Richard Nixon resigned the presidency.

On July 20, 1969, Ferguson Jenkins blanked the Phillies with nine strikeouts, Gaylord Perry hit his first career home run, and Apollo 11 touched down on the surface of the moon.

On August 18, 1920, a Wally Pipp homer put the Yankees over the Indians, Eddie Rommel outlasted Lefty Williams, and the Nineteenth Amendment gave women the right to vote.

There are two sources for this data: the history book, and the box score. There is no difference between the two, except that the chronicle of baseball statistics achieves with ease what the historians can only aspire to: pure, unbiased fact.

"Mazeroski homers to left." The sentence is so innocuous, so unassuming, despite the unbelievable legend it represents.

"Roberts steals second." A revolution began with those three words, yet they seem so harmless on the page.

It is the miraculous fortune of our time that we have unfettered access to the whole of baseball history, a few clicks and swipes and it's there. Even when we made do with unwieldy encyclopedias, there was a sense of completeness and permanence to the minutiae of the sport, that every moment of it was etched indelibly into stone, or papyrus, or retrosheet. You can dig this stuff up in ten thousand years, and no one will know who Stormy Daniels was but they will know that someone named Boog Powell doubled and drove in a run on May 5, 1975. On that day, babies were born, teenagers shared their first kiss, countless personal milestones and tragedies were realized, and Boog Powell had a good day at the plate.

And what really makes baseball so wondrous, so sacred and beautiful, is that it's constantly unfolding in front of us, as relentlessly as the universe is expanding, and every pitch you see is being recorded. You are watching history. The memory is in your fragile, mortal brain, but it's validated by the dozen guys in the press box who are preserving it for the ages, and the hundreds of amateur artisans filling out the grid from the bleachers. It's all there, and it always will be.

On September 7, 2003, the Rangers held a 4-3 lead as they batted in the top of the seventh at the Metrodome. Rafael Palmeiro stood in against Grant Balfour with one out. He took a pitch, and then whiffed on the second. The third pitch he connected with, but it popped behind him and out of play. Foul. It's right there in the box score. "Foul."

That "Foul" sailed beneath the sky of gloomy off-white canvas, over the lower deck, and descended upon section 227, row 4, seat 7. It landed in my hands. A clean catch. It had a scuff mark and smelled like what I'm sure heaven smells like. In my mind it still does.

There's not a lot in this world that I cherish as much as the game of baseball. As it has done for America for two centuries, it has been there for me, as a constant, as a distraction, as a temptress of hope. In my religion, Abner Doubleday fastened from his rib a bat of mighty ash and saw that it was good, and sent us the Babe to forgive our sins. I go to my cathedral and sing the hymn of the flag and take the sacrament of hot dog and Budweiser.

So when a piece of the game leapt from its stage and graced me, I was humbled, but I was also uplifted. Because that "Foul" in the box score is me. I was now a part of history, a ludicrously insignificant, yet joyfully eternal part of baseball. No one else knows what that "Foul" means, but to me it's the single best word ever written about the game. It connects me to the past. And to the future."

- anonymous guy on Reddit
“God,”
The words rumbled:

“How long, Archpriest, are we to suffer thus?” I answered: “Until our very death, Markovna!” And she replied, with a sigh: “So be it, Petrovich, let us plod on.” - Life of Avvakum by Himself

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »
That was poetic.

Offline Briven

• Elder
« Reply #419 on: October 07, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »
“My convictions are the same as those of an old woman praying in the corner of a church.”

This is in a book by Nicolas Gomez Davila which also has this epigraph:

Then, when she had her medal, she looked at it, and a smile of beatitude spread over her face; and as she walked away they could hear her muttering “I’ll give it to our cure up home, to say some masses for me!”

“What fanaticism!” exclaimed the chemist, leaning across to the notary.

“God,”
The words rumbled:

Nastasya, Nastasya, be
patient and do not cry:
Not every happiness

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #420 on: October 14, 2018, 01:19:21 AM »
"There is no love in this world anymore." - the Buzzcocks
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.