Author Topic: Dear Cadence: OC.net's Advice Column  (Read 19889 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Dear Cadence: OC.net's Advice Column
« Reply #225 on: September 05, 2017, 02:06:13 AM »
Dear Raphael,

Only if you brewed it yourself from scratch.  Think of how Moses makes his beer.  Hebrews it!
This one felt so much like Christmas family dinner I must buy paraphernalia and brew my own until then.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #226 on: September 18, 2017, 10:24:25 AM »
My dearest Cadence,

As I prepared to take a shower today, shortly after turning the water on, I looked down (without glasses) and saw a black shape moving around. I put my glasses back on forthwith, and saw what I feared I would see: a spider. Now with most bugs I try to be a gentleman and good liberal and release them back into the wild. No harm no foul. However, spiders always run, so their death is an unfortunate necessity. Anyway, I saw no need to muck up my beautiful tub with foul spider guts, so instead I simply washed it down the drain. All well and good.* Yet fears remain. What if it had laid eggs? What if these eggs are non-discoverable--for example in some light fixture or in the heating vents, such that I could not find them? Is there some way I can prepare for these dastardly creatures, should they come? What numbers of these child spiders might I expect? Are there traps or sprays that one can use?

Sincerely,

Squicked in PA

*Despite what that horror movie 'Arachnaphobia' would have us believe!
“The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” - Brennan Manning

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »
Dear Asteriktos,

If you build it (the Kingdom of Heaven on earth), he (Angel of extermination) will come.

Cadence
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
Dear Cadence,

What's love got to do, got to do with it?
Dear Asteriktos,

First we must ask: what is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more!

Dear Mina,

I'm afraid that can't be helped. You see: I'm dirty, mean and mighty unclean. I'm a wanted man... public enemy number one, understand? So lock up your daughter, lock up your wife, lock up your back door, and run for your life. The mod is back in town! Don't you mess me 'round.

Smooches,
Cadenzze
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
When the mod's in the thread, ma!
Drop it like it's hot...Drop it like it's hot...Drop it like it's hot...
When the trolls try to get at you,
Lock it like it's hot...Lock it like it's hot...Lock it like it's hot...
And if a user get an attitude,
Warn it like it's hot...Warn it like it's hot...Warn it like it's hot...
She got guns on her arm, but she pouring out love,
And she roll the best thread, Z-Zizzle's got it goin on!

-CadiZZle
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
When the mod's in the thread, ma!
Drop it like it's hot...Drop it like it's hot...Drop it like it's hot...
When the trolls try to get at you,
Lock it like it's hot...Lock it like it's hot...Lock it like it's hot...
And if a user get an attitude,
Warn it like it's hot...Warn it like it's hot...Warn it like it's hot...
She got guns on her arm, but she pouring out love,
And she roll the best thread, Z-Zizzle's got it goin on!

-CadiZZle

POM.
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #231 on: September 29, 2017, 08:18:19 PM »
As a follow-up to my last post, I have now seen two baby spiders over the last several days, each perhaps 2mm long. Sure they're harmless now, but what about when they grow up? They probably know that I killed their mom.
“The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” - Brennan Manning

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #232 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »
Rule number one:  never leave survivors.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #233 on: October 01, 2017, 12:08:15 AM »
As a follow-up to my last post, I have now seen two baby spiders over the last several days, each perhaps 2mm long. Sure they're harmless now, but what about when they grow up? They probably know that I killed their mom.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #234 on: October 01, 2017, 10:21:54 AM »
Rule number one:  never leave survivors.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Is there a theological justification for such 'total war'? Er, never mind, I know what I have to do now...

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #235 on: October 01, 2017, 10:16:56 PM »
The soda that I drank this morning contained one dead black fly, and then there was another black fly truly pestering me and a solid majority of my co-workers at Squires Golf Club later.
So I decided to drink beer today. I also said the morning prayers.
By the end of the day, I had lead it outside (see outside).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:23:28 PM by mcarmichael »
Coach Mike Mularkey: "I an only a humble cog, in a much larger (and more glorious) machine (television)."
To my shame, I may have been very drunk when I wrote this.
"Learn meditation." - Sun Tzu

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #236 on: October 01, 2017, 10:39:22 PM »
oops.

Dear Cadence,

How can I get the new Nike's?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:45:49 PM by mcarmichael »
Coach Mike Mularkey: "I an only a humble cog, in a much larger (and more glorious) machine (television)."

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • No cocaine
« Reply #237 on: October 01, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »
Never make plans unless of absolute necessity. Did anyone say that yet? It's the jibe that I like.
While we're dispensing free advice, I mean. Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:42:29 PM by mcarmichael »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #238 on: October 02, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
oops.

Dear Cadence,

How can I get the new Nike's?

Dearest mcarmichael,

Buy or steal them.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
Every time I go into my bathroom now I look all around for spiders--in the shower, behind the door, in the light fixture. Let me be clear: I'm not paranoid, I'm just vigilant.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »
Then your vigilance is a virtue...

But it could also lead to insects that were kept in check by your spiders.  Your vigilance must spread to all insects :P

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #242 on: October 08, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »
Now now, remember...you are not paranoid. You are vigilant!

Cadence

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »
Only one spider sighting in the last seven weeks. I'm giving the all clear. Thanks everyone for helping me get through this difficult time!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #244 on: Yesterday at 05:04:33 PM »
So as it relates to spider attacks, I was thinking last night about the pros and cons of beds like this:

versus beds like this:

The first type seems to me to have a fatal flaw in that it gives exponentially more area which a spider can use to climb onto the bed to get at you. There's no way you can defend against all the places from which the spider can climb onto you with this kind of frame. However, after further thought I'm not so sure this disadvantage doesn't get canceled out in the long run. With the second type of frame the spider is unlikely to find a way very often up into the bed using standard assault tactics. So, what then? Does the spider quit the field in defeat? Unlikely. They are much more likely to climb the walls and develop air-borne attacks. And who can deny that spiders dropping from the ceiling while you sleep is orders of magnitude more disturbing than their merely climing up onto you?

Is there a solution to this problem?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:06:16 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #245 on: Yesterday at 05:26:14 PM »

In my recent experiences...most of the spiders which happened to join me in bed, descended upon me from the ceiling, versus climbing up from the floor....in which case a canopy bed may be the way to go.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #246 on: Today at 01:22:13 AM »
Creepy, crawly... Creepy, crawly... Creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly, creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly, creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly, creepy, creepy, crawly, crawly...