Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 637114 times)

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #6930 on: June 21, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
Max Scherzer is a scholar and a gentleman great pitcher and a class act
Pirates are my favourite NL team, but Tabata leaned into that pitch.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6931 on: June 23, 2015, 02:25:57 AM »
Former MLB player Darryl Hamilton is reported to have died in a murder-suicide. His girlfriend is suspected to have shot him several times before shooting herself. Hamilton last played for the New York Mets in 2001.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13130327/former-major-leaguer-darryl-hamilton-killed-murder-suicide-police-say

Lord, have mercy!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:26:50 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6932 on: June 23, 2015, 02:30:00 AM »
That is awful. Lord have mercy.  :'(

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6933 on: June 27, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »

This pic took me by surprise, cause Malkin (on the left) is like 6'2", so he isn't exactly small. Apparently the guy on the right, who the Penguins just drafted, is the Russian Nikita Pavlychev, and he's listed at 6'7".

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #6934 on: July 03, 2015, 03:01:17 PM »

My jaw dropped seeing England lose to Japan because they scored a goal on themselves. I felt bad for her, could you imagine waiting four years to play in the world cup getting to the semi finals and losing because you accidentally score the wrong goal, she would not stop crying. I hope her teammates go easy on her, jeez.

Looks like we get a repeat of 2011 USA vs Japan. Hopefully America can pull it off this time.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:09:39 PM by Peacemaker »
This user is no longer active and is boycotting OC.net for supporting ecumenism with heretics (Oriental Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Protestants). Pray for those trapped in this great heresy of our time and with God's grace to see their error and come into communion with the true faith of Eastern Orthodoxy, handed down by Christ.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6935 on: July 06, 2015, 01:00:09 AM »

My jaw dropped seeing England lose to Japan because they scored a goal on themselves. I felt bad for her, could you imagine waiting four years to play in the world cup getting to the semi finals and losing because you accidentally score the wrong goal, she would not stop crying. I hope her teammates go easy on her, jeez.

Looks like we get a repeat of 2011 USA vs Japan. Hopefully America can pull it off this time.
Well, I think they did.

USA 5, Japan 2

By scoring 3 goals in the first 13 minutes, Carli Lloyd became the third fastest to score a hat trick in Women's World Cup history. Her rocket goal from the half-field line was a sight to behold!

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #6936 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:22 PM »
R.I.P. Ken "Snake" Stabler!

One of the best. And a wonderful person as well. I never quite got used to listening to Eli Gold without the Snake alongside on the BAMA football radio broadcast. I met Ken Stabler once at the last Iron Bowl at Legion Field. He was such a genuinely nice man. He gave me his autograph and I will always treasure it. Roll on to glory Snake, Roll on to Glory!

May his memory be eternal! +++

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ken-stabler--raiders-legend--passes-away-at-age-69-225802393.html

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos save us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH but my heart belongs to the JP
« Reply #6937 on: July 09, 2015, 11:07:49 PM »
anyone catching the UFC show this weekend? 8)
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on me a Sinner!

• Merarches
« Reply #6938 on: July 11, 2015, 08:04:52 AM »
This is my tribute to Ken Stabler, aka "The Snake" - some pictures of the legendary man accompanied by his favorite song, "Sweet Home Alabama."

ROLL TIDE and Rest in Peace. +++

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP_ZDp0Ve8M

Selam
""Love is a dangerous thing. It will crush you if you trust it. But without it you can never be whole. Love crucifies, but love saves. We will either be saved together with love, or damned alone without it."    Selam, +GMK+

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6939 on: July 12, 2015, 12:25:38 AM »
Cards/Bucs. 14th inning. 5 hours and still going. strange game. I hate talking about refs/umps changing a game, cause fans use that so often as a lame excuse for losing, but that may have happened here (the ump missed a strikeout, and being allowed to continue his at bat the player then hit a home run).

Cutch wins it with a walk off homerun... this gon be good 2nd half of season...

• Merarches
« Reply #6940 on: July 22, 2015, 11:58:38 PM »
JAMAICA!!!

The Reggae Boyz from the likkle rock rise up and slew Goliath USA - 2-1 - to advance to the Gold Cup Championship!

Great day for Jamaica!  :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-fc-yahoo/jamaica-deals-u-s--unexpected-2-1-loss-to-reach-gold-cup-final-001959457.html;_ylt=AwrBT7ozZrBVk54AW4lXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMmNoam01BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjA0ODZfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Selam
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:59:09 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus »

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6941 on: August 02, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
Some interesting info about approaches to roster management/salaries in the NHL

It's ostensibly about the Pens, but is relevant for everyone (and has league-wide stats)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6942 on: August 09, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »
Former NFL player and broadcaster Frank Gifford has died at 84. Rest in peace.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nfl-legend-frank-gifford-passes-away-84-n406761

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #6943 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
JAMAICA!!!

The Reggae Boyz from the likkle rock rise up and slew Goliath USA - 2-1 - to advance to the Gold Cup Championship!

Great day for Jamaica!  :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-fc-yahoo/jamaica-deals-u-s--unexpected-2-1-loss-to-reach-gold-cup-final-001959457.html;_ylt=AwrBT7ozZrBVk54AW4lXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyMmNoam01BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjA0ODZfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Selam

What's the Gold Cup Championship? ;D ;D ??? ???
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
« Reply #6944 on: August 09, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
Former NFL player and broadcaster Frank Gifford has died at 84. Rest in peace.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nfl-legend-frank-gifford-passes-away-84-n406761

May he rest in peace.
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6945 on: August 15, 2015, 01:48:20 AM »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #6946 on: August 15, 2015, 10:22:09 AM »
A Padres player hit for the cycle!

http://m.mlb.com/news/2015/08/14/143243112/matt-kemp-hits-first-padres-cycle

A first for every team.
I am not worried as the Giants will beat them again.  8)
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

• Merarches
« Reply #6948 on: August 18, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
Here's my review of the new Nick Saban biography:

I just finished reading SABAN: The Making of a Coach, the unauthorized biography of Nick Saban, written by Monte Burke. Judging from Coach Saban’s general disapproval of unauthorized biographies*, I was afraid that this book might be an overtly biased and unfairly negative caricature of the Alabama head football coach. But pleasantly, I found the book to be a fair, thorough, and highly readable examination of arguably the greatest college football coach in the game today.

Those who lack objectivity – be they Saban detractors or Saban worshippers – will find plenty of ammunition within these page to support their blindly subjective opinions of the man. But the objective reader will discover that Nick Saban is a complex human being whose success is fueled by a variety of sometimes seemingly paradoxical factors. On the one hand Coach Saban is impatient, demanding, intolerant, and impersonal. On the other hand he is compassionate, emotional, forgiving, and kind. He expects the same standards of preparation, commitment, work ethic, and attention to detail from his staff and players that he demands of himself.  Thus he finds it hard to understand why others don’t work as hard, try as hard, or care as much as he does. And understandably, it's not easy to work with or play for a man with such high standards.

However, Monte Burke also shows us a side of Coach Saban that would surprise most people. This book demonstrates that Saban is not some robotic mercenary who is simply concerned about wins and losses and financial reward. We discover that Nick Saban is ultimately driven by a desire to improve people’s lives, to instill in them the values and principles that his father instilled in him – the work ethic and morals that enabled him to escape a dark life of breathing coal dust in the mines deep beneath the West Virginia earth. We learn that Saban is a man who is quick to give people second chances. We see that he goes out of his way to help troubled athletes and colleagues whose careers are faltering. We see a man who can weep with a grieving player and graciously overlook the insults and slanders of rival coaches. We find that at the root of his imperious demands and sometimes impossibly high standards there is a desire to simply help other human beings reach their full potential.

Monte Burke quotes a variety of people in this biography, from those who know him well to those who have dealt with him only briefly. To be sure, there are some very unflattering comments and strong criticisms about Coach Saban – mostly from unnamed sources. But what comes across clearly throughout the book is that the majority of players, assistant coaches, and colleagues who have accepted Saban’s demands and bought into his “Process” have nothing but praise and gratitude for his positive influence upon their lives.

This biography does not sugarcoat Saban’s controversies or gloss over his mistakes throughout the years. But it provides a balanced and unbiased assessment of the facts, leaving the reader to form his own conclusions.

Greatness is always accompanied by controversy. The most successful human beings are still human beings, and they are not immune from sins and mistakes. Monte Burke shows us that behind Nick Saban’s greatness is a man, a human being, a passionate and flawed person like all of us. But what makes him different from the rest of us is his willingness to constantly strive for excellence – not perfection, but excellence. And if we can learn anything from Nick Saban’s greatness, that is the lesson: Perfection is unattainable for any human being, but every human being can be excellent in their effort and their attitude. And that’s all that Coach Saban has ever demanded – from his players, from his staff, and from himself.

I highly recommend this book. You don’t have to be a BAMA fan or a Nick Saban fan to enjoy it. If you are at all interested in the motivation, drive, and psychology of someone who has overcome adversity, achieved tremendous success, and positively influenced countless people, then you will benefit from reading this biography. Hell, I think even Auburn fans can learn something from this book (those that can read that is.) ;-)

(* “I’m against unauthorized biographies – for anyone. There’s only one expert on my life, and that’s me.” ~ Nick Saban ~)

Selam, +GMK+

http://www.amazon.com/Saban-Making-Coach-Monte-Burke-ebook/dp/B00P42WWXW

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6949 on: August 21, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
Congrats to Tigers pitcher Daniel Norris, who hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat--nay, make that his first plate appearance at any level of professional baseball, for he didn't bat at all in his four years in the Minor Leagues--and that to dead center field. That makes Norris the first AL pitcher ever to hit a homer at Wrigley Field. (Well, prior to the start of interleague play in 1997, the last time the Cubs played an AL team at home was the 1945 World Series.) Norris will probably never hit another home run the rest of his career, especially if he continues to pitch in the American League.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:18:37 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6950 on: August 21, 2015, 09:28:50 PM »
Pennsylvania is leading Missouri 18-0 in only the third inning, at the Little League World Series!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6951 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
The Houston Astros just threw a no-hitter.
I'm waiting for a news update so I can post a link.

Yep, Mike Fiers in a 3-0 win over the Dodgers.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25277253/astros-mike-fiers-throws-no-hitter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:50:02 PM by biro »

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6952 on: August 22, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
I guess this could turn into the best outfield in baseball... or 2 years from now it could be a nearly-complete bust.

Polanco - 283 AB / 47 R / 7 HR / 33 RBI / 13 SB / .237 AVG / .310 OBP / .657 OPS / 0.0 WAR
McCutchen - 531 AB / 85 R / 24 HR / 76 RBI / 17 SB / .313 AVG / .408 OBP / .948 OPS / 6.4 WAR
Marte - 473 AB / 70 R / 13 HR / 54 RBI / 27 SB / .290 AVG / .356 OBP / .811 OPS / 4.9 WAR

Projected for 2015...
Polanco - 588 AB / 80 R / 9 HR / 51 RBI / 27 SB / .260 AVG / .329 OBP / .714 OPS
McCutchen - 570 AB / 92 R / 24 HR / 104 RBI / 8 SB / .293 AVG / .395 OBP / .898 OPS
Marte - 577 AB / 91 R / 20 HR / 82 RBI / 32 SB / .290 AVG. / .341 OBP / .801 OPS

Well that ain't the best offensive outfield in baseball, whatever it is.

Also, Pedro Alvarez continues to be maddening. He is going to be under 30 HR again this year, but has a slightly better average than usual. He has come on strong of late, after there was talk for a while about moving him out of the line up (or traded). They moved him from 3rd to 1st base because of his horrible defense... and he is leading NL first basemen in errors. By a lot... he has 16 and the next worst guy on the list has 6. And really, at this point, it's not that we don't have options. If they're going to play Mercer at short, who is spotty at the plate but the best defender on the team, then they still have Kang, Walker, and Harrison to fill out the infield, all of whom are better IMO than Alvarez or Ramirez both offensively and defensively. They could get Alvarez in there a couple times a week against pitchers he could do well against, and have Harrison give one of the OF guys a break on those days.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6953 on: August 22, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
Taipei vs. Canada playing now. Some big kids on these teams.

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6954 on: August 24, 2015, 10:33:07 AM »
PA beat SC in a nailbiter in LL World Series. Normally, I don't care about such things, but the PA team is located about 10 minutes away from where I live, so thats about as hometown as it gets.
Praise to be kelly the all-benificent for granting me permission to change my sig line.

Obligatory: "It's a mystery! Ask your priest/spiritual father. Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future. Marital fasting."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #6955 on: August 24, 2015, 09:35:41 PM »
Indy car driver Justin Wilson has died at 37. He sustained a head injury in a race this weekend, when a piece of debris on the track bounced and hit him.

Wilson is survived by his wife and two daughters.

:(

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6956 on: August 27, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
Philadelphia 76ers great Darryl Dawkins, the legendary "Chocolate Thunder", has died of a heart attack at 58.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/darryl-dawkins--the-legendary--chocolate-thunder---dies-at-58-204549915.html;_ylt=AwrTccefwN9ViBkAEXYnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZ2Z0NnU2BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjA3MDBfMQRzZWMDc2M-

"Not only did he dunk on you, but he named the dunk!" He's also remembered for shattering two backboards during the 1979-80 NBA season. :o
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:52:18 PM by PeterTheAleut »

• Merarches
« Reply #6957 on: August 28, 2015, 03:55:59 AM »
Philadelphia 76ers great Darryl Dawkins, the legendary "Chocolate Thunder", has died of a heart attack at 58.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/darryl-dawkins--the-legendary--chocolate-thunder---dies-at-58-204549915.html;_ylt=AwrTccefwN9ViBkAEXYnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyZ2Z0NnU2BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjA3MDBfMQRzZWMDc2M-

"Not only did he dunk on you, but he named the dunk!" He's also remembered for shattering two backboards during the 1979-80 NBA season. :o

Oh no! So sad. He was a legend.

Selam

Online Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #6958 on: August 28, 2015, 04:11:11 AM »
Russell Wilson clarifies...

The Seattle Seahawks quarterback told the magazine that he banged his head in the NFC title game against the Green Bay Packers but felt fine the next day because of Reliant Recovery snake oil, in which he is an investor...

"I guess it was perceived wrong. I did not have a concussion. I was saying that I had been consistently drinking the snake oil for a month and a half -- five, seven times a day. And I was like, 'Man, maybe this stuff is helping me out.'"

Anyone with a basic understanding of human physiology Bertstared us when we asked for responses. The only exception was a rep from Gatorade.