Author Topic: Need a new lawnmower  (Read 457 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Need a new lawnmower
« on: August 17, 2017, 04:14:59 PM »
So, my old lawnmower, which was a hand-me-down and probably about as old as my car (2005) decided to finally call it quits today.  We're almost through the lawn mowing season and I suspect there will probably be some deals out there as most people buy a lawnmower before spring, not after.  So, if you have any recommendations for a good mower I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the price between $200-300, if possible.

Thanks.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
  • St. John of Kronstadt, pray for me!
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Need a new lawnmower
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »
As someone who doesn't mow lawns, why not spend a little extra for a Honda?
“The soul that loves God has its rest in God and in God alone. In all the paths that men walk in in the world, they do not attain peace until they draw nigh to hope in God.”

— St. Isaac the Syrian, Homily 56, 89

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Merarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 04:52:14 PM »
The Fiskars manual mower works incredibly well and can be found in some stores going for less than $100.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »
See I'd tell scamandrius just pay a teenager to do it but then I remember he's this guy:

“The soul that loves God has its rest in God and in God alone. In all the paths that men walk in in the world, they do not attain peace until they draw nigh to hope in God.”

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
So, my old lawnmower, which was a hand-me-down and probably about as old as my car (2005) decided to finally call it quits today.  We're almost through the lawn mowing season and I suspect there will probably be some deals out there as most people buy a lawnmower before spring, not after.  So, if you have any recommendations for a good mower I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the price between $200-300, if possible.

Thanks.
Does Consumer Reports have lawn mower ratings?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:51:30 PM by Luke »

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 08:00:32 PM »
See I'd tell scamandrius just pay a teenager to do it but then I remember he's this guy:

I'm Clint Eastwood?  Where's all my money then?  I could definitely afford to let some lousy company cut my grass then.

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:51:11 PM »
Double post.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:51:31 PM by scamandrius »

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• St. John from the Lindisfarne Gospels
  • High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
The Fiskars manual mower works incredibly well and can be found in some stores going for less than $100.
Apparently I went to the wrong stores because I paid that much for the vastly inferior Scotts manual mower...still minimal regrets though.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
Avoid Briggs and Stratton's lower end models. The one I bought two years ago was great for one season, but despite being maintained now needs some kind of mechanical repair with every use. The body is also going to pieces even though I haven't left it in the rain or anything like that.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »
Avoid Briggs and Stratton's lower end models. The one I bought two years ago was great for one season, but despite being maintained now needs some kind of mechanical repair with every use. The body is also going to pieces even though I haven't left it in the rain or anything like that.
Agreed.  Although we did leave ours in the rain. 

Thanks.
I like our Husqvarna self-propelled mower.  It was pricey, but worth saving the trouble of buying a mower again in two years.  I think it's about 4 years old.  It's first problems were the end of last season and the beginning of this one.  I will say that not too many people around here work on Honda lawn mower engines.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »

I've a cheap "Weed Eater" (Walmart brand) that fits that description, and have been mowing my acre lot for 10 yrs with it without issue. 

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 11:53:56 PM »
Upper end Briggs and Stratton's are great.  You can pick one up for around $300 or so.  My uncle has had his for nearly 8 or so years.  I have a Bolens I picked up at Lowe's for about $300.  I've had it for 6 years now with zero trouble.  The key to success is taking care of it.  Like a car. 
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 09:31:56 AM »

I've a cheap "Weed Eater" (Walmart brand) that fits that description, and have been mowing my acre lot for 10 yrs with it without issue.

I had a Weed Eater for about five years, and it worked fine until my kid decided to feed some peacock feathers through the engine while it was running. Locked the whole thing up.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online ZealousZeal

• Ima Xanthippe
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »
I have a red one. It's self-propelled. Buy that one.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
What do you do?  Mulch, bag or both?  Self propelled? I'm guessing you want gas.

I'm used to toro's and hondas and havent had much problem with them.  Our old one may have lasted about a decade without much fuss.  I was more used to bagging my grass.

I never got much into the Lawn Boy mowers.  My aunt and old neighbor had them and I hated using them...I can't remember why. 

What is this "weed eater" object?  Us people who live in non barbarian lands have something called a weed wacker, and to further beautify the lawn we use an edger.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:35:15 PM by William T »

Offline Quinault

• Did you drink water today?
  • Protokentarchos
  • What about frogs? I like frogs!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
I know it sounds old fashioned and weird, but I'd really recommend a scythe. My husband loves it, and its really much easier/faster than you might think. Even though we have 5 acres, a scythe is my husband's preferred method of mowing our field.

Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »
I know it sounds old fashioned and weird, but I'd really recommend a scythe. My husband loves it, and its really much easier/faster than you might think. Even though we have 5 acres, a scythe is my husband's preferred method of mowing our field.

Video on scythes:
https://scythesupply.com/video-how-to-scythe-and-stop-weeding,-watering-and-fertilizing.html

Wow. That's going to be a tough sell, and probably appealing to a very niche group of people.

Is the quality / utility going to be worth it for a person with a 1600 sq foot lawn with various twists, breaks, and crevices that has to be cut 1.5 times a week, and doesn't have any large weeds or odd patches of land on his soil?

the only use I could see for something like that is if I had a teenage son who was getting under my skin and needed to "build character".  But being that I would be giving him a scythe, and depending on how degenerate he was at the emotional age of 16, even that could be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 03:59:40 PM by William T »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 04:13:20 PM »
Actually a scythe is ideal for uneven or oddly shaped areas. Its quiet, no gas, and no problem (actually works best) if the lawn is damp. A blade could literally be handed down to your great-grandchildren; so the expense is worth it in spades.

Offline William T

• Archon
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
Actually a scythe is ideal for uneven or oddly shaped areas. Its quiet, no gas, and no problem (actually works best) if the lawn is damp. A blade could literally be handed down to your great-grandchildren; so the expense is worth it in spades.

And it can cut grass (Kentucky Bluegrass) from 1 1/2" to 1/2" no problem? Better than a mower?  It can sculpt and design a lawn as good as a mower too? And the clean up time for the grass the scythe leaves behind would still beat the time it takes for mowing, filling gas, emptying bags, etc with a lawn mower?

What about Blade maintenance, do actually have to know how to hone a blade, or can you get by with just basic sharpening knowledge?  Or is it possible to just take the blade to someone who knows what they are doing for a reasonable price?

If the scythe can beat the mower in these things, you may have a point. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:36:11 PM by William T »

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »
If you are cutting on a regular basis, its really no different than a mulching mower. People don't generally clean up after mulching mowers. You can sculpt and design better with a single, narrow blade than you can a large machine. Blade maintanence is quite easy, peening is quick/fast, wiping off the blade before honing easy. Scythe seem much more difficult than they really are. If you get a peening jig its practically idiot proof because you would have to try hard to do it incorrectly. With a small yard of 1600 feet, you may not even have to use the whetstone during mowing. You'd just whetstone and hone before use.

Online augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Get a scythe!
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 05:31:16 PM »
Correction; you'd peen and then use the whetstone before use. You have to whetstone after peening because peening creates burrs that have to be knocked off.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 05:38:35 PM »
Video on scythes:

Hey, I know those guys!   ;D

Scythe supply, or the guy in the video? Scythe supply takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to ship, but it is well worth it to get a full outfit from them.

Additional thoughts on the topic:
A sickle is quite awesome for smaller areas too. We use ours around our fruit trees/bushes, although it isn't really that necessary because you can get in so close without damaging the trees with a scythe. Our trees are so small that I'd rather not accidentally chop them down. You can get various blades for a scythe for brush rather than grass, so it definitely isn't a unitasker. A brush blade is shorter and a bit stouter to my understanding, and can be used to cut things like saplings with ease. Our current (and only at the moment) blade is a mixed use blade that can cut grass and brush.

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »
Video on scythes:

Hey, I know those guys!   ;D

Scythe supply, or the guy in the video? Scythe supply takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to ship, but it is well worth it to get a full outfit from them.

Additional thoughts on the topic:
A sickle is quite awesome for smaller areas too. We use ours around our fruit trees/bushes, although it isn't really that necessary because you can get in so close without damaging the trees with a scythe. Our trees are so small that I'd rather not accidentally chop them down. You can get various blades for a scythe for brush rather than grass, so it definitely isn't a unitasker. A brush blade is shorter and a bit stouter to my understanding, and can be used to cut things like saplings with ease. Our current (and only at the moment) blade is a mixed use blade that can cut grass and brush.

The guys in the video.  I think I needed one of those brush blades for our fence line.  There might have been less ire involved.  Maybe; it was sort of a cathartic activity at the time...   :angel:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2017, 06:54:24 PM »
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Online RobS

• Formerly "nothing"
  • Archon
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »

Is this what you do on your afternoon walks Mor?

Offline Quinault

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 09:18:07 PM »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.