Author Topic: Cheerleaders  (Read 181 times)

Offline Sentinel34

• Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Washington State
Cheerleaders
« on: July 26, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »

What do you think of cheerleaders? Should cheerleading be considered a sport? If you had kids would you let them join a cheer squad? Cheerleaders are stereotyped as snobby and dumb. Have you ever met an intelligent cheerleader? Did the cheerleaders you knew get fat after High School?

Offline Raylight

• Conservative Anglican.
  • Archon
  • C.S.Lewis
  • Faith: Christian.
  • Jurisdiction: Anglican Church of Canada.
Re: Cheerleaders
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 12:11:52 AM »
I never met a cheerleader. However, the only time I saw them live was in a festival I attended this year and they seemed nice. I don't think the idea that cheerleaders are snobby is true. Maybe Hollywood showed them as snobby and superficial girls, but who believes in Hollywood anyway.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:17:35 AM by Raylight »
I will continue to label myself Christian, and Anglican, in respect for my baptism. Even though I still struggle with doubts. I don't believe it is fair to dismiss it that easily because of some doubt.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:36:52 AM »
Is that green and white or teal and white? The colors used by my high school were green and white. Go Mustangs!

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:09:51 AM »
I wouldn't let my daughter be a cheerleader at least until college. I wouldn't say it's not a sport, but that many girls may do it for the wrong reasons--ex, to appease men. Given that most high school and lower girls are extraordinarily gullible, dumb, and insecure, I don't think it would be good for a daughter until after she outgrows that.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline William T

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:02:59 AM »
I don't think the idea that cheerleaders are snobby is true. Maybe Hollywood showed them as snobby and superficial girls, but who believes in Hollywood anyway.

Exactly.  It's just a movie cliche that started somewhere  in the 90's for  some odd reason.  To stereotype people like that is toxic.  Funny in the 80's "nerds' were stereotyped negatively, now "jocks" and 'cheer leaders' are...I guess some people never outgrow their high school mentality.

Anyway, It's a physical activity that requires discipline, commitment, and there is some competition involved...but it isn't really a sport.  Cheer-leading itself, like being an accountant, a doctor, a priest, a musician, or anything else is not inherently wrong or right.  It has benefits, risks, and trade offs, just like everything else.  And just like everything else, it's not for everyone.
"While other animals look downwards at the ground, he gave human beings an upturned aspect, commanding them to look towards the skies, and, upright, raise their face to the stars. So the earth, that had been, a moment ago, uncarved and imageless, changed and assumed the unknown shapes of human beings."

Ovid, Metamorphosis Book I

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 03:20:56 PM »
Competitive cheerleading is not at all the same as high school/college cheerleading, though many girls (and a few boys) might participate in both. My granddaughter has been involved in the competitive sort for several years. She has done very well there. She is advanced enough to teach some of the younger ones - and has built a reputation for herself as being very good with even difficult children. It was also a great plus for her in securing a summer job - her employer made a point of mentioning that to her. It's a major investment of time and money for a family, but in my family's case, well worth it. My granddaughter is very obviously physically fit. She's not quite fifteen, but catches the eye of boys in their later teens. At the same time, she has developed a confidence in herself and her abilities to be able to ignore any come-ons from those same boys. She knows how to set goals for herself, and she is determined to pursue them. She knows how important it is to work for what you want. I admire her greatly.

Like most other activities, you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
I'm too old for this thread.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
I'm too old for this thread.

An understandable sentiment, which I find my thoughts aligning with.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:27:12 PM by Justin Kissel »