Author Topic: Medical issues concerning tatoos  (Read 57 times)

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
Medical issues concerning tatoos
« on: June 26, 2015, 02:00:52 PM »
http://www.livescience.com/50996-tattoos-have-long-term-risks.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/28/tattoos-health-risks_n_7461484.html

About 1 in 10 people who get tattoos experiences problems with the tattoo, including infection, itching, swelling and redness, according to a small study in the June issue of the journal Contact Dermatitis. Many people in the study had complications that lingered for years after the tattoo was inked, the researchers said.

"I'm not anti-tattoo at all; I happen to think tattoos are beautiful," said study co-author Dr. Marie Leger, a dermatologist at the New York University Langone Medical Center in New York City. But people should know that "there are certain risks," Leger added.

http://scienceornot.net/2013/09/14/are-tattoos-safe/

A while ago, some of my family told me about someone sitting next to them in a coffee shop who had tattooed eyeballs. Yes, the whites of his eyes were not white, but coloured. I’ve noticed, too, that large, colourful tattoos are becoming increasingly popular. This concerns me because I’m not sure about their safety. It’s not the small risk of infection during the tattooing process that bothers me. My concern is that tattoos involve injecting into the skin substances that are foreign to the human body, and that these presumably stay there for an entire lifetime. I was trained as a chemist, and I know that some pigments are pretty nasty as far as toxicity goes. At a time when many people go to great lengths to avoid ‘chemicals’ in their environment or food, how can others have them inserted into their skin? What are those substances and are they safe?
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
Re: Medical issues concerning tatoos
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 02:59:01 PM »
But of those who had complaints, six in 10 suffered from chronic problems. And although many had suffered from unpleasant itching or swelling for years, few had bothered to get their problems checked by a doctor, the researchers found.

Of the ones who reported problems, how many had 'unpleasant itching' or the like as their issue, and how many of those didn't bother to see a doctor? If we were to assume healthy individuals, taking normal precautions, doing normal aftercare, going to a place that seems safe/hygienic, and then going to a doctor if a problem arises: in such cases how many have had long term problems? In any event, I'm glad the article is out there though, so hopefully people think about these things before making a decision and getting one done.

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: Medical issues concerning tatoos
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 03:06:02 PM »
I could not resist this, Maria: