Author Topic: Monolatry  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Spiritually homeless
Monolatry
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »
I suspect this is an old Jack Chick saw I've heard but I just wanted to make sure.

Does the RCC teach that the gods of other religions are real spiritual beings (though only the Christian God should be worshipped)?

Offline WetCatechumen

• Roman Catholic
  • Elder
Re: Monolatry
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »
I suspect this is an old Jack Chick saw I've heard but I just wanted to make sure.

Does the RCC teach that the gods of other religions are real spiritual beings (though only the Christian God should be worshipped)?
I see no reason that many of the gods of the Old Testament could not have been demons.
"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »

Well, it is the teaching of Scripture...

"All the gods of the pagans are demons." Psalm 95:5

Offline WetCatechumen

• Roman Catholic
  • Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »

Well, it is the teaching of Scripture...

"All the gods of the pagans are demons." Psalm 95:5
Haha, thank you, Father.

Clearly, I need to read more.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:18:41 AM by WetCatechumen »
"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence

Offline Irish Hermit

• Kibernetski Kaludjer
  • Merarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
An older thread...

"All the gods of the pagans are demons"

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=20296.0

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

I see no reason that many of the gods of the Old Testament could not have been demons.
Yeah, that's what I figured they were. I'd just heard the RCC taught they were "something else."

Offline elijahmaria

• Taxiarches
    • Irenikin: The Skete
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »

Yeah, that's what I figured they were. I'd just heard the RCC taught they were "something else."

Oh yes...definitely.  The RCC teaches something else!!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
Whatever one's questions, please do not seek the answers from Jack Chick.  :P

Offline FrChris

• The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
  • Site Supporter
  • Taxiarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

This site as well also seems to have been the source for many people's religious education.  :P
"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Barlaam and Josaphat
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »

Oh yes...definitely.  The RCC teaches something else!!
What is this something else?
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »

This site as well also seems to have been the source for many people's religious education.  :P

Father,

You just set me back about 12 years in therapy. My therapist's grandchildren thank you as does Brown University.

If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Volnutt

• Taxiarches
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »
I don't remember ever actually seeing that from Jack Chick-just similarly anti-Catholic and schlocky websites with which I was enamored years ago.