OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 08:18:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monolatry  (Read 807 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« on: July 23, 2011, 05:28:49 AM »

I suspect this is an old Jack Chick saw I've heard but I just wanted to make sure.

Does the RCC teach that the gods of other religions are real spiritual beings (though only the Christian God should be worshipped)?
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »

I suspect this is an old Jack Chick saw I've heard but I just wanted to make sure.

Does the RCC teach that the gods of other religions are real spiritual beings (though only the Christian God should be worshipped)?
I see no reason that many of the gods of the Old Testament could not have been demons.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:14:58 AM »

Well, it is the teaching of Scripture...

"All the gods of the pagans are demons." Psalm 95:5
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »

Well, it is the teaching of Scripture...

"All the gods of the pagans are demons." Psalm 95:5
Haha, thank you, Father.

Clearly, I need to read more.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:18:41 AM by WetCatechumen » Logged

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »

An older thread...

"All the gods of the pagans are demons"

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=20296.0
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »

I see no reason that many of the gods of the Old Testament could not have been demons.
Yeah, that's what I figured they were. I'd just heard the RCC taught they were "something else."
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »

Yeah, that's what I figured they were. I'd just heard the RCC taught they were "something else."

Oh yes...definitely.  The RCC teaches something else!!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »

Whatever one's questions, please do not seek the answers from Jack Chick.  Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

Whatever one's questions, please do not seek the answers from Jack Chick.  Tongue

This site as well also seems to have been the source for many people's religious education.  Tongue

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 01:37:08 PM »

Oh yes...definitely.  The RCC teaches something else!!
What is this something else?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:20:08 PM »

This site as well also seems to have been the source for many people's religious education.  Tongue

Father,

You just set me back about 12 years in therapy. My therapist's grandchildren thank you as does Brown University.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:49:05 PM »

I don't remember ever actually seeing that from Jack Chick-just similarly anti-Catholic and schlocky websites with which I was enamored years ago.
Tags: Roman Catholic Church  Monolatry  Monotheism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: