OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:00:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 62420 times) Average Rating: 3
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #855 on: November 01, 2012, 12:42:27 AM »

Is that your pedo face?
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #856 on: November 01, 2012, 01:58:38 AM »

I was looking for a gif expressing creepy happiness. I suppose you would see that in pedophiles.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #857 on: December 04, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »

I have a date this Saturday. I'm not sure what magical voodoo was at play, but whatever I said worked! Advice on how to move forward will most likely be sought after the date.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #858 on: December 05, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »

According to the Khouria at my home parish, the major problem for them is that they have several guys of college age but very few girls.

That presents a problem.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #859 on: December 05, 2012, 11:06:22 AM »

Spurred on by my recent success, I am going to ask the pretty bank teller out today. Either she will say yes and make me very happy, or she will reject me and I will be embarrassed every time I have to go back to that bank.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #860 on: December 05, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »

Last night I think I fell in love with the late-night-gas-station-attendant-lady.  I went in there to grab some beer because if my brother came home and we were out he'd literally flip a brick.  When I went up to pay to the usual guy he decided to play cupid and set me up with this little goddess of love.  He said to me, "she can help you over there" and that is where it all began.  She gave me this look and my heart melted.  Her gentle doe-like eyes had a bored expression like maybe it was later than she'd like it to be and just really wanted to go home.  In my heart I knew that it was me she wanted to go home with.  I still remember the first thing she said to me, she asked if she could see my ID.  I understood.  A girl has to be careful these days and wants to make sure that the guy she goes out with is legit so I showed it to her.  We made some conversations.  She asked me if I'd like a receipt and I said no thanks.  Up to this point everything could just be passed off as coincidence but she told me that she wants to see me again!  Her exact words were, "have a good night.  Please come again."

I think I might have finally found THE ONE!  As soon as I get home I am going to cancel my plans of watching The Outlaw Josey Wales with my friend and I am going to drink up all the beer so I have to go and get more.  If I see her I'm going to ask her to marry me.  I've even got a ring.  It's a beautiful one I found in the graveyard down the road from my house.  I'm sure she'll swoon when she sees it and throw herself into my arms.

I wonder what we'll name our kids?  Any suggestions?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #861 on: December 05, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »

Herman, Helena, Christopher  Huh

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #862 on: December 05, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »

My personal favourite is "Barsanuphius".

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #863 on: December 05, 2012, 01:04:58 PM »

Haralambos
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #864 on: December 05, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »

Last night I think I fell in love with the late-night-gas-station-attendant-lady.  I went in there to grab some beer because if my brother came home and we were out he'd literally flip a brick.  When I went up to pay to the usual guy he decided to play cupid and set me up with this little goddess of love.  He said to me, "she can help you over there" and that is where it all began.  She gave me this look and my heart melted.  Her gentle doe-like eyes had a bored expression like maybe it was later than she'd like it to be and just really wanted to go home.  In my heart I knew that it was me she wanted to go home with.  I still remember the first thing she said to me, she asked if she could see my ID.  I understood.  A girl has to be careful these days and wants to make sure that the guy she goes out with is legit so I showed it to her.  We made some conversations.  She asked me if I'd like a receipt and I said no thanks.  Up to this point everything could just be passed off as coincidence but she told me that she wants to see me again!  Her exact words were, "have a good night.  Please come again."

I think I might have finally found THE ONE!  As soon as I get home I am going to cancel my plans of watching The Outlaw Josey Wales with my friend and I am going to drink up all the beer so I have to go and get more.  If I see her I'm going to ask her to marry me.  I've even got a ring.  It's a beautiful one I found in the graveyard down the road from my house.  I'm sure she'll swoon when she sees it and throw herself into my arms.

This really touched my heart. I hope I have Tums. I've always wanted to write a romance novel, and I'm interested in buying the rights to your story. I'm thinking something like 50 Cases of Steel Reserve. Interested?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #865 on: December 05, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »

This really touched my heart. I hope I have Tums. I've always wanted to write a romance novel, and I'm interested in buying the rights to your story. I'm thinking something like 50 Cases of Steel Reserve. Interested?

What are we talking about for royalties?  10%?  If so, I'll go back and propose to her tonight!

(BTW, it was Miller Light.  Only my friend B__ drinks Steel Reserve.  That's gross.  They say every kiss begins with Kay, well, most of mine have started with Miller!)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #866 on: December 05, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »

Vamrat, you lucky dog rat, good for you! I asked the bank teller out and she told me she was unavailable. Humph. Some customer service! Well anyway, I still got one date this week, and it sounds like you're doing well also. These are great times we live in!

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #867 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »

What are we talking about for royalties?  10%?  If so, I'll go back and propose to her tonight!

(BTW, it was Miller Light.  Only my friend B__ drinks Steel Reserve.  That's gross.  They say every kiss begins with Kay, well, most of mine have started with Miller!)

Hmmm... I'm going to need to use some artistic license with the beer. I like the play on words you can get from "Steel Reserve"... alluding to your courage in putting yourself out there, perhaps? Unless you feel that the Miller is essential to the integrity of your story, but it'd have to be a pretty persuasive argument.

As for royalties, I was thinking more along the lines of 7%- but we have bargaining room.

Don't go propose to her tonight only because of our inevitable impending fame! These things need to happen organically- your story needs to be as authentic as possible. There's going to be plenty of late night shows and undoubtedly talks of film, so we want to keep the material fresh- not forced.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #868 on: December 05, 2012, 03:29:14 PM »

Mine have all started with ether.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #869 on: December 05, 2012, 03:36:13 PM »

Every man's dream, a first girlfriend who's an original conduit. All a poor guy wants.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #870 on: December 05, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »

Haralambos

Orthodox brothers! I hope I'll have twins.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #871 on: December 09, 2012, 01:32:17 AM »

My date was amazing. I can't even speak.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #872 on: December 09, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »

My date was amazing. I can't even speak.

Wonderful news!   Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:42:58 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #873 on: December 09, 2012, 01:43:18 AM »

Nah, the bank teller was "unavailable," but I went out with this girl I met online and it was great...  Grin

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #874 on: December 09, 2012, 03:00:14 AM »

Is this serious or sarcasm?

I never can tell with you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #875 on: December 09, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

Totally serious. It didn't start out well because I'm more reserved and she's one of those "life of the party" people. But as the night went on we really got along well, and we plan on getting together again, probably next weekend.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #876 on: December 09, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »

Totally serious. It didn't start out well because I'm more reserved and she's one of those "life of the party" people. But as the night went on we really got along well, and we plan on getting together again, probably next weekend.
How did you deal with the attractiveness?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #877 on: December 09, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

You mean the fact that I'm not attractive? Hey, that's her problem  Grin

Oh, maybe you meant her? She's nicer in real life. And we got... "cozy"... which probably helped.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #878 on: January 13, 2013, 01:16:27 PM »

I had a bit of an epiphany as I was sitting in the parking lot of the Unitarian Universalist church waiting for my pagan girlfriend to come out (I wasn't allowed to go in with her)... sort of my own Pascals wager... if there is no God then my only purpose in life would be the pursuit of happiness, yet Orthodoxy is what makes me most happy, so either way I should pursue Orthodoxy, and let God do what He wants to do to/with/for me.  angel

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #879 on: January 14, 2013, 04:59:39 AM »

I find it weird how everyone in person tells me that I should date a lot, enjoy a ton of "young loves" and meet a lot of girls before I ever get married someday. Yet, knowing how desperate and socially awkward I am, I imagine that I will probably just end up marrying the first attractive Orthodox girl that comes into my life that doesn't leave me after a week.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #880 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:17 AM »

I had a bit of an epiphany as I was sitting in the parking lot of the Unitarian Universalist church waiting for my pagan girlfriend to come out (I wasn't allowed to go in with her)... sort of my own Pascals wager... if there is no God then my only purpose in life would be the pursuit of happiness, yet Orthodoxy is what makes me most happy, so either way I should pursue Orthodoxy, and let God do what He wants to do to/with/for me.  angel
The Unitarian Universalists wouldn't let you in? Or was this more of a self-imposed exile?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »

I find it weird how everyone in person tells me that I should date a lot, enjoy a ton of "young loves" and meet a lot of girls before I ever get married someday. Yet, knowing how desperate and socially awkward I am, I imagine that I will probably just end up marrying the first attractive Orthodox girl that comes into my life that doesn't leave me after a week.

The 'playing the field' thing is a crock if you ask me. I never dated many girls mainly because I was always painfully shy. I was told all the sorts of things it sounds like you were and all it did was make me feel like I'd never meet anyone - if I needed to date loads to find the right one I was stuffed. What actually happened is that I met my wife at age 19 but we were just friends. A few years later that friendship turned into something more and we were married when I was 25. We're still happily married (12th anniversary this year) and I couldn't imagine life without her. Of those people I know who did play the field, I'd say the results wouldn't seem to justify the original advice.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #882 on: January 14, 2013, 10:38:26 AM »

The 'playing the field' thing is a crock if you ask me. I never dated many girls mainly because I was always painfully shy. I was told all the sorts of things it sounds like you were and all it did was make me feel like I'd never meet anyone - if I needed to date loads to find the right one I was stuffed. What actually happened is that I met my wife at age 19 but we were just friends. A few years later that friendship turned into something more and we were married when I was 25. We're still happily married (12th anniversary this year) and I couldn't imagine life without her. Of those people I know who did play the field, I'd say the results wouldn't seem to justify the original advice.

James

A lot of it depends on what you mean by "playing the field".  A lot of people generally use this term to denote going on lots of dates and gathering a respectable number of notches on your bedpost.  Others (like I believe JamesR was using) just use the term but are trying to say you should date a number of people.  In some cases like yours you really don't need to.  For others, if I were married to the first girl I really dated I'd probably have shot myself by now.  In other cases, it's just a matter of necessity.  Most of the women I have had dated always had two or three guys at a time so it really is in a man's best interest to have a couple lined up and never get to attached to any one of them. 

Really, dating and marriage in this society is like playing Russian Roulette with half the chambers loaded instead of just one.  If JamesR is indeed so shy that he'll marry the first Orthodox girl who doesn't turn him down there is a very real chance that he could end up like you with the hammer falling on an empty chamber and then reap a great reward.  But with frivolous divorce, alimony and the 50% rate, he might very well land on a primer, figuratively and literally. 

Best thing you can do is be careful.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #883 on: January 14, 2013, 10:54:30 AM »

James

A lot of it depends on what you mean by "playing the field".  A lot of people generally use this term to denote going on lots of dates and gathering a respectable number of notches on your bedpost.  Others (like I believe JamesR was using) just use the term but are trying to say you should date a number of people.  In some cases like yours you really don't need to.  For others, if I were married to the first girl I really dated I'd probably have shot myself by now.  In other cases, it's just a matter of necessity.  Most of the women I have had dated always had two or three guys at a time so it really is in a man's best interest to have a couple lined up and never get to attached to any one of them. 

Really, dating and marriage in this society is like playing Russian Roulette with half the chambers loaded instead of just one.  If JamesR is indeed so shy that he'll marry the first Orthodox girl who doesn't turn him down there is a very real chance that he could end up like you with the hammer falling on an empty chamber and then reap a great reward.  But with frivolous divorce, alimony and the 50% rate, he might very well land on a primer, figuratively and literally. 

Best thing you can do is be careful.

What I think is a crock is the idea that you have to date loads of people - that it's somehow preferable that you do or that doing so makes you more likely to find a good one. That doesn't mean that I think that someone like James should marry the first Orthodox girl who bats her eyelids at him, nor that I disagree with you about being careful. It just means that I don't believe experience with multiple women will help in any way in deciding whether that particular woman is the one for you. Everyone's an individual. You might date a thousand girls and still get it wrong or only date the one and remain happily married for life. All I meant to say was that he shouldn't allow others to make him feel as though if he isn't dating a lot he's confined to the scrap heap. Honestly, I wish someone had said something like that to me when I was his age.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #884 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »

that is the heart talking the sit of the Kingdom, not the brain. for such moments, all others are endurable my dear asteriktos Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #885 on: January 14, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

I swore that I would marry the first girl that dated me twice.  And I did.  We are still married.  Don't worry about it.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #886 on: January 14, 2013, 07:02:49 PM »

I swore that I would marry the first girl that dated me twice.  And I did.  We are still married.  Don't worry about it.

Wow Punch, that's pretty inspiring. I want to be just like you when I become a man. Except, maybe with less beard.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #887 on: January 15, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

Wow Punch, that's pretty inspiring. I want to be just like you when I become a man. Except, maybe with less beard.

Believe me, there are better role models. 

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #888 on: January 15, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »

I wouldn't necessarily marry the first one, but that also doesn't mean "working the entire room," as it were.  I always approached each relationship I was in as seeing if the girl I was with was one I could marry.  That was always my ultimate goal and I didn't want to waste my time or hers (even if that wasn't hers, as I found out with one or two). 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #889 on: January 27, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »

Why are devout Christian girls always the hardest to date them? Why are they, for the most part, so prude?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #890 on: January 27, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »

Why are devout Christian girls always the hardest to date them? Why are they, for the most part, so prude?

Most of the ones I have dated weren't so much prude as they were insane.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #891 on: January 27, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »

Most of the ones I have dated weren't so much prude as they were insane.
Well that definitely has to be the problem.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #892 on: January 27, 2013, 07:03:06 PM »

What type of Christian are we talking? The hardcore Evangelical ones who wear purity rings and think they are queens or something are admittedly the worst. On the other hand, most of the Roman Catholic ones don't even behave religiously and you wouldn't tell the difference between them and an atheist. The Orthodox? Well, there's not enough of them around to make a judgment.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:05:19 PM by JamesR » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #893 on: January 27, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

What type of Christian are we talking? The hardcore Evangelical ones who wear purity rings and think they are queens or something are admittedly the worst. On the other hand, most of the Roman Catholic ones don't even behave religiously and you wouldn't tell the difference between them and an atheist. The Orthodox? Well, there's not enough of them around to make a judgment.

This girl I've been talking to doesnt have that ring, but I think she is asexual though.

A lot of them seem that way to me. But I do admire her intelligence and sense of humor.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #894 on: March 10, 2013, 02:40:16 AM »

Relationships aren't worth the hassle, amirite?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 02:40:38 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #895 on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:37 AM »

Hurr hurr I can't wait till I get to kiss the girl I like at Church on Forgiveness Sunday  Grin  Wink  Cool

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #896 on: March 10, 2013, 03:57:12 AM »

Hurr hurr I can't wait till I get to kiss the girl I like at Church on Forgiveness Sunday  Grin  Wink  Cool
Creeperdox James

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #897 on: March 10, 2013, 04:17:36 AM »

Are you gonna tell us you didn't like the kiss?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #898 on: March 10, 2013, 05:51:43 PM »

For those who ask why we no longer do the kiss of peace in the Liturgy. This is why Smiley
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #899 on: March 10, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »

For those who ask why we no longer do the kiss of peace in the Liturgy. This is why Smiley

LOL!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: