OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 04:35:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 58414 times) Average Rating: 3
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #765 on: October 17, 2012, 10:48:48 PM »

Why won't anyone believe me when I say that I just buy those magazines for the articles?

Anyway, it wasn't that that was the problem. Some girls just don't like peanut butter I guess. *shrugs*
No Jelly for...Peanut Butter Jelly Time?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #766 on: October 17, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »

I always found jelly unnecessary. I guess I could give it another shot though. I mean, if some people are that picky then fine, whatever makes you happy!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #767 on: October 18, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »

So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #768 on: October 18, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »

I need advice
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:34:12 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #769 on: October 18, 2012, 01:45:12 AM »

I need advice

Measure twice, cut once.

Any more advice will require you to share why you need the advice and what about... Smiley
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #770 on: October 18, 2012, 01:50:00 AM »

I need advice

1. Don't trust whitey.

2. See a doctor and get rid of it.

Those are the only pieces of advice you'll ever need. I mean, look at how far they got Steve Martin.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #771 on: October 18, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »

Is orthonorm's advice bureau still in business or will it open especially for me? Or are there any other wise sages here that can help?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:30:16 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #772 on: October 18, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »

Is orthonorm's advice bureau still in business or will it open especially for me? Or are there any other wise sages here that can help?

Cyrillic me boy, JamesR, Achronos and I can give you all the advice you'll ever need.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:13:02 AM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #773 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:06:37 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #774 on: October 18, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »

-

Do Dutch women tend to look at English language forums about a strange minority religion?

Also
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:44:04 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #775 on: October 18, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »

-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:06:28 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #776 on: October 18, 2012, 11:05:09 AM »

-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:06:21 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #777 on: October 18, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »

Well, what sort of preexisting relationship do you have with this girl? If she doesn't really know you (or you her), you should probably lay some groundwork before asking her out, so that you have some things in common already to talk about and it's not just coming completely out of the blue (try to put yourself in her shoes; if someone came up to you out of nowhere and asked you for a date, you'd probably be a little bit confused, right?). Other than that, yeah, there's kinda no way to preserve your shyness here. You've got to ask at some point. Shouldn't be too hard...don't Dutch people drink coffee/go to the movies/go out to dinner, etc.? Smiley

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #778 on: October 18, 2012, 11:41:52 AM »

-

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:05:11 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #779 on: October 18, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »

Without knowing anything about the cultural norms of the Netherlands, it sounds like a good opportunity to me. I'd go for it. Just a simple, no-pressure "You want to grab a cup of coffee after class?" (or similar) could be the beginning of something special..or it could not, but the point is you'll never know unless you try. At the very worst she says no, and you say okay and carry on.

I'm trying to remember (hahaha, I guess I've been single too long), but I think the first date I went on with my now ex was to a place she told me makes really good desserts. Like I said, about similar interests... Cheesy It was nice because even if it had gone terribly, we'd both get cake out of the deal, so there are worse ways to spend a few hours. So something like that could work, since you know her and I'm assuming know what she's interested in.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #780 on: October 18, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »

Without knowing anything about the cultural norms of the Netherlands, it sounds like a good opportunity to me. I'd go for it. Just a simple, no-pressure "You want to grab a cup of coffee after class?" (or similar) could be the beginning of something special..or it could not, but the point is you'll never know unless you try. At the very worst she says no, and you say okay and carry on.

I'm trying to remember (hahaha, I guess I've been single too long), but I think the first date I went on with my now ex was to a place she told me makes really good desserts. Like I said, about similar interests... Cheesy It was nice because even if it had gone terribly, we'd both get cake out of the deal, so there are worse ways to spend a few hours. So something like that could work, since you know her and I'm assuming know what she's interested in.

Dzheremi, I lost count on how many times you helped me, thanks man! I'll see if I can come up with a good idea or just let things go.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:10:14 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #781 on: October 18, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »

Don't "just let things go"....you'll never get anywhere that way.

I love the idea of asking her out for coffee or to the local icecream shop or whatever is "in" in your locale.

It's a non-pressure meeting, and not a formal date.

Coffee shops are great, because they usually have small tables and you guys can sit across from each other and have a great time....plus, it's intimate enough where you can actually have a decent discussion.

Wishing you well!

Don't be shy!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #782 on: October 18, 2012, 02:15:39 PM »

-

Go for broke.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:44:17 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #783 on: October 18, 2012, 02:17:48 PM »

-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:05:40 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #784 on: October 18, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »

It means take a risk. It's my expert opinion.  Wink

Is your gf interested in Orthodoxy?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 08:44:30 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #785 on: October 18, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »

Okay, I'll give more details about this all when asked for them.

How on earth do I 'signal' (for lack of a better term) my interest in her. Should I just ask her out or is that weird. Please take into account that I'm somewhat shy with things like this and I have no experience with this whatsoever.

Go for broke.

What's that?

Americanism for "to risk everything" on a single event. Comes from some variant of craps or something.

Nowadays, most people would say it means take a chance in general even if the stakes are not that high.

It would analogous to "go all in" from the past fad of No Limit Texas Hold'em.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #786 on: October 18, 2012, 02:24:30 PM »

Why not invite her to the party you are having?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #787 on: October 18, 2012, 02:25:11 PM »

Cyrillic,

Your need for help ain't that severe. Having dated most of the continent of Europe, let me know if need something more specific to the cultural surroundings you find yourself in.

Dating in America is a bit different than "dating" in most European countries. At least IME.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #788 on: October 18, 2012, 02:29:01 PM »

Cyrillic,

Your need for help ain't that severe. Having dated most of the continent of Europe, let me know if need something more specific to the cultural surroundings you find yourself in.

Dating in America is a bit different than "dating" in most European countries. At least IME.

Where do you date over the rhine?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #789 on: October 18, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »

-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:05:52 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #790 on: October 18, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »

So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #791 on: October 18, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »

I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »

I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...

You will not be too far from that person and I.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #793 on: October 18, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Light years away. Although I think * will be visiting Cincinnati via wherever he is in Pennsylvania.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #794 on: October 18, 2012, 03:05:26 PM »

Light years away.

It might as well be. Dayton is not exactly where the who's who of Ohio flock.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #795 on: October 18, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »

Light years away.

Dayton as much in common with Cincinnati as Akron does.

You don't belong here.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #796 on: October 18, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »

Have you ever seen any advertisement for a realtor named Michelle Caldwell? Because she's headmaster of my school, in Dayton.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #797 on: October 18, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »

Light years away.

You don't belong here.

In Ohio?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #798 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12:06 PM »

Have you ever seen any advertisement for a realtor named Michelle Caldwell? Because she's headmaster of my school, in Dayton.

As real estate agent for a headmistress? Lovely.

You would think a religious school would require the members of their staff to have a soul at a minimum.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #799 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »

Light years away.

You don't belong here.

In Ohio?

Probably, but Cincinnati specifically was what I referring to.

IIRC, you are a non-NYC New York transplant to Dayton?

My condolences.

That person
OC.net guru

« Reply #800 on: October 18, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »

As real estate agent for a headmistress? Lovely.

You would think a religious school would require the members of their staff to have a soul at a minimum.
She's also a deaconess at Trinity Anglican and a doctoral student. I suppose if I were contributing to the gentrification of Over the Rhine, I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #801 on: October 18, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

Light years away.

You don't belong here.

In Ohio?

Probably, but Cincinnati specifically was what I referring to.

IIRC, you are a non-NYC New York transplant to Dayton?

My condolences.

Ah. I wouldn't know, never having been to Cincinnati. Hopefully in a few weeks though, to watch the Giants beat the Bengals.

Yes, I am a non-NYC New York transplant to Dayton. It is kind of a bummer.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #802 on: October 18, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »

What is more important to a woman? Your money or your looks?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #803 on: October 18, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »

What is more important to a woman? Your money or your looks?

Depends on the time line. After about a few minutes, your money.

But height trumps that.

Sorry Charlie.

Being short is worse than being a convicted felon.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #804 on: October 18, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »

I am long. Wooohoo!  laugh

On a OC.net diet.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #805 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »

*ahem* Tall. *ahem*

Yes. Size matters.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #806 on: October 18, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »

ESL?  Cheesy

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #807 on: October 18, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »

*ahem* Tall. *ahem*

Yes. Size matters.

I might be long too, if you know what I mean  Wink

*ahem*

On a OC.net diet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #808 on: October 18, 2012, 05:13:49 PM »

*ahem* Tall. *ahem*

Yes. Size matters.

I might be long too, if you know what I mean  Wink

*ahem*

No, what do you mean? Long... clavicles?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #809 on: October 18, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »

*ahem* Tall. *ahem*

Yes. Size matters.

I might be long too, if you know what I mean  Wink

*ahem*

No, what do you mean? Long... clavicles?

Shall I show you what I mean?  Kiss
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:16:17 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: