OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 06:09:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 62090 times) Average Rating: 3
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #720 on: June 27, 2012, 04:24:05 AM »

Bumped, because I still need a girlfriend.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #721 on: June 27, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »

How much money do you have in your bank account?
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

Lol, me have money. I don't even have a job (well, I will in the Fall as a grad assistant--but that's peanuts)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2012, 08:54:46 PM »

Lol, me have money. I don't even have a job (well, I will in the Fall as a grad assistant--but that's peanuts)

If you go to a convenience store, you can theoretically rob them just by saying you have a gun.  It should be enough for a couple good dates.  Wear a mask.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #724 on: June 27, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »

Is it a good idea to ask out a girl who, previously in a class setting, has expressed that she's not sure if she wants a relationship in her life? I don't want to wind up damaging our friendship as has happened with other girls before.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:18:21 PM by Volnutt » Logged
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #725 on: June 27, 2012, 10:22:30 PM »

Is it a good idea to ask out a girl who, previously in a class setting, has expressed that she's not sure if she wants a relationship in her life? I don't want to wind up damaging our friendship as has happened with other girls before.

What anyone expresses in a class setting is not indicative of how they will behave or react in real life. Ask away.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #726 on: June 27, 2012, 10:24:41 PM »

Might sound brutal and a bit chauvenistic but, if you are prone to friend-zoning, I'm sure you have more than enough female friends and too few girlfriends.

I am not one of those who expects you to form amorous intentions the moment you meet a girl, but once you have realised that you would like to take the relationship to another level, you owe it to yourself to give that an attempt.

My brief two cents.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #727 on: June 27, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »

What anyone expresses in a class setting is not indicative of how they will behave or react in real life. Ask away.
Tis true, but with this girl I'm inclined to take it more seriously as she's a bit of a shrinking violet who doesn't have a lot of friends other than me.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #728 on: June 27, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

Might sound brutal and a bit chauvenistic but, if you are prone to friend-zoning, I'm sure you have more than enough female friends and too few girlfriends.

I am not one of those who expects you to form amorous intentions the moment you meet a girl, but once you have realised that you would like to take the relationship to another level, you owe it to yourself to give that an attempt.

My brief two cents.
I agree that I need to be proactive, but as I said in my last post, I really don't want to risk hurting this girl.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #729 on: June 27, 2012, 10:57:02 PM »

My brief two cents.

Women have friends.  They have boyfriends and they have girlfriends.  Unless you are with them, you're their girlfriend.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #730 on: June 27, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

How would it hurt her to ask her out? You're thinking too much. Just do it and get it over with, and deal with whatever consequences when they actually happen.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #731 on: June 27, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »

How would it hurt her to ask her out?
I disagree. Every time in the past that I've asked a girl out, it's been weird between us ever since. It's like trying to be friends with your Ex (though obviously not with the same emotional baggage). Yes, you can be amicable but there will always be that elephant in the room, things will never be like they were if you hadn't ever gone there.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:11:08 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #732 on: June 27, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »

My brief two cents.

Women have friends.  They have boyfriends and they have girlfriends.  Unless you are with them, you're their girlfriend.
I can live with that. God knows I have no testosterone to speak of anyway.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #733 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:21 PM »

My brief two cents.

I can live with that. God knows I have no testosterone to speak of anyway.

Then lift weights. 

Your sacred mission is to ask this girl out.

Steel yourself first.  Find three random broad sand ask them out first.  Build up your immunity to rejection.  If you cry after the third one, or feel any hurt at all, ask out three more.

Then ask this broad out for coffee.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #734 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »

I disagree. Every time in the past that I've asked a girl out, it's been weird between us ever since. It's like trying to be friends with your Ex (though obviously not with the same emotional baggage). Yes, you can be amicable but there will always be that elephant in the room, things will never be like they were if you hadn't ever gone there.

Yeah, I get that, but that doesn't sound like it's really about her feelings or whatever. It sounds like you don't want to risk things being awkward if she says no. It's understandable, but that's the risk you have to take on to actually have a chance of dating her. She's not just going to know that you want that if you never say anything. So you have to weigh the definite friendship against the potential relationship, and then act accordingly.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #735 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »

Yeah, I get that, but that doesn't sound like it's really about her feelings or whatever. It sounds like you don't want to risk things being awkward if she says no. It's understandable, but that's the risk you have to take on to actually have a chance of dating her. She's not just going to know that you want that if you never say anything. So you have to weigh the definite friendship against the potential relationship, and then act accordingly.
If it sounded like that then I misexpressed myself. I don't want to hurt her most of all. Partially because she's socially awkward and doesn't have hardly any friends. I can tell she really appreciates me hanging around her and I really don't want to ruin that.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2012, 12:57:35 AM »

Tis true, but with this girl I'm inclined to take it more seriously as she's a bit of a shrinking violet who doesn't have a lot of friends other than me.

I agree that I need to be proactive, but as I said in my last post, I really don't want to risk hurting this girl.

If it sounded like that then I misexpressed myself. I don't want to hurt her most of all. Partially because she's socially awkward and doesn't have hardly any friends. I can tell she really appreciates me hanging around her and I really don't want to ruin that.

Volnutt, shrinking violet types can have issues but not necessarily. I do not know the statistics on this matter. If they do not have issues, they can provide lifelong joy in your life that no one else will (depending on your own personality).

My only recommendation if you have not been taught, is to get a book on being a gentleman and make it a part of you for the rest of your life.  Do not have expectations, just ask her out to spend some time to interact with each other, nothing more. If she declines, continue to be the gentleman that you are and ask her again a couple of weeks later, etc. If she is worth it, this is what courting is all about.  If she is really really worth it, a few years to get the first date is a few years well spent.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2012, 01:01:29 AM »

I can tell she really appreciates me hanging around her and I really don't want to ruin that.

It'll all work out in the end  police

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:20 AM »

Volnutt, shrinking violet types can have issues but not necessarily. I do not know the statistics on this matter. If they do not have issues, they can provide lifelong joy in your life that no one else will (depending on your own personality).

My only recommendation if you have not been taught, is to get a book on being a gentleman and make it a part of you for the rest of your life.  Do not have expectations, just ask her out to spend some time to interact with each other, nothing more. If she declines, continue to be the gentleman that you are and ask her again a couple of weeks later, etc. If she is worth it, this is what courting is all about.  If she is really really worth it, a few years to get the first date is a few years well spent.

I try to be polite at all times, yes. Thank you for the advice.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #739 on: June 28, 2012, 01:36:52 AM »

I can tell she really appreciates me hanging around her and I really don't want to ruin that.

It'll all work out in the end  police
True. I guess I worry too much about people. Thanks.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #740 on: June 28, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »

Well, then don't visually undress her when you ask her out.  I can see no possible harm in asking her if she would like to go out to lunch or dinner with you.  You could even let her know that you would just like to talk with her in an environment other than the current setting.  A "date" does not really have to be more than that.  And this is true even if you are just a male "girlfriend" to her, for now.  Perhaps as you get to know each other better, your friendship will deepen.  Perhaps even into love.  But nothing will happen unless you ask.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #741 on: June 28, 2012, 01:00:42 PM »

Well, then don't visually undress her when you ask her out.  I can see no possible harm in asking her if she would like to go out to lunch or dinner with you.  You could even let her know that you would just like to talk with her in an environment other than the current setting.  A "date" does not really have to be more than that.  And this is true even if you are just a male "girlfriend" to her, for now.  Perhaps as you get to know each other better, your friendship will deepen.  Perhaps even into love.  But nothing will happen unless you ask.

Definately ask her out!  If your goal is to find a girlfriend and a spouse,  you need to ask her out and find out if it is possible to move your relationship to a more fulfilling level.  You don't want to just be in her life until she finds someone else.   The sooner you know, the sooner you can get on with finding the right person for yourself. 
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #742 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

Eventually I am going to replace this thread with a new one entitled "Vamrat's Dating Disasters".  It will be a 'how not to' date.

I honestly don't think I did anything wrong game-wise, just another 'Christian' girl with a princess complex.  The bar sluts I hung out with later on that night had much more going for them...and I'm not even getting into looks, just personality. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #743 on: July 07, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »

Bill: "Women, can't live with them... . ."
Dave: "... can't live without them?"
Bill: "I don't know about that part"

I keed, I keed. There's a woman out there for you, hand picked by God, just you wait and see!*

police

*I don't really believe that, but hey, there might be one out there for you, so why not stay optimistic? Smiley

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #744 on: July 07, 2012, 11:20:09 PM »

this is kinda how me and my gf started.

we hung out, because best friends, then we ended up in this "male girlfriend" stage thingy, then it ended up with her asking me out, and us offically dating. just take months. and by months, i mean takr your time.

SCREW BON JOVI!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #745 on: July 07, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »

Eventually I am going to replace this thread with a new one entitled "Vamrat's Dating Disasters".  It will be a 'how not to' date.

I honestly don't think I did anything wrong game-wise, just another 'Christian' girl with a princess complex.  The bar sluts I hung out with later on that night had much more going for them...and I'm not even getting into looks, just personality.  
Dude please make that thread.

I have a novel I'm ready to post on my engagment disaster.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:28:36 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #746 on: July 07, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »

Eventually I am going to replace this thread with a new one entitled "Vamrat's Dating Disasters".  It will be a 'how not to' date.

I honestly don't think I did anything wrong game-wise, just another 'Christian' girl with a princess complex.  The bar sluts I hung out with later on that night had much more going for them...and I'm not even getting into looks, just personality.  
Dude please make that thread.

I have a novel I'm ready to post on my engagment disaster.

No desire to make light of your situation, but your life would be a perfect soap opera.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #747 on: July 07, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »

LOL

Oh man if you think my personal life is a complete mess, you should have seen me I think 3 years ago. I was completely head over heels for Satan herself.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #748 on: July 08, 2012, 12:27:31 AM »

Bill: "Women, can't live with them... . ."
Dave: "... can't live without them?"
Bill: "I don't know about that part"

I keed, I keed. There's a woman out there for you, hand picked by God, just you wait and see!*

police

*I don't really believe that, but hey, there might be one out there for you, so why not stay optimistic? Smiley

Women - Can't live with them...Illegal to shoot them!  I can't remember who said that, but I lolled.

I don't think God has that "Special Someone" (TM) out there for anyone.  He has dozens, if not hundreds.  You just have to have humility, contentedness, and discernment in choosing one of them.  Every Christian girl I have dated was looking for prince charming and they themselves had neither humility nor contentment.  Oh well.  I have a lot more self improvement to do and there are lots of nice unChristian women out there to keep me happy until Princess Charming falls out from the heavens for me.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #749 on: July 08, 2012, 02:03:16 AM »

this is kinda how me and my gf started.

we hung out, because best friends, then we ended up in this "male girlfriend" stage thingy, then it ended up with her asking me out, and us offically dating. just take months. and by months, i mean takr your time.
Well, that gives me some hope. Thanks. Smiley
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #750 on: July 26, 2012, 05:24:44 AM »

Apparently, one of the guys at my church (who attended my old Methodist church as well, interestingly) saw a status I made on Facebook complaining about my lack of a girlfriend.

He approached me at the post-service potluck luncheon and said something close to "Jake, last I checked, hesychast monastics at monasteries in Russia don't watch anime."

Additionally, he said give it time, saying e didn't marry for the first time until he was 33 (unrelated, but my Dad was the same way, only he married at 35). Then, he recommended I join a big parish (such as the major one in a large city--the Greek cathedral in Atlanta, for example) and go "baitcasting"--as he put it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:25:02 AM by ironchapman » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #751 on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »

Been a while since anyone has posted here so let me reinvigorate this thread with something I found on a dating site profile:

honestly the last three years of my marriage have been ok but my husband has cancer and doesnt seem interested in me no more and i think i deserve better

Religion: Christianity but not too serious about it

What a keeper!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #752 on: August 29, 2012, 09:59:56 PM »

Yeah that's not a red flag at all, a total keeper.

And I'm sure we are going to have to fight over winning her heart.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #753 on: September 01, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »

Hey girl you said you like to drink, took you to a brewery bar but you end up getting a Sprite.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:12:27 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #754 on: October 17, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »

Urgent! If anyone here has ever coupled with a redheaded woman that was at least 6'2" tall would you please PM me asap?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #755 on: October 17, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »

Urgent! If anyone here has ever coupled with a redheaded woman that was at least 6'2" tall would you please PM me asap?

That's too bad, knew one at 6'1".

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #756 on: October 17, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »

If no one else contacts me in the next 3 minutes I might have to PM you!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #757 on: October 17, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »

I got nothing.

YOU'RE SCREWED!

Cheesy

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #758 on: October 17, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »

If only orthonorm had not abandoned us! Sad

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #759 on: October 17, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »

NVM! The time has now passed...  Cry

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #760 on: October 17, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »

That was quick. Better luck next time, I suppose.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #761 on: October 17, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »

Remembr, keep the bodybuilder mags at home.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #762 on: October 17, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

Hmm? You were trying to impress her with your subscription to Mr Universe Magazine, I take it?  Huh I have a feeling that strategy might backfire, for some reason.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #763 on: October 17, 2012, 10:27:09 PM »

Sorry, cannot be of service.  She was tallish, but was below six.

And unfortunately, we never coupled.   Cry

I think she might have been a lesbian.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #764 on: October 17, 2012, 10:43:31 PM »

Why won't anyone believe me when I say that I just buy those magazines for the articles?

Anyway, it wasn't that that was the problem. Some girls just don't like peanut butter I guess. *shrugs*

Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: