OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 60567 times) Average Rating: 3
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #585 on: April 25, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »

So has mine.  I usually agree with Liza.  I always agree with Hiwot.

My faith that real women are still out there has been restored!  Very well said. 
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #586 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »

Witega, if Punch hadn't included "or strong informal", I wouldn't have asked that question.

To be clear, I would consider a "strong informal" to be her statement to me that she is committed to her boyfriend (or some other obvious form of communication).  There could be a hundred reasons as to why she is not wearing a ring, and none of them are my business at that point.  But as has been previously said, I cannot know of the informal commitment unless I ask and hear from her, so avoiding her because she has been seen in the general proximity of another male does not seem like a good way to go about things.  Continuing to pursue her after she has made it clear that she is committed to someone else would elicit the same feelings in me as the "don't do it" crowd have about the matter. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #587 on: April 25, 2012, 10:58:46 AM »

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Punch. I find this a very reasonable approach.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #588 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »

Witega, if Punch hadn't included "or strong informal", I wouldn't have asked that question.

To be clear, I would consider a "strong informal" to be her statement to me that she is committed to her boyfriend (or some other obvious form of communication).  There could be a hundred reasons as to why she is not wearing a ring, and none of them are my business at that point.  But as has been previously said, I cannot know of the informal commitment unless I ask and hear from her, so avoiding her because she has been seen in the general proximity of another male does not seem like a good way to go about things.  Continuing to pursue her after she has made it clear that she is committed to someone else would elicit the same feelings in me as the "don't do it" crowd have about the matter. 

What he said.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #589 on: April 25, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »

But so long as those promises are 'implicit', I certainly don't think there's any sin in asking. Because as long as they are implicit, *someone* (most likely the man, but possibly the woman or both) is keeping their options open--because if they weren't, they would go ahead and make it 'explicit'

...in my circle of acquaintance is a couple who have been dating for 7 years. For at least the last 3, she has wanted to get married. He says he plans to marry her, he says when he pictures his future, it's always with them together--but right now's just not the right time because at first he was focussing on his career, and now he's focusing on his start-up business...

I know that this is probably very stupid of me to disagree with a married man old enough to be my father with years more knowledge and experience than me, but Mr Witega, I feel inclined to disagree with you on a couple of points here. Sometimes making their committment 'explicit' is much harder than some of these oldsters on here make it out to me because we come from different generations. Nowadays getting married for younger people is not as easy as the elders are making it out to be; you need money. You said yourself that a man should put his girlfriend/life/fiance higher than almost everything and take care of her as much as he can, and how is he supposed to do that if he does not have money yet? He needs to focus first on getting his job and cash flow coming in. And that is not as easy as it may have been for the oldsters. Nowadays college is almost essential for a decent job and finishing high-school is mandatory and college costs money as well, so it really is a hard process. If anything, it seems more immature to me to just marry a woman because you 'love her' relying solely on your emotional impulses and not reason, because even if you marry her, she is still going to struggle as the couple struggles economically. If he really loved her, then he would put off marriage for a while until he can get his money. I don't know if this is a wise decision or not, so your input would be appreciated, but I've sort of implicitely decided that I would not marry until I am economically stable.

James - God gave you a brain and you are using it to actually think about the things people are saying to you. That's not stupid at all. Uncritically accepting every piece of advice that comes your way is almost as bad as refusing to take any advice at all--and that goes triple because I'm just some random stranger on the internet.

Despite that, I'm going to give you some further advice now, which you can do whatever you want with:

First and foremost, avoid the trap of thinking your generation (which is the generation of my daughters and Punch's sons) is unique. Every generation since at least 1800 has thought that, and they've always been wrong. Technology makes some things go faster, specifics change here and there--but people are still people, and the world is still the world. It took money to support a family, and the more education and skill you had the easier it was to make that money, when I was in my 20s and starting my family. And the same was true when my parents were starting their family, and when my grandparents were trying to scrape their way of out the Great Depression. The fact that they did it is not evidence that it was 'easier'--its just evidence that when you accept something needs to be done, you do it and don't worry about the excuses.

Now, as to the main substance of your post: Honestly, the money is generally just an excuse. I'm not directing that at you. At 16, you still have years of figuring out who you are and what you want to try to do with your life before you should start worrying about who want to share the rest of that life with. And neither Punch nor I is saying 'COMMIT NOW'. What we've been saying is that if *don't* commit, then be prepared to live with the consequences. And at 16, (or 18 or 20) you should *want* to live with the consequences--life-long commitments are down the road for you. But in the case of my example couple--she's a professional with her own career that she has no plans to give up after marriage. He's an experienced and skilled computer programmer who I know for a fact has turned down well-paying jobs because he thinks he can eventually make more with his start-up (and he just likes being his own boss). Based on just her salary or the salary he could have if he took on of those job offers, they would be better off, more 'financially secure', than I was when my girls were little. He's making a choice, and its based on his priorities.

Which brings me to some comments about money, financial stability, and priorities.
First off, you are never *ever* going to have enough money to provide for your loved ones in the manner they deserve. This is kind of integral to the 'loved' part. For example, someday hopefully you will meet a fine upstanding Orthodox woman, the two of you will fall in love and get married. You will want to buy her a ring. And if all you can afford is a cubic zirconium, you will wish you could afford a real diamond. And if you can afford a half-carat, you will wish you could afford a full carat. And if you can afford a full carat, you will wish you could afford 5 carats. And if you can afford 5 carats, you'll wish you can afford to pay an artistic genius to create a unique work of jewelry just for her. And you will wish this even though as a fine upstanding Orthodox woman, she tells you she doesn't care about jewelry. You will wish it even if she tells you she wants you to halve your ring budget and give the other half to charity, and you will wish it even though, if she really is the right woman, she really will be happy with whatever you can afford. You will want this because if you love her, you will know that she deserves all the best things in life--and you are going to have to live with the fact that not even Bill Gates can provide *all* the best things in life. Second example: A five-year old can entertain himself for days with a cardboard box and a stick. But you will spend considerably more than the cost of a box and a stick every birthday and every Christmas. In fact, at some point, you'll talk yourself into going over budget to buy one particularly neat toy--only to have your child playing with it for 10 minutes, then wander off to spend the next couple of hours climbing in and out of the box it came in. Indeed with kids, the more money you have, the more careful you have to be about *not* spending everything you can on them so as to not ruin their developing sense of value and work ethic.

Second, 'financial stability' is an illusion (Luke 12:15-23). I knew a man who waited until his late 30s to get married because he was concentrating on building his business. And he was very successful at that. When I met him in his late 50s, he was a multi-millionaire with a mansion in the most expensive part of Dallas. Then, just as he was putting 3 kids through college, the commercial real estate bubble in Texas burst and he went from being worth tens of millions to owing millions. His kids went from Christmas vacations in Vale or Europe to working two jobs just to finish their degrees and his first grandchild was born on welfare. I'm not saying don't be sensible with your money or don't make plans--but if 'financial stability' is your priority, then it is one you will never set aside. Because when you get to a certain level of stability, you need more money to guarantee you can stay at that level--I'm doing fine now, and I have decent savings--but if I had lost my job in the recent downturn, my family could not have stayed at our current level for long on those saving. So to guarantee we could stay at our current level, I would need to make much more money than I have now--but once you're making much more money, the level has changed and you start looking at what you have to make on top of that to guarantee that new level. The more you feed your *need* for money (whether you couch the need as 'financial stability' or 'independence' or raw greed) the more it grows (like any other passion). So be responsibile with your money--but be aware that nothing in this world is ever certain and never prioritize it over more important things--

because (and this is a piece of advice I specifically give my daughters when considering guys): 'Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also'. People get into habits of mind. And once they do, those habits do not change just because you know they should. If you spend years prioritizing your job and financial stability over the woman in your life, then there is no magic about a wedding ring (to borrow from akimoro) that is going to change that when you do finally get married. That millionaire? He always struck me as one of the loneliest people I've ever met. He provided his family a much better life, in financial terms, than I've ever done for my family. But he barely knew them.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #590 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:05 PM »

PUnch basically answered this much more concisely while I was typing my response up, but anyway....
Witega, if Punch hadn't included "or strong informal", I wouldn't have asked that question. In context, however, I think it makes perfect sense to wonder, as your actions are going to based on how you judge such a situation, so it'd be good to try to be relatively confident that you know in fact that any of the scenarios you're thinking of actually apply (e.g., that she actually isn't going to be seeing that guy again, to use one of your examples).

Anyway...when is it acceptable...I would say that the "she's sick of her guy and looking for an out" standard is acceptable. That seems like something different than deciding for yourself that you're better than her current guy* and are going to try to break them up so that she will hopefully date you instead.

I used your earlier post to pose a question to everyone having heart-palpitations at the very idea that people who have not made a permanent commitment should not be treated the same as those who have, but your response here brings me back to the same question--if you don't ask, how do you know? I mean honestly, I am not sure how some of you ever ask a woman out at all while sticking to these artificial rules. If you find something attractive about a woman, then it's almost guaranteed that other men have noticed the same attractive qualities and asked her out before you. And since she (most likely) is not gifted with precognitive knowledge that you are going to come along later, she's had no reason not to say 'yes' to the perfectly valid invitations, even if she doesn't know if that relationship is going to lead to permanence (or even in some cases where she knows its not). So the number of women who are seeing *someone* on a regular or semi-regular basis, but who consider themselves still available is far higher than the number of women who are completely unattached. And yet from the violence of some of the responses, people seem to think it's not appropriate to ask a woman out unless you are absolutely sure there is no other man in the picture. And the number of dateable women for whome there is *no* other man in the picture is ridiculously small. If the woman does have a commitment to the man--she'll tell you and you can move on. But if she doesn't, how do you guys ever find that out?

"try to break them up"

I have to ask what you even mean by this? Remembering that I already explictly stated what should have been assumed on this site--that behavior which is immoral in a general context is also immoral (and therefore to be avoided) in a courting context. So no gossiping about the other guy. No lying about him or about yourself (i.e., telling the woman you're ready to commit *to her* when you are really just looking for the opportunity to find out if you might want to do so). Definitely no getting her drunk in an attempt to seduce her or hacking her computer or... do I really need to continue? So what actual action is that you are thinking is immoral? Is telling a woman--who you don't know what kind of relationship she is currently in--"I find you attractive and would like to get to know you better" a sin? Is asking "You don't seem happy, what's the matter" a sin?

* - I'm not sure I really buy the idea that it's just being an alternative, as though there's no implicit (or potentially explicit) value-judgment being made here. Everyone is just an alternative, but without any reason to choose one over another if we're going to somehow remove the natural impulse to make ourselves look better in comparison to someone else. That's how it works, no? I have a feeling I may be misunderstanding you here...

I don't understand how this issue is any diffent whether the woman is 'attached' or 'unattached'. If you ask a woman out, presumably two things are true--a) you think you will enjoy being with her (whether it's just for an evening of a pleasant conversation or if you are thinking more long term), and b) you think she will enjoy being with you (again whether  you are thinking about this one date or about a whole life or something in between. If b) is not true, then you need to not be wasting any woman's time and instead working on your own issues. If b) is true, then that doesn't mean you think you are definitely the better option for her out of all possible options. Indeed, if you only pursue women that you are sure you are the best option for then you are either an unregenerate narcisissist or you are setting your sights ridiculously (I should say terrifyingly) low. The point is, it's not your judgement to make--it's hers. And just as with the issue of whether she's actually available or not, you won't know her judgment--unless you ask.

(And that's particularly true if your in the camp that's arguing that simply by dating a woman, you have made it immoral for any other man to approach her. By that logic, the very act of asking a woman out on the 3rd date, or whatever the magic number is, is closing her off from considering any other options--so morally you can only do it if you know you are the best option).

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #591 on: April 25, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

I used your earlier post to pose a question to everyone having heart-palpitations at the very idea that people who have not made a permanent commitment should not be treated the same as those who have, but your response here brings me back to the same question--if you don't ask, how do you know? I mean honestly, I am not sure how some of you ever ask a woman out at all while sticking to these artificial rules.

I'm not sure what this has to do with what I posted, as I wasn't about trying to stick to "artificial rules", but instead to see how Punch would judge such a thing, for purely pragmatic reasons.

If you find something attractive about a woman, then it's almost guaranteed that other men have noticed the same attractive qualities and asked her out before you. And since she (most likely) is not gifted with precognitive knowledge that you are going to come along later, she's had no reason not to say 'yes' to the perfectly valid invitations, even if she doesn't know if that relationship is going to lead to permanence (or even in some cases where she knows its not). So the number of women who are seeing *someone* on a regular or semi-regular basis, but who consider themselves still available is far higher than the number of women who are completely unattached.

Granted.

And yet from the violence of some of the responses, people seem to think it's not appropriate to ask a woman out unless you are absolutely sure there is no other man in the picture. And the number of dateable women for whome there is *no* other man in the picture is ridiculously small. If the woman does have a commitment to the man--she'll tell you and you can move on. But if she doesn't, how do you guys ever find that out?

Well, for myself, as I clarified some posts ago, I had assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the situation that James talked about was one of those clear situations wherein the girl turned James down specifically because she's got a boyfriend and isn't interested in him. So my reading of the original post didn't really lend itself to any of the grey area that I know is there. That said, I don't disagree with any of this.

"try to break them up"

I have to ask what you even mean by this?

It is self-explanatory, I'd think. You've really never seen this happen?

Remembering that I already explictly stated what should have been assumed on this site...

I must've missed this passage/post.

Is telling a woman--who you don't know what kind of relationship she is currently in--"I find you attractive and would like to get to know you better" a sin? Is asking "You don't seem happy, what's the matter" a sin?

Nope.

* - I'm not sure I really buy the idea that it's just being an alternative, as though there's no implicit (or potentially explicit) value-judgment being made here. Everyone is just an alternative, but without any reason to choose one over another if we're going to somehow remove the natural impulse to make ourselves look better in comparison to someone else. That's how it works, no? I have a feeling I may be misunderstanding you here...

I don't understand how this issue is any diffent whether the woman is 'attached' or 'unattached'. If you ask a woman out, presumably two things are true--a) you think you will enjoy being with her (whether it's just for an evening of a pleasant conversation or if you are thinking more long term), and b) you think she will enjoy being with you (again whether  you are thinking about this one date or about a whole life or something in between. If b) is not true, then you need to not be wasting any woman's time and instead working on your own issues. If b) is true, then that doesn't mean you think you are definitely the better option for her out of all possible options.

No, but you must [think you] have something to offer that will make you a good choice compared to her current guy, or else why would you bother?

Indeed, if you only pursue women that you are sure you are the best option for then you are either an unregenerate narcisissist or you are setting your sights ridiculously (I should say terrifyingly) low.

Huh? I think we're misunderstanding each other. As I read your original post, it's not about being better than the current guy, but just being an alternative. My only point is that it must be about being a comparably better alternative in some way, as simply existing is generally not enough to attract the ladies (Orthonorm excepted?). That was my only point. Nothing about being better than all possible options, and basically the opposite of low self-esteem.

The point is, it's not your judgement to make--it's hers. And just as with the issue of whether she's actually available or not, you won't know her judgment--unless you ask.

Indeed.

(And that's particularly true if your in the camp that's arguing that simply by dating a woman, you have made it immoral for any other man to approach her. By that logic, the very act of asking a woman out on the 3rd date, or whatever the magic number is, is closing her off from considering any other options--so morally you can only do it if you know you are the best option).

Yeah, that's also not what I'm saying. Remember, as per above, my original stance in this thread was within the assumed context that James had already received a clear no from the girl because she was committed to her boyfriend. In subsequent posts, when I realized that I was reading something into it that might not be there, I modified my stance.

I don't think there are nearly as many absolutes in dating as it probably seems in this "camp", but as I've responded to Punch, I do like having some general standards by which I try to conduct myself with regard to relationships. One of those includes not messing with established (or what Punch has called "strong informal") relationships. That's all. I don't think we're actually disagreeing on that point, only discussing the finer points of where the line is. Hence all the questions to make sure we're all on the same page.

[/quote]

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #592 on: April 25, 2012, 05:27:59 PM »

Thank you, Witega. So let me share with you what I think I have learned or insights I have gained from your advice. I would say that the most important thing I learned from you is that where my treasure is, that is where my heart is. I guess I do put too much of an emphasis on wealth in my life sometimes; sometimes even thinking that wealth is the most important thing to provide my family if I ever have one in the future. I guess I just worry about them having to live a crappy life for lack of a better term. I mean, my family never had very much, so I'd like to at least give them something more than we had. I also know that I would not want my daughter to marry someone who cannot at least give them enough money to survive, so I just find it kind of selfish and immature to marry if I do not even at least have a job. However, as you also stated, there is no such thing as pure financial stability and having as much as I want for them; there is always the risk that it could go away as fast as it came, and I will always desire to give them more than what I have. But this is not always possible and sometimes I just have to work with what I have, and a good woman would understand that and love me anyway. And if I focus too much on wealth, then I could possibly neglect giving them emotional or personal support as a father/husband. Also, as you stated, although each generation may have been different and unique in its own way, they still faced the same general problems, and people dealt with them. And it is no different for my generation and your daughters' generation; we have our own load of problems but we deal with them and make the best.

I guess the final thing is more about the original topic. You're basically advising me that dating is a competition, and although I should not try to disrupt a relationship or marriage if a woman tells me she is not available, there is still nothing wrong with extending an offer? And that 'stealing' a woman away from someone is sort of an oxymoron considering that she had an option and chose me rather than me literally going in, forcing her to follow me and stole her. And probably most importantly, when it comes to weighing down and thinking about the benefits and disadvantages of dating a certain person or engaging in a particular competition, I should think with my head rationally instead of letting Mr. Happy influence my decisions? I think that I have done that with my current situation. I have decided that it is not worth it to go after this girl. The reason is because we're in high-school and chances are that the relationship won't last and lead to a marriage in the future but end with a break-up, and that break-up would probably affect the relationship with my best friend, who is her brother. I do not think that losing my best friend over a relationship that will not probably last is worth it. So I think that I am going to let her go for now, unless somehow in the distant future marriage is actually a possibility and we're still in contact, then I'll reconsider it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
witega
OC.net guru

« Reply #593 on: April 25, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »

Thank you, Witega. So let me share with you what I think I have learned or insights I have gained from your advice. I would say that the most important thing I learned from you is that where my treasure is, that is where my heart is. I guess I do put too much of an emphasis on wealth in my life sometimes; sometimes even thinking that wealth is the most important thing to provide my family if I ever have one in the future. I guess I just worry about them having to live a crappy life for lack of a better term. I mean, my family never had very much, so I'd like to at least give them something more than we had. I also know that I would not want my daughter to marry someone who cannot at least give them enough money to survive, so I just find it kind of selfish and immature to marry if I do not even at least have a job. However, as you also stated, there is no such thing as pure financial stability and having as much as I want for them; there is always the risk that it could go away as fast as it came, and I will always desire to give them more than what I have. But this is not always possible and sometimes I just have to work with what I have, and a good woman would understand that and love me anyway. And if I focus too much on wealth, then I could possibly neglect giving them emotional or personal support as a father/husband. Also, as you stated, although each generation may have been different and unique in its own way, they still faced the same general problems, and people dealt with them. And it is no different for my generation and your daughters' generation; we have our own load of problems but we deal with them and make the best.

I guess the final thing is more about the original topic. You're basically advising me that dating is a competition, and although I should not try to disrupt a relationship or marriage if a woman tells me she is not available, there is still nothing wrong with extending an offer? And that 'stealing' a woman away from someone is sort of an oxymoron considering that she had an option and chose me rather than me literally going in, forcing her to follow me and stole her. And probably most importantly, when it comes to weighing down and thinking about the benefits and disadvantages of dating a certain person or engaging in a particular competition, I should think with my head rationally instead of letting Mr. Happy influence my decisions? I think that I have done that with my current situation. I have decided that it is not worth it to go after this girl. The reason is because we're in high-school and chances are that the relationship won't last and lead to a marriage in the future but end with a break-up, and that break-up would probably affect the relationship with my best friend, who is her brother. I do not think that losing my best friend over a relationship that will not probably last is worth it. So I think that I am going to let her go for now, unless somehow in the distant future marriage is actually a possibility and we're still in contact, then I'll reconsider it.

Grin
About the only thing I add to that summary is that if you can keep Mr. Happy from influencing your decisions you're a better man than I and well on your way to sainthood. The more realistic goal for most of us is don't let him *control* your decisions.

Oh, and I believe you mentioned on another thread that you are in the Bay Area but have yet to visit St. John's relics. Find a way to get over there. Their presence in your city is a massive blessing you are not availing yourself of.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #594 on: April 25, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »

Oh, and I believe you mentioned on another thread that you are in the Bay Area but have yet to visit St. John's relics. Find a way to get over there. Their presence in your city is a massive blessing you are not availing yourself of.

I'll try to find a way over there. I might have to wait until I get my license in a few months though. I doubt my parents will want to take me or be interested.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #595 on: April 25, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »

I am simply stating that, in this current world, where people do not marry at seventeen or nineteen and relationships routinely run on for many years before rings are exchanged, the reality is that people in relationships increasingly rely on implicit promises of loyalty and fidelity and those around them become increasingly unwilling to disturb those things as the relationship becomes more and more "serious". It takes time for such commitment and societal recognition of it to crystallise. My proof of this is that no-one takes seriously a marriage formalised during a drunken night in Vegas, though they might with time and demonstrated loyalty and fidelity.

I think that one place you and I are more talking past each other than disagreeing is on this issue of commitment. Remember, the conversation started with JamesR's question about a *high school* relationship. As such, I've been mainly thinking and talking about people who are dating--whereas you seem to be focusing on people in long-term relationships who are living together or basically in a common-law marriage etc.

If a couple has been together for years (particularly living together) and everybody 'knows' there is something implicit between them, I probably wouldn't advise interfering (pointing to Liza and Delphine's witness that if the woman actually believes there's a commitment, you're just going to get shot down). But so long as those promises are 'implicit', I certainly don't think there's any sin in asking. Because as long as they are implicit, *someone* (most likely the man, but possibly the woman or both) is keeping their options open--because if they weren't, they would go ahead and make it 'explicit' (and by that I include not only formal marriages, because I have known couples who for various reasons (feminist rejection of marriage as a Patriarchal control mechanism, didn't have an RC annulment and were RC enough not to get remarried without one--but not RC enough to keep from living together as man and wife in its absence) did not have the formal marriage but actually considered themselves committed for life and publicly spoke that way).

Let me put it this way, in my circle of acquaintance is a couple who have been dating for 7 years. For at least the last 3, she has wanted to get married. He says he plans to marry her, he says when he pictures his future, it's always with them together--but right now's just not the right time because at first he was focussing on his career, and now he's focusing on his start-up business, and ... As far as I'm concerned, if any man comes along who's willing to put a higher priority on the girl than her current boyfriend and give her what she wants and deserves, he'd be doing the right thing by both of them. On the other hand, I'd never advise someone to actually pursue her, because I know several guys who have tried and gotten nowhere--because she is actually committed, even if he is not. But if he wants me (or anyone else) to respect his commitment--then he needs to actually make it.

I think this is all fair.

I would only comment that, often, the events leading to the break-up are not as clean as a polite and explicit request for a date/relationship.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #596 on: April 25, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »

Unfortunately, your analysis misses that there was no marriage registry in Eden. The married state was simply the commitment of two individuals to exist in mutual union to the exclusion of others, as honoured by the community. It was so for, at least, many centuries. It is the breach of this arrangement which the Lord and the Fathers called "adultery".

I am simply stating that, in this current world, where people do not marry at seventeen or nineteen and relationships routinely run on for many years before rings are exchanged, the reality is that people in relationships increasingly rely on implicit promises of loyalty and fidelity and those around them become increasingly unwilling to disturb those things as the relationship becomes more and more "serious". It takes time for such commitment and societal recognition of it to crystallise. My proof of this is that no-one takes seriously a marriage formalised during a drunken night in Vegas, though they might with time and demonstrated loyalty and fidelity.

For my part, I would prefer not to be a contributor to the heartbreak of another person, even if not the ultimate cause. Do unto others and all that. I suppose there's no harm in admitting to being a sap and a sentimentalist, so please consider me so.

I think that you need to study Judeo /  Christian marriage a little more closely.  Marriage was NOT two people deciding that they were in love and slowing building into a marriage.  Marriage was (and continues to be in many places) an agreement between families, often with NO consent between the marrying parties.  There were marriage rituals BEFORE there was a Church, and these rituals determined when a marriage took place.  There was also no sex before a marriage.  Finding your new wife to be anything other than a virgin was a death sentence for her.  Marriage, as pertaining to Orthodox Christians and their predecessors, has always been a VERY formalized affair, even before the Church rituals that we have today.  There was even a formalized betrothal, which could last years, before a marriage was consummated.  As we see in the Gospels, the only way to end a betrothal was by a divorce.

This analysis is true of most of relevant history, but does not account for the "marriage" in Eden ("for this reason a man will leave his mother and father and cleave unto another", &c.). I am not suggesting that the ancients went on cute little dates with regularity over the span of a few years before deciding to marry, but a couple of families agreeing their son and daughter should shack up together and have babies (and the rest of the community respecting that decision) is as "formal" as it got in many places, for many centuries.

I suppose the problem here is that I do not understand the modern customs of this country.  It seems that all young men and women are these days are f***buddies and the relationship between them has nothing to do with Orthodoxy, or even Christianity for that matter.  In such cases, make up your own rules.  But if you come to an Orthodox forum to ask these questions of Orthodox people, expect Orthodox answers.  I dare you to find any support for your position in any of the religious writings of our Church.  As to what other cultures do, I do not care.  I am not on their forums.  I still hold the very old fashioned view that if you screw, you are married.  My priest holds the same view.  Anything after that with another woman is adultery.  So, if being in a boyfriend / girlfriend relationship means that you are living together and banging like bunnies, then I guess you are already married in my world.  However, if you are truly simply boyfriend and girlfriend, then what Witega and I have written holds true, in our religion.  I committed to marry my wife the first time we slept together.  And I did.  And I have remained true to her for all these years.  I guess if you advocate some other arrangement, I have nothing more to say since we are not discussing apples and apples.

I think this is fair, and suggests we have more commonality than I have made out. I have not meant to suggest that teenage girls who have been on four or five dates with a boy are his property, though I can see that I have made a few overstatements which would tend in that direction.

The fact that you say a sexual relationship is (basically) a marriage is proof of my contention of that marriage is not something which exists by virtue of having been formalised in a registry somewhere. The only thing I have argued is that formalising a marriage in a registry does not instantaneously convey some sort of sacrosanctity. It is the agreement of the community to honour a relationship as exclusive that matters.

I guess what bothers me is, like Witega, my marriage is the second most important thing in my life, right after my God.  When people ask my advice in the matter, I give the advice in this light.  It kind of upsets me when a person asks a serious question about the courtship, which should be leading to marriage, only to have so many experts that have never been married dispense with opinions that have little to nothing to do with the teachings of our Church.  It confuses me.  If I have a problem with my car, I would certainly never seek the advice of someone who has never successfully repaired an automobile.  But regarding a Sacrament of the Church, everyone is an expert.  But I guess what we have here is just the wisdom of today's world.

I have sympathy with this, but you are kinda suggesting that people who have not been married have no idea about the sacraments of the Church or the teaching of the Fathers, while you have automatically acquired such knowledge simply by being married. Surely the truth is somewhat more nuanced.

Anyway, I am constantly being told by hobby lawyers what the law is, so I suppose we should all just get used to it.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #597 on: April 25, 2012, 08:21:15 PM »

I suppose there's no harm in asking.

My visceral reaction to the idea of "stealing" someone is based on the feeling that such a stealing is often not accomplished by a simple, polite request for a date.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #598 on: April 25, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »

Personally, I wish that we still had arranged marriage. That would make things a lot easier and simple. Maybe our whole new concept of 'loving' and getting to 'know someone' before we marry them is all wrong. I mean, it only leads to a ton of breakups and divorce. I even read once somewhere that arranged marriages have lower divorce rates. Maybe the old way of things was actually superior; you marry the person whom your family arranged for you to marry and you two learn to love each other and get to know each other as you progress in your marriage. I'd just hope that my parents had good taste for me and picked someone from an Orthodox family; although I doubt they would and would instead probably leave me stuck with some western Protestant.

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #599 on: April 25, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »

I have sympathy with this, but you are kinda suggesting that people who have not been married have no idea about the sacraments of the Church or the teaching of the Fathers, while you have automatically acquired such knowledge simply by being married. Surely the truth is somewhat more nuanced.

Anyway, I am constantly being told by hobby lawyers what the law is, so I suppose we should all just get used to it.

The truth is very much more nuanced.  Sorry if my statements came out that way, since I was not even thinking of the Fathers when I wrote that.  I would say that people that have been married and gone through the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of marriage have a better idea of what they are talking about regarding marriage.  As to the rules and regulations, simply being married does nothing about that.  I have been studying those longer than I have been married, so I am not ignorant of them.  My Godfather, a monk, once told me the following when I asked him some questions about living a Holy life.  He said "You are a married man, so seek your guidance from a married priest.  I fight a different battle than you do and should not be advising you on matters that I do not know.  Since the priest has a wife and a family, he will be better able to advise you."  That is what I had more in mind when I wrote the above.  A single guy can quote the Fathers as well, if not better, than I can.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #600 on: April 25, 2012, 08:34:42 PM »

The truth is very much more nuanced.  Sorry if my statements came out that way, since I was not even thinking of the Fathers when I wrote that.  I would say that people that have been married and gone through the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of marriage have a better idea of what they are talking about regarding marriage.  As to the rules and regulations, simply being married does nothing about that.  I have been studying those longer than I have been married, so I am not ignorant of them.  My Godfather, a monk, once told me the following when I asked him some questions about living a Holy life.  He said "You are a married man, so seek your guidance from a married priest.  I fight a different battle than you do and should not be advising you on matters that I do not know.  Since the priest has a wife and a family, he will be better able to advise you."  That is what I had more in mind when I wrote the above.  A single guy can quote the Fathers as well, if not better, than I can.

Thanks, Punch.

You are generous and, I think, right on this point.

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #601 on: April 25, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »

Personally, I wish that we still had arranged marriage. That would make things a lot easier and simple. Maybe our whole new concept of 'loving' and getting to 'know someone' before we marry them is all wrong. I mean, it only leads to a ton of breakups and divorce. I even read once somewhere that arranged marriages have lower divorce rates. Maybe the old way of things was actually superior; you marry the person whom your family arranged for you to marry and you two learn to love each other and get to know each other as you progress in your marriage. I'd just hope that my parents had good taste for me and picked someone from an Orthodox family; although I doubt they would and would instead probably leave me stuck with some western Protestant.

I knew an Orthodox Arab woman like that.  The first time she saw her husband was the day she married him.  We was working a farm in Western Nebraska and wrote home to Syria to have them send him a wife.  They did.  My wife was in awe of this and asked if she loved him.  She said that in those days, you learned to love your spouse.  Her husband passed away long before we met her, and she never even entertained the thought of marrying anyone else other than the man that she was sent to marry.  It can work.  But there are stories where it does not.  To know her was to know a Saint.  

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #602 on: April 26, 2012, 05:06:04 AM »

this has been quite an interesting topic, and  the subsequent clarifications of points given have been very helpful. thanks all.

with Love,
 angel

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2012, 05:13:49 AM »

Alright fellas I have great news. I just found out through a lyric website that Steve-O, yeah the same guy who was in MTV's Jackbutt, was dating Elisabetta Canalis and he dumped her.

Yes let that sink in for a moment.

This guy:

Was dating this girl:

The great mystery of 2012 has revealed itself.

So take hope, we all too can have a supermodel of our own sans our looks and money.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
britgirl
I'm a smarmy college student.

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Antiochian?

إسمي عائشة وأنا طالبة في جامعة :)

« Reply #604 on: May 05, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »

As someone who has literally thirty+ friends due to have/already have arranged marriages, I can tell you that it is not THAT clean. I have a close friend whose parents are choosing her husband in order to further her father's political career in another country (they will choose someone in the same political party and have told my friend that she will not have a say. She has accepted this.) Yet another is in love with a guy and has been for years, but her parents do not think his family is "worthy" to be tied with theirs. All of these girls and guys are American-born. Marriages like these are often (but not always) used as a tie between families for some kind of gain, be it political, social (climbing the social ladder) or even financial (think family-owned businesses).

I'm only twenty and this is the reality of my South Asian and Arab friends across several different religions. The stress I see my friends under and the worry that their parents will choose "well" for them (in regards to social, financial and educational standards) but not someone they'll actually love. It's a huge burden for these people. It's not easier for an arranged marriage--it's an entirely different idea with its own set of issues, just like a "love" marriage has.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:15:26 PM by britgirl » Logged

"Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established." - Proverbs 16:3

"There never was a good war or a bad peace." --Ben Franklin

يا ربّ ارحم

It ain't me talking fast, it's just you listening slow.

International Relations: Middle East/Africa; Muslim Studies (B.A. 2014)
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #605 on: May 05, 2012, 02:13:40 PM »

As someone who has literally thirty+ friends due to have/already have arranged marriages, I can tell you that it is not THAT clean. I have a close friend whose parents are choosing her husband in order to further her father's political career in another country (they will choose someone in the same political party and have told my friend that she will not have a say. She has accepted this.) Yet another is in love with a guy and has been for years, but her parents do not think his family is "worthy" to be tied with theirs. All of these girls and guys are American-born. Marriages like these are often (but not always) used as a tie between families for some kind of gain, be it political, social (climbing the social ladder) or even financial (think family-owned businesses).

I'm only twenty and this is the reality of my South Asian and Arab friends across several different religions. The stress I see my friends under and the worry that their parents will choose "well" for them (in regards to social, financial and educational standards) but not someone they'll actually love. It's a huge burden for these people. It's not easier for an arranged marriage--it's an entirely different idea with its own set of issues, just like a "love" marriage has.

Without actually opining about which is better, you didn't really answer his question. The examples you used were of people who 'will be' married, not those who are already established in the marriage.

I'm going to need this.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2012, 02:48:16 AM »

These posts are getting bigger, and that's a lot of words.

"The Prince" is one of my favorite books.  I keep a copy on my desk at work.

It's been a few years since I read it. I need to reread it.

I just wrote a paper on it and Hobbes' "Leviathan".

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #607 on: May 06, 2012, 04:13:46 AM »

How do you get a woman's attention when you feel invisible like she does not even know that you exist?

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2012, 04:20:48 AM »

Become fatter and fatter until eventually she'll have to notice you because you take up so much physical space in her field of vision.

It probably won't get you dates, but it will get you noticed!

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #609 on: May 06, 2012, 04:26:18 AM »

How do you get a woman's attention when you feel invisible like she does not even know that you exist?
Why do you want to get her attention if you don't know her? Or, how did you get to know her if she doesn't know you exist?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 04:26:33 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #610 on: May 06, 2012, 05:22:57 AM »

Why do you want to get her attention if you don't know her? Or, how did you get to know her if she doesn't know you exist?

Bit of an over-statement I suppose. It is this one nice Slavic girl at my Church. She's just so quiet and shy, (almost identical to me) and I've only spoken very few words to her in the past and made her laugh a few times, but other than that, I've never really sparked anything between us and she barely knows anything about me.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #611 on: May 06, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

Bit of an over-statement I suppose. It is this one nice Slavic girl at my Church. She's just so quiet and shy, (almost identical to me) and I've only spoken very few words to her in the past and made her laugh a few times, but other than that, I've never really sparked anything between us and she barely knows anything about me.
I think your moment to ask her out on a date was when you were making her laugh. But I'd go up and talk with her the next time you see her. If the conversation goes great end it by asking her to go on a date with you or hanging out someplace.

Don't be shy, what's the worst that can happen? She ignore you? Tells you no? Better to have known then never know at all only to regret you never made the move to find out.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #612 on: May 06, 2012, 08:24:28 AM »

Better to have known then never know at all only to regret you never made the move to find out.

Can punctuation save this sentence? Nah... The tenses are out of wack.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:25:14 AM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #613 on: May 06, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

What should I do, short of monasticism, if I have zero interest in relationships/marriage...? My ideal future at this point is living alone with a dog or two.

Is this a problem in the eyes of the Church?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 07:25:09 PM by NightOwl » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #614 on: May 06, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »

What should I do, short of monasticism, if I have zero interest in relationships/marriage...? My ideal future at this point is living alone with a dog or two.

The normative choice is between marriage and monasticism. That doesn't mean there are not exceptions, nor does it mean that there is only one right choice (ie a person may find a spiritual home on either path). It does mean that every Orthodox Christian should be in a relationship of obedience--typically this would be in obedience to one's spouse/children (in matrimony) or to a monastic community (monasticism). As my priest once told me, the Orthodox Church doesn't have celibacy--it has obedience.

Of course, the only real piece of advice I could give, would be to talk to your parish priest. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:05:07 PM by John of the North » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #615 on: May 06, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »

Oh, I am sure that you will find some in the "Church" that have a problem with this.  I am not one of them.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #616 on: May 06, 2012, 09:12:38 PM »

If you are living alone and living in celibacy as well as saying your prayers and building up yourself spiritually, are you any different than a monk?  In fact, you are probably living a harder lifestyle.  People live together in monasteries for the sense of fellowship.  You are taking on many of their burdens without their benefits. 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #617 on: May 07, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

Gosh, I hope not!

Shocked

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #618 on: May 17, 2012, 12:15:44 AM »

One of these days, I suppose I'll have to find myself a girlfriend. Trouble is: most girls around me at college either have different priorities at this point int their lives, are more concerned with alcohol and sex, or have been indoctrinated into all sorts of 3rd wave feminist causes. Not to mention the fact that I've always thought myself too busy with studies (and too broke) to have a relationship.

Hopefully this will change soon.

Also, I'm not just my parents' only child, I'm the only grandchild on both sides. Pressures kinda on me. Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #619 on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:03 AM »

One of these days, I suppose I'll have to find myself a girlfriend. Trouble is: most girls around me at college either have different priorities at this point int their lives, are more concerned with alcohol and sex, or have been indoctrinated into all sorts of 3rd wave feminist causes. Not to mention the fact that I've always thought myself too busy with studies (and too broke) to have a relationship.

Also, I'm not just my parents' only child, I'm the only grandchild on both sides. Pressures kinda on me. Tongue

In which case, after you are received into orthodoxy, then become a monastic Tongue

SCREW BON JOVI!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #620 on: May 17, 2012, 01:12:07 AM »

I haven't posted anything lately on this thread, but things have been a changin, and perhaps some of this news will help you guys take heart!  So anyway, I hooked up with this new girl a few months ago, Edwina. Things weren't all that serious, but one night we bought a case of Milwaukee's Best beer, and you know how good that stuff is, you just guzzle it down, so we ended up pretty far gone. Well, I blacked out. I'm not proud of it, but it happened. I didn't even realise it until weeks later though, I thought I had just gone to sleep!  But here's how I found out. A few weeks after that drinking night I was gonna break up with Eddy, so I just cut to the chase and said I wanted to see other people. Well she got all emotional, and frankly a little violent. I finally got her to leave, and I thought that was the end of it.

Then the next day she tells me that she preggers!  I was like "What are you talking about? We never had sex!"  Well apparently that night we drank all that beer I didn't know what I was doing and we ended up having sex before I passed out, but I just didn't remember it. And I was like, "but baby, you use an IUD..." and she said it must have fallen out or something. She's not showing yet, or getting sick or anything, but apparently this is legit! So take heart, things can happen in ways you never imagined!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #621 on: May 17, 2012, 01:34:32 AM »

As usual, Asteriktos, I appreciate the insight. I haven't up hope yet, and I haven't truly begun to fight (so-to-speak).

In which case, after you are received into orthodoxy, then become a monastic Tongue

I've never really felt the calling to be a monastic, though, which is why I'm hoping that it's the married life for me.

Either way, I'm 22. I have plenty of years left to discern these things. Heh, my Dad didn't marry until he was 35 (and he was a Roman Catholic--at the time--so I assume there was some pressure on him to be a monastic).

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #622 on: May 17, 2012, 01:52:37 AM »

My father is 62 this year and just got married for the fourth time. We're heading into Liz Taylor territory here, folks. My brother got married at 20 and was divorced by 25, so at least I got that nice little lesson from him (I'm three years younger than he is) not to marry my first serious girlfriend...hahaha. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person of my age (I'll be 30 in about three months) who is not in a rush to get married. Can ya blame me?

There are much worse things than being in your early 20s and not being married, Ironchapman. Enjoy being single and don't let your family put any undue pressure on you. Men aren't baby factories either.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:53:17 AM by dzheremi » Logged

ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #623 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:31 AM »

My father is 62 this year and just got married for the fourth time. We're heading into Liz Taylor territory here, folks. My brother got married at 20 and was divorced by 25, so at least I got that nice little lesson from him (I'm three years younger than he is) not to marry my first serious girlfriend...hahaha. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person of my age (I'll be 30 in about three months) who is not in a rush to get married. Can ya blame me?

There are much worse things than being in your early 20s and not being married, Ironchapman. Enjoy being single and don't let your family put any undue pressure on you. Men aren't baby factories either.
Glad I'm not alone, dzheremi!

My parents don't pressure me--or at least only rarely do so. It's more in my head. Still, I'd love to have a wife and kids one day.

In the mean time, I'm still working towards a Master's degree in History, and hopefully a doctorate. I'd like to be a professor one day. I've long been told I'd make a good teacher, and that's what I like doing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:06:38 AM by ironchapman » Logged

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #624 on: May 17, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »

There ya go. And what woman of quality wouldn't want a fancy Doctor-Professor for a husband? This is also my strategy hope. Cool
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:06:05 AM by dzheremi » Logged

ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #625 on: May 17, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »

There ya go. And what woman of quality wouldn't want a fancy Doctor-Professor for a husband? This is also my strategy hope. Cool

"Hey girl, I'm a doctor!" Tongue

As a personal thing, I have 3 basic things I'm looking for:

1. A Christian (now that I'm interested in Orthodoxy, I'd say preferably and Orthodox Christian)
2. Intelligent (I want to be able to carry on a good conversation with this person)
3. A kind and decent person (I mean, none of us are perfect here, but I'd like a girl that at least tries. For my part, I'll do the same)

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #626 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »

"Hey girl, I'm a doctor!"  Tongue

Hahaha.

"Honestly...I can prescribe anything I want!" Cool

"...aren't you a linguist?"

"Yeah. Just say the word...!"  Grin

Wow, Jeremy...what a great illustration of why you are still single!

(On the lookout for: A woman who finds my stupid sub-jokes funny. It's been a looooong 29 years. Haha.)

ironchapman
High Elder

« Reply #627 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37:21 AM »

BTW, who is the Saint (or Saints) for single people who are seeking a relationship (or however I should put it)?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #628 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »

I can count more divorces; I win.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #629 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01:05 AM »

BTW, who is the Saint (or Saints) for single people who are seeking a relationship (or however I should put it)?

St. Isaac of Nineveh; because the greatest relationship is the one with God.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: