OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 09:52:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 52188 times) Average Rating: 3
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »

I do not think women care about cars. Judging from every woman I have ever talked to, they seem to show little to no interest in a man's car. It might just be an unnecessary burden we are putting on ourselves. Besides, if a person has funk and style, then it does not matter what you are wearing or riding because you can sell it and make it look good.
But women care about that funk and style, surely. Dude how did you manage to get all life experiences at the age of 16 again?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #406 on: April 07, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »

I do not think women care about cars. Judging from every woman I have ever talked to, they seem to show little to no interest in a man's car. It might just be an unnecessary burden we are putting on ourselves. Besides, if a person has funk and style, then it does not matter what you are wearing or riding because you can sell it and make it look good.
But women care about that funk and style, surely. Dude how did you manage to get all life experiences at the age of 16 again?

My parents used to ask me this when I was 16. Sometimes they still ask me it, heh. Tongue

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #407 on: April 07, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »

If I ever get my life back, this thread needs some serious maintenance.

The blind are leading the blind. And yes I know the cause of your blindness. It certainly ain't congenital.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #408 on: April 07, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »

Why else would these two be criteria?

- Low maintenance.
- Must be "open minded" in the bedroom.

Well, actually, the thin----   wait, I can't talk about thaton this forum!!|!. NVM!  Grin
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #409 on: April 07, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »

The blind are leading the blind. And yes I know the cause of your blindness. It certainly ain't congenital.

Don't worry, I'll hold down the fort until you return, offering sage advice from my dragon's-treasure-pile of knowledge  police
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #410 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »

I look forward to it.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #411 on: April 07, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »

I look forward to it.

He's been saying that for months...  He's like an athlete who shows up every few months to assure everyone he's not going to retire, hoping his sponsors don't drop him like a rock.  Tongue
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #412 on: April 07, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »

Stop fronting that you have a life. You're just like the rest of us, trying to make sense out of Asteriktos life and spending hours on it.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #413 on: April 07, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »

Stop fronting that you have a life. You're just like the rest of us, trying to make sense out of Asteriktos life and spending hours on it.

Lost cause.  I got a sex change to please him and it still wasn't enough.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:06:09 PM by vamrat » Logged

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #414 on: April 08, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »

Someone once tried to insult me by saying I had "an oblique personality". I thanked him for the compliment.

But vamrat, I hadn't decided yet, don't be so glum. Tell you what, make a profile on fetlife and post a dozen or so pics, and I'll take a gander. Deal?  Grin
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #415 on: April 08, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Someone once tried to insult me by saying I had "an oblique personality". I thanked him for the compliment.

But vamrat, I hadn't decided yet, don't be so glum. Tell you what, make a profile on fetlife and post a dozen or so pics, and I'll take a gander. Deal?  Grin

[sniffle]  Ok  [sniffle]

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #416 on: April 08, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »

So there is this one girl at my Church, cute little blonde about my age. We don't talk very much, however, we have slightly been socializing a bit more, but not that much. Anyway, this saturday night for Pascha I kind of want to step it up a knotch with her. Wondering if anyone had any advice here since I'm a little sixteen year old and all of you wise old people have years of experience. What should I do? Stand by her, offer her my coat, put my arm around her, get a hotel, be a gentlemen, be an ass?

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #417 on: April 08, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »

So there is this one girl at my Church, cute little blonde about my age. We don't talk very much, however, we have slightly been socializing a bit more, but not that much. Anyway, this saturday night for Pascha I kind of want to step it up a knotch with her. Wondering if anyone had any advice here since I'm a little sixteen year old and all of you wise old people have years of experience. What should I do? Stand by her, offer her my coat, put my arm around her, get a hotel, be a gentlemen, be an ass?

Ask Cavaradossi around here about a killer inside joke about Tosca. If she makes the connection to the alluded word play, it will truly be an Easter marigold.

Or just chill. Don't discuss Russian mail order brides, the decay of Western Civilization, and just ask her a few questions about herself and pay attention and don't talk too much.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #418 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:27 PM »

Is this before or after the fasting starts again?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:51:34 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2012, 03:43:39 AM »

I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »

I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

The only advice I have is the warning that if stuff goes south it will be hard to work around him.  Also, since he is in at the firm and you are not yet this could potentially become a lop-sided relationship.  I'm not going to persuade or dissuade you, just pointing out two obvious drawbacks.

Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #421 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

Be a gentleman. But don't act like she's the only person in the room. You should wait until after the Fast to start dating someone.  Wink

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »

Be a gentleman. But don't act like she's the only person in the room. You should wait until after the Fast to start dating someone.  Wink

Yeah.  Would have been good to know about forty days ago...  Cry

Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: New Gracanica Metropolitanate

« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  Don't do it!  You are too young to end your life.

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »

Why wait?  Is this another made up "tradition" that can be found nowhere in Scripture and practiced by nearly no one?

God did not create man equal.  Samuel Colt made man equal.  Blessed be the Peacemaker.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #425 on: April 09, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

Ask your priest  Tongue

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #426 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

On possible route is to ask him out to lunch to discuss political strategery or something, and see what happens from there...
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #427 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

On possible route is to ask him out to lunch to discuss political strategery or something, and see what happens from there...
"I think the best way our guy can win is for you to follow me to the Motel 6....."

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Manalive
Иоанн
Elder

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate

It is later than we think.

« Reply #428 on: April 09, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »

Why wait?  Is this another made up "tradition" that can be found nowhere in Scripture and practiced by nearly no one?

Why yes. I just made it up. Since I clearly stated in my post this was a tradition practiced by the church you shouldn't even have to ask. I just figured my statement would be as obvious as your ending the young man's life with dating/marriage comment is also "traditional". It dare wouldn't be my own advice or opinion.

"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #429 on: April 09, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »

"I think the best way our guy can win is for you to follow me to the Motel 6....."

PP

Wow. What kind of dates are you going on, Primuspilus...

Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #430 on: April 09, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »

You stated such, but I do not believe you.

Why yes. I just made it up. Since I clearly stated in my post this was a tradition practiced by the church you shouldn't even have to ask. I just figured my statement would be as obvious as your ending the young man's life with dating/marriage comment is also "traditional". It dare wouldn't be my own advice or opinion.

JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #431 on: April 09, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »

Thank you Smiley

-Orthonorm
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #432 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »

Science has proven that the best place to go for advice on dating/relationships is a thread about this on a gaming forum. You can't refute science.
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #433 on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »

Science has proven that the best place to go for advice on dating/relationships is a thread about this on a gaming forum. You can't refute science.

Yes, nobody can give better advice than a bunch of 30 year old virgins living in their mom's basement.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #434 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Yes, nobody can give better advice than a bunch of 30 year old virgins living in their mom's basement.

You mad because they have an easier life than you? Yeah, you're mad...  Grin
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #435 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »

I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

PP

I'm not sure we really want to know what kind of dates Primuspilus goes on...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:35:57 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
Punch
Protokentarchos

« Reply #436 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »

Not only am I mad, but I am also angry.

Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

Not only am I mad, but I am also angry.

Well, maybe some day when they leave their geeky existence behind they'll do things that normal people do... like post on theology boards.  Kiss
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »

I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

PP

I'm not sure we really want to know what kind of dates Primuspilus goes on...
Well, I did marry my wife 3 weeks after we met.......

PP

Gregory the Great
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »

I'm so excited right now! Look at this email I just got...

You have a new message from vicky23. It reads:

vicky44u@yahoo.comHello.My Name is vicky i want to your profile today at
(orthodoxchristiandating.com) and i love it i think we can clcik from
thier!please i will like you to email me back through my email
thus;(vicky44u@yahoo.com)  am waiting to recive your lovely reply
soonest! Yours vicky    !please contact me through my email address so
i can give you my picture and tell you my datel have a nice day.

What should I do? *squeeeeee*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:12:01 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »

Wow, I just got the same email yesterday.

Would you rather duel or share?

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:45 AM »

Believe it or not, that is the easy part.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:34:43 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  Don't do it!  You are too young to end your life.

Best advice on this thread.  Don't start dating until you are ready to get married - realistically not until 22ish.   Figure out who you are first and live life a little.  The stress, pain, temptations and drama of dating just aren't worth it.  Marriage on the other hand certainly is. 
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2012, 07:07:26 AM »

Yeah buddy
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

Best advice on this thread.  Don't start dating until you are ready to get married - realistically not until 22ish.   Figure out who you are first and live life a little.  The stress, pain, temptations and drama of dating just aren't worth it.  Marriage on the other hand certainly is. 

Okay, I'll try to follow this advice. However, there probably will be moments when I forget about, let my feelings get to me or make mistakes. Is it strange to want to date because it makes me feel older? In a strange way, dating makes me feel like a man.

-Orthonorm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »

There's stress, pain, temptations and drama in dating? I'm not sure what dates you have been on.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Asteriktos
Protostrator

« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:59 AM »

I say we find another woman to bring into the picture, then you can have one woman for a year and I'll have the other, and then after the year has concluded we will have an exchange ceremony and switch for the next year.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »

I say we find another woman to bring into the picture, then you can have one woman for a year and I'll have the other, and then after the year has concluded we will have an exchange ceremony and switch for the next year.

Sounds like a plan.  I think I found the other woman, and she really sounds like a keeper.  He name is Naomi and she's the daughter of General Joseph K'pondowa of Nigeria.  She said that she has quite a fortune built up from her late father who died in the recent civil war but needs a bank account to store it up in.  She had heard that I'm a reliable man with finances (looks like my exes haven't been slandering me afterall!) so she'd like to deposit the money in my account.  I sent her the account information last night, so by this afternoon I should be a millionaire!  Oh how grand life can be sometimes!

ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

Some people get all the breaks... *sigh*

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »

Some people get all the breaks... *sigh*
laugh laugh laugh

Gregory the Great
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: