Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 92445 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Re: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column
« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
I do not think women care about cars. Judging from every woman I have ever talked to, they seem to show little to no interest in a man's car. It might just be an unnecessary burden we are putting on ourselves. Besides, if a person has funk and style, then it does not matter what you are wearing or riding because you can sell it and make it look good.
But women care about that funk and style, surely. Dude how did you manage to get all life experiences at the age of 16 again?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #406 on: April 07, 2012, 03:21:26 PM »
I do not think women care about cars. Judging from every woman I have ever talked to, they seem to show little to no interest in a man's car. It might just be an unnecessary burden we are putting on ourselves. Besides, if a person has funk and style, then it does not matter what you are wearing or riding because you can sell it and make it look good.
But women care about that funk and style, surely. Dude how did you manage to get all life experiences at the age of 16 again?

My parents used to ask me this when I was 16. Sometimes they still ask me it, heh. :P
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #407 on: April 07, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
If I ever get my life back, this thread needs some serious maintenance.

The blind are leading the blind. And yes I know the cause of your blindness. It certainly ain't congenital.

If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #408 on: April 07, 2012, 07:10:40 PM »
Why else would these two be criteria?

- Low maintenance.
- Must be "open minded" in the bedroom.

Well, actually, the thin----   wait, I can't talk about thaton this forum!!|!. NVM!  ;D

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #409 on: April 07, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »

The blind are leading the blind. And yes I know the cause of your blindness. It certainly ain't congenital.

Don't worry, I'll hold down the fort until you return, offering sage advice from my dragon's-treasure-pile of knowledge  :police:

Offline That person

• OC.net guru
  • Long live Commie Superman
« Reply #410 on: April 07, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »

I look forward to it.
"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #411 on: April 07, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »

I look forward to it.

He's been saying that for months...  He's like an athlete who shows up every few months to assure everyone he's not going to retire, hoping his sponsors don't drop him like a rock.  :P

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #412 on: April 07, 2012, 11:04:40 PM »

Stop fronting that you have a life. You're just like the rest of us, trying to make sense out of Asteriktos life and spending hours on it.
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #413 on: April 07, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »

Stop fronting that you have a life. You're just like the rest of us, trying to make sense out of Asteriktos life and spending hours on it.

Lost cause.  I got a sex change to please him and it still wasn't enough.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:06:09 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #414 on: April 08, 2012, 04:37:39 PM »

Someone once tried to insult me by saying I had "an oblique personality". I thanked him for the compliment.

But vamrat, I hadn't decided yet, don't be so glum. Tell you what, make a profile on fetlife and post a dozen or so pics, and I'll take a gander. Deal?  ;D

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #415 on: April 08, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Someone once tried to insult me by saying I had "an oblique personality". I thanked him for the compliment.

But vamrat, I hadn't decided yet, don't be so glum. Tell you what, make a profile on fetlife and post a dozen or so pics, and I'll take a gander. Deal?  ;D

[sniffle]  Ok  [sniffle]
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #416 on: April 08, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »
So there is this one girl at my Church, cute little blonde about my age. We don't talk very much, however, we have slightly been socializing a bit more, but not that much. Anyway, this saturday night for Pascha I kind of want to step it up a knotch with her. Wondering if anyone had any advice here since I'm a little sixteen year old and all of you wise old people have years of experience. What should I do? Stand by her, offer her my coat, put my arm around her, get a hotel, be a gentlemen, be an ass?
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #417 on: April 08, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
So there is this one girl at my Church, cute little blonde about my age. We don't talk very much, however, we have slightly been socializing a bit more, but not that much. Anyway, this saturday night for Pascha I kind of want to step it up a knotch with her. Wondering if anyone had any advice here since I'm a little sixteen year old and all of you wise old people have years of experience. What should I do? Stand by her, offer her my coat, put my arm around her, get a hotel, be a gentlemen, be an ass?

Ask Cavaradossi around here about a killer inside joke about Tosca. If she makes the connection to the alluded word play, it will truly be an Easter marigold.

Or just chill. Don't discuss Russian mail order brides, the decay of Western Civilization, and just ask her a few questions about herself and pay attention and don't talk too much.

If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #418 on: April 08, 2012, 11:51:27 PM »
Is this before or after the fasting starts again?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:51:34 PM by NicholasMyra »
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2012, 03:43:39 AM »
I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2012, 10:15:34 AM »
I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

The only advice I have is the warning that if stuff goes south it will be hard to work around him.  Also, since he is in at the firm and you are not yet this could potentially become a lop-sided relationship.  I'm not going to persuade or dissuade you, just pointing out two obvious drawbacks.

Offline Manalive

• Иоанн
  • Elder
  • It is later than we think.
« Reply #421 on: April 09, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

Be a gentleman. But don't act like she's the only person in the room. You should wait until after the Fast to start dating someone.  ;)
"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »

Be a gentleman. But don't act like she's the only person in the room. You should wait until after the Fast to start dating someone.  ;)

Yeah.  Would have been good to know about forty days ago...  :'(

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2012, 02:26:17 PM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  Don't do it!  You are too young to end your life.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »

Why wait?  Is this another made up "tradition" that can be found nowhere in Scripture and practiced by nearly no one?

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • Holy Trinity Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Western Rite Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: AOCNA - Diocese of Charleston and beyond
« Reply #425 on: April 09, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
Ask your priest  :P
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #426 on: April 09, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »

On possible route is to ask him out to lunch to discuss political strategery or something, and see what happens from there...

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #427 on: April 09, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

On possible route is to ask him out to lunch to discuss political strategery or something, and see what happens from there...
"I think the best way our guy can win is for you to follow me to the Motel 6....."

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Manalive

• Иоанн
  • Elder
  • It is later than we think.
« Reply #428 on: April 09, 2012, 03:56:11 PM »

Why wait?  Is this another made up "tradition" that can be found nowhere in Scripture and practiced by nearly no one?

Why yes. I just made it up. Since I clearly stated in my post this was a tradition practiced by the church you shouldn't even have to ask. I just figured my statement would be as obvious as your ending the young man's life with dating/marriage comment is also "traditional". It dare wouldn't be my own advice or opinion.
"Lay hold of the pathway... rugged and narrow as it is."- St. John Chrystostom

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #429 on: April 09, 2012, 04:46:57 PM »

"I think the best way our guy can win is for you to follow me to the Motel 6....."

PP

Wow. What kind of dates are you going on, Primuspilus...

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #430 on: April 09, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
You stated such, but I do not believe you.

Why yes. I just made it up. Since I clearly stated in my post this was a tradition practiced by the church you shouldn't even have to ask. I just figured my statement would be as obvious as your ending the young man's life with dating/marriage comment is also "traditional". It dare wouldn't be my own advice or opinion.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #431 on: April 09, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »

Thank you :)
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #432 on: April 09, 2012, 06:20:54 PM »
Science has proven that the best place to go for advice on dating/relationships is a thread about this on a gaming forum. You can't refute science.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #433 on: April 09, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »
Science has proven that the best place to go for advice on dating/relationships is a thread about this on a gaming forum. You can't refute science.

Yes, nobody can give better advice than a bunch of 30 year old virgins living in their mom's basement.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #434 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Yes, nobody can give better advice than a bunch of 30 year old virgins living in their mom's basement.

You mad because they have an easier life than you? Yeah, you're mad...  ;D

Offline Anastasia1

• OC.net guru
« Reply #435 on: April 09, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »
I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

PP

I'm not sure we really want to know what kind of dates Primuspilus goes on...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:35:57 PM by Anastasia1 »
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #436 on: April 10, 2012, 12:13:44 PM »
Not only am I mad, but I am also angry.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »
Not only am I mad, but I am also angry.

Well, maybe some day when they leave their geeky existence behind they'll do things that normal people do... like post on theology boards.  :-*

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2012, 12:25:15 PM »
I just met a guy I like, but he works for the rep I am volunteering for. I know you shouldn't date co-workers, and it would be cool if I ever got a job offer from the rep if/when he wins.  Should I just forget about it until after the election?

PP

I'm not sure we really want to know what kind of dates Primuspilus goes on...
Well, I did marry my wife 3 weeks after we met.......

PP
Gregory the Great

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
I'm so excited right now! Look at this email I just got...

You have a new message from vicky23. It reads:

vicky44u@yahoo.comHello.My Name is vicky i want to your profile today at
(orthodoxchristiandating.com) and i love it i think we can clcik from
thier!please i will like you to email me back through my email
thus;(vicky44u@yahoo.com)  am waiting to recive your lovely reply
soonest! Yours vicky    !please contact me through my email address so
i can give you my picture and tell you my datel have a nice day.

What should I do? *squeeeeee*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 03:12:01 PM by Asteriktos »

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2012, 03:20:22 PM »

Wow, I just got the same email yesterday.

Would you rather duel or share?

Offline Anastasia1

• OC.net guru
« Reply #441 on: April 12, 2012, 03:18:45 AM »

Believe it or not, that is the easy part.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:34:43 AM by Anastasia1 »

Offline Νεκτάριος

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #442 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:08 AM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  Don't do it!  You are too young to end your life.

Best advice on this thread.  Don't start dating until you are ready to get married - realistically not until 22ish.   Figure out who you are first and live life a little.  The stress, pain, temptations and drama of dating just aren't worth it.  Marriage on the other hand certainly is. 

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #443 on: April 12, 2012, 07:07:26 AM »

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #444 on: April 12, 2012, 05:41:34 PM »

Best advice on this thread.  Don't start dating until you are ready to get married - realistically not until 22ish.   Figure out who you are first and live life a little.  The stress, pain, temptations and drama of dating just aren't worth it.  Marriage on the other hand certainly is. 

Okay, I'll try to follow this advice. However, there probably will be moments when I forget about, let my feelings get to me or make mistakes. Is it strange to want to date because it makes me feel older? In a strange way, dating makes me feel like a man.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #445 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »

There's stress, pain, temptations and drama in dating? I'm not sure what dates you have been on.

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Justin Kissel

• Protospatharios
« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:59 AM »

I say we find another woman to bring into the picture, then you can have one woman for a year and I'll have the other, and then after the year has concluded we will have an exchange ceremony and switch for the next year.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »

I say we find another woman to bring into the picture, then you can have one woman for a year and I'll have the other, and then after the year has concluded we will have an exchange ceremony and switch for the next year.

Sounds like a plan.  I think I found the other woman, and she really sounds like a keeper.  He name is Naomi and she's the daughter of General Joseph K'pondowa of Nigeria.  She said that she has quite a fortune built up from her late father who died in the recent civil war but needs a bank account to store it up in.  She had heard that I'm a reliable man with finances (looks like my exes haven't been slandering me afterall!) so she'd like to deposit the money in my account.  I sent her the account information last night, so by this afternoon I should be a millionaire!  Oh how grand life can be sometimes!

Offline ZealousZeal

• Archon
  • Ecce homo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
Some people get all the breaks... *sigh*
"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
« Reply #449 on: April 19, 2012, 11:52:32 AM »
Some people get all the breaks... *sigh*
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Gregory the Great