OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:45:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 62189 times) Average Rating: 3
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #2250 on: February 16, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »

This is the best/worst thread on this forum. It has everything.

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2251 on: February 16, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »

Bak, durk durk Allah.  Durka durka Muhammad jihad.  Haka shurpa shurpa, abakala.  Durka durka durka?   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
kelly
UNSUBSCRIBED from the world
OC.net guru

laughter is the best medicine

« Reply #2252 on: February 16, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »

Bak, durk durk Allah.  Durka durka Muhammad jihad.  Haka shurpa shurpa, abakala.  Durka durka durka?   

kelly and I spend all our free time collecting pictures of Russian monarchs.  Its a thing we do.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2253 on: February 17, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »

A scene from Team America: World Police

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2254 on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:52 PM »

There's this one from Fr. Andrew Philips, UK. Seems a bit superstitious and mechanical but I like this kind of old-fashioned piety. Not that I've tried it though.

http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/pdf/st_nicholas.pdf

I think you'd need to get the blessing of your spiritual father before carrying it out. That and have faith and a clean conscience. This is actually what makes the difference between piety and superstition: there is nothing mechanical about Orthodoxy.

I have read the prayer three times to St. Nicholas (forty days each).  The first time my conscience was not clean. I believe that the Lord used this as an opportunity to punish me.  I met her on the very day I finished the prayer.  She was one of the best girls I have dated, and it ended rather abruptly.  The depths of my depression are rather well documented throughout the fifty pages of this thread.  Some time later I read it a second time and met someone who had many of the same problems I did, but let me see them from a female perspective.  I still email her (and she back - I'm not a harasser...I promise!).  Between the second and third times I fell to one my the greater depths of despondency (I was polite enough not to document it this time for all on OC.net to see).   I did have a rather long talk with my grandfather (a retired Lutheran minister) about my despondency and he set me straight, in far more words.  He suggested that I keep praying to God about it but accept His will regardless of whether it met my expectations or not.  My thoughts that I was wasting God's time were not to be entertained.  Eventually I read the prayer a third time, but not on my behalf but for the girl from prayer number 2 (a Hindu, for what it's worth).  Whether she marries the guy she met is up for debate, though on the very day I finished the prayer I met in person the girl I have been with for over a year now. 

None of this is to detract from your suggestions, I think they are very good, even if I did not necessarily follow them.  I always said the prayer with faith, but the first time my conscience was not clean.  God used this to cleanse it.  The second time I was just not ready for it yet, but God gave me something better.  She is still very dear to me.  The third time, well, it's history now.  I did not seek the approval of my spiritual father, but I did let him know once it was a fait accompli, and he approved. 
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2255 on: February 18, 2014, 06:34:35 PM »

Well so much for the girl at the super market. My spiritual father told me to stop talking to her and to all women, delete her number and find another place to shop because I am to become a monk.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2256 on: February 18, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »

Well so much for the girl at the super market. My spiritual father told me to stop talking to her and to all women, delete her number and find another place to shop because I am to become a monk.

Is your spiritual father perhaps a monk?  I did you confess too many dark secrets of the naughty variety?   Wink
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2257 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »

Is your spiritual father perhaps a monk?  I did you confess too many dark secrets of the naughty variety?   Wink

He is a monk from St Panteleimon of Mt Athos, and his spiritual father is a great schema-archimandrite.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2258 on: February 18, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »

Do you feel called to be a monk? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2259 on: February 20, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »

Yes, but I still like women and the idea of being with one. I've never dated an Orthodox girl so there is a part of me that wants to try. Must have something to do with our natural created instincts. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:56:41 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2260 on: February 20, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »

If you want to become a monk, you should do it. But don't let anyone, not even all the patriarchs and bishops in the world, force you to become a monk.

I wouldn't stop talking to half of humanity in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:25:22 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2261 on: February 20, 2014, 03:45:55 PM »

Yes, but I still like women and the idea of being with one.

That is a good sign. 

I'll pray for you, fwiw, that God will show you where he wants you.  I was concerned about the way you phrased your spiritual father's advice, and I see Cyrillic had at least some of my concern in mind. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2262 on: February 20, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »

Yes, but I still like women and the idea of being with one. I've never dated an Orthodox girl so there is a part of me that wants to try. Must have something to do with our natural created instincts. 

Have you ever read Fr. Alexander Schmemann's advice to those attempting to discern this vocation?

It could be quite helpful it would seem to me.

Maybe someone can offer them, I am not seeing a properly cited excerpt on the internet at the moment.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2263 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »

I wouldn't stop talking to half of humanity in the meantime.

I am to do what my spiritual father tells me, that is obediance.

Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2264 on: February 21, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »

Have you ever read Fr. Alexander Schmemann's advice to those attempting to discern this vocation?

Maybe someone can offer them, I am not seeing a properly cited excerpt on the internet at the moment.

Thank you for your concern, I'll be fine for I am in good hands. I've had this vocation since as long as I can remember. I am 28 now and have been on the journey to go to the monastery for the past 3 years. Each persons process is different and you can't compair two together. Women are just a temptation to me because I realise it is just the looks that I am attracted to. That girl at the store was a super devote Protestant and she said she felt sorry I was orthodox and she said if I wanted to be with her I had to stop being Orthodox. My spiritual fahter knows what he is doing Smiley

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2265 on: February 21, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »

Thank you for your concern, I'll be fine for I am in good hands. I've had this vocation since as long as I can remember. I am 28 now and have been on the journey to go to the monastery for the past 3 years. Each persons process is different and you can't compair two together. Women are just a temptation to me because I realise it is just the looks that I am attracted to. That girl at the store was a super devote Protestant and she said she felt sorry I was orthodox and she said if I wanted to be with her I had to stop being Orthodox. My spiritual fahter knows what he is doing Smiley

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, I thought perhaps you might find the suggestions edifying that is all. No offense intended toward you or your mentor.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2266 on: February 21, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »

I would be interested in seeing this if anyone knows where to find it online.  I am not currently planning on monasticism, but I have looked at it in the past so this could be interesting to read.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2267 on: February 21, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »

I would be interested in seeing this if anyone knows where to find it online.  I am not currently planning on monasticism, but I have looked at it in the past so this could be interesting to read.

I think it's in Fr Schmemann's journals (of which I don't have a copy).  It was very sensible advice, perhaps a bit overstated but in a necessary way. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2268 on: February 21, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

I would be interested in seeing this if anyone knows where to find it online.  I am not currently planning on monasticism, but I have looked at it in the past so this could be interesting to read.

I no longer have it in print and there is a copy online which looks accurate to my memory but without the proper citation.

This post references the bulk of the material taken from a website no longer hosting the info:

http://www.monachos.net/conversation/topic/2327-father-schmemann-on-monasticism/

EDIT: I am a liar, my lazy eyes overlooked the citation at the bottom of the post.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:33:42 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2269 on: February 21, 2014, 12:42:08 PM »

Horrible advice by Fr. Schmemann, a man I respect.  If anyone has spent any significant length of time at a monastery with traditional monastic rules one will quickly realize the service it does to the entire Church and to the world as a whole.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2270 on: February 21, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »

Horrible advice by Fr. Schmemann, a man I respect.  If anyone has spent any significant length of time at a monastery with traditional monastic rules one will quickly realize the service it does to the entire Church and to the world as a whole.

I am surprised at this reaction. How is the father saying otherwise? And do you know the state places like the much beloved Mt. Athos was in during the Father's time? Have you read his reflections on his joy and surprise on seeing the monks within the Oriental Christian tradition?

If you care about his thoughts on monasticism in a larger sense, again these are journals, then I would suggest listening to some people who are willing to be frank about the state of the monastic life during Father's life and what he likely saw and then read how overjoyed he was when he discovered the Oriental Coptic monks.

That aside, how are those rules bad advice for those attempting to discern a monastic calling. They seem like a decent manner for testing ones vocation. A process which has seen some rather disastrous results in this country at least in monasteries.

Heck, I figured outside your yacht, that your life probably looked like what the Father outlined.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #2271 on: February 21, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »

I am surprised at this reaction. How is the father saying otherwise? And do you know the state places like the much beloved Mt. Athos was in during the Father's time? Have you read his reflections on his joy and surprise on seeing the monks within the Oriental Christian tradition?

If you care about his thoughts on monasticism in a larger sense, again these are journals, then I would suggest listening to some people who are willing to be frank about the state of the monastic life during Father's life and what he likely saw and then read how overjoyed he was when he discovered the Oriental Coptic monks.

That aside, how are those rules bad advice for those attempting to discern a monastic calling. They seem like a decent manner for testing ones vocation. A process which has seen some rather disastrous results in this country at least in monasteries.

Heck, I figured outside your yacht, that your life probably looked like what the Father outlined.

I am also surprised. It seemed to me to be pretty solid advice for any Christian, really... though I am as far from an expert on monasticism as one could possible be.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2272 on: February 21, 2014, 02:13:57 PM »

This. 

Fr Schmemann, like anyone else, needs to be understood within his context.  At face value, one might think his opinions are overstated (as I admitted above), but in his context I'd argue much of it was necessary (as I said above) as a corrective, balancing out certain other extreme tendencies. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #2273 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »

Indeed.  Orthonorm and Mor Ephrem forgive my quickness to judge and thank you for the correction.  It was absolutely needed. Seriously.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2274 on: June 11, 2014, 11:44:52 PM »

Is it unhealthy to intentionally make an effort to never meet, socialize with, and/or date girls because I want to stay single forever and because I'm afraid of rejection?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2275 on: June 11, 2014, 11:46:38 PM »

Is it unhealthy to intentionally make an effort to never meet, socialize with, and/or date girls because I want to stay single forever
No

and because I'm afraid of rejection?
Yes

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2276 on: July 20, 2014, 02:46:02 AM »

intentionally make an effort to never meet, socialize with, and/or date girls

Are you still doing this?  That takes dedication.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2277 on: July 20, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »

intentionally make an effort to never meet, socialize with, and/or date girls

Are you still doing this?  That takes dedication.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #2278 on: August 05, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »

Attention: This is your Captain speaking. This thread seems to have ran out of fuel in mid-air. Please hold onto your seats.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Ekdikos
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #2279 on: August 05, 2014, 06:45:23 AM »

Is it unhealthy to intentionally make an effort to never meet, socialize with, and/or date girls
Its usually called taking monastic wows... Its healty...
because I want to stay single forever and because I'm afraid of rejection?
This part is not healty..

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #2280 on: August 10, 2014, 06:55:16 AM »

Anyone ever tried a long-distance thing before? I'm starting to get into a thing with a girl here in Ohio, and I'm moving back for college soon and I'm debating with myself whether I want to keep it going.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #2281 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:42 PM »

Anyone ever tried a long-distance thing before? I'm starting to get into a thing with a girl here in Ohio, and I'm moving back for college soon and I'm debating with myself whether I want to keep it going.

I won't have a girlfriend unless she is at least 500 miles away. Otherwise, I could see there being problems with my wife.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Ferd Berfel

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #2282 on: August 20, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »

It's been a few days since you posted this, but yes; I've had a long-distance relationship. The girl and I have now been married for 4 years and a couple months, so I'd say it turned out well.

It definitely wasn't easy though.
Indocern

Jurisdiction: by God

« Reply #2283 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19:08 AM »

Man is a man, must not to be controled by woman, you must control the woman.

You don't have to become a monk, this is not the only girl in the world.

She don't love you if she love you will accept your religion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:21:15 AM by Indocern » Logged
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #2284 on: August 20, 2014, 09:14:16 AM »

That goes along with my philosophy:  If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, they are yours.  If they don't, hunt them down and kill them.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2285 on: August 20, 2014, 11:36:04 AM »

Sage advice.  I assume your single?  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:36:16 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Indocern

« Reply #2286 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:23 AM »

Sage advice.  I assume your single?  Tongue

My loving one is dead but i was controling her.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2287 on: August 20, 2014, 11:44:14 AM »

Past tense? If you truly controlled woman in life you would still be able to control her in death. When you have control no longer that's how you know your loving one was a sham. Flee such as this.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:45:20 AM by Justin Kissel » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #2288 on: August 20, 2014, 11:45:24 AM »

I find these often make the best mates.  Justin, lust not. I know she is a redhead, but you must control your passions!

sidenote: do not do an image search of the word "marionette". There is some truly weird Japanese porn out there!

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:51:13 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Indocern

« Reply #2289 on: August 20, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »

Thanks for the comments.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #2290 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »

I find these often make the best mates.  Justin, lust not. I know she is a redhead, but you must control your passions!

sidenote: do not do an image search of the word "marionette". There is some truly weird Japanese porn out there!

Image search for "marionette"...mission accomplished. 
Punch
Taxiarches

« Reply #2291 on: August 20, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »

Past tense? If you truly controlled woman in life you would still be able to control her in death. When you have control no longer that's how you know your loving one was a sham. Flee such as this.

I just had a LOLocaust.

Chiere
"You are right, Mor is wrong"
Moderated

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Indianapolis

« Reply #2292 on: September 05, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »

Don't date [inappropriate word removed -Nephi], they'll probably end up robbing you.
 For repeated profanity and rules violations, despite multiple warnings, you are being placed on post-moderation for the next 7 (seven) days. Every post you submit during this period will need to be approved by a moderator before it shows up on the forum.

If you would like to appeal this decision, please do so only via PM.

-Nephi
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:54:27 AM by Nephi » Logged

Countdown to my oblation as an Oblate of St. Benedict:

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #2293 on: September 05, 2014, 01:55:13 AM »

Don't date ****** (inappropriate word for black people), they'll probably end up robbing you.

Racism is a sickness, and this kind of talk is truly anti-Christian and vile. Please try to work to do a better job at controlling your own posting behavior. Such disgusting attitudes and 'advice' as displayed here are unacceptable. Please pray and seek spiritual counsel, lest you further wound the confession you claim in the eyes of others (who are, in case you have forgotten, created equal to you and equally beloved children of God), and your own soul by harboring such hatred and bigotry.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:55:52 AM by dzheremi » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2294 on: September 05, 2014, 01:56:17 AM »

Don't date [inappropriate word removed -Nephi], they'll probably end up robbing you.

Using the "N" word? Inappropriate to say the least. I found this comment absolutely disgusting.

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: