OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 05:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 62891 times) Average Rating: 3
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2070 on: November 27, 2013, 12:27:32 PM »

Dear orthonorm,

Most people treat other people like crap. Where can I find a woman who doesn't do that? It's not enough that she doesn't treat me like crap, but she also has to not treat everyone else like crap. Does such a person exist? Or am I just delusional and are all of us just pretty much [not good]?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2071 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »

From our fearless leader, the silence.

I'm going to end up with someone as screwed up as me, aren't I?  Cry Cool

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2072 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »

I do not consider you screwed up. However, I cannot lie. This may occur. I will be praying for you that this will not be so. I wish I could verbalize why I think you are special, and deserve special treatment but I am not a lawyer, I am just a bag of emotions. Sorry Asteriktos. Chin Up and all that.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2073 on: November 27, 2013, 10:12:55 PM »

Aww, that's nice Smiley  I was mostly just trying to get orthonorm to post, but I am depressed sometimes about how we treat each other. I dunno. Then again I am sometimes the opposite to a fault, so anyway...   police

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2074 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:13 PM »

Aww, that's nice Smiley  I was mostly just trying to get orthonorm to post, but I am depressed sometimes about how we treat each other. I dunno. Then again I am sometimes the opposite to a fault, so anyway...   police

Well, Dash It!, Asteriktos. I suspect Orthonorm is not speaking to me as well. Most uncivilized!

Now where is my ascot?
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #2075 on: November 27, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »

Well, Dash It!, Asteriktos. I suspect Orthonorm is not speaking to me as well. Most uncivilized!

Now where is my ascot?
Probably with my top hat and smoking jacket. It's not with my dressing gown, because I have that. It might be with my waistcoat and Remembrance Day poppy boutonnière.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #2076 on: November 27, 2013, 10:50:31 PM »

Hey, if you ended up with someone as screwed up as you, you'd be on the Board of Governors of the London Business School, I assure you.  Cheesy

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2077 on: November 27, 2013, 10:52:40 PM »

On a more serious note. I do not know why people treat others with disdain. I find it disturbing and it is common, but I also find the opposite is not uncommon (at least until you get to know them more intimately, i.e, a proviso since most of my observations do not fall into the intimate category, so to speak). Even still, they do not want to be like that, they just cannot help themselves.

If you read PG Wodehouse Asteriktos, you would know how dangerous red heads are. I have the same weakness but I am getting educated. I will google to see if they have some sort of electronic cigarette type thing for this malady.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2078 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »

Now where is my ascot?
Probably with my top hat and smoking jacket. It's not with my dressing gown, because I have that. It might be with my waistcoat and Remembrance Day poppy boutonnière.

This reminds me my dear Brataseptim, I suspect this is a bit inappropriate but, how old is you aunt Candy Mitpesatsarb? Is she single? Her name looks Assyrian or Hittite or something similar. I also read Candy as a kid, and she is nothing like her, so I suspect she has grown out of it or whatever it is that it is.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #2079 on: November 27, 2013, 11:34:06 PM »

Now where is my ascot?

This reminds me my dear Brastaseptim, I suspect this is a bit inappropriate but, how old is you aunt Candy Mitpesatsarb? Is she single? Her name looks Assyrian or Hittite or something similar. I also read Candy as a kid, and she is nothing like her, so I suspect she has grown out of it or whatever it is that it is.

My Aunt Cadence is in her late 30's (my adopted Aunt, mind, on my Father's side)- and as far as I'm aware, she is single. I believe she is of Chaldean decent, if I'm not mistaken.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2080 on: November 28, 2013, 12:22:08 AM »

Now where is my ascot?

This reminds me my dear Brastaseptim, I suspect this is a bit inappropriate but, how old is you aunt Candy Mitpesatsarb? Is she single? Her name looks Assyrian or Hittite or something similar. I also read Candy as a kid, and she is nothing like her, so I suspect she has grown out of it or whatever it is that it is.

My Aunt Cadence is in her late 30's (my adopted Aunt, mind, on my Father's side)- and as far as I'm aware, she is single. I believe she is of Chaldean decent, if I'm not mistaken.

Does your aunt read this thread? Mind you, given all of the time she spends answering mindless posts at Dear Cadence, this possibility seems unlikely. Then again, I am a slow writer.

Lips sealed. Awaiting your reply (but unavailable tomorrow). Hoping to resolve all of Asteriktos's problems soon.

All the best or whatever.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2081 on: November 30, 2013, 06:35:45 PM »

I am a grumpy looking person. There is no denying this. So when a girl is watching me... does she like grumpy guys? Or maybe she mistakes grumpy for "bad boy"? But I'm not a bad boy. Bad person, yes, but not bad boy. I don't really think I look like one anyway, but still. And I don't want to be misleading. But who likes grumpy guys anyway? Do I even want to hook up with a girl who is attracted to grumpy guys? Maybe I do, since that means she's ok with me being grumpy. I can be George in the sweat pants. I'll have it all. And I guess I could use the dour appearance to my advantage, and catch some of these girls off guard by inviting them to a poetry reading or something.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:36:33 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2082 on: December 01, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »

As a follow-up, how does one not appear so grumpy? I mean without forcing a fake smile.  Is it all in the eyebrows? I have nice eyes if that helps. Or so someone said. But my glasses are as thick as the Rudder, so maybe that only helps if I have contacts. That's on my checklist.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2083 on: December 01, 2013, 08:08:33 PM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2084 on: December 01, 2013, 09:04:13 PM »

I do not believe this is relevant to my interests.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2085 on: December 01, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »

As a follow-up, how does one not appear so grumpy? I mean without forcing a fake smile.  Is it all in the eyebrows? I have nice eyes if that helps. Or so someone said. But my glasses are as thick as the Rudder, so maybe that only helps if I have contacts. That's on my checklist.

There is no hope for you. Look for the many women out there who need male approval and thus need to cheer you up. After all if they can't, who can? Their approval from men is only matched by their own approval from themselves which of course is only made more certain by your apparent lack of approval for them.

Never play to your strengths. Always play to your weaknesses.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2086 on: December 02, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »

How does one deal with their first heartbreak? I'm talking the very first, holds-a-place-in-your-heart-forever/the-one-that-got-away slow burning wound that generally everyone goes through at least once in their lifetime? You know what I'm saying? When that person holds a place in your heart forever and you always wonder what you could have done differently, and start to doubt yourself.

Which brings me to another question,

How are the socially anxious and shy fellows like me to overcome our shyness? I know that some clever men can play this shyness to their advantage and give off the presentation of the "strong-silent type," but most of us--myself included--are just socially anxious and shy because we have low-confidence. For me personally, I assume it has something to do with my unstable childhood and domineering mother, so I'm hoping that as my therapy goes on, I'll gradually get over this shyness, but what do you think? Anything you'd throw in?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2087 on: December 02, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »

An X.
Thirty-two people wished her happy birthday on facebook.
I wished her happy birthday on facebook.
She thanked five people for wishing her happy birthday by "liking" their message.
I was not "liked."
I was not chosen.
I thought we were friends.
I was wrong.
So sad.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2088 on: December 02, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

An X.
Thirty-two people wished her happy birthday on facebook.
I wished her happy birthday on facebook.
She thanked five people for wishing her happy birthday by "liking" their message.
I was not "liked."
I was not chosen.
I thought we were friends.
I was wrong.
So sad.

Why did you think you were friends?

I also want to point out that this is precisely the reason putting to much stock into Facebook is pointless.  The other person doesn't care how you feel that they didn't "like" your comment.  To be really Faebook spiteful, start unliking all the things you liked previously.  Then see if she cares.  Or not.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2089 on: December 02, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »

Why did you think you were friends?

Because I actually see her and talk to her in "real life" like a friend...

Though I meant the above mostly as a joke.

Mostly.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2090 on: December 02, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »

Hmmm, intriguing. Mostly, you say?  You  must get together with the other Unchosens and unite.  Perhaps a Facebook group.  Invite only, of course.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2091 on: December 02, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

How does one deal with their first heartbreak? I'm talking the very first, holds-a-place-in-your-heart-forever/the-one-that-got-away slow burning wound that generally everyone goes through at least once in their lifetime? You know what I'm saying? When that person holds a place in your heart forever and you always wonder what you could have done differently, and start to doubt yourself.

How are the socially anxious and shy fellows like me to overcome our shyness? I know that some clever men can play this shyness to their advantage and give off the presentation of the "strong-silent type," but most of us--myself included--are just socially anxious and shy because we have low-confidence. For me personally, I assume it has something to do with my unstable childhood and domineering mother, so I'm hoping that as my therapy goes on, I'll gradually get over this shyness, but what do you think? Anything you'd throw in?

The first heart break isn't always the worst.  Sorry.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #2092 on: December 02, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »

i think it's different for everyone.
james r, keep up the positive thoughts and going to church, interest yourself in others and their problems, and it will become easier to bear with time.

the less grudges you bear, the quicker the recovery.
may God bless u and all who suffer in this area.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2093 on: December 02, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »

The first heart break isn't always the worst.  Sorry.

+1

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2094 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »

Time.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2095 on: December 03, 2013, 08:10:33 AM »

Time.

This.  After a while, you stop with the what-ifs and continue with your life.  The pain eventually turns to nostalgia.  The doubt changes to acceptance.

As far as confidence, this may sound strange, but failure works.  You have to face everything head-on; no half butt measures.  This goes with talking to strangers, being in large crowds, fear of heights, (things I had to face and overcome), etc.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2096 on: December 03, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »

How does one deal with their first heartbreak?

I told you man, stoicism is the way to go. Disregard females, acquire books.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 08:21:51 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2097 on: December 03, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »

I had an arrangement to meet a girl and I was running a little late.  I expected she'd be off with the nearest truck driver she could find.  But when I got there, much to my surprise, sitting in a corner, a little worse for wear and tear, was this girl with far away eyes.

So if you're down on your like, I know you can all sympathize.  Find a girl with far away eyes.
And if you're downright disgusting, and your life ain't worth a dime.  Get a girl with far away eyes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:18:58 AM by vamrat » Logged

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2098 on: December 03, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »

Books I do acquire.  Females are to be disregarded only at your peril. Grin

Perhaps you have a monastic vocation. Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2099 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »

Then the abbot will tell you to not read so much and work.  So no books or girls.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #2100 on: December 03, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »

Then the abbot will tell you to not read so much and work.  So no books or girls.

Oh well.....<<shrugs shoulders>>

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2101 on: December 04, 2013, 04:58:51 AM »

When I think about putting this into action, the term that first springs to mind is "an embarrassment of riches"...  Grin Cool

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #2102 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »

When I think about putting this into action, the term that first springs to mind is "an embarrassment of riches"...  Grin Cool

Or possibly a "richness of embarrassments."  Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2103 on: December 05, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »

That would be a more accurate, if less familiar, way of putting it  Cool

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2104 on: December 09, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »

One day a woman came to Abba Hezekiah, weeping, and pleading with him: 'Please! Help me! They want to take my daughter away from me!'  Listening to this the all holy and thrice holy saint, softened in compassion, and calm yet vibrant, asked the woman to explain in more detail what the problem was. 'The barbarians came from the South, and now they say that I must give them my daughter for one of their own to marry! I do not want to lose my daughter!' 'And who are these barbarians,' the saint inquired of the men who had accompanied the woman. 'They call themselves Duberrians, and they come from the South of the continent. They will take the girl away and she will surely never be seen again!'

'Yes, I have heard of these people before,' Abba began. 'They are a wicked people, with many ungodly customs and rites, who worship many gods, such as the air, and trees, and fruit. But I believe I know how we can save the young girl from earthly damnation. Go and tell these Duberrians that I wish to speak with them, that it is imperative that they listen to what I have to say.' Upon hearing this several of the men ran off to deliver the message. Abba stayed with the woman all through the night, surrounded by many others, who tried to comfort the woman in her distress, and there was great commotion all through the area. Finally the next morning the messengers returned, with a large contingent of Duberrians.

'We have heard that you wish to speak with us,' the leader of the Duberrians began. He was by name Ezekiyosh, and he stood towering over everyone else present. 'I will tell you plainly: we trade here from time to time, and so have no wish to hurt these people. Nonetheless, we must have the girl, for one of our holy men has fallen in love with her from afar. This is not negotiable.'  Abba Hezekiah listened patiently as the leader spoke, and then, looking down at the ground scribbled in the sand. 'What is it that you see here?' the saint asked. Ezekiyosh almost immediately responded: 'You draw the sacred serpent!'  'This is so,' Hezekiah said. 'I know that you worship this serpent, who you call Ishtokah, as a god, and further that you regard all snakes as a possible manifestation of this god. Is this not so?'  

'It is!' cried a confused Ezekiyosh, 'but we are told that we must never speak of this to northern unbelievers like yourselves, for as our sacred texts say: we must not allow the sacred wine to be polluted by the unworthy. But how do you know of Ishtokah?'  Abba Hezekiah then stood up and walked over to Ezekiyosh, his demeanor confident yet non-threatening. 'What is important right now,' the Abba began, 'is that you not take the girl, and that I can give you a sign proving the wisdom of this.'  'What do you have in mind?' the man next to Ezekiyosh asked hesitantly, obviously being the holy man whose perverse lust had started it all. St. Hezekiah then looked evil in the face, which is to say the holy man, and said: 'I will tell you this, as a sign that I am right in saying that you should not take the girl, I will create a snake out of dust!'

The Duberrians seemed quite surprised, but Ezekiyosh quickly recovered his composure. 'This would be a great feat! If you are able to do as you say, we will no longer try to take the girl.'  Upon hearing this Abba Hezekiah started walking away, and motioned for them all to follow. They had only gone maybe 50 leg-lengths when Hezekiah stopped and began staring at the ground. Everyone gathered around the spot that the Abba was looking at, forming a circle, and waited to see what would happen next. For several minutes they stood there, just watching. Whenever Hezekiah felt people getting restless he motioned for them to be patient and have faith. Finally the sand began to move.

The Duberrians gasped in unison. 'What is this?' they shouted, 'How is this possible? Can it really be?' Suddenly Abba Hezekiah yelled very loudly: 'I tell you no lie! Now you will behold the power of God, manifest in nature!' And within twenty seconds of saying this a snake emerged from the sand. This sent the Duberrians into a frenzy, and they all began tearing at their hair and ripping their clothes, with Ezekiyosh and the evil holy man most distraught of all. 'We did not know!' they screamed, 'What power the gods have here, to make divine snakes from the dust of the earth merely at your command!'

Abba Hezekiah calmed them as best he could, and after about ten minutes they were again able to speak and understand what he was saying. 'Now,' the saint began, 'you will take the snake instead of the girl, for the girl is not, and never was, your property, but the snake is one of your own.' At this the Duberrians seemed to cheer up, thinking, in their darkness of mind, that they had somehow gained a great thing. They then carefully captured the snake and began their way back to their home in the south. As they left all the Christian people of the area cheered at the way things had turned out, and the Mother and those with her returned to her home and her daughter overjoyed.

[Now this is the end of the story as recorded by the first biographer of St. Hezekiah, the holy Democritus. However, sometime later another story connected with this incident became known, and it quickly spread and gained general approval by even the most skeptical theologians. It is said that even the enemies of St. Hezekiah accepted that these stories were almost certainly authentic. This additional story explaining the above now follows.]

Later that night Abba Bastav came to Abba Hezekiah and said to him: 'My friend, we have worked out our salvation together these many years, and we have become of one mind on so many things! Please, as an indulgence to a dying old man in his last moments on earth, give me some joy by telling me how this miracle of the snake was done?'  Abba Hezekiah had suspected that the Abba might ask him, as Bastav was a very curious person by nature; however, the saint knew that he could be trusted to keep things quiet in the integrity of his heart, with the door barred and the window shutters closed, so he revealed how the events regarding the snake had taken place.

'It was no miracle,' Hezekiah said, 'but rather just as I said it would be: "the power of God, manifest in nature." The power of God that I spoke of is the power of intelligence and creativity: the power of godliness found in being made in the image of God. This power was then manifest in nature, for I used the natural order of God's creation to bring about what you saw.'  Abba Bastav was quite confused, and impatiently mimicked for the saint to continue. 'You see, I had one of the monks find a snake for me yesterday, and he went out and also dug a hole at a specific spot that I told him about. Then when I saw the Duberrians approaching from afar I gave him a signal. The monk then went and hid the snake inside the hole, and put a covering over top, and sand over that.'

'According to my instructions he made the covering weak enough that the snake could poke up through it, but not such that it would collapse and suffocate the snake. Then, once the snake was down there and trapped in that space, and began running out of air, I knew it would seek for a way out of the predicament, and that is why it eventually came out of the hole, though it appeared to everyone that it was emerging from the sand. Thus did the image of God work itself out for the welfare of all, and especially the girl and her mother.'

Abba Bastav sat, somewhat unsure of what to think, with a look of uncertainty playing across his face: 'But... was this not a lie? Can good come from evil means?' He trailed off, but then quickly added: 'I do not wish to accuse your holiness of a sin, I just wish to understand how this can be?' Abba Hezekiah had anticipated this response, and tried his best to explain why he had done what he did. 'I did not believe that the girl could be saved in any other way. Generally lying is a wicked, terrible thing. However, we must understand that sometimes deception can be used to avoid a greater evil. God will judge whether I have sinned or not in this regard, but whether I am guilty or innocent, the important thing is that the girl did not fall into the hands of those wicked unbelievers. We find in Scripture people using deception, such as the prophet, and Rahab the harlot, and I hear tales of a book that describes even an angel named Raphael hiding the truth to bring about a greater good. I do not count myself as righteous as this Rahab, or certainly this Raphael, but I hope I have done the right thing.'  And thus Abba Bastav was satisfied, and prayed for the saint to his dying day that he might be forgiven all his sins, and he told no one of the story until after Abba Hezekiah had gone on to the next life.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:51:14 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2105 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:20 AM »

tl;dr

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #2106 on: December 09, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »

tl;dr
+1

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2107 on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »

Abba Hezekiah the Thrice-Blessed, pray for us.  Blessed is the man who will write your sayings and doings in a goodly sized tome, for he will bring joy to the weary and revenue to himself. 

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2108 on: December 09, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »

Now one day Abba Hezekiah was walking to liturgy, and as if out of nowhere a young father ran up to him and blocked his way. 'Please, Abba, I must ask for your advice!'  The Abba looked on the brother in kindness, understanding his exuberant exuberance to be out of a sincere heart and lack of experience in life. 'What is it?' the saint asked with a smile. The young father was overjoyed to hear that he would receive a word, and said: 'I have found a book in some old ruins that contains the words of the blessed Anthony, and brought it back to the skete for all of us to read. Well at first everything went fine, but then some of the monks began chastising us for reading, saying that we were neglecting prayer. We said to them that it only took a few minutes, and the words were so wisdom-filled and transformative. But they would not listen, and now they begin to make fun of us and say we are not monks but rather imperial tutors. They taunt us constantly with words such as "Go up, go up to Constantinople! Go be imperial lackeys with the other learned men!"  We are near despair, Abba, what should we do!?'

Abba Hezekiah always tried to remain calm, but he could see that the best course of action in this case was to speak plainly. 'Truly only a fool would ignore the divine honey of the words of the saintly Anthony. To pray is a very good thing, but this does not mean that all we should do is pray. To read for a few minutes the words of such a wise man is to gain for a lifetime. Yet we live in a rebellious generation, rebelling constantly, as many do, against the will of God, when God simply wishes to save them. But they have been corrupted by all their games and theater and sports, that they cannot focus for more than a few moments, they let their mind wander in prayer, they cannot be bothered to read something more than a few pages long, and they complain that the church services are too long--in a word, they are weak of mind and body! I do not know how such as these can be helped. All I can recommend is that you tell them all that I have said to you, and pray for their blackened souls. Then leave it up to God, and be at peace, and do not despair.'

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #2109 on: December 09, 2013, 10:19:17 PM »

--Edified--

Still posting.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #2110 on: December 10, 2013, 03:21:02 PM »

Now one day Abba Hezekiah was walking to liturgy, and as if out of nowhere a young father ran up to him and blocked his way. 'Please, Abba, I must ask for your advice!'  The Abba looked on the brother in kindness, understanding his exuberant exuberance to be out of a sincere heart and lack of experience in life. 'What is it?' the saint asked with a smile. The young father was overjoyed to hear that he would receive a word, and said: 'I have found a book in some old ruins that contains the words of the blessed Anthony, and brought it back to the skete for all of us to read. Well at first everything went fine, but then some of the monks began chastising us for reading, saying that we were neglecting prayer. We said to them that it only took a few minutes, and the words were so wisdom-filled and transformative. But they would not listen, and now they begin to make fun of us and say we are not monks but rather imperial tutors. They taunt us constantly with words such as "Go up, go up to Constantinople! Go be imperial lackeys with the other learned men!"  We are near despair, Abba, what should we do!?'

Abba Hezekiah always tried to remain calm, but he could see that the best course of action in this case was to speak plainly. 'Truly only a fool would ignore the divine honey of the words of the saintly Anthony. To pray is a very good thing, but this does not mean that all we should do is pray. To read for a few minutes the words of such a wise man is to gain for a lifetime. Yet we live in a rebellious generation, rebelling constantly, as many do, against the will of God, when God simply wishes to save them. But they have been corrupted by all their games and theater and sports, that they cannot focus for more than a few moments, they let their mind wander in prayer, they cannot be bothered to read something more than a few pages long, and they complain that the church services are too long--in a word, they are weak of mind and body! I do not know how such as these can be helped. All I can recommend is that you tell them all that I have said to you, and pray for their blackened souls. Then leave it up to God, and be at peace, and do not despair.'

Still tl;dr, but I'm sure it's quite profound given the reference to Abba Hezekiah. Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2111 on: December 10, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »

"And Abba Hezekiah also said, 'When your attention is circumscribed by worldly desire, a fall is close at hand.'"

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #2112 on: December 10, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »

"And Abba Hezekiah also said, 'When your attention is circumscribed by worldly desire, a fall is close at hand.'"

Huh

Cool

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2113 on: December 10, 2013, 09:18:21 PM »

I think I'm gonna make Abba Hezekiah my patron saint.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2114 on: December 11, 2013, 04:16:41 AM »

I had typed in another story from the life of St. Hezekiah, but unfortunately my computer decided to reboot on me when it was just about done. Divine intervention, perhaps.

Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: