OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 06:27:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 60778 times) Average Rating: 3
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1800 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »

Opus,

Do you not believe in attracting a mate? I don't understand what you mean by ignoring women all together.

Where did I say I didn't act like a gentleman? Its not nonsense, and how on earth can I prove it?

A gentleman does not consider women booty.

I'm pretty sure Shiny knows this, and did not mean that a gentleman should, since she is, well, a she.

Maybe she is not as she as me and I am a he.

Would you be surprised by this notion and why would you be?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1801 on: November 11, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »

I was using it as a colloquialism for sex, except you wouldn't have to be hitched in a relationship.

Make sense?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #1802 on: November 11, 2013, 12:41:02 AM »

Opus,

Do you not believe in attracting a mate? I don't understand what you mean by ignoring women all together.

Where did I say I didn't act like a gentleman? Its not nonsense, and how on earth can I prove it?

I'm pretty sure Shiny knows this, and did not mean that a gentleman should, since she is, well, a she.

Because you just turned into Doctor Seuss.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1803 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:04 AM »

ROFL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1804 on: November 11, 2013, 01:07:39 AM »

I was using it as a colloquialism for sex, except you wouldn't have to be hitched in a relationship.

Make sense?

Yes and no.

What doesn't make sense is playing the game that everyone else plays these days.

For Better of or for Worse, I have never portrayed myself as someone that I was not.

My posting in this thread makes no sense in that with one exception, I never instigated a relationship. Perhaps women cannot stand a virgin amongst their midst. I do not know.

I wrote about the exception here previously and I can go on and on about her so I won't.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1805 on: November 11, 2013, 01:10:02 AM »

Opus,

We have to be friends forever, Brataseptim!
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1806 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:07 AM »

Opus,

We have to be friends forever, Brataseptim!

Yes, we must, Opus!  Grin

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #1807 on: November 11, 2013, 04:50:06 AM »

My advise is to ignore women all together. If you are a worthwhile target, they will go after you.

That's a very big if.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1808 on: November 11, 2013, 05:45:41 AM »

Make sense?

Yes and no.

What doesn't make sense is playing the game that everyone else plays these days.

For Better of or for Worse, I have never portrayed myself as someone that I was not.

My posting in this thread makes no sense in that with one exception, I never instigated a relationship. Perhaps women cannot stand a virgin amongst their midst. I do not know.

I wrote about the exception here previously and I can go on and on about her so I won't.

Opus how many women have you had a relationship with?

You confused me twice so far on your posts. The one prior you agreed then disagreed in the same sentence.

So wait are you saying you are still a "virgin" then?

Your thoughts on this are interesting to me and I want to know more. So you entertain nothing on your own to date.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:46:31 AM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1809 on: November 11, 2013, 12:00:01 PM »

Opus how many women have you had a relationship with?

Not that many but at least six, not including the exception noted above. Most were somewhat older than me. I did not initiate these relationships.

You confused me twice so far on your posts. The one prior you agreed then disagreed in the same sentence.

My fault, there were two sentences, I agreed with the first and disagreed with the second.

So wait are you saying you are still a "virgin" then?

No. I am going back in time. I was perceived as a virgin whether I was or wasn't.  It was and is a complicated situation.  I am moralistic, perhaps prudish. But at the same time I relish romance and courtship.

Your thoughts on this are interesting to me and I want to know more. So you entertain nothing on your own to date.

I did not understand the last sentence but I hope it is satisfied.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1810 on: November 11, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »

See I never understand why someone goes on the internet and asks for relationship advice. You must suck as a boyfriend if you have to ask.

I'm not very old, but as I get older, I find that the only generalisation one can make in terms of people and relationships is that you can't generalise.  What seems obvious to you isn't to others.  Everyone has a "wild card" that makes their situation "not the norm", at least to some extent.  "By the book" solutions will not always and everywhere work.  And so on.  The more questions you ask, the more you come to realise this, and then it's not worth it to judge other people.  Just help them if they need it, ask for it, and if you can, otherwise get out of the way. 

I don't understand why people ask such questions on the internet, not because "you must suck if you have to ask", but rather because of whose advice is being solicited.  I'd rather ask someone I know, who knows me.  Heck, I'd rather ask a random customer in a cafe.  When you ask such things online, how can you trust what you're hearing?  You'll go with what already resonates with you.  At that point, why not just talk to yourself?  Smiley

^The voice of sanity.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1811 on: November 12, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »

My ex-girlfriend's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, so I decided to invite her to lunch. Neither of us have a car (ie. both of us were using the bus), and we decided to stay here in my small town, so our options were more limited. To make the schedules work out and still have enough time to enjoy the meal it was basically fast food or a restaurant like Denny's or whatever. I chose the much classier Eat'n Park.

I had no idea what to expect, but at least I felt comfortable... it was more like meeting a friend than an ex-girlfriend. Which, I guess, is what it was. So yeah. Anyway, so we hug and she gives me a kiss on the cheek and we go in, get seated, etc. She ordered breakfast, and I ordered a buffalo chicken wrap and a pepsi. We talked about this and that. I'm not much of a chit chatter. I'd love to talk about 4th century Christianity for hours, but I can't really carry much of a conversation when the subjects go into more "normal" territory. She knows that though, so there wasn't an issue there.

Afterwards we walked down to the store about a quarter of a mile away to do a bit of shopping before the bus came. At one point she asked where the women's section was, and we found it, and she started going down the underwear aisle. I was thinking maybe she'd just go straight through, but nope, she needed underwear. I jokingly said something like: "Underwear shopping with your ex-girlfriend. Nope, nothing awkward about this at all." I ended up buying her some as a Christmas present. I guess it was sort of strange to buy them since I will never see her in them, but oh well. Cheesy

So we finished up our shopping, she got some coffee, had a smoke, we waited for the bus, etc. A couple hugs and such and it was goodbye. A very nice afternoon.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #1812 on: November 12, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

This thread is so... interesting. Oh to live inside the male mind for a day.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1813 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:35 PM »

See I never understand why someone goes on the internet and asks for relationship advice. You must suck as a boyfriend if you have to ask.

I'm not very old, but as I get older, I find that the only generalisation one can make in terms of people and relationships is that you can't generalise.  What seems obvious to you isn't to others.  Everyone has a "wild card" that makes their situation "not the norm", at least to some extent.  "By the book" solutions will not always and everywhere work.  And so on.  The more questions you ask, the more you come to realise this, and then it's not worth it to judge other people.  Just help them if they need it, ask for it, and if you can, otherwise get out of the way. 

I don't understand why people ask such questions on the internet, not because "you must suck if you have to ask", but rather because of whose advice is being solicited.  I'd rather ask someone I know, who knows me.  Heck, I'd rather ask a random customer in a cafe.  When you ask such things online, how can you trust what you're hearing?  You'll go with what already resonates with you.  At that point, why not just talk to yourself?  Smiley

^The voice of sanity.

Wait till he gets older and you realize you can pretty much fit nearly every human into one pile, including their "relationships". You then learn to prize the rare few who truly do break up the monotony of human stupidity.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1814 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »

It's not as fun as you think. I'll leave it at that.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1815 on: November 12, 2013, 09:49:52 PM »

I think it would be enlightening.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1816 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:30 PM »

What the heck are you talking about? It's absolutely as fun as you think. I can't speak for anybody else's mind, but for me it's food and pugs and Mel Brooks movies all the time up there. And that very same mind tells me that that's just about the funnest combination of things I can think of. Who am I to argue with me?

I guess that's why I never ask questions about relationships on the internet. I already know what I want: a cookie, a dog, and an 87 year old Jewish comedian. Heck, I've already got 2 out of 3. Cool

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1817 on: November 12, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

I think it would be enlightening.

I know how you feel.  Once in a while, I also start wondering.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1818 on: November 12, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »

I know how you feel.  Once in a while, I also start wondering.

LOL. I totally support your right to have babies.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1819 on: November 12, 2013, 10:55:43 PM »

How would that work if you are already living in my mind? /the jeremy pickup line TM

– St. Ambrose of Milan
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1820 on: November 12, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »

For it to be my pick up line, wouldn't I have to understand what the heck you just wrote, Shiny? Huh

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1821 on: November 12, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »

If that was a pickup line, then the person who wrote must be a fruit picker trying to get a lemon from a redwood.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1822 on: November 12, 2013, 11:34:36 PM »

When Jake got home he started unpacking the stuff that he had bought at the store. He pulled a mug out that said "WORLD'S MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN!" and handed it to his girlfriend Tasha.

"What's this?" she asked coyly.

"Oh, they had your mug at the store. Can you believe that it was sitting there in the open where just anyone could have bought it?"

"Oh?" she asked, a smile from ear to ear.

"Yeah! And look at this!"  Jake then pulled out a second mug. "Can you believe they had two of them?"

A confused look passed over her face. "Wait. Why did you buy a second one?"

She asked it in such an innocent yet playful tone that Jake nearly laughed. "What do you mean?" Jake asked.

"Well... why would you buy a second one?" Tasha asked, nearly repeating her question verbatim.

"Isn't it obvious? You are the most beautiful woman in the world. We can't have some other woman walking around thinking that she deserves such things said about her."

"Oh. Really??" Tasha said, still confused.

"Yes, absolutely. It's unheard of!"

Jake then slowly leans in and gives Tasha a gentle kiss on the forehead. "Look hun, there are some pretty girls in the world, but there is only a single 'most beautiful woman,' and there is no question that it's you!"

"Awwwww! I love you Jake!"

[Tune in tomorrow to Cornball Theater to find out what happens next!]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:38:24 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1823 on: November 12, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »

What the heck is going on in this thread now? Huh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1824 on: November 12, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »

Hijinks?
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1825 on: November 12, 2013, 11:42:40 PM »

Either a bunch of RPers writing the intro to a Romance novel, or the beginning script for a cheap new romcom.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1826 on: November 12, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »

Yay! A new series to follow.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1827 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »

Aww, it's a black and white kitty cat!!  

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1828 on: November 12, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »

Says the guy who recently posted Sexy Hitler.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1829 on: November 13, 2013, 12:04:04 AM »

Says the guy who recently posted Sexy Hitler.

Hey...quit taking Sexy Hitler out of context. That was a totally different thread and everything.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1830 on: November 13, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »

Hey...quit taking Sexy Hitler out of context. That was a totally different thread and everything.

Is there a context for Sexy Hitler?  laugh

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1831 on: November 13, 2013, 12:29:56 AM »

When Jake got home he started unpacking the stuff that he had bought at the store. He pulled a mug out that said "WORLD'S MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN!" and handed it to his girlfriend Tasha.

"What's this?" she asked coyly.

"Oh, they had your mug at the store. Can you believe that it was sitting there in the open where just anyone could have bought it?"

"Oh?" she asked, a smile from ear to ear.

"Yeah! And look at this!"  Jake then pulled out a second mug. "Can you believe they had two of them?"

A confused look passed over her face. "Wait. Why did you buy a second one?"

She asked it in such an innocent yet playful tone that Jake nearly laughed. "What do you mean?" Jake asked.

"Well... why would you buy a second one?" Tasha asked, nearly repeating her question verbatim.

"Isn't it obvious? You are the most beautiful woman in the world. We can't have some other woman walking around thinking that she deserves such things said about her."

"Oh. Really??" Tasha said, still confused.

"Yes, absolutely. It's unheard of!"

Jake then slowly leans in and gives Tasha a gentle kiss on the forehead. "Look hun, there are some pretty girls in the world, but there is only a single 'most beautiful woman,' and there is no question that it's you!"

"Awwwww! I love you Jake!"

Well I really liked it Asteriktos, but I still do not grasp the justification for buying the second cup. I guess I have to say that it is the thought that counts and leave it at that. As long as it remains in the G or PG realm, I look forward to the next installment.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1832 on: November 13, 2013, 12:35:02 AM »

Well I really liked it Asteriktos, but I still do not grasp the justification for buying the second cup.

He didn't want the second cup to be available for another woman to purchase. Buying two (all the store had in stock) demonstrated to Tasha that he thought she was the most beautiful because in his mind, someone else buying the other would be a lie.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1833 on: November 13, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »

Well I really liked it Asteriktos, but I still do not grasp the justification for buying the second cup.

He didn't want the second cup to be available for another woman to purchase. Buying two (all the store had in stock) demonstrated to Tasha that he thought she was the most beautiful because in his mind, someone else buying the other would be a lie.

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that Asteriktos is pidgeon holing males into some sort of irrational, male, competitive, stereotype?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1834 on: November 13, 2013, 12:40:51 AM »

Is this really tenth grade English all over again?  What the heck was in that Whopper? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #1835 on: November 13, 2013, 12:50:54 AM »

Let me get this straight. Are you saying that Asteriktos is pidgeon holing males into some sort of irrational, male, competitive, stereotype?

I took it to be Asteriktos showing an astute understanding of the female brain, and making his character Jake play that understanding flawlessly- knowing that buying both cups is exactly the kind of sappy stuff that ladies love.

And I think we officially just started a book club.

Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1836 on: November 13, 2013, 12:55:41 AM »

Is this really tenth grade English all over again?  What the heck was in that Whopper? 

I am not sure if I have ever had a Whopper (or there was no justification for remembering it). I was in remedial English in tenth grade (that's a fact).
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1837 on: November 13, 2013, 08:02:36 AM »

There is always, always a context for Sexy Hitler.  It may not be appropriate, but it's there.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1838 on: November 13, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »

There is always, always a context for Sexy Hitler.  It may not be appropriate, but it's there.

I'll need to find this context, some day...

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1839 on: November 13, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »

I'll need to find this context, some day...

Easy.  We're talking about it.

You're welcome.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #1840 on: November 13, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »

^ Politics, anyone?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1841 on: November 13, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »

^ Politics, anyone?

Sexy politics.  Is there a thread on that?  I don't have access to politics, so I wouldn't know.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1842 on: November 13, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »

Mein Fuhrer!  Conservative self-abuse fodder found.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1843 on: November 13, 2013, 11:29:56 AM »

^ Politics, anyone?

Sexy politics.  Is there a thread on that?  I don't have access to politics, so I wouldn't know.

You're better off without access to "Politics".  There is no such thing as "sexy politics".  There is sexual politics, sex in politics, political sex, sex/lies/and politics, etc.  but..."sexy politics"??  Nah.  And meh.  And yuck.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1844 on: November 13, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »

Am I the only one seriously bothered by the Hitler pic? Not because of the sexual pose but something else.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: