OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 02:14:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 64044 times) Average Rating: 3
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1710 on: October 23, 2013, 10:03:40 AM »

Well I broke up with her. And yeah she wasn't going to leave me.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1711 on: October 23, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

Relationships sound like too much of a hassle to me. Those horror stories you hear both irl and on OC.net don't make it any better either. With a stroke of luck I might be able to continue dodging Cupid's arrows.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1712 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »

Well I broke up with her. And yeah she wasn't going to leave me.
So really, your the jerk here, not the girl.  Is that what I'm getting?  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1713 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »

Relationships sound like too much of a hassle to me. Those horror stories you hear both irl and on OC.net don't make it any better either. With a stroke of luck I might be able to continue dodging Cupid's arrows.
You gotta stop reading the Stoics lol.

But really they aren't complicated. You just have to read between the lines on these "horror" stories.

Start with dating and then worry about relationships later.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1714 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:45 AM »

If you aren't codependent and don't naturally fall into relationships you are probably best just staying single.  Don't let people pressure you into it because it's expected of you.  

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1715 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »

Well its more important that he is happy with or without a relationship.

Plus who needs a relationship when you are the next Erasmus, they will just get in the way. Wink

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #1716 on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:12 AM »

I'm not advocating an open relationship, although say if my girlfriend had the opportunity to sleep with her favorite celebrity then go for it.

But seriously, I was just talking more about the little crap in a monogamous relationship.

Eh I don't know if its trust, guys just have insecurities and they can wreck havoc on a relationship.

I always think its funny when guys used to hit up my recent ex on Facebook and texts. Keep trying she ain't leaving me lol. None of them cared about her having a bf. But I never got jealous and actually encouraged her to get their hopes up for entertainment.

Kiss

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1717 on: October 23, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »

Eh I don't know if its trust, guys people just have insecurities and they can wreck havoc on a relationship.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1718 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

I always think its funny when guys used to hit up my recent ex on Facebook and texts. Keep trying she ain't leaving me lol. None of them cared about her having a bf. But I never got jealous and actually encouraged her to get their hopes up for entertainment.

Whose?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1719 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

Whose?
Mine.

I had a girlfriend who had a real life stalker that we had to take to court. And yet we were the ones laughed out of the courtroom. It was bizarre.

Tried to get a restraining order.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:58:12 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1720 on: October 23, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »

Whose?
Mine.

Why am I not surprised?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1721 on: October 23, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »

Whose?
Mine.

Why am I not surprised?
Huh

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1722 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:44 PM »

If you aren't codependent and don't naturally fall into relationships you are probably best just staying single.  Don't let people pressure you into it because it's expected of you.  

Codependent is a word developed by the pop-psych industry when they had to figure out how to begin making love a pathology.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1723 on: October 23, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »

Codependent is a word developed by the pop-psych industry when they had to figure out how to begin making love a pathology.

Fair 'nuff.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
eyesmile

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1724 on: October 23, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »

That's because you are wise and it is the same conclusion I've come to having experienced the emotional grief and injuries of both serious and casual intimacy outside marriage early in life and seeing it all around.
Unless God sends a soul mate I'm content with low key flirting and talk-listening to make nice gals, and myself both feel good because I adore genuine femininity.

So on the lighter side which is fun to talk and laugh about it's all in the eyes guys, master your eyecontact and communication skills with discretion & agility and no woman you choose to woo can resist you.

Disclaimer:
Use with caution.  
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1725 on: October 24, 2013, 12:14:24 AM »

Very well put.  I never saw how somebody could love someone without being somewhat codependent.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1726 on: October 24, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »

Very well put.  I never saw how somebody could love someone without being somewhat codependent.

I guess how I meant it was as needing an unspecific someone to function optimally.  If Cyrillic can keep his wits about him while being single than I see no need for him to force himself into finding a relationship because it is the "normal thing to do".  If this describes him then I envy him.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1727 on: October 24, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »

I guess how I meant it was as needing an unspecific someone to function optimally.  If Cyrillic can keep his wits about him while being single than I see no need for him to force himself into finding a relationship because it is the "normal thing to do".  If this describes him then I envy him.

It isn't as nice as you think. Some of my friends ridicule me for it when I taunt them with their failed flirting attempts and annoying girlfriends. But yes, I think I prefer it to having the need to be in a relationship.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1728 on: October 24, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »

Very well put.  I never saw how somebody could love someone without being somewhat codependent.

In my experience codependence is a term more specifically applied in the area of addiction and addiction counseling.  It really has very little to do with love, if by love we mean agape or even "just" doing and willing that which is best for the loved one, or being patient, kind, and never failing the other.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:34:01 AM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1729 on: October 24, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »

In my experience codependence is a term more specifically applied in the area of addiction and addiction counseling.  It really has very little to do with love, if by love we mean agape or even "just" doing and willing that which is best for the loved one, or being patient, kind, and never failing the other.

I have never dwelt much on how modern psycobabble defines certain words.  To me, a man is not complete without a woman, and a woman is not complete without a man.  While there are clear exceptions, the above is the norm.  My wife completes many of the areas where I am lacking or failing, and I depend on her for that.  Likewise, I do the same for her.  I never saw "love" as a 50/50 proposition, but rather a synergy where the sum benefit yeilded greater than 100%.  I realize that is not often seen in today's world, but we live in an environment where independence and satisfaction of self is preferred over sacrifice, service and dependence upon a community, even if that community is the family.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1730 on: October 24, 2013, 02:28:16 PM »

Very well put.  I never saw how somebody could love someone without being somewhat codependent.

I can post on this at length but I am currently making sure the French spell check in IE2.3 works or something and it is making my computer all most impossible to use, yes the addiction "scientists" (drunks) started the mess, but it entered pop vernacular in the late 70s and went nuclear in the 80s.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1731 on: October 24, 2013, 02:36:50 PM »

I can post on this at length but I am currently making sure the French spell check in IE2.3 works or something and it is making my computer all most impossible to use, yes the addiction "scientists" (drunks) started the mess, but it entered pop vernacular in the late 70s and went nuclear in the 80s.

When did ti go viral?

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1732 on: October 24, 2013, 02:42:38 PM »

I can post on this at length

No doubt.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1733 on: October 24, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »

When did ti go viral?

Just after viral did.

I am not yet a member for the Society for Creative Anachronism. But I do have my hopes up.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 03:24:16 PM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1734 on: October 24, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »

When did ti go viral?

Just after viral did.

I am not yet a member for the Society for Creative Anachronism. But I do have my hopes up.

The only viral us who play with swords and armour get is yersina pestis.

That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1735 on: November 02, 2013, 06:10:08 PM »

So a friend is setting me up. This is exciting for me, but I'm also a bit unsure how to proceed. Any general tips for situations like this?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1736 on: November 02, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »

Don't freak out and listen to what she has to say. Show interest even when it isn't interesting.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:15:51 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1737 on: November 02, 2013, 06:49:36 PM »

Don't freak out and listen to what she has to say. Show interest even when it isn't interesting.
What Stoic did you get that from?

Datemius Maximus?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:50:11 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1738 on: November 02, 2013, 06:52:16 PM »

Datemius Maximus?

Commonius Sensius.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #1739 on: November 02, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »

Datemius Maximus?

The stoic version would be, "listen to what she says, not for the sake of any interest you have in her or what she says, but that you might know how better to instill your own virtue in her."

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #1740 on: November 04, 2013, 01:36:27 AM »

Datemius Maximus?

The stoic version would be, "listen to what she says, not for the sake of any interest you have in her or what she says, but that you might know how better to instill your own virtue in her."

Beautiful.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #1741 on: November 04, 2013, 01:40:43 AM »

Personally, relationships for me tend to be something to avoid, outside of very close friendship. I'm better as the resident sage with good advice who listens willingly to people's relationship woes then as an actual participant. I tried it once- didn't go so well.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1742 on: November 04, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »

Today a girl asked me to come over and help her eat the chocolate pie that she baked. I didn't mind since I'm very fond of pies. When I arrived she hugged me and complained that she hadn't seen me for so long (it can't have been more than 6 weeks or so - the drama!). So then we ate pie she started bragging about how many boys she had to turn down and 'friendzone', and how they were all handsome and smart (why would I care?) and how she was the smartest girl in class and how everyone likes her. I don't get it. Why would you brag to me? Why would I care? It's not like my approval is worth something. Does it add to your self-esteem? Anyway, I excused myself as soon as I ate the pie, told her I had to do some homework and left.

Seriously, girls are mysterious creatures.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:08:56 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1743 on: November 04, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »

Today a girl asked me to come over and help her eat the chocolate pie that she baked. I didn't mind since I'm very fond of pies. When I arrived she hugged me and complained that she hadn't seen me for so long (it can't have been more than 6 weeks or so - the drama!). So then we ate pie and she started bragging about how many boys she had to turn down and 'friendzone', and how they were all handsome and smart (why would I care?) and how she was the smartest girl in class and how everyone likes her. I don't get it. Why would you brag to me? Why would I care? It's not like my approval is worth something. Anyway, I excused myself as soon as I ate the pie, told her I had to do some homework and left.

Sounds a bit like a Fanfiction Mary Sue to me. I should know- I've read enough.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1744 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »

Datemius Maximus?

LOL!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1745 on: November 04, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »

Datemius Maximus?

Beautiful.

Cavaradossi can do this stuff all day long.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1746 on: November 04, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »

Today a girl asked me to come over and help her eat the chocolate pie that she baked. I didn't mind since I'm very fond of pies. When I arrived she hugged me and complained that she hadn't seen me for so long (it can't have been more than 6 weeks or so - the drama!). So then we ate pie and she started bragging about how many boys she had to turn down and 'friendzone', and how they were all handsome and smart (why would I care?) and how she was the smartest girl in class and how everyone likes her. I don't get it. Why would you brag to me? Why would I care? It's not like my approval is worth something. Does it add to your self-esteem? Anyway, I excused myself as soon as I ate the pie, told her I had to do some homework and left.

She invited you over for pie?  Where's the mystery in that? 

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1747 on: November 04, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »

Today a girl asked me to come over and help her eat the chocolate pie that she baked. I didn't mind since I'm very fond of pies. When I arrived she hugged me and complained that she hadn't seen me for so long (it can't have been more than 6 weeks or so - the drama!). So then we ate pie and she started bragging about how many boys she had to turn down and 'friendzone', and how they were all handsome and smart (why would I care?) and how she was the smartest girl in class and how everyone likes her. I don't get it. Why would you brag to me? Why would I care? It's not like my approval is worth something. Does it add to your self-esteem? Anyway, I excused myself as soon as I ate the pie, told her I had to do some homework and left.

She invited you over for pie?  Where's the mystery in that? 

Why it wasn't cake and tea, of course. Everyone knows if you want to be hospitable, you offer guests' tea- and remember to put the milk in first.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1748 on: November 04, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »

You did well, friend.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1749 on: November 04, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »

You've just saved a lot of your time, money and sanity.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1750 on: November 04, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »

You've just saved a lot of your time, money and sanity.

And tea and desserts, don't forget tea.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1751 on: November 04, 2013, 04:44:26 PM »

Why it wasn't cake and tea, of course. Everyone knows if you want to be hospitable, you offer guests' tea- and remember to put the milk in first.

I don't think she wanted to be hospitable, I think she wanted Cyrillic to eat her pie. 

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1752 on: November 04, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »

she fancies you. maybe wants to play with your heart and then break it.
stay friends, stay cool.
 Cool

(u could invite her for an akathist though...)
 Wink
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1753 on: November 04, 2013, 04:50:08 PM »

She obviously wanted for Cyrillic's virtue to be instilled in her, as Cavaradossi said.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #1754 on: November 04, 2013, 04:51:14 PM »

I don't think she wanted to be hospitable, I think she wanted Cyrillic to eat her pie. 

If you're offering one dessert, then you are being hospitable. Unless they're allergic, in which case problems may ensue. And I am going to try avoiding making an innuendo that I know most are thinking, but I'm going to not say.

Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: