OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:48:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 58584 times) Average Rating: 3
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1665 on: September 24, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »

I believe he is referencing the decline in freshness that is experienced when a delicious gingerbread (or genderbread) person sits out on the counter for too long, especially in a humid climate.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1666 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »

Regarding the questions about gender identity, I'm not really sure. This is all so new to me. I don't even know what I am any more (no intention of claiming divine status when I say that).  I always thought I was male, but Sophie said that almost no one is a pure male or female, that these are hypothetical social constructs we use to differentiate ourselves from others, or more often, discriminate against people, using biological differences as a flimsy justification. She said I was actually an M +5 / F +2 / N +8 (if I remember correctly). I'm not sure what that means, but apparently that's how I scored. I'm going to ask her about it next time we see each other.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:19:08 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

There are many foolish priests out there.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1667 on: September 24, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »

Our society.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #1668 on: September 24, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

I guess I'm so steeped in academic transgressivity that nothing can be taken as parody anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if there were real cognitive neuroscientificalists marking people on a gender continuum in this manner.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1669 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »

Regarding the questions about gender identity, I'm not really sure. This is all so new to me. I don't even know what I am any more (no intention of claiming divine status when I say that).  I always thought I was male, but Sophie said that almost no one is a pure male or female, that these are hypothetical social constructs we use to differentiate ourselves from others, or more often, discriminate against people, using biological differences as a flimsy justification. She said I was actually an M +5 / F +2 / N +8 (if I remember correctly). I'm not sure what that means, but apparently that's how I scored. I'm going to ask her about it next time we see each other.
Where can I take this test?  I would like to know where I score on this continuum.  Maybe just give me Sophie's phone number.  I'm sure she won't think it is weird at all that some guy that she went on one date with knows a guy on an internet forum that wants to talk with her.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1670 on: September 24, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »

They're doing it at a bunch of universities, just give me your exact city or zip and I will find the closest one to you, and see if they are still accepting volunteers.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1671 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »

I thought about putting this in the Random Postings thread, but figured it'd be of more practical use here.

Apparently there is a law in Connorsville Wisconsin which makes it illegal for a man to shoot off a gun while his female partner is having an orgasm.

(Google it if you don't believe me)

Please keep this in mind if you live in that area.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1672 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »

I thought about putting this in the Random Postings thread, but figured it'd be of more practical use here.

Apparently there is a law in Connorsville Wisconsin which makes it illegal for a man to shoot off a gun while his female partner is having an orgasm.

What if you think they are faking it?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1673 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:57 PM »

I just found this.  I don't know if it is all true, but if it is, it is hilarious.

The following are actual sex laws in the United States that are still on the books today:

1. Oral sex is illegal in 18 states, including Kansas and Utah.

2. It is illegal in 18 states for a man to have an er*ction that shows through his pants.

3. It is illegal in Willowdale, Oregon, for men to talk dirty to their wives during interco*rse.

4. Sexual interco*rse between unmarried couples is illegal in the state of Georgia.

5. In Dyersburg, Tennessee, it is illegal for a lady to call a gentleman for a date.

6. In Connorsville, Wisconsin, it is illegal for a man to shoot off a gun while his female partner is having an org*sm.

7. In Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, it is illegal to have sex with a truck driver inside a toll booth.

8. Having sex with a porcupine is illegal in Florida.

9. In Utah, it is illegal to marry your first cousin before the age of 65.

10. In Washington State, it is illegal to have sex with a virgin under any circumstances, including the wedding night! However, sex with animals is perfectly legal for men in Washington State, as long as the animal weighs less than 40 pounds.

Honorable mentions:

- In Bakersfield, California, you must use a condom if you are having sex with Satan.

- In Virginia, it is illegal to have sex with the lights on.

- In Clinton, Oklahoma, it is illegal to masturb*te while watching two people have sex in a car.

- Sexual interco*rse between unmarried couples is illegal in Georgia.

- In Minnesota, it is illegal to have sex with a live fish. (Dead fish are okay though.)

- Engaging in any sexual position other than missionary is illegal in Washington, DC.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1674 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:36 AM »

Roll Eyes

Watch out for Sophie-isms.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1675 on: September 25, 2013, 10:27:18 AM »

Even a cap gun?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1676 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:12 AM »

*insert crude double entendre about gun going off here*

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1677 on: September 26, 2013, 12:16:09 AM »

Just an update--so far I have received $26.91 in my Paypal account from oc.net members. Thank you very much!  More is always welcome of course. Between the rental car, dinner, and entertainment we're looking at a minimum of $100 a date.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1678 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »

PROTIP: when trying to impress a lady on a date, take her to places that she had interests in.

Like if she is into butterflies take her to a butterfly pavilion. Or if she likes the ocean/sea creatures take her to an aquarium.

Or follow up her interests in choosing a restuarant to dine in.

In other words be creative and it will show you care about her interests which will make you look really good.

I took a girl who had a boyfriend on a date that did the above, and I seriously hit a home run cause when that dude came back from vacation she broke up with him to be with me.

And that was only the first date.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 09:48:51 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1679 on: October 21, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

PROTIP: when trying to impress a lady on a date, take her to places that she had interests in.

Like if she is into butterflies take her to a butterfly pavilion. Or if she likes the ocean/sea creatures take her to an aquarium.

Or follow up her interests in choosing a restuarant to dine in.

In other words be creative and it will show you care about her interests which will make you look really good.

I took a girl who had a boyfriend on a date that did the above, and I seriously hit a home run cause when that dude came back from vacation she broke up with him to be with me.

And that was only the first date.
My wife love shoe shopping.  Do you want to take her on a date?  I will pay you to do so if it gets me out of it.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1680 on: October 21, 2013, 10:06:28 AM »

Since I love shoes myself, sure thing.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1681 on: October 21, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »

5. In Dyersburg, Tennessee, it is illegal for a lady to call a gentleman for a date.

A place that still honors etiquette.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1682 on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:53 AM »

Dude, we really should call it a life. One of our States will be the next to be cool with same sex marriage. Sooner than that one of them is going to fully recognize same sex marriage contracted in other States. We could just elope in Manhattan.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 10:17:38 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1683 on: October 21, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »

Dude, we really should call it a life. One of our States will be the next to be cool with same sex marriage. Sooner than that one of them is going to fully recognize same sex marriage contracted in other States. We could just elope in Manhattan.
No way. I'm trying to get him to take my wife on a date here.  You can't just nose in and mess that up.

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #1684 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »

A place that still honors etiquette.

Amen.  I'm old-school. 

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1685 on: October 21, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »

How's your credit?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1686 on: October 21, 2013, 11:03:21 AM »

How's your credit?

Lower than my cholesterol higher than my IQ.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1687 on: October 21, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »

How's your credit?

Oh you. Tongue

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1688 on: October 21, 2013, 11:10:38 AM »

How's your credit?

Isn't a high cholesterol level somewhere around 240-250? Achronos, if his credit is below that, I think you should find a more suitable partner.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1689 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:37 AM »

I'm surprised they could even measure his IQ

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1690 on: October 21, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

How's your credit?

Isn't a high cholesterol level somewhere around 240-250? Achronos, if his credit is below that, I think you should find a more suitable partner.
He just needs to stop being silly, silly.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1691 on: October 23, 2013, 07:14:27 AM »

PROTIP#2: Give your woman real freedom.

And no I'm not a feminazi but let me explain.

Anytime a man tells a woman she can't do x what does she do? She does exactly what you tell her not to do.

Maybe this is a generational thing. Girls in my gen do not like to feel "tied down". They want to have fun, be adventurous, etc.

My former best friend was an insecure control freak. Anytime he told (well threatened) her not to hang out with some guy friends...what did she do? Hang out with them. The more he tried to control, the more these women are pushed away.

The funny part is the more freedom you give them to do something, they would rather not do it. For example I had a girlfriend that wanted to hang out with her group of guy friends. For me it was no big deal, but she ended up wanting to hang out with me instead. Had I been the jealous type, and got into it, she would have rebelled against me and do what I told her she couldn't.

So in the end don't be the controlling guy. Its almost a bit like reverse psychology. The more freedom you give them, the closer they want to be to you.

And really let your girl do whatever she wants. If the love is real, what do you have to worry about?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1692 on: October 23, 2013, 07:18:33 AM »

Maybe this is a generational thing. Girls in my gen do not like to feel "tied down". They want to have fun, be adventurous, etc.

Girls just want to have fuhun.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1693 on: October 23, 2013, 07:34:57 AM »

Yup. Girls want to do what they want to do.

And yes ladies I am available.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:35:58 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1694 on: October 23, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »

And really let your girl do whatever she wants. If the love is real, what do you have to worry about?

Asteriktos did that. He might have a piece of advice for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:48:13 AM by Romaios » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1695 on: October 23, 2013, 08:03:55 AM »

Which is what?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1696 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »

Which is what?
It did not end well.  At all.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1697 on: October 23, 2013, 08:21:33 AM »

Which is what?
Link me to the post.

I thought all his stories were made up just to be funny.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1698 on: October 23, 2013, 08:23:34 AM »

Which is what?
Link me to the post.

It was a ways back, but I'll see if I can find it.  It was not a humorous post.  Sad

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #1699 on: October 23, 2013, 09:10:54 AM »

Which is what?
Link me to the post.

It was a ways back, but I'll see if I can find it.  It was not a humorous post.  Sad

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38137.msg955948.html#msg955948
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1700 on: October 23, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »

Care to point out how that invalidates the advice I gave above?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #1701 on: October 23, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »

Love without boundaries (what St. Augustine called inordinata caritas) is not real.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1702 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »

Love without boundaries (what St. Augustine called inordinata caritas) is not real.
Except the fact that Asteriktos' ex-wife is a complete . . .

We are talking about two different things I believe.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:38:47 AM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1703 on: October 23, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »

I really don't feel it is right to drag poor Asteriktos into all this especially since he is not even here to comment on this himself.  If people want to read what he wrote and draw their own conclusions, that is fine, but since he is not here to comment one way or another, lets let well enough alone.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1704 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »

I really don't feel it is right to drag poor Asteriktos into all this especially since he is not even here to comment on this himself.  If people want to read what he wrote and draw their own conclusions, that is fine, but since he is not here to comment one way or another, lets let well enough alone.
Well his story isn't relevant to my point.

There are terrible women out there that don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and will hurt anyone, destroy in their path. Especially men that are truly selfless and sensitive.

Somehow the sensitive types are like magnets to these terrible women.

I was like that before.

I'm talking about decent girls who you are with.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1705 on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:25 AM »

^ before females jump on that. Yes I know that is true for men as well.

But I've seen more men literally have their lives ruined by women. I've seen guys try to kill themselves over losing a worthless girl.

Men are pretty pathetic .

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1706 on: October 23, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »

Well his story isn't relevant to my point.

There are terrible women out there that don't give a damn about anyone but themselves and will hurt anyone, destroy in their path. Especially men that are truly selfless and sensitive.

Somehow the sensitive types are like magnets to these terrible women.

I was like that before.

I was addressing everyone in general, not you in particular.

In regards to your point, I think you need to be able to trust your significant other and not be controlling.  If however, you are advocating an "open" relationship whereby it is ok to sleep around with other people, I think that is extremely damaging to a relationship in the long term (and probably short term as well)

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #1707 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:05 AM »

Don't be too hasty to dismiss anybody as "indecent".

Each of us should know how easily we cross the line between "decent" and "indecent" whenever we sin.

Decency means (self-imposed) boundaries...

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1708 on: October 23, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »

I'm not advocating an open relationship, although say if my girlfriend had the opportunity to sleep with her favorite celebrity then go for it.

But seriously, I was just talking more about the little crap in a monogamous relationship.

Eh I don't know if its trust, guys just have insecurities and they can wreck havoc on a relationship.

I always think its funny when guys used to hit up my recent ex on Facebook and texts. Keep trying she ain't leaving me lol. None of them cared about her having a bf. But I never got jealous and actually encouraged her to get their hopes up for entertainment.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1709 on: October 23, 2013, 09:59:05 AM »

I'm not advocating an open relationship, although say if my girlfriend had the opportunity to sleep with her favorite celebrity then go for it.

But seriously, I was just talking more about the little crap in a monogamous relationship.

Eh I don't know if its trust, guys just have insecurities and they can wreck havoc on a relationship.

I always think its funny when guys used to hit up my recent ex on Facebook and texts. Keep trying she ain't leaving me lol. None of them cared about her having a bf. But I never got jealous and actually encouraged her to get their hopes up for entertainment.

Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: