OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:27:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 59940 times) Average Rating: 3
hewhoknocks and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »

She wants to have sex with you and all you can think about is studying.

Dude, if she wanted to have sex she'd be sending signals. Seriously, you know nothing about women.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2011, 03:55:54 AM »

Quit pulling our legs, I'm cracking up.  Cheesy Cheesy

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »

Dude, if she wanted to have sex she'd be sending signals. Seriously, you know nothing about women.
Ok, from someone who actually has been pretty successful with women and am currently married happily let me give you some advice.

Firstly, she's interested. Not with sex per se, but with you. Touching (also laughing and slapping your arm, touching your knee for a second while talking to you, etc) is signs of comfortability. If she was not interested at all with you (friends or otherwise) she would not firstly, call it a "date" nor be at your house. She would choose a neutral place. She also would most assuredly not be the one to suggest your place.

Secondly, she finds you disarming and easy to talk to. She would not come over so late and mentioning staying up late if she found you to be a tool.

Now, what to do. I would start by sitting diagonal until such time that sitting next to her is acceptable. Such as reading something she is reading or she asks you to "come here and take a look at this", etc. I would also find out what she likes for a snack. if she likes salad whip up something cheap and easy "in case she gets hungry". Coffee wouldn't hurt either. I wouldn't assume anything. Get to know each other. Talk a bit. Take a break from studying for 20 mins or so (salad and coffee or sammiches, or whatever) and let her talk. Ask her stuff like how she chose the school, what she plans to do after graduating, etc. Keep it light and let her dictate the pace. Her comfortability is paramount.

I will say you have one thing going in your favor. She at least finds you interesting. Where it leads (if you want it to lead anywhere) is really up to HER.....not you Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Where it leads (if you want it to lead anywhere) is really up to HER.....not you Smiley

At last, a man who understands women.

Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »

Where it leads (if you want it to lead anywhere) is really up to HER.....not you Smiley

At last, a man who understands women.

Grin
My wife would disagree a little bit but hey, I did land her so I had to do something right Smiley

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2011, 12:31:29 PM »

You landed your wife?

Angry Wink

Excuse me. We are not trout.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #141 on: September 13, 2011, 12:36:49 PM »

You landed your wife?

Angry Wink

See? one reason my wife would disagree...my terminology is a bit.....off Smiley
However you are correct. landing the biggest trout gets you an award....landing the biggest wife gets you a higher grocery bill........

PP
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:38:45 PM by primuspilus » Logged

Gregory the Great

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #142 on: September 13, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »

You landed your wife?

Angry Wink

I thought he was referring to her as an airplane.  Not sure where one would go with that, but it is a funny mental image.  I hope I score me a Stuka someday.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #143 on: September 13, 2011, 03:32:59 PM »

I was imaging him catching a fish and letting it (her) flop all over the ground while he said "YAHHHHOOOOO!"

Wink

--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #144 on: September 13, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »

I was imaging him catching a fish and letting it (her) flop all over the ground while he said "YAHHHHOOOOO!"

Wink
Thats pretty funny as I actually got her into fishing with me. She goes with me at least twice a week :0

PP

Gregory the Great

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2011, 03:53:37 PM »

Wink
Thats pretty funny as I actually got her into fishing with me. She goes with me at least twice a week :0

PP

So, if she ever falls in and you pull her out you might get a chance to land her.  There, your poor word choices have now been justified.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #146 on: September 13, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »

Ok, from someone who actually has been pretty successful with women and am currently married happily let me give you some advice.

Firstly, she's interested. Not with sex per se, but with you. Touching (also laughing and slapping your arm, touching your knee for a second while talking to you, etc) is signs of comfortability. If she was not interested at all with you (friends or otherwise) she would not firstly, call it a "date" nor be at your house. She would choose a neutral place. She also would most assuredly not be the one to suggest your place.

Secondly, she finds you disarming and easy to talk to. She would not come over so late and mentioning staying up late if she found you to be a tool.

Now, what to do. I would start by sitting diagonal until such time that sitting next to her is acceptable. Such as reading something she is reading or she asks you to "come here and take a look at this", etc. I would also find out what she likes for a snack. if she likes salad whip up something cheap and easy "in case she gets hungry". Coffee wouldn't hurt either. I wouldn't assume anything. Get to know each other. Talk a bit. Take a break from studying for 20 mins or so (salad and coffee or sammiches, or whatever) and let her talk. Ask her stuff like how she chose the school, what she plans to do after graduating, etc. Keep it light and let her dictate the pace. Her comfortability is paramount.

I will say you have one thing going in your favor. She at least finds you interesting. Where it leads (if you want it to lead anywhere) is really up to HER.....not you Smiley

PP
If you had to plan stuff out like this hours ahead of time just to land a broad (as Orthonorm would say) I would be a monk right now.  Grin

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »

I must resume this child of mine soon. My wisdom while helping within OC.net chat, I realize needs to be planted here where more can benefit.

If posters would just stop posting ridiculous threads . . . I could get back to doing the Lord's work.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »

If posters would just stop posting ridiculous threads . . . I could get back to doing the Lord's work.

I want to be right at the gate when you try giving Him THAT excuse.

--
--
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »

I must resume this child of mine soon. My wisdom while helping within OC.net chat, I realize needs to be planted here where more can benefit.

You could always end the schism and hopefully increase the availability of kosher women. That would be a noble worthwhile task.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »

Believe me, you guys don't want Catholic girls. We're insane, and not in the good way.

--
--
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »

Believe me, you guys don't want Catholic girls. We're insane, and not in the good way.

I dated one once. If I picked my church based only on the one person that I personally knew with the most personal holiness, I would have to be Catholic because of her.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »

As opposed to the Orthodox?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »

Aw, I'm just kidding around. Kind of (I am a little crazy and so are the people I grew up around). My husband preferred them, too (his Pentecostal parents LOVED that and LOVE that I've supposedly brought him to Orthodoxy). I wonder why?

Akimori - LMAO! I don't know what you're talking about.

--
--
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

As opposed to the Orthodox?

Is that Kim Cardassian?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »

It's de Greeks.

--
--
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

It's de Greeks.

Could Parminides and Plato have foreseen what would become of their noble bloodline?

I despair.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2011, 08:36:27 PM »

Thanks for the advice, especially primuspilus, but it was for naught!  Sad

I was at school today and I saw someone in the lounge that I recognized from my sociology class, so I said hello. We got to talking and she was really afraid of the test coming up and was probably going to withdraw from the course. I obviously didn't want to see that happen to anyone, so I invited her to the study sessions at my place. She didn't seem to want to come, but when I told her about Sarah being there as well she seemed a bit more at ease and agreed to come. Well, she got there about 7:30, and we started studying a bit. Then Sarah got there maybe 15 minutes later, and it all went downhill from there. Sarah walks into the living room and then just stopped, and got mad for some reason. "What the heck is this?" she asked, only she didn't say "heck".  I tried to explain why Desiree was here, but she wouldn't listen. I think the main thing that got Sarah mad is that I said "we could turn it into a threesome". What's the big deal? Three heads are better than one!  She just said something like "I'm not into that you sick frick," only she didn't say "frick". Then she left. Now she won't return my calls or texts.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »

WAIT, I MUST KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT. Oh, the drama!

(LOL the study part, not the threesome. At least I hope not. Wink )
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:42:10 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »

I think the main thing that got Sarah mad is that I said "we could turn it into a threesome"

BWAHAHAHA! Probably not the best joke for the moment, but still funny.

I'm going to need this.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »

There's a good insane?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:58 AM »

LOL ok so the story is a joke, just making sure. I was right
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:45:11 AM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:41 AM »

My life is no joke!  Thankfully desiree stayed the night to console me...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »

I feel much better today. Sarah is gone, but at least I still have Desiree. Here's a picture of her I took this morning before she left. I was going to kiss her goodbye, but I figured maybe that would be moving too quickly.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #164 on: September 14, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

Wow, not many girls wear jean jackets without anything underneath! She's a keeper!

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #165 on: September 14, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »

Yeah, she came out of the bedroom with my jacket on and asked how she looked. I thought she looked good, though I'm confused why she was wearing it. I guess she just liked it, maybe I should buy her one like that?

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »

Maybe you should say, "No, take it off RIGHT NOW. THAT'S MINE," and see how she responds.  laugh

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »

Maybe you should say, "No, take it off RIGHT NOW. THAT'S MINE," and see how she responds.  laugh

Shocked Angry Hello? Then she'd be naked! What are you, crazy? It was hard enough sleeping in the wrong direction last night. I was getting ready to sleep on the couch, cause she was already in bed in the bedroom, and she said something about not minding if I join her. I figured it might be a bit cramped, but it really wasn't. However, I obviously laid in the opposite direction so I wouldn't accidentally touch her inappropriately, and it was hard sleeping "upside down," so to speak. If she's going to be staying over often I'm gonna have to buy an air mattress or something.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »

If I may also add, I'm getting frustrated with you people and your gutter-minds. Sex a few days after meeting? What are you even talking about? Even the really evil and perverted, like swingers or people from the Ukraine, don't do that. Haven't you ever heard of key parties? This is where swingers have a potluck dinner, and they all throw their keys into one container, and then randomly pull out someone else's keys, and then they talk with that person and decide whether they want to meet for lunch some time to get to know each other. It takes at least a few months, they don't just jump in the sack the first night! I don't know where you people live (probably San Francisco), but around these parts we still have a little thing called modesty and decorum.

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »

I didn't know that in your parts of the country, that you let a woman console you by sleeping in your bed! I should totally move out of San Fransisco, because here, sleeping a guy's bed usually means you have to join in the sexytime.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:52:48 AM by IsmiLiora » Logged

--
--
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »

Out of Christian charity I will not condemn you for your strange ideas and practices, but please remember that in most parts of the world what you describe would be quite unseemly!

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:37 AM »

Asteriktos, don't let these wicked people lead you astray.  You have the right mindset.  Any floozie who will sleep with you before marriage for any reason other than that you have a gun, is not worth the goats you would have paid to her father as restitution.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »

My father didn't get goats before my marriage. Did we do something wrong?  Huh Did my husband scam us?!

--
--
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:42 AM »

My father didn't get goats before my marriage. Did we do something wrong?  Huh Did my husband scam us?!

Oh no.  Goats are just the normal way.  A girl of your caliber was probably worth at least a half dozen camels.  Maybe even a good horse.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:48 AM »

Cry! Does that mean I'm easy?!

Listen, the only advice I've gotten concerning marriage and relationships was when my mother told me, "Don't give away the milk for free" when I started dating my then-boyfriend. Now every time I prepare him coffee or cereal, I charge him $3.00 and he isn't very happy about it. We're seeing a marriage counselor next week.

--
--
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »

Oh no.  Goats are just the normal way.  A girl of your caliber was probably worth at least a half dozen camels.  Maybe even a good horse.
What about a barbecue sauce recipe? That's what the deal was between me and my wife's dad....

PP

Gregory the Great

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2011, 10:19:20 AM »

What about a barbecue sauce recipe? That's what the deal was between me and my wife's dad....

PP

Wow, that's one saucy girl you've got there...
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »

If I may also add, I'm getting frustrated with you people and your gutter-minds. Sex a few days after meeting? What are you even talking about? Even the really evil and perverted, like swingers or people from the Ukraine, don't do that.

Watch it!

What are you intimating about Ukrainians?
 angel

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »

Cry! Does that mean I'm easy?!

Listen, the only advice I've gotten concerning marriage and relationships was when my mother told me, "Don't give away the milk for free" when I started dating my then-boyfriend. Now every time I prepare him coffee or cereal, I charge him $3.00 and he isn't very happy about it. We're seeing a marriage counselor next week.

I was always told don't buy the cow when the milk is free.  I spent the money I was going to use for the cow on an iPod and a used AK instead.  When I went to the bazaar I found that the milk proprietor's definition of free was different than mine.  He made me marry his ugly daughter for "stealing" the milk, but it all turned out for the best.  She came with a cow.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »

PP

Wow, that's one saucy girl you've got there...
**rimshot followed by applause**

Gregory the Great

Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: