OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 05:52:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 64099 times) Average Rating: 3
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1215 on: July 12, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »

I just lost any desire that I ever had to go in to space now.  Thanks JMichael!  Angry

Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1216 on: July 12, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »

I just lost any desire that I ever had to go in to space now. 

Sometimes I wonder if you ever care about this family.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1217 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »

My next date with Monika is tomorrow night. I'm really excited. We're going to see "The Pie Guy," and after that we'll probably go to Barnes and Noble to browse or something. Gonna be great!

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1218 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »

My next date with Monika is tomorrow night. I'm really excited. We're going to see "The Pie Guy," and after that we'll probably go to Barnes and Noble to browse or something. Gonna be great!
It's been so long since I dated, I forget.  Is this the date where you figure out who is selling their house and moving in to the others?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1219 on: July 12, 2013, 11:55:40 PM »

It's been so long since I dated, I forget.  Is this the date where you figure out who is selling their house and moving in to the others?

I don't know how other people do it, but I like to keep a separate place from someone I'm dating, if at all possible. In general I can't stand people, and I need a lot of alone time.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1220 on: July 13, 2013, 12:03:42 AM »

I don't know how other people do it, but I like to keep a separate place from someone I'm dating, if at all possible. In general I can't stand people, and I need a lot of alone time.
Smiley I knew I liked you for a reason.  I'm the same way.  Although, it became a bit more difficult once I got married.  Once kids came along, forget it.  My alone time went right out the window and in came Disney Princesses and Dora the Explorer.  Undecided

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1221 on: July 19, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »

So I didn't get a chance to post about my date with Moni last week. It was awesome. We went to a BBQ event here in town. The food was delicious, top notch, totally great. Unfortunately at one point there was this big argument, because one person said BBQ was about the rub and sauce, and another guy said that the term BBQ and the meaning behind it involved smoke. "No smoke, no BBQ" he kept yelling. Not like a regular person, but like one of those people on Jerry Springer who keeps repeating it over and over like if they say it loud enough and fast enough people will stop arguing with them.

No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ No smoke, no BBQ

But anyway that didn't last long cause the one guy arguing kept drinking and passed out soon enough. Then everyone went back to eating. Food was finger licking good, I will tell you. If anyone wants any I bourght some home and iwll male some to you if you would lik me too.

So after that we went down to Zizzy's Bar for a few drinks. I had a couple Shloshed  Satans, and Moni had some Jager Nukes. We didn't stay long there because I don't like bars. Next we went to the movies, as I had vip tickets to see an early screening of Generation Iron, the documentary about the 2012 bodybuilding contest the Mr. Olympia. Obviously I knew who was going to win, but Moni didn't, and it was really exciting for her watching it. Well you know how exciting bb competitions are to watch, you can't look away. Well after that she was all revved up and wanted to hit the gym, so we went by her gym and hit calves and traps. We were gonna hit lats (focusing on width), but we decided to call it a night and just head back to my place.

Great night!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:29:35 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1222 on: July 20, 2013, 06:54:40 AM »

It just seems like having a "significant other" is such a hassle. They take up your time. You have to watch dumb movies you don't like. You have to eat that yucky vegetable because it's her favorite. You can't surf oc.net all night because she wants to spend time with you. Then what if she gets sick? Are you going to clean up her vomit? Yucky. Or, if you're s.o. is a man, that's even worse. Men are such children. Or more often than not, babies. Ugh. What a waste of time. Do people really enjoy being in relationships? Is this real life? Or is this just fantasy? Is there any escape from this reality? I wish people would open their eyes and see. I'm just a simple man. I need no sympathy. Easy come, easy go. Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me. But for serious, why do people like serious relationships?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:55:35 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1223 on: July 20, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »

Are you going to clean up her vomit? Yucky. Or, if you're s.o. is a man, that's even worse.

As our Nicholas of Myra used to say (before he turned "stiff-necked"): "true love prostrates".
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1224 on: July 20, 2013, 08:17:39 AM »

It just seems like having a "significant other" is such a hassle. They take up your time. You have to watch dumb movies you don't like. You have to eat that yucky vegetable because it's her favorite. You can't surf oc.net all night because she wants to spend time with you. Then what if she gets sick? Are you going to clean up her vomit? Yucky. Or, if you're s.o. is a man, that's even worse. Men are such children. Or more often than not, babies. Ugh. What a waste of time. Do people really enjoy being in relationships? Is this real life? Or is this just fantasy? Is there any escape from this reality? I wish people would open their eyes and see. I'm just a simple man. I need no sympathy. Easy come, easy go. Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to me. But for serious, why do people like serious relationships?

all I know Asteriktos is ..its called a crazy little thing called love,  iteven makes people to be sucidal enough to pray 'find me somebody to love' Tongue

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1225 on: July 20, 2013, 08:43:37 AM »

This does not sound like a positive development.  Shocked

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1226 on: July 20, 2013, 09:08:53 AM »

You can't surf oc.net all night because she wants to spend time with you.

This is why I have no girlfriend Smiley
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:26:16 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1227 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43:02 PM »

I don't think what I want out of a relationship is too crazy. She comes over to my place, we watch a movie, we eat, we have a little play time, we snuggle, we talk a bit, we watch a tv show, then she leaves for the night and I can live in peace for a few days. Very simple. I love women. I think they're great. Much better than guys in most ways. But why do I have to live with one of them? That's just crazy-think.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1228 on: July 20, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »

You can't surf oc.net all night because she wants to spend time with you.

This is why I have no girlfriend Smiley

Ahh yes, the allure of religious discussion with anonymous people on the internet, what man can overcome his primal need for it? Sex drive? Self-preservation? What are those in comparison to posting here?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 03:44:18 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1229 on: July 20, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »

I don't think what I want out of a relationship is too crazy. She comes over to my place, we watch a movie, we eat, we have a little play time, we snuggle, we talk a bit, we watch a tv show, then she leaves for the night and I can live in peace for a few days. Very simple. I love women. I think they're great. Much better than guys in most ways. But why do I have to live with one of them? That's just crazy-think.
I'm pretty sure this is most men's dream.  Unfortunately, we must take the good w/ the bad.  Kiss

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1230 on: July 20, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is most men's dream.  Unfortunately, we must take the good w/ the bad.  Kiss

Well I am starting a revolution!

all I know Asteriktos is ..its called a crazy little thing called love,  iteven makes people to be sucidal enough to pray 'find me somebody to love' Tongue

I think God invented love so he could have a good laugh from time to time!

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1231 on: July 20, 2013, 05:16:21 PM »

Oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

we've Got The Right To Choose And
there Ain't No Way We'll Lose It
this Is Our Life, This Is Our Song
we'll Fight The Powers That Be Just
don't Pick Our Destiny 'cause
you Don't Know Us, You Don't Belong

oh We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1232 on: July 20, 2013, 05:19:49 PM »

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1233 on: July 20, 2013, 05:25:06 PM »

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1234 on: July 20, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »

We're coming!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1235 on: July 20, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »

This escalated quickly.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1236 on: July 20, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »

IF YOUR NOT WITH US, YOUR AGAINST US!  BURN HIM!

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #1237 on: July 20, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »

all I know Asteriktos is ..its called a crazy little thing called love,  iteven makes people to be sucidal enough to pray 'find me somebody to love' Tongue

I think God invented love so he could have a good laugh from time to time!

LOL that's a comforting thought as it is a scary one.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #1238 on: July 20, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »

Funny how people are always blaming love itself and never themselves. When was the last time you heard someone say, "I had a bad relationship because I deserved it"?

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1239 on: July 20, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »

Funny how people are always blaming love itself and never themselves. When was the last time you heard someone say, "I had a bad relationship because I deserved it"?

Um... every day of my life. But that wouldn't be especially amusing to post on here, now would it?  police

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #1240 on: July 20, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »

Um... every day of my life. But that wouldn't be especially amusing to post on here, now would it?  police

You haven't posted anything else amusing, so go for it.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1241 on: July 20, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »

Ouch.  Sad

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1242 on: July 20, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »

Sure. Well let's see. How about my marriage?

My inability to keep a job, my being a terrible father, my lack of any technical skills, my complete self-absorption, and my lack of education probably all played a part in the failure of my marriage of ~7 years. Also playing a part were my impulsive spending, my social anxiety, my anger issues, my flip flopping on religion and various other things, my lack of a normal sex drive,  my inability to support my family and reliance on welfare and housing projects, my laziness, certain side effects from medications I've taken for back problems, bipolar disorder, and diabetes, among other problems, my inability to think of others for even a second when it comes to budgeting money, my inability to lead a household, and my apathy about taking care of myself.

True, my wife decided she was an atheist lesbian who was willing to abandon her children and husband to run off with her girlfriend of 3 months, despite neither of them having a car, a job, a place to stay, or a dime to their name. But I had a part even in that. I encouraged her to explore her sexuality (bisexual at the time) for years. I helped her find someone to date. I drove her to some of these dates. I looked the other way when things were going wrong. I did little to nothing to address the problems in our marriage. I was too blind and naïve to see what was coming and to work towards getting things to go in another direction.

I found out later, btw, that my wife told lies about me physically abusing her to receive sympathy from people. That's how much she wanted out of the marriage. True, she was confused, but a lot of that came because of the environment my own problems caused in the relationship and the living environment in general. Eventually she agreed to let her mother and mother's boyfriend watch the kids because she and her girlfriend was unable to care for our two kids, and I wasn't able to by myself either (without a car, a job, etc.) I later learned that grandma was molesting the kids. Apparently I didn't see that coming either. Which is ironic because one of the things I hold against my family is that no one recognized when I was abused as a child.

Does that brighten up the thread for you?  That's what I talk about to my therapist, sometimes. I choose not to talk about it, much, here, but rather to make dumb jokes. All of the above is perhaps a bit much, considering that I don't sit around all day thinking about all that went wrong. But I realise on a daily basis what a horrible husband and father I've been. I just don't see much point in talking about it a lot on here.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1243 on: July 20, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »

Ouch.  Sad

Once you get to know biro you learn to not mind so much.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1244 on: July 20, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1245 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:43 PM »

^I will be back to talking about Moni by tomorrow  Smiley

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1246 on: July 20, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »

^I will be back to talking about Moni by tomorrow  Smiley
I know this means exactly squat, but I think you are a real decent guy, Justin.  I hope you are able to figure things out.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1247 on: July 21, 2013, 12:02:47 AM »

Sure. Well let's see. How about my marriage?

My inability to keep a job, my being a terrible father, my lack of any technical skills, my complete self-absorption, and my lack of education probably all played a part in the failure of my marriage of ~7 years. Also playing a part were my impulsive spending, my social anxiety, my anger issues, my flip flopping on religion and various other things, my lack of a normal sex drive,  my inability to support my family and reliance on welfare and housing projects, my laziness, certain side effects from medications I've taken for back problems, bipolar disorder, and diabetes, among other problems, my inability to think of others for even a second when it comes to budgeting money, my inability to lead a household, and my apathy about taking care of myself.

True, my wife decided she was an atheist lesbian who was willing to abandon her children and husband to run off with her girlfriend of 3 months, despite neither of them having a car, a job, a place to stay, or a dime to their name. But I had a part even in that. I encouraged her to explore her sexuality (bisexual at the time) for years. I helped her find someone to date. I drove her to some of these dates. I looked the other way when things were going wrong. I did little to nothing to address the problems in our marriage. I was too blind and naïve to see what was coming and to work towards getting things to go in another direction.

I found out later, btw, that my wife told lies about me physically abusing her to receive sympathy from people. That's how much she wanted out of the marriage. True, she was confused, but a lot of that came because of the environment my own problems caused in the relationship and the living environment in general. Eventually she agreed to let her mother and mother's boyfriend watch the kids because she and her girlfriend was unable to care for our two kids, and I wasn't able to by myself either (without a car, a job, etc.) I later learned that grandma was molesting the kids. Apparently I didn't see that coming either. Which is ironic because one of the things I hold against my family is that no one recognized when I was abused as a child.

Does that brighten up the thread for you?  That's what I talk about to my therapist, sometimes. I choose not to talk about it, much, here, but rather to make dumb jokes. All of the above is perhaps a bit much, considering that I don't sit around all day thinking about all that went wrong. But I realise on a daily basis what a horrible husband and father I've been. I just don't see much point in talking about it a lot on here.

I'm sorry.

Are your daughters okay?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1248 on: July 21, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »

Thanks.

And my daughters are probably in a better and more stable situation now than they've been in quite a while, and are doing fine. Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1249 on: July 23, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »

I just found out that Moni is free tonight for a date, so we're going to head down to the library in Unification PA. Apparently they have a 1:50 scale model of Piccadilly Circus, which I've always wanted to see. Wish me luck mates!

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1250 on: July 23, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »

Huh

How romantic.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1251 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »

I just found out that Moni is free tonight for a date, so we're going to head down to the library in Unification PA. Apparently they have a 1:50 scale model of Piccadilly Circus, which I've always wanted to see. Wish me luck mates!
Go get 'er!

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1252 on: July 23, 2013, 04:19:01 PM »

We're coming!

Glad to see converts acquiring Orthodox phronema. police

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1253 on: July 23, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »

You betcha!  Grin

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #1254 on: July 23, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »

Enjoy!! 

Hopefully they won't have free "drinks" that will shrink you to scale  Grin.  I've heard the hangover from those is just awful.  Ask Alice.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1255 on: July 24, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »

What a night! Piccadilly Circus was breathtaking! Totally worth the expense and time of going to see it. Here's a pic I took:

There had been some storm damage at the library and the rain was coming in while we looked at the model, and it got on the polaroid camera lens, but otherwise it was perfect.

We spent about three hours examining all the details of the model. It would have blown you guys away. No detail was excluded, it was perfect in every way. It seemed even more real than the real one, believe it or not! After a while we did have to go though, because I saw Moni standing next to the model, and I sort of have a giantess fetish thing, and I was ... well... it was just best that we leave at that point.

Anyway, so after that we went to Buck's Pizza and Wings in Unification PA. Their wings are pretty good--decent sauce, though a little small in size. Their breadsticks were excellent, and there pizza was also decent. The only problem with the pizza was that there was just too much of everything. The actual flavors were good, but there was too much sauce, and the dough was too thick, and the toppings made it heavy and kept it from cooking all the way through.

Next we went to the adult book store. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, maybe page 2 or 3, how I wanted to go there to get some books with mature content. All I have to say is... WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE WARN ME!? They don't have adult books in there! There was not a single book on astrophysics, neuropsychology, comparative religion and the like. It was all this smut smut smut. And why do they call it a book store? There were no books, just a bunch of magazines. I was so embarrassed. You wouldn't believe the things they had in there. Who comes up with this stuff? Well suffice to say I bought very little in there.

After that awkward half hour we decided to just call it a night and go back to my place and work on a plan for a model. We were so excited from the library that we want to make one of our own. I suggested something iconic, like the Lincoln memorial, or Heinz field. She suggested we start with something smaller as a test or practice build. We still haven't settled on anything yet, but the front runner right now is a recreation of the house from the TV show Mr. Belvedere, based on what can be seen during the show. We may have to watch through the seasons to see how much material we'd have to base our work on.

I also finally asked her about what direction she's going in life as far as religion, and she said she wasn't sure. I asked her what she thought about traditional Christianity, and she seemed a little standoffish, but overall willing to listen to my thoughts. Hope it goes well! I'll be brushing up on my early church history this week for sure!

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #1256 on: July 24, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »

I don't see a single clown.  How can this be a circus if there is no clowns?   Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1257 on: July 30, 2013, 04:49:45 AM »

I don't think it's that kind of circus. Thank goodness! I hate carnies!  Nomads, you know. Small hands. Smell like cabbage.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1258 on: July 30, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

Does Moni really exist?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1259 on: July 30, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

Does Moni really exist?

You really shouldn't have asked that, you know.  The mind is a very fragile thing.

Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: