OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:47:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column  (Read 60503 times) Average Rating: 3
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1080 on: May 16, 2013, 03:59:26 AM »

Bump, because my dating/romantic life is still nonexistent

-
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 04:37:59 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #1081 on: May 16, 2013, 04:31:12 AM »

Rejoice! Of all the irrational creatures women are the most difficult.

So what does that say for those of us who are interested in spending the rest of our lives with one?*

*=pending the discovery of this particular one.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1082 on: May 16, 2013, 09:09:37 AM »

So what does that say for those of us who are interested in spending the rest of our lives with one?*

If life were not full of challenges, it would quickly become dull.  Women exist to create tension in the world.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1083 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »

That we're just as ridiculous and irrational as they are?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1084 on: June 10, 2013, 04:47:42 AM »

So every weekend the local volunteer fire department has a club type thing, where they'll get a local DJ to come in and rock it. Yo. Anyway, so there is some fly honeys there sometimes so I go when I can to scope out the ladies and see who I can. Well this past Saturday I was all up in the club proceeding to get jiggily with it, and this hot mama comes up to me and says something. Well they're playing Everybody Dance Now by C&C, so I can't hear what she's saying. So we go outside and start talking, and apparently she had been working up the courage to come talk to me all night. She said she normally had a wing woman, which made her more confident, but that her friend bailed on her at the last minute because they were having a sale at The Gap. Well who wouldn't, ya know? Wish I'd known about it myself. Anyway, so we got to talking about whatever, I wasn't really paying attention, but suddenly I start listening and the first thing I hear is "I want to tear you apart". Woh. Well I was confused, to say the least. I guess she's into the whole "alpha woman" movement, she doesn't white knight it, she just says what she thinks and that's that. Now normally I would kiss her with the fury of a thousand gods, but I was thinking maybe I should go easy here? Maybe let her take the lead and be assertive and make the decisions? I don't want her to think I can't make up my mind for myself, or make sound decisions, that's why I'm posting this here for you anonymous internet people to advise me in what exactly I should do. My fate is in your hands.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1085 on: June 10, 2013, 08:22:17 AM »

Ummmmm....

Ok, you're at a dance, and a woman says "I wanna tear you apart".....are you sure you werent in a remake of this movie???

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #1086 on: June 10, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

Run away!!!!  There is no sale going on at the Gap, so clearly she is not to be trusted.  Cool

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1087 on: June 10, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »

So every weekend the local volunteer fire department has a club type thing, where they'll get a local DJ to come in and rock it. Yo. Anyway, so there is some fly honeys there sometimes so I go when I can to scope out the ladies and see who I can. Well this past Saturday I was all up in the club proceeding to get jiggily with it, and this hot mama comes up to me and says something. Well they're playing Everybody Dance Now by C&C, so I can't hear what she's saying. So we go outside and start talking, and apparently she had been working up the courage to come talk to me all night. She said she normally had a wing woman, which made her more confident, but that her friend bailed on her at the last minute because they were having a sale at The Gap. Well who wouldn't, ya know? Wish I'd known about it myself. Anyway, so we got to talking about whatever, I wasn't really paying attention, but suddenly I start listening and the first thing I hear is "I want to tear you apart". Woh. Well I was confused, to say the least. I guess she's into the whole "alpha woman" movement, she doesn't white knight it, she just says what she thinks and that's that. Now normally I would kiss her with the fury of a thousand gods, but I was thinking maybe I should go easy here? Maybe let her take the lead and be assertive and make the decisions? I don't want her to think I can't make up my mind for myself, or make sound decisions, that's why I'm posting this here for you anonymous internet people to advise me in what exactly I should do. My fate is in your hands.

LOL!

He's ba'aaaack. Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1088 on: June 10, 2013, 11:47:38 AM »

Ummmmm....

Ok, you're at a dance, and a woman says "I wanna tear you apart".....are you sure you werent in a remake of this movie???

PP

She stole that line from a movie? I feel so manipulated! This girl I met wasn't even as good looking as the woman in that video... Sad
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1089 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »

Run away!!!!  There is no sale going on at the Gap, so clearly she is not to be trusted.  Cool

More manipulation of me. I'm sick of being the nice guy who gets jerked around.  Undecided
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #1090 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »

More manipulation of me. I'm sick of being the nice guy who gets jerked around.  Undecided

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1091 on: June 10, 2013, 04:56:45 PM »

So I'm pretty sure I have a date Friday. This girl agreed to get some Chinese food for lunch and catch a matinee.

What do I do next?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1092 on: June 10, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »

Could a relationship work with a 17 year old male and 22 year old female? I met a new woman at my parish with a British accent that has me going wild, and I want to ask her out next week, but idk if it would work because of the age gap.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #1093 on: June 10, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »

Age/2+7 no matter how old you look. Although you are over the age of consent in Britain, so maybe that could give you leverage?

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1094 on: June 10, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »

Could a relationship work with a 17 year old male and 22 year old female? I met a new woman at my parish with a British accent that has me going wild, and I want to ask her out next week, but idk if it would work because of the age gap.

Yes/no.  Whether it is yes or no will depend on roughly ten thousand other factors that have nothing to do with her accent.

First of all - if she is the sort that will date younger guys.  Many won't.  That will put a dead stop to things.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1095 on: June 10, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »

Yes/no.  Whether it is yes or no will depend on roughly ten thousand other factors that have nothing to do with her accent.

First of all - if she is the sort that will date younger guys.  Many won't.  That will put a dead stop to things.

He's likely half her height, much more important.

Half stop.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #1096 on: June 10, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »

Well, she is taller than me (not surprising), but only by like two inches. She lives in the same town as me only five minutes away, which, is rather surprising since most people at my parish live 45-60 minutes away.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1097 on: June 10, 2013, 06:17:18 PM »

go for it dude

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1098 on: June 10, 2013, 06:18:41 PM »

Don't listen to Achronos. Don't do it.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #1099 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:06 PM »

17 and 22 isn't too bad, if you're 17 and out of/just about to be out of high school. If this isn't the case, well....not many 22yr old ladies want a high schooler no matter how old you look or mature you act.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:28:38 PM by rebecca.ann » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1100 on: June 10, 2013, 06:28:11 PM »

um why

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1101 on: June 10, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »

um why

The chance of success is very close to nil.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1102 on: June 10, 2013, 06:40:58 PM »

um why

it is?

he still has a chance.

james ask her out on a date and enjoy yourself.

sheesh

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1103 on: June 10, 2013, 06:42:28 PM »

Invite her out for an akathist. If it goes well, invite her to coffee afterwards. If it doesn't go well, tell her that you much respect her piety and drop the pursuit.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #1104 on: June 10, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »

um why

it is?

he still has a chance.

sheesh

Thanks. I'm going to go for it. I'll be graduated by mid December anyway. Any tips on dealing with an older woman?

EDIT: Also, if this ends in complete disaster--which it most likely will--what should I do? I'm not used to rejection.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 06:50:14 PM by JamesR » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1105 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:07 PM »

i really dont see the age gap tbh.

it aint like you are dating a 40 yo here.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1106 on: June 10, 2013, 07:00:47 PM »

um why

it is?

he still has a chance.

sheesh

Thanks. I'm going to go for it. I'll be graduated by mid December anyway. Any tips on dealing with an older woman?

EDIT: Also, if this ends in complete disaster--which it most likely will--what should I do? I'm not used to rejection.

If manage to get to point where you can honestly claim it was a complete disaster, drinks are on me.

RehamG
Elder

« Reply #1107 on: June 10, 2013, 07:25:55 PM »

um why

it is?

he still has a chance.

sheesh

Are you a good conversationalist? Or are you overly shy? A woman is a woman either way, so dealing with women in general is what you need to know about. Here is a legit tip; have confidence! Stop thinking it will most likely fail before you even ask her because most women I know, self included, confidence in a guy.

If she says no, keep it moving and don't take it personal. It happens, it sucks, it is life sometimes but if you don't ask you will never know.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:26:33 PM by rebecca.ann » Logged

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1108 on: June 10, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »

can we petition jamesr on "the bachelor"?

maybe they got "the bachelor" in serbia we could send him to.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1109 on: June 11, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »

17 and 22 isn't too bad, if you're 17 and out of/just about to be out of high school. If this isn't the case, well....not many 22yr old ladies want a high schooler no matter how old you look or mature you act.

I think if you would add a couple of years on both sides of this equation, I would argue the point that you are making based on personal experience with multiple older women. Based on JamesR Avatar, I doubt this problem will occur. He needs longer hair, a sportcoat, a bowtie, familiarity with French and French cuisine,  and the dreaded pleated slacks that Schultz hates so much. Factual, but not really serious.
Jonathan Gress
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #1110 on: June 11, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »

(22/2)+7 = 18

17 < 18

QED
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #1111 on: June 11, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »

(22/2)+7 = 18

17 < 18

QED

Ah, math....my signal to leave. laugh

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1112 on: June 11, 2013, 12:29:21 PM »

I think if you would add a couple of years on both sides of this equation, I would argue the point that you are making based on personal experience with multiple older women. Based on JamesR Avatar, I doubt this problem will occur. He needs longer hair, a sportcoat, a bowtie, familiarity with French and French cuisine,  and the dreaded pleated slacks that Schultz hates so much. Factual, but not really serious.

You minx!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1113 on: June 11, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »

Pleated slacks make your hips look fact.

Flat front or nuthin

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1114 on: June 13, 2013, 03:30:24 PM »

I had a strange facebook conversation with a family member and need some advice. My cousin has been married to this girl, Sarah, for about 4 years now. My cousin and I used to be almost like best friends, but somewhere in our 20s we drifted apart, mostly due to living too far away from each other. Anyway, so I see him a few times a year, we talk about what's been going on in our lives, that kinda stuff. So Sarah just messages me out of the blue on facebook (she's not a friend on there), and she says my cousin Blake doesn't treat her good, and that she is miserable, but she doesn't know what to do because she lost her job a couple months ago and has nowhere to go. So I didn't know what to say, cause that's kinda rough. I tried to figure out what options she had, like could she go live with her folks for a couple months, or some friends, or what?

Well finally she starts hinting that she would give whatever money she could to whoever would help her, that she'd help with housework, and so forth, and she started hinting that maybe she could move in with me. I didn't know what to say to that, so I just said that that sounded like it'd be awkward. Then she starts saying that she's been following me on facebook for months and she thinks we'd really connect and I should just give her a chance. At that point I was very confused, and I just said that she was like family with her being married to Blake and all, and it seemed weird, and she replied that we weren't really family, and that she was going to divorce Blake and then we could be together without any worries.

I told her that I didn't think that'd work, and tried to come up with all sorts of excuses, like how we had different interests, and how I'm 13 years younger than her, etc. Well that was a mistake, because she started getting mad and saying that she caught me several times looking at her at the family BBQ last summer, and how she knew she was my type from what Blake said about me, and on and on she went. I tried to calm her down, but she kept saying something like "well am I hot or not? well? well? well?"  So finally I admitted that, yes, I thought she was very attractive. But I said that wasn't really what was important here. After that she started to berate me, saying that my head was shaped like a block, that I looked like a balding dufus, and stuff like that. I mean, that may all be true, but she didn't have to be so mean about it.

Anyway, so finally she said something like "omg hes back i need 2 go but i luv you could you let me move in wit you? ttyl" and then she signed out. What do I do guys? A part of me says to tell Blake what is going on, because he deserves to know what she's up to, but then I'm afraid if I tell him he either won't believe me or will pick a fight with me. He is nicknamed Buff Blake after all. On the other hand, I am single... so...    but no, I can't do that... can I? I mean maybe I could let her sleep in the bedroom while I crash on the couch or something? Someone give me some advices I can use!
TheTrisagion
Taxiarches

« Reply #1115 on: June 13, 2013, 03:37:38 PM »

say whaaaaat??  Huh

Use it.  They are there for a reason.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1116 on: June 13, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »

say whaaaaat??  Huh

I keep getting into these situations because orthonorm won't help me. I've posted at least 10 problems I've had over the last few years in this thread, but not one word from him! Not one!
RehamG
Elder

« Reply #1117 on: June 13, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »

Let me shake your hand, congrats, you now have a stalker.  laugh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1118 on: June 13, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »

Let me shake your hand, congrats, you now have a stalker.  laugh

What??  Orthonorm is stalking Asteriktos  Shocked Shocked Shocked??  Lord have mercy!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 04:08:52 PM by J Michael » Logged

RehamG
Elder

« Reply #1119 on: June 13, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

What??  Orthonorm is stalking Asteriktos  Shocked Shocked Shocked??  Lord have mercy!!

I was talking about the lovely Sarah, wife of Buff Blake Grin

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1120 on: June 13, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »

Make up artists can come up with some wicked disguises, ya know  Grin.

RehamG
Elder

« Reply #1121 on: June 13, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »

Make up artists can come up with some wicked disguises, ya know  Grin.
Shocked

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1122 on: June 16, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »

Some women look good with a shaved head. I've not met one yet, but I'm sure of it. Pics or it didn't happen?
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1123 on: June 16, 2013, 12:41:39 PM »

Some women look good with a shaved head. I've not met one yet, but I'm sure of it. Pics or it didn't happen?

Natalie Portman does, but she looks even better with hair.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1124 on: June 16, 2013, 12:46:58 PM »

Turn-offs in girls:
- No eyebrows. Overly-plucked eyebrows. Painted-on eyebrows.
- Overly-long fingernails.
- Earrings larger than half dollar.
- Redheads who change their hair to a different color.
- Girls who need glasses to see but refuse to wear them. Contacts usage allowed in special circumstances.
- Mustache and nose hairs.
- Too much makeup.
- Girls who wear socks indoors.
- Girls who shower alone. (Many people die in bathroom accidents. It's dangerous. Let me help.)

We may now proceed according to the plan...
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: