Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 14550 times)

Offline Porter ODoran

• "In this lies piety: not doubting the God-bearing fathers."
  • Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
Re: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?
« Reply #585 on: Yesterday at 01:35:06 PM »
(Assuming it's really his name)

AFAIK it's only the name of his patron saint.

I'm not going to say my post has any bearing on the actual situation. It was just a response to your argument.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
« Reply #586 on: Yesterday at 01:49:22 PM »
Peter O'Doran in that goofy beard trying to be a hipster or something.  ;)
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #587 on: Yesterday at 01:50:41 PM »
Don't. Call. Me. Peter.
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #588 on: Yesterday at 01:51:11 PM »
(Assuming it's really his name) he just doesn't like the sound of it. I know when I was very young I hated to hear a certain diminutive of my name. It was just how it sounded -- that's part of life.

A name is an important part of ourselves, and we invest a good deal more perception and emotion into it than some may realize.
Good observation. One of my instructors is named Peter, but we all call him Pete because that's how he prefers to be addressed. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with the diminutive Pete for Peter. I just think using the diminutive for the name of my patron saint disrespectful to St. Peter the Aleut. Maybe it isn't, but my perception that it is is enough for me to hate being called Pete.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:51:43 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline wainscottbl

• Archon
« Reply #589 on: Yesterday at 01:55:01 PM »
Don't. Call. Me. Peter.

If your body is Europe, I think St. Peter's is about somewhere betwixt...well, you know. And even if you are Porter you are porter to His Holiness, the Successor of St. Peter's chambers. Either way, you are Peter Porter Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers. I could us even more Shakespearean innuendo with that one, but I'll let you solve the enigma.
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #590 on: Yesterday at 01:58:36 PM »
Don't. Call. Me. Peter.

If your body is Europe, I think St. Peter's is about somewhere betwixt...well, you know. And even if you are Porter you are porter to His Holiness, the Successor of St. Peter's chambers. Either way, you are Peter Porter Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers. I could us even more Shakespearean innuendo with that one, but I'll let you solve the enigma.
A porter is a very good beer. In fact, Porter has probably had a Black Butte porter some time in his life.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #591 on: Yesterday at 02:07:22 PM »
In fact, Porter has probably had a Black Butte porter some time in his life.

Well, yes. You know where I live. There's lots of that stuff around and it's good stuff. Sometimes I still just prefer a Guinness tho. Now, my wife is a real hophead -- the stronger the IPA, the better. There is no peace in the Doran household some evenings depending who shopped for the beer. ;)

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
« Reply #592 on: Yesterday at 02:09:43 PM »
Sometimes I still just prefer a Guinness tho.

I'm very disappointed in you. Guinness is revolting. I'd rather go through the hell of having to drink a Heineken than even so much as look at a glass of Guinness.

Drinking port after dinner, on the other hand, is no sin.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:11:21 PM by Cyrillic »
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me"
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline wainscottbl

• Archon
« Reply #593 on: Yesterday at 02:11:08 PM »
In fact, Porter has probably had a Black Butte porter some time in his life.

Well, yes. You know where I live. There's lots of that stuff around and it's good stuff. Sometimes I still just prefer a Guinness tho. Now, my wife is a real hophead -- the stronger the IPA, the better. There is no peace in the Doran household some evenings depending who shopped for the beer. ;)

Beer is for peasants. We drinketh wine, thou commoner. We drinketh not beer, lest We be like thee, who picketh the wheat and makest beer out it.

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #594 on: Yesterday at 02:11:26 PM »
My biggest pet peeve: People calling me "Pete". >:(

LOL. I've never understood the hissy fit you throw every time someone calls you Pete. Pete is merely a diminutive of Peter, which in itself is a diminutive of Petrus. Peter already is a diminutive.

Are you sure Peter is a diminutive of Petrus? I assume you mean a diminutive derived by truncation or a similar process, like "Rach" for "Rachel" or "Lar" for "Larry" for "Lawrence". It is quite possible that Peter descends from Petrus by other historical processes: the entry on etymonline suggests that it may simply be based on the Old English oblique (genitive or dative) stem.

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
« Reply #595 on: Yesterday at 02:12:47 PM »

Beer is for peasants.

Wine is for whiny girls and pretentious middle-class moms.

Cognac and good whiskey on the other hand is the province of the country gentleman.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:14:03 PM by Cyrillic »
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #596 on: Yesterday at 02:13:33 PM »
Ironic you say that, since wine basically makes itself, while it took sophisticated observation and experimentation for early man (probably the Egyptian civilization) to make beer.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #597 on: Yesterday at 02:14:05 PM »

Beer is for peasants.

Wine is for pretentious middle-class moms.

Cognac and good whiskey on the other hand is the province of the country gentleman.

Old son, what a pity you're overseas and I cannot introduce you to bourbon.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #598 on: Yesterday at 02:16:04 PM »

I'm very disappointed in you. Guinness is revolting. I'd rather go through the hell of having to drink a Heineken than even so much as look at a glass of Guinness.

Yeah I also wear work clothes and boots and live in a beaten up old house. The days of youthful aspiration to extravagance are behind me.

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #599 on: Yesterday at 02:18:02 PM »

Have you tried craft brew versions of Irish dry stout? It could be you don't like the style of beer or don't like the particular version made by Guinness.

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
« Reply #600 on: Yesterday at 02:53:33 PM »

Yeah I also wear work clothes and boots and live in a beaten up old house. The days of youthful aspiration to extravagance are behind me.

There's nothing wrong with regular beer. Pilseners like Hertog Jan or Grolsch can be very nice. There's no excuse for Guinness, though.
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #601 on: Yesterday at 02:56:50 PM »
A pilsner is a kind of beer. A stout is another. An ale is another. They're all "regular beer" with ancient provenances. So you like pilsner.

Offline Cyrillic

• Merarches
« Reply #602 on: Yesterday at 02:59:48 PM »
A pilsner is a kind of beer. A stout is another. An ale is another. They're all "regular beer" with ancient provenances. So you like pilsner.

Pilsener pretty much is "regular beer", isn't it? Everything else is a speciaalbier, which is divided into several subcategories, like tripels, stouts, pale ales, etc.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:01:03 PM by Cyrillic »
-Benjamin Disraeli

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #603 on: Yesterday at 03:06:34 PM »
Obviously I can't speak to the way the Netherlands categorizes things. Ale is ancient across the channel.

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #604 on: Yesterday at 03:09:16 PM »

Pilsener pretty much is "regular beer", isn't it? Everything else is a speciaalbier, which is divided into several subcategories, like tripels, stouts, pale ales, etc.

Oh no no no. Well, I think in modern continental Europe pilsner is the standard, mass-market style, and in the US, too (to an extent). But pilsner wasn't developed till the 19th century. Those other styles you mention predate pilsner by quite a lot. Mainly it's because pilsner and other lagers require controlled cool temperatures for fermentation that were unavailable prior to industrialization. For example, I ferment my ales in a room temperature closet, but I need a fridge with an external thermostat for my lagers and other cool-fermented beers like Kolsch.

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #605 on: Yesterday at 03:10:40 PM »

^That is my pet peeve.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #606 on: Yesterday at 03:13:57 PM »

Oh no no no. Well, I think in modern continental Europe pilsner is the standard, mass-market style, and in the US, too (to an extent). But pilsner wasn't developed till the 19th century. Those other styles you mention predate pilsner by quite a lot. Mainly it's because pilsner and other lagers require controlled cool temperatures for fermentation that were unavailable prior to industrialization. For example, I ferment my ales in a room temperature closet, but I need a fridge with an external thermostat for my lagers and other cool-fermented beers like Kolsch.

Good man.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
« Reply #607 on: Yesterday at 03:14:26 PM »

^That is my pet peeve.

Good gosh. It's true. The prophecies have been fulfilled.

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
« Reply #608 on: Yesterday at 03:48:25 PM »
It's not so bad, really. Petes even have their own show:

"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
« Reply #609 on: Yesterday at 03:51:04 PM »
^That is my pet peeve.

Can't you do something about it as a mod/old-timer? I've mentioned it a couple times in those long Catholic threads where they quote the previous 20 responses so they can give proper context to their "Nuh uh! Orthodox/Catholics stink!" response... but alas, the avalanches continue...
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline wainscottbl

• Archon
« Reply #610 on: Yesterday at 05:53:59 PM »
It's not so bad, really. Petes even have their own show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktc-k-q9hvI

Ah, the 90s!

Online Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #611 on: Yesterday at 07:26:32 PM »
^That is my pet peeve.

Can't you do something about it as a mod/old-timer? I've mentioned it a couple times in those long Catholic threads where they quote the previous 20 responses so they can give proper context to their "Nuh uh! Orthodox/Catholics stink!" response... but alas, the avalanches continue...

No one's down with brown, Justin.  :'(

Just kidding.
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Offline wainscottbl

• Archon
« Reply #612 on: Yesterday at 11:01:19 PM »
TV shows having these broken up seasons where they show a few episodes and then you have to wait months. They showed like three episodes of The Good Wife back around December/January, and then stopped. It comes back next month. Personally, I think The Good Wife will end this season. She's going to become attorney general or whatever. When Will died, it had to be over.