Author Topic: Lifehacks to wake up  (Read 360 times)

Offline benjohn146

• Elder
    • Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, Belleville, Ontario, Canada
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Metropolis of Toronto
Lifehacks to wake up
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
Good day to all,

Does anybody got some tips and trick to wake up and not fall asleep or getting tempted to go back into bed? Something to shock your body and start your day (with morning prayers, of course ;) ) right away?

Thanks!
St Makarios, pray for us.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
Re: Lifehacks to wake up
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:22:10 PM »
I don't have much, but I use my phone as an alarm clock, and when I definitely need to get up and not stall, I put my phone on the other side of the room so that I have to physically get up and out of bed to turn it off. On rare occasions when I'm only going to get 2-3 hours of sleep and am worried I'll go back to bed without realising it, I'll set a 2nd alarm clock for 2 minutes later, in a different location and requiring me to go even further to turn it off.
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:23:25 PM »
Put your alarm at the other end of the room, so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. In the winter, the cold of leaving the bed alone can be enough to wake up the brain to 'mustn't lie back down' levels. In long days season, consider leaving your curtains (and shutters of course, if you have them) open overnight, so you wake gradually with the rising daylight.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 10:33:24 PM »
A cold shower and a really strong cup of coffee should help as soon as you accept your fate of coming out of bed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 11:02:11 PM by RaphaCam »
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:58:52 PM »
go to bed hungry, and promise yourself a top notch breakfast in the morning.  I have an odd sleep schedule due to work, another thing that helps is to let yourself sleep around nine hours or prepare your body and mind for a light five hour or less sleep.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:59:06 AM »
Try waking up earlier. I think mornings get a bad rap because everyone is always in a rush in the morning.
The other day I woke up early because I was thinking about going into work early, but then I decided to just relax and go in at the normal time. Instead I made a nice breakfast (scrambled eggs = 5 min.), two cups of coffee, etc. I'm sure that that is how mornings are supposed to be done now.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:06:46 AM by mcarmichael »
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"
- The very memorable words of Samuel Veller

"Mouth make trouble, mouth make no trouble." - Sun Tzu

Quote from: Mor Ephrem
You can presume to speak for Mor.

"I need a passport."

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:15:57 AM »
Try waking up earlier. I think mornings get a bad rap because everyone is always in a rush in the morning.
The other day I woke up early because I was thinking about going into work early, but then I decided to just relax and go in at the normal time. Instead I made a nice breakfast (scrambled eggs = 5 min.), two cups of coffee, etc. I'm sure that that is how mornings are supposed to be done now.
I can totally relate to that (although I'm too self-indulgent to make this part of my routine).
"Now therefore, when thou didst pray, and Sara thy daughter in law, I did bring the remembrance of your prayers before the Holy One: and when thou didst bury the dead, I was with thee likewise." (Righteous Tobit 12:12)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: God
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 02:20:12 AM »
My stepfather used to throw a cup of water onto me when I couldn't wake up when I was in Jr. High. Whoever you're living with, they'd probably be willing to help out with this one  :P
"It is not as a child that I believe and confess Jesus Christ. My hosanna is born of a furnace of doubt." - Dostoevsky

Offline mikeforjesus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »
I got this product about 1 week or 2 weeks ago

https://buy.pavlok.com/products/shocking-alarm-clock

I think it works because it gives a very annoying shock but I haven't used it yet to wake up I only felt the shock because I never needed to wake up on my own yet but my family wakes me up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:36:19 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 03:16:29 PM »
Pray to your guardian angel for help waking up so that you are ready for prayer in the morning. There used to be a cardinal that would sing every day outside my window in the early morning - I think my angel told it to do that since I'm not a morning person,
I prefer being gently akakened- try putting a bright lamp on a timer or how about a CD of Church music or prayers as an alarm to wake you up?

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 06:44:18 PM »
A shot of rotgut whiskey.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
I can totally relate to that (although I'm too self-indulgent to make this part of my routine).
Psssh.
"Now, don't allow yourself to be fatigued beyond your powers; there's a amiable bein'.
Consider what you owe to society, and don't let yourself be injured by too much work.
For the sake o' your feller-creeturs, keep yourself as quiet as you can; only think what a loss you would be!"

"I need a passport."

Offline Svartzorn

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek A.Diocese of B. Aires & S. America
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 10:50:05 PM »
Wake up and play a game for like 15 mins.
Death to the world dodos.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
Wake up and play a game for like 15 mins.
yeah. or do two hits of pot.

I have a habit of doing two hits of pot on bad mornings. I'm not sure whether is Gggrrrrrrrreat!
Otherwise it's hot coffee that wakes me up. I have a coffee-maker that you can set to go off at a certain time, and I do try to use it. It actually also grinds the coffee, too. It's a double. The sound of the coffee grinding provides a double stimulus. If I weren't a marijuana addict, that might do it for me anyway.

"I need a passport."

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
I have found that, in part, the trick is not to wake up from deep sleep. When I do, I usually feel horrible, even to the point of getting headaches.

Not too long ago I read some stuff on sleep research which basically said that we go through these cycles of shallow and deep sleep. The cycles typically run for about 90 mins which I have found to be fairly accurate. Having lived under some sleep deprived conditions, I can tell you that for me it has proved fairly accurate and it has helped me.

Now days if i want a nap, I sleep for 90 minutes. Weeknights, I try for 6 hrs (4 x 90) and weekends an extra cycle, so 7.5hrs (5 x 90).

There are also apps for your mobile that you can use to wake up when you are in shallow sleep. They work by detecting motion. You keep them near you in bed ( you can turn off radios if you worried about that ) and when they detect you moving about, because you are in shallow sleep, they will ring the wakeup alarm.

Offline mcarmichael

• Novice
  • OC.net guru
  • Actual jerk
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
Another thing you might want to try, is if you can set your alarm to play some nice Classical music, like Beethoven or something.

My HAMS plan (Harm-Reduction, Abstinence, and Moderation support for Alcohol) is as simple as this: "Try to get to bed at a reasonable hour."

I think my next step is I will try to take this one step further, by putting my things together for the next day, or for whenever. I have this really fantastic job as a dishwasher at Squire's Golf Club in Horsham, PA, and I think one of the reasons I'm so good at it (which has me really thinking about why I'm not generally good at life, and it's a nice thing to have time to think about things like that), anyway one of the reasons why I feel like I'm so good at my job is because I'm always planning ahead. Except I never plan ahead otherwise. I almost have a proscription against planning ahead, because too many plans have a tendency not to happen.

It works flawlessly at work, however. So my next step is to take it one step further and try to always kit myself for the next day. If everything works out, in almost no time at all I will be in peak physical condition.

"I need a passport."