Author Topic: Old Rite church in Virginia  (Read 2854 times)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
Re: Old Rite church in Virginia
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05:20 AM »
yea....both the Alaska and the Oregon Old Believers are not canonical as we would recognize it.

I still find it stranger than strange that people would start -new- Old Ritualist parishes....but that's just me..while recognizing the 'old rite' the MP is in no way encouraging adding more to that side of things, but rather reconciliation with those who are gone, over a historical bad choice by the main church.

It doesn't mean we should all go out and 'turn back time'......

Playing Old Rite sounds awesome.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »

Well, I emailed Bishop Saba.  Hopefully, he is the type of Bishop that answers (or maybe a secretary at least) his email.  He's the one who should be able clear this up. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:37:14 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2017, 11:40:22 AM »
I sent him a message too a few months back. Haven't heard anything. I imagine he has a lot of other stuff to worry about.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
I sent him a message too a few months back. Haven't heard anything. I imagine he has a lot of other stuff to worry about.

Like dealing with Georgians.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 10:57:58 AM »
The signing of a Concordat between the African Orthodox Church of Africa and the Anglican Church of Virginia took place at the Altar of Bethlehem Chapel. Discussions had been underway for some time and upon the visitation of the Rt. Rev. James Peter Bramhan, Bishop of Washington, D.C. a concordat providing for full communion between these two orthodox and traditional provinces was sealed. A snow storm raged but a determined Bishop Bramhan arrived on schedule. Following the signing the two bishops jointly celebrated Holy Communion Bishop Bramham is a former Roman Catholic priest and retired Army man. He converted to orthodoxy and last year was consecrated a bishop. Bishop Johnson was honored to have this visitor at Evensong for this historic event.

http://www.theanglicanchurch.net/News.html

Had to share this from the above site:

Archbishop +Catholicos Scholarios-Gennadius III, OSB, Protosyncellus of the Ecumenical Canonical Orthodox Church Worldwide  visits Evensong  on The Epiphany of Our Lord, January 6, 2010. He was accompanied by his wife, Episcopa Lestine. Bishops +Scholararis and +Johnson discussed ways their jurisdictions may draw closer. An "Agreement of Friendship and Communion" was signed. Full  communion of the two bodies will be achieved in the near future it is hoped.

Ya can't make up schlock as "good" as this.  :o

I was Googling some things, and I ran across this. They refer to themselves as the "Ecumenical Canonical Orthodox Church," but I don't know, they don't look like any church with which I'm familiar-- forgive me if I'm wrong on that. It looks like they created a hodgepodge of rites. They seem to accept every liturgy from the Western and Eastern churches. They also have a Facebook profile.

They remind me a lot of the list of nontraditional groups that try to make themselves sound okay by using the word 'Orthodox.' Goodness.   :)
They seem to be with the Old Catholic Church?

They aren't with the OCC - they're classic vagante. They have more bishops than one can shake an episcopal staff at. They embrace everyone, but are with no one - note that they endorse a Vatican statement, include photos of the EP, and at least one other patriarch (suggesting a connection with them, when there isn't any). The only thing missing is a list of their multiple lines of succession.

Many years,

Neil
If they are not with the OCC, then why are they consecrating their bishops in the OCC buildings?
"The Œcumenical Canonical Orthodox Church Worldwide consecrated †Jose Guadalupe to the episcopacy on August 7, 2010 to be its first bishop installed in the new Diocese of Corona, California.

The primary consecrator was Protohierarch †Jorge Rodriguez-Villa, assisted by Protosyncellus †Scholarios-Gennadius III. The consecration took place at Saint Jude Thaddeus Old Catholic Church in Huntington Beach, California with many clergy, religious and lay faithful in attendance."
http://www.your-story.org/oecocw-consecrates-jose-guadalupe-as-the-first-bishop-for-its-new-diocese-of-corona-california-209355/

They've been doing it for a bit. 

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 01:46:59 AM »
From the FB page, posted July 5:

Beginning May 6th, the Church of the Holy Theotokos has been reverted to the Deanery Episcopate Chancery and Chapel use. The congregation has been moved to a larger church facility, "Saints Joachim and Anna" Orthodox Church located at 6024 Main Street, Mount Jackson, VA. The parish priest is Archpriest Father Kyrill. He will be establishing both a website and Facebook accounts for Sts. Joachim and Anna Church. Holy Theotokos Church will now concentrate on activities within the deanery and Father Zacharriah will be travelling around the deanery visiting his churches. We thank everyone for their visits and support