OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bible for Public Release, Changes Jesus 'Son of Man' to ‘the Human One’  (Read 2572 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »

Gross

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

Currently on hiatus from posting

Partisangirl
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »

Gross
I agree.

In solidarity with the "Nasara" (I.e. Christians) of Iraq & Syria

Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Please note that some of my older posts -especially those pre-dating late 2012- may not necessarily reflect my current views.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »

This thread makes no sense.

As always, it's easy to criticize something you've not read.

Tasting is Believing
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »

Examples always are the best way to prove a point.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »

Well, the best example is that this is the only Bible which my fiancé cares to read and learn from, and this comes after trying many other formal and functional equivalent translations.  As we use this Bible in our shared studies, I've not run across anything that can be strictly defined as heretical even considering that it does not necessarily attempt to be an academically sound translation.  With my background in Hebrew and NT Greek, I can honestly say that it preserves the "taste" of the Greek-Hebrew idiom in its appropriate balance between word-for-word and sense-for-sense approach in as close of an English idiom as possible. If any person is "scandalized" by non-issues such as what one Bible says about The "Human One," that's their problem, honestly.  My suggestion is to read a book, any book, on contemporary biblical scholarship and realize that this translation is mild considering the alternatives.

Tasting is Believing
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »

"Child of Humanity" actually conveys the concept well and provides a helpful alternative to understanding the language used, but the fact remains that "Son of Man" is a Messianic/Christological title and will always be the standard. Other translations of it that are gender neutered can help fill out the idea expressed in a fuller way, but "the Human One" is just abysmal.
+1

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Bigsinner
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »

Well, the best example is that this is the only Bible which my fiancé cares to read and learn from, and this comes after trying many other formal and functional equivalent translations.  As we use this Bible in our shared studies, I've not run across anything that can be strictly defined as heretical even considering that it does not necessarily attempt to be an academically sound translation.  With my background in Hebrew and NT Greek, I can honestly say that it preserves the "taste" of the Greek-Hebrew idiom in its appropriate balance between word-for-word and sense-for-sense approach in as close of an English idiom as possible. If any person is "scandalized" by non-issues such as what one Bible says about The "Human One," that's their problem, honestly.  My suggestion is to read a book, any book, on contemporary biblical scholarship and realize that this translation is mild considering the alternatives.

While I'm sure your fiance is swell, howsoever much her preferences may prove to be dispositive of what's right for you, they do not necessarily compel those to whom she is not betrothed to follow suit.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »

While I'm sure your fiance is swell, howsoever much her preferences may prove to be dispositive of what's right for you, they do not necessarily compel those to whom she is not betrothed to follow suit.

Obviously you missed the larger scope of what I said above, which has less to do with whom is utilizing the text than with the fact that the text is highly utilitarian in addition to being passing many standards of academic rigor.

Tasting is Believing
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: