OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:25:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bible for Public Release, Changes Jesus 'Son of Man' to ‘the Human One’  (Read 2580 times) Average Rating: 0
Red A.

« on: July 23, 2011, 12:14:18 AM »

The new edition of the Common English Bible (CEB) will be released in print and made available to the public for the first time on August 1, publicist Audra Jennings has told The Christian Post.

The publisher of the new version is hoping it will make the Bible understandable and attractive to as many people as possible. To that end, the new edition of the CEB has made several “bold” translation choices, including changing Jesus' “Son of Man” title to “the Human One.”

With the complete edition of the Common English Bible arriving from the printers this week and rolling into stores starting next month, associate publisher Paul Franklyn said the goal of translators was to make the Bible accessible and more appealing to readers of various backgrounds and denominations.

“There are a number of translations available for conservative churches,” Franklyn told The Tennessean. “This is trying to make a bridge between conservatives, moderates and liberals.”

http://www.christianpost.com/news/new-bible-to-go-on-public-release-changes-jesus-son-of-man-to-the-human-one-52232/

Speechless............
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:38:39 AM »

This just re-confirms why I am not Protestant anymore..  police Smiley

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »

Maybe (hopefully) it'll make some readers realise that they need to drink from deeper wells...
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 01:31:23 AM »

Amen.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 01:45:05 AM »

What a crock.

In May, Fuller Theological Seminary voted to add the Common English Bible to the NRSV and the TNIV as translations that could be required for students doing biblical studies. "We wanted something that was an academically excellent translation from Greek and Hebrew, and one that reflected our strong position regarding women in leadership," Dr. Joel B. Green, professor of New Testament Interpretation, told The Christian Post.

Yup. Remaking God and scripture in their own image. 'Nuff said.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:46:48 AM by LBK » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:16:44 AM »

"Child of Humanity" actually conveys the concept well and provides a helpful alternative to understanding the language used, but the fact remains that "Son of Man" is a Messianic/Christological title and will always be the standard. Other translations of it that are gender neutered can help fill out the idea expressed in a fuller way, but "the Human One" is just abysmal.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 02:20:22 AM »

Next they should just replace Jesus with "Homeboy".  Why not at this point. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 02:35:05 AM »

Did you just step out of 1987?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »

“This is trying to make a bridge between conservatives, moderates and liberals.”

There ain't just two. So there ain't no bridge. And it is among!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:24:48 AM »

The new edition of the Common English Bible (CEB) will be released in print and made available to the public for the first time on August 1, publicist Audra Jennings has told The Christian Post.

The publisher of the new version is hoping it will make the Bible understandable and attractive to as many people as possible. To that end, the new edition of the CEB has made several “bold” translation choices, including changing Jesus' “Son of Man” title to “the Human One.”

With the complete edition of the Common English Bible arriving from the printers this week and rolling into stores starting next month, associate publisher Paul Franklyn said the goal of translators was to make the Bible accessible and more appealing to readers of various backgrounds and denominations.

“There are a number of translations available for conservative churches,” Franklyn told The Tennessean. “This is trying to make a bridge between conservatives, moderates and liberals.”
Talk about a bridge to nowhere.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 03:39:47 AM »

You betcha!

What a crock.

In May, Fuller Theological Seminary voted to add the Common English Bible to the NRSV and the TNIV as translations that could be required for students doing biblical studies. "We wanted something that was an academically excellent translation from Greek and Hebrew, and one that reflected our strong position regarding women in leadership," Dr. Joel B. Green, professor of New Testament Interpretation, told The Christian Post.

Yup. Remaking God and scripture in their own image. 'Nuff said.
Oh goody. A recommendation from the institution that helped bring us the "demons are the direct cause of all your problems, see a Protestant counselor-exorcist every time you sneeze" movement...
David 2007

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 05:12:11 AM »

"the human one" Huh?

What does that even mean??? weird.
Stephen St. Pierre

Faith: Inquirer to Eastern Orthodoxy

This user has been banned.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 05:48:17 AM »

Speechless............

Dr. Joel B. Green

'Nuff said.

Saying that Jesus is God is against the Noahide laws. It's idolatry don't ya know?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Silly rabbis!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 05:50:21 AM by Stephen St. Pierre » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:34 AM »

Because of his name you assume he must be a Judaist? O.o
Stephen St. Pierre

Faith: Inquirer to Eastern Orthodoxy

This user has been banned.

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »

Because of his name you assume he must be a Judaist? O.o

No, just that he's toeing their line. I suppose it could just be a coincidence. Personally I think people should stop with the translations already!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »

"More Human than Human"- the Tyrell Corporation, 1982

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 09:56:47 AM »

ROFL!  Cheesy

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 09:59:41 AM »

“This is trying to make a bridge between conservatives, moderates and liberals.”

There ain't just two. So there ain't no bridge. And it is among!

In NYC there is a bridge they used to call the Triborough (I think they renamed it the RFK Bridge)...connected Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn IIRC..... Wink
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »

ROFL!  Cheesy

Would it make you feel weird to know that I was only 4 years old in 87?  And I was living in Communism?  lol. 

Old fads die hard. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »

I don't think I can take this. I'm still nauseated from glancing at the Progressive Christian Portal at patheos.

Ugh.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »

Some other changes in the Common English Bible include swapping out “alien” or “foreigner,” used by some translations for passages like Leviticus 19:33-34; the Common English Bible applies the term “immigrant” instead.

Oh, how I love it when the Bible is rewritten to speak right into the heart of contemporary politics.

Merely being present in a foreign country—which is what "alien" and "foreigner" mean—does not make one an "immigrant."
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 03:21:36 AM »

Umm...do these people actually have any, what's the word, "qualifications" to be translating anything?  For instance, while "Son of Man" may be able to be translated literally as "the Human One" (though another poster suggested a better alternative that is more modern), it ignores the historical context of the phrase, which was a way of referring to oneself without saying "I" constantly.  "The Human One" serves no purpose except to confuse people who might not have previously read a Bible before.

And an alien or foreigner is NOT always an immigrant.  I know plenty of people who have gone down to Mexico, seeing as I am in a border State.  Sometimes for a few days, sometimes a few weeks.  While all of them were foreigners and aliens, none of them were immigrants.  Bogdan is completely correct.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 03:24:06 AM »

Let's not forget the most important thing-it's a Messianic title.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 04:09:55 AM »

Can the Bible cover be in Matrix coding? Should give the Bible Coders a run for their money.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »

Can the Bible cover be in Matrix coding? Should give the Bible Coders a run for their money.

sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »

Oh, how I love it when the Bible is rewritten to speak right into the heart of contemporary politics.

Our ability to deceive ourselves is neverending. It reminds me of those online recipe reviews where people recommend 'improvements' in the ingredients to the point where the original recipe is transmogrified:

"That was the best Boeuf Bourguignon I ever had! I didn't have any beef, so I used chicken. I added some frozen peas and potatoes to the onions. My husband and hates red wine and the kids hate garlic, so I made it with a cream sauce instead. Then I threw in some home-made dumplings to give it more body. We'll make it again!"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 03:27:01 PM »

That's fantastic.

A part of me wishes there was this Bible Code that predicated precisely when Christ's Second Coming is but alas no.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »

I am not the least bit surprised. I reference the reason I left Protestantism in the "orthodox Rising thread".

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 11:33:31 AM »

Homeperson, please. Let's not be gender biased.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 11:37:01 AM »

Homeperson, please. Let's not be gender biased.

Oh no, how could I have been so heartless. I should have said Homepersyn. Wait, that discriminates against the homeless or those with unhappy homes. How about domesticpersyn?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »

That discriminates against people who don't like to do housework and people who self-identify as inanimate objects. You should say, "Fellow occupier of space-time"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 12:19:15 PM »

That discriminates against people who don't like to do housework and people who self-identify as inanimate objects. You should say, "Fellow occupier of space-time"

Alas, you're right! How could I have been so culturally insensitive, especially toward those with no culture! If I flog myself with a wet noodle, would that be offensive to the gluten-intolerant?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »

Alas, you're right! How could I have been so culturally insensitive, especially toward those with no culture! If I flog myself with a wet noodle, would that be offensive to the gluten-intolerant?

How dare you to forget the Vegan! This vile "noodle" of which you speak was made by the slaughter of an innocent chicken egg!

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »

How dare you to forget the Vegan! This vile "noodle" of which you speak was made by the slaughter of an innocent chicken egg!

primuspilus
What about that poor innocent wheat, you monster!?! I personally survive by synthesizing NPR broadcasts angel.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »

What about that poor innocent wheat, you monster!?! I personally survive by synthesizing NPR broadcasts

Oh NO! How could I offend someone? I must now spend tons of money taking tolerance classes. I am ashamed.....

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 02:29:11 PM »

ROFL!!!!  This is by far one of the greatest things i've ever read on this forum.  Well played. 

Here's the theological conundrum:  We cannot use categories of space-time to refer to God, since he is totally other (stands/exists outside of space & time).  What do we do now?  lol. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Monk Cyprian

Jurisdiction: OCA

Hooray! I'm useful!

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »

"More Human than Human"- the Tyrell Corporation, 1982
LOL!  Brilliant!

Was it Divine Liturgy in English in XIXth Century Russia?  No, it was not I am the telling you!  Is OUTRAGE!  Now is to be Slavonic music and Byzantine vestment in same church. This is what when KGB run the seminary.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 05:52:26 PM »

ROFL!!!!  This is by far one of the greatest things i've ever read on this forum.  Well played.  

Here's the theological conundrum:  We cannot use categories of space-time to refer to God, since he is totally other (stands/exists outside of space & time).  What do we do now?  lol.  
No, that's discrimination against people who don't want God to be totally other. We need to embrace OVT.

And thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:11:22 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »

I don't think I can take this. I'm still nauseated from glancing at the Progressive Christian Portal at patheos.

Ugh.

Next thing you know will be that some Catholic "expert" or "theologian" will demand the Catholics use this abhorrent translation.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »

ROFL!  Cheesy

"Homeboy" is preferable to the Australian equivalents.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 06:28:32 PM »

Ugh.

Next thing you know will be that some Catholic "expert" or "theologian" will demand the Catholics use this abhorrent translation.

Why not? Catholics did participate in the project as translators...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »

What about those with Solipsism Disorder?  We shouldn't offend them by assuming we exist.  I think we'd all be better off if everyone just stayed very still, and very quiet.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Irish_Melkite

Faith: Melkite
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton MA

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:36 PM »

Ugh.

Why not? Catholics did participate in the project as translators...

Yeah, Renegade Nuns and Jesuits, I'll bet.   Grin
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »

No, then you'd be offending people who self-identify as tachyons or think they can bilocate. We need to sit and move faster than light at the same time.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »

What about those with Solipsism Disorder?  We shouldn't offend them by assuming we exist.  I think we'd all be better off if everyone just stayed very still, and very quiet.

Why are you stopping there? Solipsism is merely half-arsed skepticism, and it disgusts me. People should have the cojones to do it the whole way, and not chicken out ...
 police
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:07:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 11:12:01 PM »

Gross

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »

Gross
I agree.

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, NC

I live by the river where the old gods still dream

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2012, 09:16:15 PM »

This thread makes no sense.

As always, it's easy to criticize something you've not read.

Tasting is Believing
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »

Examples always are the best way to prove a point.

Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »

Well, the best example is that this is the only Bible which my fiancé cares to read and learn from, and this comes after trying many other formal and functional equivalent translations.  As we use this Bible in our shared studies, I've not run across anything that can be strictly defined as heretical even considering that it does not necessarily attempt to be an academically sound translation.  With my background in Hebrew and NT Greek, I can honestly say that it preserves the "taste" of the Greek-Hebrew idiom in its appropriate balance between word-for-word and sense-for-sense approach in as close of an English idiom as possible. If any person is "scandalized" by non-issues such as what one Bible says about The "Human One," that's their problem, honestly.  My suggestion is to read a book, any book, on contemporary biblical scholarship and realize that this translation is mild considering the alternatives.

Tasting is Believing
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 02:50:32 AM »

"Child of Humanity" actually conveys the concept well and provides a helpful alternative to understanding the language used, but the fact remains that "Son of Man" is a Messianic/Christological title and will always be the standard. Other translations of it that are gender neutered can help fill out the idea expressed in a fuller way, but "the Human One" is just abysmal.
+1

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Bigsinner
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA  (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 11:33:17 PM »

Well, the best example is that this is the only Bible which my fiancé cares to read and learn from, and this comes after trying many other formal and functional equivalent translations.  As we use this Bible in our shared studies, I've not run across anything that can be strictly defined as heretical even considering that it does not necessarily attempt to be an academically sound translation.  With my background in Hebrew and NT Greek, I can honestly say that it preserves the "taste" of the Greek-Hebrew idiom in its appropriate balance between word-for-word and sense-for-sense approach in as close of an English idiom as possible. If any person is "scandalized" by non-issues such as what one Bible says about The "Human One," that's their problem, honestly.  My suggestion is to read a book, any book, on contemporary biblical scholarship and realize that this translation is mild considering the alternatives.

While I'm sure your fiance is swell, howsoever much her preferences may prove to be dispositive of what's right for you, they do not necessarily compel those to whom she is not betrothed to follow suit.
Big Chris
Formerly "mint"
Elder

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »

While I'm sure your fiance is swell, howsoever much her preferences may prove to be dispositive of what's right for you, they do not necessarily compel those to whom she is not betrothed to follow suit.

Obviously you missed the larger scope of what I said above, which has less to do with whom is utilizing the text than with the fact that the text is highly utilitarian in addition to being passing many standards of academic rigor.

Tasting is Believing
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: