OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:29:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling with self abuse  (Read 1478 times) Average Rating: 0
crackerjake

« on: July 22, 2011, 02:18:05 AM »

I'm not sure how to go about this, so I'll be blunt:  I've been struggling with masturbation.  I can put up a resistance to it, but I eventually give in.  I'm frustrated with myself, and I feel as if I am testing God's patience by continually asking for forgiveness over one thing.  I've been questioning my own desire to repent and cease this habit, considering that I must not feel too sorry if I can't stop.  This makes me worry that God won't forgive me since I may not truly be sincere when I ask for His forgiveness.  I fear that repenting may turn into as much a 'habit' as my sin. 
     I feel greedy asking this, but please pray for me.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »

The human sex drive is the strongest human desire, perhaps even stronger than the appetite for food. This desire is given to us by God, but since the fall of man we often fail to control it. Continue to struggle, and do not despair of the mercy of God. If anyone condemns you for your failures in this area, then they reveal that they do not have the spirit of Christ. For even the Saints who have conquered the passions would point you to the grace of Our Lord, and they would tell you to trust in His unfailing love and mercy. 

The intercessions of St. Mary of Egypt have helped me greatly:

Selam

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 08:05:23 AM »

I agree - this drive was also the hardest thing for me to control, and it has taken many years even to make a small advancement.

Remember not to rely on your own effort alone - if you do, you may be able to resist for a little while, but not forever. The adversary is stronger than the most strong-willed human, but God is stronger than everyone and he forgives an infinite number of times. Perhaps more dangerous than the sin itself is the thought that God won't forgive, which is simply and absolutely untrue: Remember "Not seven times, but seventy times seven" and "In Him redemption is plentiful."

Lord have mercy
Lord have mercy
Lord have mercy.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 08:26:23 AM »

This is something I also struggle with.  It is VERY difficult for us to try and control this, even a little bit.  We must rely on God.

One thing that helps me a whole lot is more frequent confession.  I now confess every 2 weeks, instead of every 4.  You might give this a thought, as it really helps. 

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:56:57 AM »

God's mercy knows no bounds! His forgiveness transcends our understanding of forgiveness. Do not despair in your sins but focus on the grace of God.

Lord, have mercy!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
crackerjake

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:04:56 AM »

Thankyou for the replies, they are helpful Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 01:05:13 AM by crackerjake » Logged
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:30:40 AM »

Have you talked to your priest yet?  I did and it was very helpful for me.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
crackerjake

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »

I'm not a full convert yet, I'm still in the catechesis.  I find the topic to be a bit embarrassing to talk about :|
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:07 PM »

I'm not a full convert yet, I'm still in the catechesis.  I find the topic to be a bit embarrassing to talk about :|

Most men (I can't speak for the women) struggle with this. Either the priest has already heard men confess this a lot or the men are lying. I understand the embarrassment, however, when it's all said and done your burden will be lifted. Smiley

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:37 PM »

The human sex drive is the strongest human desire, perhaps even stronger than the appetite for food. This desire is given to us by God, but since the fall of man we often fail to control it. Continue to struggle, and do not despair of the mercy of God. If anyone condemns you for your failures in this area, then they reveal that they do not have the spirit of Christ. For even the Saints who have conquered the passions would point you to the grace of Our Lord, and they would tell you to trust in His unfailing love and mercy. 

The intercessions of St. Mary of Egypt have helped me greatly:

Selam

Since it has been posted, I've tried Gebre's suggestion and I have to say it has been such a blessing to me. I was always very drawn to Saint Mary of Egypt's story (because of my sinful background) but I got an icon of her and started asking for her intercessions and I fully believe there has been relief in my life because of her prayers. Every time I see something that makes that fire in me start to burn I say the above prayer while crossing myself a few times. Sometimes it goes right away, sometimes I have to spend more time with the prayer. But if I stay faithful to the prayer in the end I reconnect with her story and am drawn to compunction. That puts out the fire for me, until next time anyway (which is about 5 minutes later  Wink )

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: