OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Campus Crusade Changes Name to Cru  (Read 1337 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: July 21, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »

Campus Crusade for Christ International (CCCI) is embarking on a nine-month mission to change its name to Cru, years after its founder, Bill Bright, wondered whether the evangelistic ministry should alter the brand.

It's already a popular shorthand for the ministry, though other evangelicals often call it simply "Crusade," the half of its name that has caused it problems overseas. The word carries connotations to the Crusades, military conquests by European Christians intended to reclaim the Holy Land from Muslims in the 11th to 13th centuries.
Campus Crusade is not the first organization to distance itself from the term. In 2000, Wheaton College removed its Crusader mascot and eventually became the Thunder....In 2002, evangelist Billy Graham began using the word "mission" to describe what he always called "crusades." His son Franklin Graham and evangelist Luis Palau call their gatherings "festivals"....
I wonder if the name change was also partly a result of Orthodox criticism?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:49:17 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »

Campus Crusade for Christ International (CCCI) is embarking on a nine-month mission to change its name to Cru, years after its founder, Bill Bright, wondered whether the evangelistic ministry should alter the brand.

It's already a popular shorthand for the ministry, though other evangelicals often call it simply "Crusade," the half of its name that has caused it problems overseas. The word carries connotations to the Crusades, military conquests by European Christians intended to reclaim the Holy Land from Muslims in the 11th to 13th centuries.
Campus Crusade is not the first organization to distance itself from the term. In 2000, Wheaton College removed its Crusader mascot and eventually became the Thunder....In 2002, evangelist Billy Graham began using the word "mission" to describe what he always called "crusades." His son Franklin Graham and evangelist Luis Palau call their gatherings "festivals"....
I wonder if the name change was also partly a result of Orthodox criticism?

I think the whole thing is silly. A name's a name. What they do wont change. A zebra loses its stripes, its still a zebra.

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »

When I saw the title of this thread I thought the end had been cut off by mistake.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:39 PM »

bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32:03 PM »

Dumb. I can understand the "Crusade" bit, but "Christ"?

We felt like our name was getting in the way of accomplishing our mission

I know right!?!?  If I had a nickel for every time the silly issue of names got in the way of introductions...it happens ALL the time. Seriously.

When I'm sharing my faith, I always HHHAAAATE the part when I have to say "Christ".

Roll Eyes

We were not trying to eliminate the word Christ from our name.

So you did.

Cru enables us to have discussions about Christ with people who might initially be turned off by a more overtly Christian name.

Ah, so we'll trick people into becoming Christians. That will surely result in very committed followers, who don't know who they are supposed to worship.

Quotes from: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/21/campus-ministry-drops-christ-from-name
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:02:09 PM by bogdan » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:49:27 PM »

Perhaps it was the whole "Crusade" thingey.  I mean, the last real movie about the Crusades was Kingdom of Heaven and I would hate to be part of any organization associated with Orlando Bloom.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »

Perhaps it was the whole "Crusade" thingey.  I mean, the last real movie about the Crusades was Kingdom of Heaven and I would hate to be part of any organization associated with Orlando Bloom.

You're in denial... Orlando bloom is dreamy...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:51:20 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

The plot thickens:

-----

ORLANDO -- Campus Crusade for Christ International, to be known after 2012 as Cru, has taken fire in recent days for the change of its name. The change is seen by some as an effort to obscure its core mission focus.

In an effort to showcase the organization's refreshed outlook, Cru has released a preview of a new translation of the Bible, intended for distribution at future Cru events.

The book, an edited version of the King James Bible, will be entitled Good Stories from Olden Times. Targeted at college-aged men and women with no religious background, the new translation aims to introduce the Bible to a new audience without scandalizing them with objectionable material.

On the heels of Cru's name change, this objectionable material includes the name "Christ" and other similar references to the man whom Christians regard as God incarnate.

Sidebar:

And Moses said unto God, "Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, 'The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you;' and they shall say to me, 'What is his name?' What shall I say unto them?"

And God said unto Moses, "If I told thee, thou wouldest become unhappy and surely leave right now. Wherefore, my words to thee shall be enough for the children of Israel, for they shall delight that I have not burdened them to know my name." And he said, "Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, 'Likest thou a cappuchino? Come thou, for there are open seats near the band."

The Outgoing 3:13-14 (Exodus 3:13-14, revised)

Representatives from Cru were not available for comment.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:12:51 PM by bogdan » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:03 PM »

Perhaps it was the whole "Crusade" thingey.  I mean, the last real movie about the Crusades was Kingdom of Heaven and I would hate to be part of any organization associated with Orlando Bloom.

You're in denial... Orlando bloom is dreamy...

He sees visions of Christ every time he gets that vacant quizzical look on his face in his movies.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »

Dumb. I can understand the "Crusade" bit, but "Christ"?

We felt like our name was getting in the way of accomplishing our mission

I know right!?!?  If I had a nickel for every time the silly issue of names got in the way of introductions...it happens ALL the time. Seriously.

When I'm sharing my faith, I always HHHAAAATE the part when I have to say "Christ".

Roll Eyes

We were not trying to eliminate the word Christ from our name.

So you did.

Cru enables us to have discussions about Christ with people who might initially be turned off by a more overtly Christian name.

Ah, so we'll trick people into becoming Christians. That will surely result in very committed followers, who don't know who they are supposed to worship.

Quotes from: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/21/campus-ministry-drops-christ-from-name

Perhaps they've been taken over by Unitarians.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »

ORLANDO --
In an effort to showcase the organization's refreshed outlook, Cru has released a preview of a new translation of the Bible, intended for distribution at future Cru events.

The book, an edited version of the King James Bible, will be entitled Good Stories from Olden Times. Targeted at college-aged men and women with no religious background, the new translation aims to introduce the Bible to a new audience without scandalizing them with objectionable material.

One big rolling eyes emoticon is in order here.  Instead, I will place three consecutively:  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I like your sidebar though.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »

So, because the word "Crusade" (which is a neutral word and in no way bad when you aren't trying to slaughter lots of people) is negatively impacting Campus Crusade for Christ.  That is understandable.  If one descriptor of my business was hampering business, I might change it too.  However, because "Crusade" was bad for business, they eliminated "Christ" from their name and created an abbreviated form of "Crusade" to take the name's place?  That makes no sense to me.  It is clear from the fact that they have started editing the Bible to eliminate controversy, that Evangelicals will, by the year 2086, have replaced all churches with "Group Psychotherapy Centers" and become for-profit institutions.  I mean, seriously, churches already tend to leave out things like the genocide of the people in the Land of Canaan, and the fact that Lot's daughters got him drunk and slept with him.  Now they are even taking that out of the Bible?  What next, the scandal of the Cross?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
SubdeaconSL

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »

"Cru" sounds like a trendy magazine for oenophiles.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »

Why do we care about this? It's not as if those most of those folks considered us 'real' Christians anyway.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »

In graduate school, it was usually a Campus Crusade guy who'd be outside the Humanities building and screaming at people about how anything they ever did was cause for them to burn in Hell forever. One guy couldn't take it and dressed up as a gorilla, in order to hand out slices of fruit candy to passersby. Another time, some women in disco wigs came out and danced to a Spice Girls song. Funniest things I've ever seen.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »

ORLANDO --

Wow, this is truly one of the most offensive things I have ever read.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 09:00:42 PM »

ORLANDO --

Wow, this is truly one of the most offensive things I have ever read.

Wait, hold on, were you being sarcastic?

I haven't had my breakfast energy drink ...

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 10:11:06 PM »

Why do we care about this? It's not as if those most of those folks considered us 'real' Christians anyway.

Well, it is good to know how the Evangelicals are behaving and thinking.  It makes it easier to try and direct our message to them, for when we convert them or they inquire.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »

Everyone: the fake news article was a joke. "Illustrating absurdity by being absurd," some would say. I apologize for any offense it caused nonetheless.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 12:12:13 AM »

One of the gayest, most pagan men I have ever known was a Campus Crusade dropout... But I always liked him much better than the CCFC people.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:12:36 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Nero

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »

They're sincere people, no doubt, but like most protestant denominations, they're trying desperately to attract the crowds.

This is why so many evangelical campus ministry groups are using "Christian Rock". Yet personally I think more people would find this

more appealing than this:

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 02:14:58 AM »

Everyone: the fake news article was a joke. "Illustrating absurdity by being absurd," some would say. I apologize for any offense it caused nonetheless.

I'm glad I kept reading.  I almost warned you for not citing the article.   police

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 02:25:55 AM »

Hey if some told me they were in cru, I would first ask if they were talking sculling or coxless.

Always looking for a partner to do a little sculling with.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: