Author Topic: Chaput To Replace Cardinal Rigali  (Read 731 times)

Offline Robb

• OC.net guru
Chaput To Replace Cardinal Rigali
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:47:27 PM »
"Me big Indian chief, me is coming to Philly See".

I hope he turns out better then his predecessor (For the sake of RC's in the scandal ridden, yet staunchly conservative) Philly Archdiocese.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/source:-chaput-to-replace-cardinal-rigali-071711

Source: Chaput To Replace Cardinal Rigali

PHILADELPHIA - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Denver will replace Cardinal Justin Rigali as the leader of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, sources tell Fox 29.

Pope Benedict XVI is expected to accept Cardinal Rigali's resignation as soon as Tuesday. An announcement about Chaput's appointment to Philadelphia may also come on Tuesday.

According to his official biography, Chaput is as member of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Tribe , and the first Native American archbishop.
Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
Re: Chaput To Replace Cardinal Rigali
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
"Me big Indian chief, me is coming to Philly See".

I hope he turns out better then his predecessor (For the sake of RC's in the scandal ridden, yet staunchly conservative) Philly Archdiocese.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/source:-chaput-to-replace-cardinal-rigali-071711

Source: Chaput To Replace Cardinal Rigali

PHILADELPHIA - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Denver will replace Cardinal Justin Rigali as the leader of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, sources tell Fox 29.

Pope Benedict XVI is expected to accept Cardinal Rigali's resignation as soon as Tuesday. An announcement about Chaput's appointment to Philadelphia may also come on Tuesday.

According to his official biography, Chaput is as member of the Prairie Band Potawatomi Tribe , and the first Native American archbishop.

Big fan of Archbishop Chaput, hopefully soon to be Cardinal.  I haven't been following the news, what did Cardinal Rigali do? I thought he was cleaning things up.
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline Robb

• OC.net guru
Re: Chaput To Replace Cardinal Rigali
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 02:59:00 AM »
I'm concerned about Chaput and his ability to handle the delicate pastoral situation that existed in Philadelphia. 

It used to be that the Vatican generally appointed men to the bishopric who were, at least from the same region of the country as the diocese they were appointed to.  Now it seems that they are just appointed bishops all over the place who are not from the same region (Midwesterners  Dolan in NY and Meyers in Newark, Rigali is from CA). It concerns we that these men, although highly qualified are from the Western US, which is pastoraly very different from the East Coast.  I hope that Archbishop Chaput will have the know how to lead as diverse and multi cultural archdiocese as Philadelphia (Which definitely is not Denver).  I wish they would have appointed an East Coast bishop (Like DiMarzio of Brooklyn, Mansell of Hartford, or Serratelli of Paterson) To head an East Coast diocese and leave the Midwesterners to Shepperd their own people.
Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert