OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:06:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 6460 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2011, 10:41:17 PM »

(I'll hazard the opinion that such relates to the majority of the Catholic posters here who engage in debate being neither EC nor OC, but canonical Latins.)

Don't forget elijahmaria.

What comes through with elijahmaria is a decidedly Latin background and outlook.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »

Mr. Monahan, if that is you, how did it feel to get a taste of your own medicine (of banning people at CAF)?

I hope you remembered to duck after posting that on an Orthodox forum.  Shocked  laugh

But seriously, my impression is that people were less upset about 'Joe Monahan' being banned than they were about the secret bannings.

People were upset about both of course.  There was general shock and disbelief about the shabby way the CAF staff ousted Joe Monahan.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »

It seems that they have re-opened discussions about Orthodoxy. See here

Update: it also seems that Gurneyhalleck1 has been unbanned. See here
Can't go by that: often CAF suspends someone etc. but it is not shown (I speak from personal experience).

^ Like my brother said Cheesy

Anyone who doubts that such a thing would be done is well-advised to read the old CAF refugee thread here at OC.net and count the 'banned, but unlabeled'. Let's see .. there would be Father Ambrose, myself, isa, 'Joe Monahan' (my alter ego as a CAF mod - labeled as 'resigned', but 'banned' for all intents and purposes), the list goes on ...

Many years,

Neil
Mr. Monahan, if that is you, how did it feel to get a taste of your own medicine (of banning people at CAF

Stanley, my brother,

'Joe Monahan' was a pseudonym that I adopted to use as a nick when I accepted the post as moderator of the old Eastern Christianity forum at CAF (their policy required that a member use a diff nick as Mod than that by which he was known as a poster - in my case, Irish Melkite).

How did it feel? It felt wrong - I felt wronged. It was not the same medicine as what I administered. Yes, I banned - but there were very, very few EC or EO posters banned and it never happened without a strong effort to avoid it and deal with the matter by other means.

Many years,

Neil  

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »

(I'll hazard the opinion that such relates to the majority of the Catholic posters here who engage in debate being neither EC nor OC, but canonical Latins.)

What comes through with elijahmaria is a decidedly Latin background and outlook.

If so, then we definitely are short of EC opinions around here (excepting this thread of course).

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2011, 10:55:51 PM »

Anyone who doubts that such a thing would be done is well-advised to read the old CAF refugee thread here at OC.net and count the 'banned, but unlabeled'. Let's see .. there would be Father Ambrose, myself, isa, 'Joe Monahan' (my alter ego as a CAF mod - labeled as 'resigned', but 'banned' for all intents and purposes), the list goes on ...

Many years,

Neil
Hello my good brother Neil!
 Smiley

Michael, my beloved friend and brother,

It is always good to see and hear from you. You're missed both here and at ByzCath.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2011, 10:58:20 PM »

Can't go by that: often CAF suspends someone etc. but it is not shown (I speak from personal experience).

Many years,

Neil
Mr. Monahan, if that is you, how did it feel to get a taste of your own medicine (of banning people at CAF

Stanley, my brother,

'Joe Monahan' was a pseudonym that I adopted to use as a nick when I accepted the post as moderator of the old Eastern Christianity forum at CAF (their policy required that a member use a diff nick as Mod than that by which he was known as a poster - in my case, Irish Melkite).

How did it feel? It felt wrong - I felt wronged. It was not the same medicine as what I administered. Yes, I banned - but there were very, very few EC or EO posters banned and it never happened without a strong effort to avoid it and deal with the matter by other means.

Many years,

Neil  

I wasn't involved with CAF back in those days, but just going by ^^ it sounds like Eastern posters may have been given preferential treatment.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:59:33 PM by Peter J » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »

Many years,

Neil

Stanley, my brother,

Many years,

Neil  

I wasn't involved with CAF back in those days, but just going by ^^ it sounds like Eastern posters may have been given preferential treatment.

I had over three years on CAF and was there for the entire reign of Joe Monahan over the Eastern Christian subforum and I can assure you that it was not like that.  The man was treasured as fair and even-handed, especially in contrast to some previous arbitrary and often mean-spirited moderators of that section.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:22 PM »

Mr. Monahan, if that is you, how did it feel to get a taste of your own medicine (of banning people at CAF)?

I hope you remembered to duck after posting that on an Orthodox forum.  Shocked  laugh

But seriously, my impression is that people were less upset about 'Joe Monahan' being banned than they were about the secret bannings.
Not I.

That probably shouldn't surprise me, yet it does.

Isa, my brother,

Thank you, my friend. I appreciate very much how you and others here reacted.

Peter,

I'm proud to say that 'Joe Monahan' had a strong and positive relationship with the members of the Eastern Christianity forum, both Catholic and Orthodox. I was touched and humbled by the kind words that were posted to the CAF thread here in support of me after I was 'resigned' from the mod staff at CAF.

Many years,

Neil  

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »

I spent many more years as a Roman rite Catholic and taught adult catechesis for many years.

But my liturgical practice is eastern and the calendar I keep is eastern and has been for nearly 15 years, which means I can double dip on the saints and historical practices of the one holy catholic and apostolic Church....

It's a nice place to be here breathing with both lungs...and I don't need to be nasty to anyone in order to live my faith authentically.   Smiley

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »

Many years,

Neil

Stanley, my brother,

Many years,

Neil  

Peter,

You hsve to understand that before there was the Eastern Christianity forum, EC were treated elsewhere on the site as the red-haired stepchildren with head lice. EO were treated as illegitimate cousins  with even worse conditions. If someone asked a question about liturgical praxis, spiritual life, fasting, saints, prayers, and either of us had the temerity to explain 'well, in the East, the praxis is ..., we were quickly let know, in no uncertain terms, that we could return to the cellar and do whatever the unwashed and unwanted do when they aren't annoying the regular folk.

Latins, Protestants, Muslims, Jews, anyone who wanted to come to the Eastern forum and learn about us, debate with us, etc, - in a civil and charitable manner - was more than welcome to do so. Those who weren't welcome were those who came with an attitude of triumphalism and disdain. Their careers were short-lived. We had a decent number of non-Eastern posters who were 'regulars' to us. Quite honestly, when someone would come along who was clearly out to 'bait' us, it wasn't uncommon for a group PM to pass among two or three dozen of the 'regs' pointing the individual out and warning each other to avoid getting suckered into a troll-feeding fest.

We were a Community - and that Community spanned both Churches and geography.

Many years,

Neil

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »

Peter,

You hsve to understand that before there was the Eastern Christianity forum, EC were treated elsewhere on the site as the red-haired stepchildren with head lice. EO were treated as illegitimate cousins  with even worse conditions. If someone asked a question about liturgical praxis, spiritual life, fasting, saints, prayers, and either of us had the temerity to explain 'well, in the East, the praxis is ..., we were quickly let know, in no uncertain terms, that we could return to the cellar and do whatever the unwashed and unwanted do when they aren't annoying the regular folk.

Huh And that's what led to the Eastern Christianity forum?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2011, 11:58:16 PM »

Peter,

Yes.

Quite a few people were against the formation of the Eastern Christianity subforum.  They thought that it would relegate the Eastern Catholics into an even deeper ghetto than when they were mixed into the regular Roman Catholic forums.   But in the end the wisdom of creating a specific subforum proved to be the right decision.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »

Peter,

Yes.

Quite a few people were against the formation of the Eastern Christianity subforum.  They thought that it would relegate the Eastern Catholics into an even deeper ghetto than when they were mixed into the regular Roman Catholic forums.   But in the end the wisdom of creating a specific subforum proved to be the right decision.

So CAF's mistreatment of ECs and EOs let to ECs and EOs flocking to CAF?

Am I missing something here?

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2011, 12:49:10 AM »

Peter,

Yes.

Yes.  laugh

Only the hardy survived.  Many Eastern Catholics faded away;  many, knowing of the conditions prevailing on the Forum, simply never joined. Irish Melkite can confirm this and he can confirm that with the advent of Joe Monahan's reign of toleration (himself Eastern Catholic) more Eastern Catholics were joining and staying.  The Orthodox, being of hardy stock,  often stayed.   And part of their decision to stay was sometimes to support the Eastern Catholics against the attititudes of the Roman Catholics.
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »

Hi Peter,

Yes, I can remember it pretty well.

It was difficult to participate in a deep conversation about liturgy or theology, because of course the Byzantine Catholic perspective was different. People made a lot of assumptions and then an eastern Catholic would say something like " but our viewpoint is such and such ..." and it was really annoying to everyone else.

I think there was a lot of pressure to remove us and prevent us from worming our way into a lot of conversations.

I can remember trying to make the case that eastern Catholic topics should be in the Traditionalist section. I was really big on the universality of the church and by 'Traditionalist' of course they really meant 'Latin Traditionalist', not "all Catholic Traditionalist". Recently there was an excellent thread in that section on the Mozarabic church, spearheaded by a bright young man who did great research and happily shared it. I think you might remember it. The Mozarabic church is definitely one of the root traditions of Roman Catholicism.

There were a few who objected "what is this doing here?" as if it were something foreign. I thought it should be a sticky. That bias was so endemic and so natural to most people that it was like a fish in water doesn't know about the water.

So Liturgy is basically "Latin Rite Liturgy", and Apologetics is basically "Latin Rite Apologetics" and Traditionalist is basically "Latin Rite Traditionalist" and if you start a thread about Syro-Malabar Traditional Catholicism it gets moved to the ghetto.

Anyway, I was a bit resentful of the sequestering but the idea of making it a meeting place for Orthodox and Eastern Catholics  made it seem worth the try. It could have been a little Orientale Lumen forum with ongoing high minded discussion. I had high hopes for it.

Instead it turned into a hothouse for debate.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2011, 05:41:21 AM »

Peter,

Yes.

Yes.  laugh

I guess it's like my grandmother used to say: You catch more flies with arsenic than with vinegar.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2011, 05:47:31 AM »

Ah yes, I noticed (although I don't think I've commented on it before) that there's a sticky in the Traditional Catholicism section that reads

Notice:

This forum is intended for discussion of Traditional Roman Catholic liturgy, practices, and spirituality. It is not intended for discussion of Eastern Catholic liturgy, practices, and spirituality (or for arguing for the presumed superiority of Eastern Catholicism to Traditional Roman Catholicism). Those wishing to discuss Eastern Catholicism must do so in the Eastern Catholicism forum, and not in this forum.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=429527

So apparently traditional Catholicism is Western by definition!

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2011, 07:45:26 AM »

Ah, those were the days.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »

FYI: A few people noted that their accounts had, at one point, not been labeled as "banned" publicly at CAF.  In the spirit of full discretion: the banning system at OC.net often does not display a "banned" note by someone's name.  The banning feature that is part of the forum warning software (the same warning system that administers "Warned," "Moderated," and "Muted") automatically reduces people from "Banned" to "Muted" after 99 days (which is the maximum warning duration supported), so we had to begin using a 3rd party add-on to enact permanent/indefinite bans, which does not display their Banned status in their User Log or posts.  However, they are no longer searchable in the Membership list.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:46:33 PM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2011, 01:13:35 AM »

...and I don't need to be nasty to anyone in order to live my faith authentically.   Smiley

So you just do it for fun then?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »

However, they are no longer searchable in the Membership list.

All the fine posts made by TomS, SmoT, Matthew777, Acolyte, etc... gone. So sad. *shakes head*

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »

FYI: A few people noted that their accounts had, at one point, not been labeled as "banned" publicly at CAF.  In the spirit of full discretion: the banning system at OC.net often does not display a "banned" note by someone's name. 

Bless, Father,

I can personally vouch for the fact that the software at CAF had no such limitation.

At this point in time, I think that there are very few of the 'secretly banned' whose nicks remain unlabeled by a scarlet letter. I suspect that many labels were incrementally added, after the fact, so as to diminish the effect of having them all appear at once.

I do know that neither Father Ambrose nor me are labeled (unless it's very, very recent). Because of our high profiles (and Father's 18 or 19 thousand post count), I think we were perceived as ringleaders and potential rallying points for the community and there was, consequently, a concern that we'd become 'martyrs to the cause' if labeled.

That our bannings - or that of anyone else among the EC and EO community there - would go unnoticed for very long was, of course, a rather naive hope on CAF's part, as virtually every banning - public or secret - was posted about here within an hour or so of the time the bannee became aware of it. (Sometimes before he or she was themselves aware.)

Many years,

Neil

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2011, 08:12:18 AM »

All the fine posts made by TomS, SmoT, Matthew777, Acolyte, etc... gone. So sad. *shakes head*

They can, however, be found by using Advanced Search, entering a term that you know was used by the individual in a post or thread, entering his or her nick, and hitting search.

For example, Benedictine as the search term and Matthew777 as the poster, will produce the infamous thread in which Matthew mused about joining the Benedictines because the order would pay for his college and grad school education and, thereafter, assign him to a teaching position in a higher education setting (a thread that put me right over the edge).

At CAF, one can likewise find threads/posts by bannees, using the same process. However, a monumental number of threads from the Eastern Christianity forum were 'archived' in the deepest reaches of CAF's cyber-dungeons and cannot be searched. Initially, they remained retrievable through Google caches, but CAF was quick to get that loophole closed. As a consequence, the available threads and posts from the pre-purge period represent only a tiny fraction of what had been originally posted.

Many years,

Neil

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2011, 08:20:08 AM »

Ah yes, I noticed (although I don't think I've commented on it before) that there's a sticky in the Traditional Catholicism section that reads

Notice:

This forum is intended for discussion of Traditional Roman Catholic liturgy, practices, and spirituality. It is not intended for discussion of Eastern Catholic liturgy, practices, and spirituality (or for arguing for the presumed superiority of Eastern Catholicism to Traditional Roman Catholicism). Those wishing to discuss Eastern Catholicism must do so in the Eastern Catholicism forum, and not in this forum.

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=429527

So apparently traditional Catholicism is Western by definition!

Can I offer another 'Wow!'  The Traditional Forum wasn't created until after our expulsion, so I've never had much occasion to look at it. But, I am intrigued to learn that someone was arguing "the presumed superiority of Eastern Catholicism to Traditional Roman Catholicism" (maybe they'd want to try 'Latin" in place of 'Roman'? - seems more traditional Cheesy  ).

I've never seen that argument raised anywhere that I can recollect - although I sure have seen the obverse raised any number of times!

The things one learns about at CAF* - Wow!

Many years,

Neil

*As examples, Father Ambrose and I 'learned'

(1) that the Holy Fire is produced by a zippo lighter (we first became well-acquainted over e-mail during our matching 30 day suspensions over that fiasco), and,

(2) that the EP concelebrated a Divine Liturgy with the Pope
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:21:24 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »

(1) that the Holy Fire is produced by a zippo lighter (we first became well-acquainted over e-mail during our matching 30 day suspensions over that fiasco), and,

laugh  laugh  That incident was my hilarious introduction to Catholic Answers.  I had just signed up and I noticed a post saying the Holy Fire was produced by the Patriarch using a piece of jiggery-pokery and a cigarette lighter !!   So I thought I'd make a response to that. 

Little did I know at the time that the person who was asserting it was in fact Karl Keating himself the founder and head of Catholic Answers and reverenced as only slightly less infallible than the Pope.   

His response, when his infallibility was questioned on this matter, was to delete the entire thread. No apology for maligning the Patriarchs of Jerusalem.  No upfront message saying that perhaps he was mistaken!   I think that at that stage if I had any discernment at all I should have realised that the level of integrity among some of the staff at CAF was not of a high standard (with notable exceptions.)
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »

laugh  laugh  That incident was my hilarious introduction to Catholic Answers.  I had just signed up and I noticed a post saying the Holy Fire was produced by the Patriarch using a piece of jiggery-pokery and a cigarette lighter !!   So I thought I'd make a response to that. 

Little did I know at the time that the person who was asserting it was in fact Karl Keating himself the founder and head of Catholic Answers and reverenced as only slightly less infallible than the Pope.   

His response, when his infallibility was questioned on this matter, was to delete the entire thread. No apology for maligning the Patriarchs of Jerusalem.  No upfront message saying that perhaps he was mistaken!   I think that at that stage if I had any discernment at all I should have realised that the level of integrity among some of the staff at CAF was not of a high standard (with notable exceptions.)
LOL. Even teh Muslims admit the miracle of the Holy Fire, and have for centuries (I recall reading a Muslim account from around 1100).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »

Locked pending moderatorial discussion of whether we want to permit any more CAF-bashing threads.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2011, 03:51:06 PM »

We don't delete accounts, and we don't delete posts unless necessary.

So.... They're not gone - you just can't look up their member profile easily to then find the posts.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »

Unlocked after further review
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2011, 12:36:47 AM »

Quote from: PeterTheAleut
Locked pending moderatorial discussion of whether we want to permit any more CAF-bashing threads

Unlocked after further review

In truth, it's probably time to let the subject go. At this point, the thread is likely to become little more than a rehash of the original CAF refugee thread - old guys reminiscing, retelling war stories to the assembled young'uns.

CAF has apparently lifted the latest interdiction. I'd like to think that the public discussion here played into that decision - making it clear how ridiculous it was, but we'll never know.

Many years,

Neil

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:37:15 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2011, 01:27:50 AM »

And they say I'M the one with a martyrdom complex  Roll Eyes

Precisely, because you complain far more in amount and in quality and yet you aren't even treated as poorly here as we are at CAF.

Hear, hear!
Fr. I exected better from you.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #121 on: August 03, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »

CAF is such a joke when it comes to dialoguing with the Orthodox.

They are a joke when dialoguing with anyone they disagree with. I was over there posting, and made the mistake of innocently saying the post-V2 church is "modernist", which to me, means very different from the historical Roman Catholic Church (the only form of it I am familiar with for complicated reasons).

I got an "infraction", and then when I tried to let people know I had decided to just leave the board since the modern church is too different for me to try to understand, I got another "infraction" for saying THAT!

Finally, I wrote back to the mod who sent me the second "infraction" to basically say "don't worry, I've leaving anyway", and then I got this:

Your account has been locked for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

This change will be lifted: Never

I wonder if I set a record? I got two infractions AND a banning, all in ONE DAY!  Grin One was probably for speaking kindly about the Orthodox, and the other was probably for speaking favorably about Catholicism before V2.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:30:15 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2011, 12:20:13 PM »

No that's the statement. I can't see the value of it as it actually works against keeping a member of the Church there I would have thought. More mature people won't be swayed to either leave or join by the ructions on an internet forum but for those wavering or more naive in their faith it may be the proverbial staw that breaks their back. I could understand a ruling against people saying they find it hard to remain members of the Church and who then go on to insult it. But to just put a blanket ban on any discussion of the subject was I felt not the right approach.

As to the ban in that part of the forum I think the Orthodox posters here who have commented that 'hey so what we're not Catholic?' are really taking the best approach.

If you're familiar with Catholic Answers, then you should be familiar with to general naivety of the posters. Many of them have little education in Christian thought, much less Catholic theology. Considering it is specifically geared towards this type of poster (Catholic Answers),from an objective stance, I can't much blame them.

I've noticed this too. Not only are they incredibly uneducated about non-Catholic faiths, but they are very uneducated about THEIR OWN Faith as it was in the "glory days" before V2. They seem to desperately cling to the "obedience uber alles" mentality which, frankly, is what turned me off to post-V2 Catholicism in the first place anyway, in addition to "the changes".

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #123 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:54 PM »

I see. I guess it's possible for them to ban somebody without showing it. What a shame then, if they're going to keep Gurneyhalleck banned.

For CAF's deceitful policy of not showing banned members as banned please see message 1198
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.msg217288.html#msg217288

I've known others who were banned from there; the reason why they don't show banned members as banned is to artifically inflate their actual numbers, I suppose.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #124 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »

They are a joke when dialoguing with anyone they disagree with. I was over there posting, and made the mistake of innocently saying the post-V2 church is "modernist", which to me, means very different from the historical Roman Catholic Church (the only form of it I am familiar with for complicated reasons).

I got an "infraction", and then when I tried to let people know I had decided to just leave the board since the modern church is too different for me to try to understand, I got another "infraction" for saying THAT!

Finally, I wrote back to the mod who sent me the second "infraction" to basically say "don't worry, I've leaving anyway", and then I got this:

No reason was specified.

I wonder if I set a record? I got two infractions AND a banning, all in ONE DAY!  Grin One was probably for speaking kindly about the Orthodox, and the other was probably for speaking favorably about Catholicism before V2.

Hi Xenia,

Sorry to hear you've been banned.

I had been participating in their Traditional Catholicism sub-forum this summer, as I'm sure you noticed -- although I haven't been there in the last couple weeks. (I've been going to a different traditional Catholic forum, but I won't get into that.)

Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »

No reason was specified.

I wonder if I set a record? I got two infractions AND a banning, all in ONE DAY!  Grin One was probably for speaking kindly about the Orthodox, and the other was probably for speaking favorably about Catholicism before V2.

Hi Xenia,

I had been participating in their Traditional Catholicism sub-forum this summer, as I'm sure you noticed -- although I haven't been there in the last couple weeks. (I've been going to a different traditional Catholic forum, but I won't get into that.)

I actually had intended that today would be my last day posting there, and when I logged on to private message a few friends to let them know, I saw the infraction messages. I then wrote back to the one mod and said basically "Its OK, I was logging on to say to folks I was leaving today", when he banned me right then.I guess it was a case of, "You can't quit! You're banned instead!"lol

The weird thing is,I can't even SEE the forums;so the banning must make it so you can't even READ anything?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:16:41 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »

If you log out you'll be able to read the forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »

No reason was specified.

Hi Xenia,

I actually had intended that today would be my last day posting there, and when I logged on to private message a few friends to let them know, I saw the infraction messages. I then wrote back to the one mod and said basically "Its OK, I was logging on to say to folks I was leaving today", when he banned me right then.I guess it was a case of, "You can't quit! You're banned instead!"lol

The weird thing is,I can't even SEE the forums;so the banning must make it so you can't even READ anything?
Yeah, the pick up on your IP.

They will still be sending you appeals for money though.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2011, 06:26:44 PM »

No reason was specified.

Hi Xenia,

Yeah, the pick up on your IP.

They will still be sending you appeals for money though.

Yeah....ha. I've a good mind to email them back with "If I'm not good enough for your boards then neither is my money". Truth is, I was leaving their forums anyway, there's just nothing there.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2011, 07:56:01 PM »

Wow. They banned you for saying that in a private message? That's a little ... well, I don't know what that is.

BTW, I can recommend another trad forum, if you'd like. (Of course, you may already know the one I have in mind.)

Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #130 on: August 03, 2011, 08:33:42 PM »

Wow. They banned you for saying that in a private message? That's a little ... well, I don't know what that is.

Inquisitorial?  Grin

Its weird, you know? As novus ordo-y as they are, and as much into post-V2 Pope worship they seem to be, when it comes to silencing dissent, they are very medieval. haha

BTW, I can recommend another trad forum, if you'd like. (Of course, you may already know the one I have in mind.)

Probably. Wink I think I'd get along better on a sede forum, but I don't know of any.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:39:59 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »

No reason was specified.

I wonder if I set a record? I got two infractions AND a banning, all in ONE DAY!  Grin One was probably for speaking kindly about the Orthodox, and the other was probably for speaking favorably about Catholicism before V2.

Hi Xenia,

Funny, I PM'ed a mod when they suspended my account to tell them to go ahead and ban me and they ignored me.

But I can say from experience on other forums ( angel ) that "banning" on most forums means you can't read anything either. I've seen very few that continue to allow you to read.
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #132 on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »

No reason was specified.

Hi Xenia,

Funny, I PM'ed a mod when they suspended my account to tell them to go ahead and ban me and they ignored me.

But I can say from experience on other forums ( angel ) that "banning" on most forums means you can't read anything either. I've seen very few that continue to allow you to read.

I tried logging out as another poster here suggested...no way to do it from what I could see.

But I found today that if you go to Google and Google your handle there, you can read the forum that way.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:40:48 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #133 on: August 03, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »

No reason was specified.

Hi Xenia,

I tried logging out as another poster here suggested...no way to do it from what I could see.

But I found today that if you go to Google and Google your handle there, you can read the forum that way.  Grin

All of us who were thrown off CAF can still read posts.  I am surprised that you can't.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »

Probably. Wink

Done.

Tags: CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: