OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 12:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 6577 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 10:18:13 PM »

Wow!   This part of the Directive was particularly draconian:

"Any further PMs to me regarding amnesty for a particular banned member will result in an instant suspension."

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=581934

yeah, that's about right.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

Faith: Former Christian

Romans 10:9-10

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »

What does the link to Catholic Answers say? I am banned from their forums because I told a group of Catholics that they should stop hating on David Letterman for the sex scandal (you should have seen how harsh they were) and to pray for him because he is a fellow sinner. Apparently, they don't like the fact that we are all guilty of sin, equally  Undecided

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2011, 05:12:21 AM »

That's all I can say about this  Shocked

Many years,

Neil

Neil,

This relates in part to a poster there who is a friend of mine who went by the name of GurneyHalleck1. He was banned recently for God alone knows what. Before he was banned he was considered moving from Catholicism to Orthodoxy (he was originally Anglican) and he discussed the subject with myself and a number of other posters, both Catholic and Orthodox and some like myself who had family from both Churches. He was a very popular poster and people were very annoyed when he was banned and the mods got hit with a lot of posts complaining about it. As a result Mr. Hilbert who wrote that thinks there is some organised conspiracy of some kind to push an Orthodox agenda or that our banned fellow member Scott is organising some secret super-villian scheme to destabilise the regime. First Eric made a ruling that no-one could discuss leaving the Church under any circumstances, now we've moved to this position.

I've had my own posts pruned there over the last couple of days at times. Once when partaking in a conversation about the real presence when I was told 'this is not an Orthodox thread' for talking about how Catholicism views various Church's Eucharists. Also when attempting to point out the differing understanding of the sacrament of marriage in the east and west.

It is a Catholic forum but it is ludicrous that now one of the largest Christian groups in the world cannot be mentioned in a particular sub-forum. What's even more odd is outside that sub-forum you can happily mention the Orthodox Churches still.

Thank you for your explanation Jharek. Some Orthodox posters at CAF who were not aware of what had happened (myself included) were wondering what could have taken place to make the moderator start shooting from the hip like that. I wonder if they're going to resort to another mass-banning. The Orthodox posters, as one person put it, were starting perhaps to become too successful in defending their faith again.  Wink

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2011, 05:24:48 AM »

What does the link to Catholic Answers say?

Here is the text from the linked-to post:

Because of a banned member's continued efforts to cause trouble on the NCR forum through emails and his friends derailing threads....

All topics surrounding Orthodox issues are banned until further notice.

This includes old as well as new threads.
Failure to observe this will result in discipline up to and including closing an account.

To our Orthodox friends not involved, I'm sorry you have been caught up in this, but it is necessary because of the passive/aggressive behavior of less mature members.

I will let you know when the ban has been lifted.

PS, there is also sticky regarding emails from banned members.
Any further PMs to me regarding amnesty for a particular banned member will result in an instant suspension.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2011, 05:43:10 AM »

How is this being seen by the members of CAF?   

Is it the excessive reaction of a Moderator, reacting to just one issue with one person?  Is the Moderator new to the job at CAF and uneducated about the position which the Vatican holds with regard to Orthodoxy? Does he not realise that his action is belittling to Orthodoxy in general and very destructive of the attitude towards the Orthodox which the Pope and the Vatican wish Catholics to cultivate?

Is this another reaction as in 2007 because too many Catholics are converting to Orthodoxy?
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »

The Gurney Halleck at the epicentre of the CAF storm.... I've read some of his posts and he has style and knowledge, humour and pizazz.....

Someone should invite him to OC.net....
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52:46 AM »

It seems that they have re-opened discussions about Orthodoxy. See here

Update: it also seems that Gurneyhalleck1 has been unbanned. See here
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:03:45 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 07:01:09 AM »

And they have nuked the Moderator's post (given here in message 48.)

Vatican intervention?   laugh
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:25 AM »

And they have nuked the Moderator's post (given here in message 48.)

Vatican intervention?   laugh

Papal supremacy does have a use after all.  Roll Eyes

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »

Can't go by that: often CAF suspends someone etc. but it is not shown (I speak from personal experience).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 07:28:42 AM »

Can't go by that: often CAF suspends someone etc. but it is not shown (I speak from personal experience).

I see. I guess it's possible for them to ban somebody without showing it. What a shame then, if they're going to keep Gurneyhalleck banned.

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »

I see. I guess it's possible for them to ban somebody without showing it. What a shame then, if they're going to keep Gurneyhalleck banned.

For CAF's deceitful policy of not showing banned members as banned please see message 1198
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.msg217288.html#msg217288
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 09:19:46 AM »

For CAF's deceitful policy of not showing banned members as banned please see message 1198
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13287.msg217288.html#msg217288

A shame that they choose to be so sneaky at CAF. Guess the moderators have a Thomist outlook over at CAF: if you can't beat their deviant heresy, ban them in order to protect the flock. laugh
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:20:35 AM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »

A shame that they choose to be so sneaky at CAF. Guess the moderators have a Thomist outlook over at CAF: if you can't beat their deviant heresy, ban them in order to protect the flock. laugh

Well, at least there's no physical violence.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »

It would certainly provide for an interesting story, though, if CAF started an inquisition in real life.

Personna

Faith: I no longer post here.

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »

P.S. Now you've got me wondering: does that taboo include people joining the SSPX?

People who attend the SSPX, think of joining the SSPX, and other RC Traditionalists run into problems at CAF.  Below is a link to a thread at fisheaters.com.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/index.php/topic,3441721.0.html

A guilty pleasure of mine is to lurk around their forum.  I find it entertaining.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 11:01:03 AM »

You show banned when I see your posts.  Grin

I'm going to need this.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »

You're right. Evil is fine as long as it's not TOO evil.  Roll Eyes

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 01:14:43 PM »

You're right. Evil is fine as long as it's not TOO evil.  Roll Eyes
E.V.I.L.

Every
Villain
Is
Lemons

I rest my case.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 01:22:07 PM »

You show banned when I see your posts.  Grin
LOL.  That's now. Not always so.  A number of us more numerous posters were banned (at least the notification said so), but our names didn't.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 01:22:55 PM »

P.S. Now you've got me wondering: does that taboo include people joining the SSPX?

People who attend the SSPX, think of joining the SSPX, and other RC Traditionalists run into problems at CAF.  Below is a link to a thread at fisheaters.com.

A guilty pleasure of mine is to lurk around their forum.  I find it entertaining.
In a grisly fascination with a train wreck sort of way.

Personna

Faith: I no longer post here.

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

In a grisly fascination with a train wreck sort of way.

Everyone needs a hobby.  What I find most interesting is the fact that the thread on fisheaters started about the same time as this one.  CAF seems to be doing an almost Soviet style purge.  They are going after both Trad Catholics and Orthodox.  They are getting rid of people who don't tow the Moderators' party line. 
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »

"Any further PMs to me regarding amnesty for a particular banned member will result in an instant suspension."

Thought begets heresy.  Heresy begets retribution.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »

Thought begets heresy.  Heresy begets retribution.

No more thinking?

I'm going to need this.
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 02:45:57 PM »

All I can say is that the spirit of Catholicism is well within Catholic Answers. The mods think they are little popes! All they care about is authority.

"Let the mouth also fast from disgraceful speeches and railings. For what does it profit if we abstain from fish and fowl and yet bite and devour our brothers and sisters? The evil speaker eats the flesh of his brother and bites the body of his neighbor. "
— St. John Chrysostom
Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 03:18:48 PM »

Is it the excessive reaction of a Moderator, reacting to just one issue with one person?  Is the Moderator new to the job at CAF and uneducated about the position which the Vatican holds with regard to Orthodoxy? Does he not realise that his action is belittling to Orthodoxy in general and very destructive of the attitude towards the Orthodox which the Pope and the Vatican wish Catholics to cultivate?

Is this another reaction as in 2007 because too many Catholics are converting to Orthodoxy?

I certainly find it excessive. The moderator is not that new but he did replace a rather more lax one some time back. I mind you am an oddity over there as half my family is Orthodox so I do find it somewhat disrespectful myself. I think he's over-reacted and is seeing agendas and conspiracies where there are none.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »

I certainly find it excessive. The moderator is not that new but he did replace a rather more lax one some time back. I mind you am an oddity over there as half my family is Orthodox so I do find it somewhat disrespectful myself. I think he's over-reacted and is seeing agendas and conspiracies where there are none.
Isn't this the same mod who banned discussion of Atheism and Islam, or am I thinking of someone else?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »

All I can say is that the spirit of Catholicism is well within Catholic Answers. The mods think they are little popes! All they care about is authority.

Hold on a sec ... you think the "spirit of Catholicism" is that each person should be a little pope?

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »

Agreed. But, it wasn't always that way, as those here and at byzcath who once participated there, remember.

On a side note, I was rather puzzled when I first noticed that all this hasn't been mentioned at all on the byzcath forum. I wonder if that's due to the fact that CAF only banned EO discussion and not EC discussion, or if it's more that byzcath posters don't pay a lot of attention to what happens at CAF.

Peter,

CAF's shenanigans have generally been of little interest at Byzcath because relatively few among the long-time core members at Byzcath, both Catholic and Orthodox, ever spent much time at CAF (the most notable exception being myself, during my incarnation as the old CAF Eastern Christianity forum mod). After the EO/EC purge at CAF of a few years back, most of the EO refugees from CAF and a few of the EC refugees came here (some of us, myself included, were already members here).

That reflects, in part, the difference between here and ByzCath. The atmosphere here is more debate-oriented than at ByzCath and the old EC forum at CAF included a lot of debate, though it was also highly focused toward education and discussion (hard to find evidence of that, given the many, many 1000s of posts by Fr Ambrose, myself, isa, hesychios, and many others, that were 'archived' on its closure). While debate transpires at ByzCath, it is generally more subdued and short-lived. (I'll hazard the opinion that such relates to the majority of the Catholic posters here who engage in debate being neither EC nor OC, but canonical Latins.)

The core Eastern population at CAF in the 'old' days (both Catholic and Orthodox) was close-knit and quick to rally in support of one another against Latins who would descend and try to run roughshod over the East - an observation on which I'm pretty certain that Father Ambrose, isa, and even stashko would agree.

Many years,

Neil

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:20:16 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2011, 01:17:26 AM »

^ Like my brother said Cheesy

Anyone who doubts that such a thing would be done is well-advised to read the old CAF refugee thread here at OC.net and count the 'banned, but unlabeled'. Let's see .. there would be Father Ambrose, myself, isa, 'Joe Monahan' (my alter ego as a CAF mod - labeled as 'resigned', but 'banned' for all intents and purposes), the list goes on ...

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
TristanCross
Chief Of Sinners
Elder

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2011, 03:38:18 AM »

Hold on a sec ... you think the "spirit of Catholicism" is that each person should be a little pope?

The spirit of Catholicism is the quest for authority Tongue

Don't worry, I'm only half serious  laugh

— St. John Chrysostom
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »

Hello Father,
The Gurney Halleck at the epicentre of the CAF storm.... I've read some of his posts and he has style and knowledge, humour and pizazz.....

Someone should invite him to OC.net....
Please bless!  Smiley

Yes, Gurney has a lot of passion, but he needs time to think. I don't know where he posts any more, if he posts at all.

I give him high marks for sincerity of conscience (he is equally as challenging to every faith tradition), but he is probably still in 'search mode'. It's a rough road he has been traveling on.

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »

Anyone who doubts that such a thing would be done is well-advised to read the old CAF refugee thread here at OC.net and count the 'banned, but unlabeled'. Let's see .. there would be Father Ambrose, myself, isa, 'Joe Monahan' (my alter ego as a CAF mod - labeled as 'resigned', but 'banned' for all intents and purposes), the list goes on ...

Many years,

Neil
Hello my good brother Neil!
 Smiley

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »

Many years,

Neil
I can see why I was banned.  But the banning of Irish Melkite was just obscene, along with the sacking of Joe Monahan.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »

Many years,

Neil
Hello my good brother Neil!
 Smiley

Hello to you too! Visit more often here!

Jharek Carnelian

Faith: Less than perfect Catholic. Married to member of ROC

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »

Isn't this the same mod who banned discussion of Atheism and Islam, or am I thinking of someone else?

As far as I remember he banned Islam for a time. I'm not sure it was him who banned discussion on atheism though or whether that was another mod in another sub-forum. Certainly Gurney is still banned. When they banned him the word banned was not inserted under his user name. I see others here have previous experience of simialr happenings there. Highly dishonest I feel for such a practise to occur.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2011, 04:26:36 PM »

Hello to you too! Visit more often here!
Hi Isa!

Maybe I will  Undecided

I really need to escape the pit of perennial darkness and confusion. I feel I have suffered enough.

Michael

Jaroslav Pelikan
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »

an internet topic about internet topics??
 Huh
i pray u all find someone to talk to outside of the computer!
 Wink
ok, that includes myself as well coz i actually read this thread!
gonna go now and interact with the outside world...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 04:30:27 PM by mabsoota » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2011, 07:04:02 PM »

(I'll hazard the opinion that such relates to the majority of the Catholic posters here who engage in debate being neither EC nor OC, but canonical Latins.)

Don't forget elijahmaria.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »

Huh
 Wink

I would say you are interacting with the world outside -- the world outside of Orthodoxy, that is.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2011, 07:48:42 PM »

Many years,

Neil
Mr. Monahan, if that is you, how did it feel to get a taste of your own medicine (of banning people at CAF)?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:52:11 PM by stanley123 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2011, 07:53:23 PM »

Huh
 Wink

Same here, mabsoota.   Smiley  If it weren't raining right now, I'd go swimming. Dang!   Wink

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2011, 08:23:09 PM »

Mr. Monahan, if that is you, how did it feel to get a taste of your own medicine (of banning people at CAF)?

I hope you remembered to duck after posting that on an Orthodox forum.  Shocked  laugh

But seriously, my impression is that people were less upset about 'Joe Monahan' being banned than they were about the secret bannings.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »

I hope you remembered to duck after posting that on an Orthodox forum.  Shocked  laugh

But seriously, my impression is that people were less upset about 'Joe Monahan' being banned than they were about the secret bannings.
Not I.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »

Not I.

That probably shouldn't surprise me, yet it does.

Tags: CAF 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: