OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 27, 2014, 09:12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New testament worship "style"?  (Read 2697 times) Average Rating: 0
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 08:37:18 PM »

Although, I have to say he definitely has had a development in his thought from the early 80s till now, whether he realizes it or not.
In what ways? I've not heard his older stuff.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »

Fr. Thom will tell you that if you just listen to any two of his *seminars* you will get pretty much 90% of what he has to say.

It's because he rambles around so much.  Cheesy

I love Fr Hopko's podcasts in general, but I can't do too much at once or I go nuts. Seriously though, he has a lot of good things to say IMO.

Said it before and will say it again, if it weren't for that man, I mean in a direct manner, none of you would have the pleasure of printing out my posts to place in your icon corner.  //:=|

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 08:59:19 PM »

I think that I just need to have a little time off. I am trying to get through "The Names of Jesus" right now and can't shake the feeling that he's just going through a concordance and reading every instance of a key word in the scriptures out loud.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »

I think that I just need to have a little time off. I am trying to get through "The Names of Jesus" right now and can't shake the feeling that he's just going through a concordance and reading every instance of a key word in the scriptures out loud.
Maybe that's just what we need sometimes laugh.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »

His poorest work. Gave up one that one. His seminars are where he shines, IMHO. But they are redundant to a degree.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
garanita

Faith: Catechumen

« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »

Thanks everybody for your input.  Much appreciated.  I've been able to access a lot of material on the Internet on the subject.  I listened to the podcast by Fr Tom Hopko too.  And while he's not exactly characterised by the conciseness of his talks, he did make some very good points. 

It's also been refreshing to find a good "tone" on this forum.  There are some forums that I've looked at in the past where people seem intent on proving everyone else wrong, and they're not pleasant places to be.  That does not seem to be the case here - so I look forward to sharing with you all into the future!

Gary
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »

It's also been refreshing to find a good "tone" on this forum.  There are some forums that I've looked at in the past where people seem intent on proving everyone else wrong, and they're not pleasant places to be.  That does not seem to be the case here - so I look forward to sharing with you all into the future!

Gary

It can get that way at times, but generally this forum is more like coffee hour than an ecumenical council.  Smiley

Glad we could be of some help!
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

It can get that way at times, but generally this forum is more like coffee hour than an ecumenical council.  Smiley

Could it be said that this forum is an "ecumenical coffee hour"?
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »

One of my recent converts showed me this video, and said it is the 'evangelical liturgical structure' of this decade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys4Nx0rNlAM

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »

The last church I went to was almost exactly like that lol.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 11:51:08 PM »

I took a homeletics class from an Anglican priestess when I worked at Fuller.  She showed our class scripts from popular preachers to demonstrate how the formulas work.  It was fascinating.

The last church I went to was almost exactly like that lol.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 12:00:54 AM »

I bet it was, ha!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »

Thanks everybody for your input.  Much appreciated.  I've been able to access a lot of material on the Internet on the subject.  I listened to the podcast by Fr Tom Hopko too.  And while he's not exactly characterised by the conciseness of his talks, he did make some very good points. 

Gary

Garanita--I am reading a book by two Evangelical Protestant theologians that back up what other posters have told you. It is "The Heresy of Orthodoxy: How Contemporary Culture's Fascination with Diversity Has Reshaped Our Understanding of Early Christianity" by Andreas Kostenberger and Michael Kruger. Andreas J. Köstenberger is Director of Ph.D. Studies and Professor of New Testament and Biblical Theology at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (Southern Baptist) in Wake Forest, North Carolina. Michael Kruger is Associate Professor of New Testament and Academic Dean at Reformed Theological Seminary (mainly Presbyterian/Reformed) in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Reading this book, it was amazing to read that the authors concur with the view of Christian orthodoxy that they attributed to Father John Behr, the Dean of Saint Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Academy, the flagship seminary of the Orthodox Church in America.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags: liturgy  new converts 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: